Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Arivia posted:

She’s pregnant. Those seem to be pregnancy effects that run in her family from what you’ve quoted.
You said she wasn't in any physical distress. That is a fuckload of physical distress.

quote:

She makes it very clear she wants a child, to have a family, etc.
Yes, and that she wanted a kid in literally any other way, all of which were shot down by her husband.

quote:

Also we’re hearing what the therapist said second hand so it might not be that blunt. Even if it is, “just do it and cope afterwards” is a pretty key anti-anxiety technique. This is the kind of stuff my therapist does with me for my own anxiety issues and so on. I get the feeling you’ve never actually done anti-anxiety therapy. This fits pretty well.
That's a good technique for when you have to, like, ask a stranger the time or knock over a display in a grocery store. "Suck it up and power through" is not a good technique when you're in tremendous distress and trying to decide whether to have an abortion or kill yourself. In any case, it isn't encouragement and in this case it isn't remotely helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Midnight Voyager posted:

man, if that's how she copes with the thought of having to terminate a baby she wants in a situation she doesn't want, she can go for it. That's pretty harmless as far as things go. It's not like she's a Christian Scientist or something.

Also, it's clear her therapist is poo poo, because he's not dealing with any of this:

:murder: the therapist.

Exposure therapy is the only real cure for phobias. :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My [22/M] girlfriend [22/F] accidentally damaged my friend's [21/M] laptop, and he wants me to break up with her because of it, or else he's ending our friendship.

quote:

I AM NOT BREAKING UP WITH MY GIRLFRIEND OVER THIS. I WANT TO MAKE THAT CLEAR. THANK YOU.

I've known my buddy [21/M] since I started going to university 4 years ago. My girlfriend [22/F] is my best friend of 16 years and we've been dating for two months.

She asked to borrow his laptop to do homework, when the three of us were hanging out at his home. While carrying it she slipped on a water spill, she didn't get hurt, but the laptop was damaged badly, albeit still repairable.

My friend started losing his poo poo at my girlfriend, even though she apologized and offered to pay for the cost of the repair. I pulled him aside and asked why the hell he was freaking out. He said I needed to break up with my girlfriend because of how careless she was, or else we couldn't be friends anymore. Then he went on a weird rant about how I shouldn't have started dating her in the first place because I deserve better, but I think he was projecting hard about something.

It boggles my mind that he wants me to break up with her because she accidentally damaged his laptop, over his negligence in not cleaning up the spilled water. I'm not breaking up with my girlfriend, so I assume my friendship with him is over.

The thing is, he's a member of our team [5 people including myself] for the video game [League of Legends] that we play. He's irreplaceable, there's no one that we know of who is equal in skill level to him, that also plays his role. We take the game very seriously by meeting up and practicing every weekend, going over our replays to see how we can get better, improve our communication, etc.

I don't want to play with him anymore, or have him on the team because of the way he handled everything. I'm not sure how, or if I should bring up what happened to my other teammates.

There has been a recent development in the situation and an update will come soon.

tl;dr: My girlfriend asked to borrow my friend's laptop and she slipped on a water spill while carrying it. The laptop was damaged badly but is repairable. My friend lost his poo poo at my girlfriend even though she apologized and offered to pay for the cost of the repair.

He told me I needed to break up with her because of how careless she was, but then he went on some weird rant about how she didn't deserve to date me. He's a member of our team for the video game that we play together, and he's irreplaceable. I don't want to play with him, or have him be apart of the team anymore, but I don't know how or if I should bring that up with everyone.

[Update] My [22/M] girlfriend [22/F] accidentally damaged my friend's [21/M] laptop, and he wants me to break up with her because of it, or else he's ending our friendship.

quote:

My buddy called me yesterday to apologize for his overreaction over what my girlfriend did. There was something he wanted to discuss in person with me so I swung by his place shortly after.

He told me what he was about to say was really embarrassing for him. My friend admitted to being in love with me for the last 3-4 months. He thought he could handle his feelings [for the sake of our team] but after I started dating my girlfriend he became extremely jealous of her, and when she accidentally damaged his laptop that was the breaking point for him.

Somehow he thought he'd make me break up with my girlfriend, giving him a chance to get with me, but of course that was never going to happen, and he didn't want to end our friendship anyways in the first place.

Afterwards he offered an apology to my girlfriend which she accepted, and told her she wouldn't have to pay for the repair cost because of his carelessness in not cleaning up the water spill that he made earlier.

He wanted to pause our friendship indefinitely because he was struggling with his sexuality/feelings for me and needed time away to figure himself out. That also meant he couldn't be on the team anymore so he quit.

I feel relieved knowing that my buddy isn't a complete rear end in a top hat. He was just dealing with a bunch of personal issues and what my girlfriend did brought him over the top, but he owned up for his actions and made things right. Although, it sucks that we lost our best player, but like a lot of people said, he’s not irreplaceable and eventually we’ll find someone to replace him.

tl;dr: My friend apologized to my girlfriend and I on how he handled the situation. He admitted to being in love with me, said he was struggling with his sexuality, and needed time away from our friendship to figure himself out. He also told my girlfriend she wouldn't have to pay for his laptop, because of his carelessness in not cleaning up the water spill that he made.

Also, he quit the team which means we lost our best player, and we couldn't practice last weekend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me a lot of We Need to Talk About Kevin.

If she needs to get an abortion, she has to do it asap. And get a divorce lawyer on the phone as she leaves the clinic because poo poo will get ugly fast.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Are you seriously saying that the biological imperative to reproduce is a dumb and arbitrary thing for people to be influenced by

because this is living-organism 101 stuff

Don't be silly, I'm saying that if you seem to be out of options that don't severely harm your spouse physically or mentally, the biological imperative to reproduce should be something you can get past. And even non-human animals adopt.

I had a coworker like that. Three miscarriages and he still wanted to impregnate his wife for a kid despite the doctor saying it could kill her. ADAMANT against adopting or surrogacy or anything not his dick in her bits. The only explanation he could give was "But it wouldn't be MY kid." Well, now it's not his marriage either.

Danaru posted:

My [22/M] girlfriend [22/F] accidentally damaged my friend's [21/M] laptop, and he wants me to break up with her because of it, or else he's ending our friendship.

[Update] My [22/M] girlfriend [22/F] accidentally damaged my friend's [21/M] laptop, and he wants me to break up with her because of it, or else he's ending our friendship.

Oh, that's actually sweet. :unsmith: Other than the weird focus on the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Drunk uncle [40’s m] kept asking young girl to kiss him on the lips

quote:

My uncle was really drunk at a party the other night, and a family friend brought their daughter who’s maybe 10. He gave her a hundred dollar bill and kept asking her to kiss him. I told the friends, and they got her and left.

I’m really sick over this. I honestly haven’t ever seen him do this kind of thing. Is it a warning sign? I think it’s vile, and am considering cutting him out. But, is this behavior normal?! I just am so upset and need advice.

Tl;dr drunk uncle was asking kid to kiss him. Need advice about behavior

:dogbutton:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

Well, time to open up the team.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Danaru posted:

No don't cut him out of your life, cut him out of his.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Danaru posted:

The uncle's name is Tom Brady

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wish adoption didn't cost so much.

At this point I'm hoping a baby rocket crashes into our driveway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

awww are you going to raise it to be a big rocket someday :3:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Beachcomber posted:

I thought this was a really weird innuendo for a minute

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pvt.Scott posted:

Exposure therapy is the only real cure for phobias. :colbert:

This is true, but exposure therapy is done in planned titrations in a controlled environment. This isn't that.

Anne Whateley posted:

That's a good technique for when you have to, like, ask a stranger the time or knock over a display in a grocery store. "Suck it up and power through" is not a good technique when you're in tremendous distress and trying to decide whether to have an abortion or kill yourself. In any case, it isn't encouragement and in this case it isn't remotely helpful.

This is accurate. You don't use exposure therapy techniques for dealing with a problem of this magnitude. It'd be like stabbing someone in the chest as exposure therapy for a phobia of needles.

For her own sake I hope she has a miscarriage.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Exposure therapy works super well, just watch that clip of Maury where they bring out a giant plate of pickles for the lady that has a phobia of pickles and she is instantly cured.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

awww are you going to raise it to be a big rocket someday :3:

We aren't having a lot of luck using traditional methods.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

loquacius posted:

Are you seriously saying that the biological imperative to reproduce is a dumb and arbitrary thing for people to be influenced by

because this is living-organism 101 stuff
The biological imperative to reproduce is definitely a factor but the health of your partner takes priority with most people. And humans are pretty good at translating 'desire for a legacy' into things other than having biological children.

It's really moot anyway because they apparently have the resources to do things via a surrogate and the husband vetoed that, so it's not even just he wants biological kids, it's he wants HER to be pregnant when that makes her suicidal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

We aren't having a lot of luck using traditional methods.

If I had to guess the issue appears to be you're trying to put a man in the moon

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

The biological imperative to reproduce is definitely a factor but the health of your partner takes priority with most people. And humans are pretty good at translating 'desire for a legacy' into things other than having biological children.

It's really moot anyway because they apparently have the resources to do things via a surrogate and the husband vetoed that, so it's not even just he wants biological kids, it's he wants HER to be pregnant when that makes her suicidal.

He's totally within in his right to want kids the way he wants kids, and she was totally within her right to say she couldn't do that. He didn't force her down this path, she tried because she wanted it more than she wanted a divorce. Neither of them are bad people for pursuing what they wanted, it's just unfortunate that it's mutually exclusive.

As far as what she should do now I have no idea, if she really is in a spot where she's thinking of killing herself she probably has to just end the pregnancy and her marriage.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Dienes posted:

This is true, but exposure therapy is done in planned titrations in a controlled environment. This isn't that.

This is accurate. You don't use exposure therapy techniques for dealing with a problem of this magnitude. It'd be like stabbing someone in the chest as exposure therapy for a phobia of needles.

For her own sake I hope she has a miscarriage.

I know. I’ve done exposure therapy. Can’t a fella make light of a horrible tragedy?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Gorefluff posted:

lol! I watched this the other night. One of my wife’s boyfriend’s favourite movies and pretty much the only thing we bond over is quoting that masterpiece.

so are we all going to ignore this or

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ArbitraryC posted:

He's totally within in his right to want kids the way he wants kids, and she was totally within her right to say she couldn't do that. He didn't force her down this path, she tried because she wanted it more than she wanted a divorce. Neither of them are bad people for pursuing what they wanted, it's just unfortunate that it's mutually exclusive.

As far as what she should do now I have no idea, if she really is in a spot where she's thinking of killing herself she probably has to just end the pregnancy and her marriage.
No, he's not. It's fair for him to want biological kids, but he does not get to nix a surrogate using his wife's egg and his sperm when his wife has a phobia of being pregnant because it just doesn't feel authentic to him that way. He's not the one who gets to feel someone else literally growing inside his body. If the problem with a surrogate isn't a financial problem, then he IS in the wrong.

EDIT: Like yeah if she gets an abortion which is the healthiest option for her at this point it's absolutely going to tank the marriage. I don't think that makes him a villain. But while he didn't force her into a pregnancy, there's some kind of sketchy things going on that are probably more societal issues than him being a Bad Person but it's still poo poo.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 6, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

so are we all going to ignore this or

oh my god don't give poly people a reason to talk about themselves!! thats even worse than me talking!!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pick posted:

oh my god don't give poly people a reason to talk about themselves!! thats even worse than me talking!!!

:emptyquote:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

No, he's not. It's fair for him to want biological kids, but he does not get to nix a surrogate using his wife's egg and his sperm when his wife has a phobia of being pregnant because it just doesn't feel authentic to him that way. He's not the one who gets to feel someone else literally growing inside his body. If the problem with a surrogate isn't a financial problem, then he IS in the wrong.
He wanted a conventional pregnancy and that's an okay thing for him to want, it's something they should have divorced over previously but she was willing to try because to her that seemed like a better option than ending things without trying. They're each allowed to have their own priorities it just seems like they're mutually exclusive. Neither is a bad person for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

She should get an abortion, they should divorce, and Carthage must be destroyed. These are all obvious truths.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Like yeah if she gets an abortion which is the healthiest option for her at this point it's absolutely going to tank the marriage. I don't think that makes him a villain. But while he didn't force her into a pregnancy, there's some kind of sketchy things going on that are probably more societal issues than him being a Bad Person but it's still poo poo.
From her own post we can clearly see he's done basically everything he can to take care of her during her pregnancy, maybe he just wanted to experience childbirth and pregnancy together rather than through a middlewoman. That's his prerogative. she wanted a kid too but also wanted to stay with him and seems to have tried her absolute hardest to make things work, but she can't, that's fine too. Imo neither are bad people it's just a sad situation.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I would say making your wife feel pressured into going through a “traditional” pregnancy, which you know she has a phobia about and could potentially be very difficult for her and she’s expressed that she would much rather go with other options, is in fact kind of bad.

Of course he can want whatever he wants, but I’d say what he wants in this case is pretty selfish. And no, I don’t think he’s an absolute monster or anything.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
They both thought they could work through it though, at worst it's naivety. Dude wants a normal rear end family with a normal rear end pregnancy and conception, that's totally achievable as a 29 year old who presumably is p well off. It's okay that he wants thing that's not compatible with her. In the same token she was obviously willing to try because she wanted to keep the relationship, it's not like she strung him along or anything it's just she realized through this experience no amount of therapy is ever gonna make it a possibility. No one forced anyone to do anything, it was just clear to them both that their options were "try or end relationship", she went with try and found she simply couldn't do it.

They're barely 30, they can both find someone more compatible.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I should go back to pointing out the bit of this I quoted where she absolutely felt pressured to do this to keep her marriage and where she's starting to hate him.

Again.

Seriously, you can feel pressured into doing something by someone just ignoring your obvious problems and pressing on with it because maybe you'll change your mind. That's all pressure is. He can do it without being a monster, but he absolutely should have listened to her problems way before it got this far.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 6, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
And she always had the option to say no and have that be that. His pressuring was him expressing what he wanted out of their relationship and her deciding that it was worth trying because she wanted to keep that relationship. I guess if you wanna bust out the ideal world scenario then yeah he would have accepted she was only agreeing because she was desperate to stay involved with him and he should have ended things proactively, but dude's a human who loves her too and was naively clinging to the hope things would work out when they tried.

He didn't proactively end things for the same reason she tried to go through with the pregnancy, they both wanted things to work out despite the clear writing on the wall. It's just a sad story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Barudak posted:

If I had to guess the issue appears to be you're trying to put a man in the moon

:drat:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

And she always had the option to say no and have that be that. His pressuring was him expressing what he wanted out of their relationship and her deciding that it was worth trying because she wanted to keep that relationship. I guess if you wanna bust out the ideal world scenario then yeah he would have accepted she was only agreeing because she was desperate to stay involved with him and he should have ended things proactively, but dude's a human who loves her too and was naively clinging to the hope things would work out when they tried.

He didn't proactively end things for the same reason she tried to go through with the pregnancy, they both wanted things to work out despite the clear writing on the wall. It's just a sad story.

Pressuring is always okay as long as the other person doesn't have a gun to their head! I mean, not saying no is the same thing as consent, right? In an ideal world, nobody would pressure anybody into things they didn't want, but here we are, so pressure all you like and it's fine.

Let me put it this way. Dude pressures a girlfriend for sex. He naively thinks that he is supposed to do this, this is how relationships are supposed to work. She eventually caves, even though she always had the option to say no. He wouldn't have hurt her if she said no. Yes, the dude was naive and stupid, but it was a lovely thing to do. It is not less lovely just because the girl caved. It's not even less lovely if the girl isn't super traumatized by it and they go on to have a happy relationship. It is still a lovely thing on its own. Shittiness does not require malice.

I'm not saying put a bullet in his drat head. He should be informed that this was a lovely thing to do going forward.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wait.

Me [32F] with my husband [31 M] of 4 years have very different backgrounds and little comments are concerning me

quote:

My husband and I are a very good in a great relationships (of course we have our ups and downs) - life is pretty normal for us tbh - we have a nice home and a couple of cute kids and leftover money each month and some savings and cars etc

Growing up his family were very middle class - his parents own a couple of homes and he has never had to worry about money - college was paid for - he worked part time until his mid 20s.

Growing up for me was very different - My mom was a single parent from when I was 3 and I was homeless from 15 - 19. I managed to turn my life around and get back on my feet before i met him.

He refuses to acknowledge my past or talk about it or listen when I try to tell him about it.

We often discuss current events / the news and recently there was a story about a man who had died living on the streets due to people throwing away his sleeping bag. He started going on about how the man should have accepted help and gone to the shelter like he was offered. I tried to share an experience of when I spent some nights in a shelter and how horrendous it was and how i chose to sleep on the streets instead of returning there.

He then said that he was sorry what had happened to me but that wasnt relevant and people like that wont change unless everything is laid out for them but I am different because I didnt need help (i did need and receive a hell of a lot of help). He doesnt know how i turned things around because he has never asked or listened.

We have quite high homelessness in our city and he often makes comments when we see someone on the street that they should just get a job or there is so much help out there that there is no reason for them to be on the streets and they just dont want to sort themselves out.

How can I educate him and open him up to see that it isnt just that easy and get him to listen about my experiences from the darker times in my life?

tl;dr: Husband is from a traditional Middle Class background whereas I had a much rougher time - his comments about homeless people are concerning as I used to be homeless

Holy gently caress, define middle class

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
It really wasn't though because his desire was perfectly reasonable and a p normal path forward for a relationship.

If two 30 year olds were in a relationship with no sex life and one partner inferred that if things didn't change it'd be over I don't think that'd be an unreasonable level of pressure either no. It'd be okay to divorce over a dead bedroom and it's weird to imply that'd be some form of attempted rape.

I would agree that there are unreasonable demands you could try to leverage a relationship over that could be considered abuse even if there were no implied threat of retaliation, but someone wanting something incredibly common to relationships is not that imo, it's just them having incompatible life goals.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wait.

Me [32F] with my husband [31 M] of 4 years have very different backgrounds and little comments are concerning me

Holy gently caress, define middle class

:thermidor:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Beachcomber posted:

I would highly recommend you look into fost-adoption. While there are their own level of variables (race of the child, uncertainties about permanent adoption) unlike conventional adoption it doesn't really cost anything and you get a lot of financial support along the way.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oh my god, I wanted to give ArbitraryC the benefit of the doubt and not just accept what whoever said, that he always had the worst opinions, but I give up, I regret my optimism

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Danaru posted:

Absolutely kill him

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

oh my god, I wanted to give ArbitraryC the benefit of the doubt and not just accept what whoever said, that he always had the worst opinions, but I give up, I regret my optimism

What did he say in that that you so strongly disagree with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

Pressuring is always okay as long as the other person doesn't have a gun to their head! I mean, not saying no is the same thing as consent, right? In an ideal world, nobody would pressure anybody into things they didn't want, but here we are, so pressure all you like and it's fine.

Let me put it this way. Dude pressures a girlfriend for sex. He naively thinks that he is supposed to do this, this is how relationships are supposed to work. She eventually caves, even though she always had the option to say no. He wouldn't have hurt her if she said no. Yes, the dude was naive and stupid, but it was a lovely thing to do. It is not less lovely just because the girl caved. It's not even less lovely if the girl isn't super traumatized by it and they go on to have a happy relationship. It is still a lovely thing on its own. Shittiness does not require malice.

I'm not saying put a bullet in his drat head. He should be informed that this was a lovely thing to do going forward.

I think you're being a little nonsensically robotic about this. This is something that's a deal breaker for the guy, so the relationship would've ended if they didn't do it. She cared(or thought she did) more about the relationship than this, so she did it. Like, I don't know what you're actually saying, here; there were basically exactly two options between them doing this thing that is important to him or them divorcing. Should the dude have just dumped her upon finding out about this, or what? That's kind of reasonable, if so, but I feel like it's a little unrealistic.