Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah while we're still talking about FFXII, everyone who said the game had god-tier voice acting were just high on nostalgia right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah while we're still talking about FFXII, everyone who said the game had god-tier voice acting were just high on nostalgia right

It could be a lot worse. A HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Your Computer posted:

Going from X to XII was a hell of a thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lobster22221 posted:

point taken

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Computer posted:

Not if you're listening to the Japanese track

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lobster22221 posted:

What an amazing contradiction

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Not if you're listening to the Japanese track

See, this is why I'm asking. I've seen it told so many times that turning on the Japanese voices is the biggest videogame crime of the century because then you'll miss out on the best voice acting ever produced.

and I'm uh, not seeing it :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 6, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fran's accent is good and Balthier I guess but that's it. The Japanese track has Norio Wakamoto hamming it up eventually.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The voice acting is really good for the time, and they did an especially good job of giving all of the main and supporting characters distinct voices that let you easily identify them. And of course Gideon Emory :swoon:

But FFX has started to grow on me after I started hearing Wakka as Jason from the Good Place.

e: drat now I want a mod for FFX that replaces Wakka's dialogue with Jason's Florida stories. It'd make about as much sense as the rest of FFX.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The Japanese track has Norio Wakamoto hamming it up eventually.

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

I made the right choice

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Your Computer posted:

See, this is why I'm asking. I've seen it told so many times that turning on the Japanese voices is the biggest videogame crime of the century because then you'll miss out on the best voice acting ever produced.

and I'm uh, not seeing it :v:

Most of the acting is just so-so with a good points here and there, but I think the parts people enjoy are Cid and Gilgamesh. They have an energy the rest of the game is lacking. I'd argue Vayne does pretty well too. Also Balthier. Balthier's acting is exactly what the character needs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's not in a ton but Al-Cid steals every scene he is in

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

He's not in a ton but Al-Cid steals every scene he is in

I had forgotten about Al-Cid

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Simon Templeman was criminally underused as Judge Zargabaath. You may remember him from such roles as Kain from the Legacy of Kain series, and Loghain from Dragon Age Origins.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vaan saying choyss morssselss

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Barudak posted:

Once a character joins your party, excepting guest characters, they're just joined for good. So basically just pick the three characters you like and go tell the other ones to go huff glue or whatever bench-warmers do in FF games.

It's also relevant to note that levels don't really matter as much in 12, especially the re-release version, because the license board is where you get huge gobs of stats from and LP is shared across all party members even if XP isn't because I DON'T KNOW.

Thanks (and to the others who replied). I've been using Archer/Red Battlemage jobs for Fran and haven't really needed to use a white mage at all. Occasionally I'll drop Ashe in for flan but I've just been powering through so far using brute force. I won't worry about grinding them unless I go for the achievement.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't get playing a game in Japanese unless you actually speak it, any benefit of "better voice acting" would just be lost to if it all sounds like gibberish.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a scene in the Ozmone Plain where Ashe is bitter about negotiating with the Empire for peace, saying her people would never accept it. Basch butts in and goes, 'the alternative is war. If you can spare them that, then might be the best to look past your own hangups with this idea.'

Or something like that.

That's uh... basically Vaan's interactions with her in Jahara you just described. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8cXPNpFLA&t=281s

Sapozhnik posted:

The very first announcement of FFXII was a picture of Archades with I think a hooded Basch walking down the street toward the camera so maybe that's where that comes from

No the first images of FFXII was Vaan in the Selikawoods. At the time, in design, his character name was "Aqua" and he was the first character to be drawn, though the last to be designed (Penelo even came before him conceptually).

quote:

Vaan's early name was "Aqua" (アクア, as seen in Akihiko Yoshida's concept art) and intended to be an Iyashi kei character (癒し系, "therapeutic type", a kind of Japanese stock character). Vaan is known for going over several personality changes over the course of development, originally written as a rugged and world-worn character until the developers reconsidered the target demographic and Vaan was rewritten to be more effeminate. After Kouhei Takeda was cast as his voice, the developers rewrote Vaan to match the energetic personality his voice lent to the character.

quote:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/7/75/Vaan-concept.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170707125449

This is the first art drawn for FFXII, the 'Aqua' piece.

I've gone over it before, but Vaan's interactions with Ashe are important for he is the stand-in for the masses for her. He travels the same road, he lost someone he loved on the same day to the same man she did. He spent the same time hating the empire and desiring revenge, but while Ashe eventually let rage consume her, Vaan hid his grief, by, in his own words "Saying I'll be a sky pirate or something stupid like that. Anything to take my mind off it." The Occuria attempted to lure Vaan as much as they did Ashe, by showing him visions of the dead, but unlike her, he came to realize that his hatred and desire for revenge did nothing for him. Every time the Nethicite comes up, Vaan tells Ashe to destroy it, he's very focused on essentially leading her off the path of destruction.

Again, the other major scene is at the Pharos, where Ashe is considering cutting the stone and he tells her, to her face, "You're going to destroy it, aren't you." She tells him not to interrupt. And I'm sure most people didn't actually catch the delivery or meaning there. Ashe, in both her initial encounters with Vaan, when they're being arrested, and when they're rescuing her she snaps at him to "Not interrupt her." On the Pharos, her voice direction is whimsical and nostalgic, at peace. And when Gabranth comes out as her final temptation to stoke her rage, she looks to Vaan, who calms himself for her, nodding to her and rejecting Gabranth's call for violence.

Like... I'm sorry I know he's not very well liked but his purpose and participation in the game is pretty loving big.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How the hell isn't there a mod that replaces Wakka's dialogue with Bender's yet?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

I don't get playing a game in Japanese unless you actually speak it, any benefit of "better voice acting" would just be lost to if it all sounds like gibberish.

And I don't get why you're making posts when they all read like gibberish but here we are :colbert:

I joke of course, but it's kinda weird to think of languages you don't speak as "gibberish". fwiw I'm not a native English speaker either so it's a bit of a pet peeve for me when people insist that stuff should be in English because it's more "natural".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega64 posted:

How the hell isn't there a mod that replaces Wakka's dialogue with Bender's yet?

Who'd notice the difference?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Vaan also serves as an excuse for the party to be doing hunts, if I'm being fair. Wonder if krrpinh the "rugged and world-worn" character for him and keeping the same general plot beats might have made him better received.

Your Computer posted:

fwiw I'm not a native English speaker either so it's a bit of a pet peeve for me when people insist that stuff should be in English because it's more "natural".

I'm not a native english speaker either. :ssh: Not claiming English is better, I'm happy to consume media in any language I actually comprehend.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 6, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you think about it Vaan is just a poor (wealth-wise) version of Ramza, except with voice acting and, most importantly, getting no real agency of his own since he's following people with actual status.

Vaan would probably be better liked if he had a more apparent role in leading the party like every other FF protagonist. Even games like FFX where the path is set, Tidus shook things up enough with his big dumb mouth that it was clear this was his story. Meanwhile Vaan gets shouted down by Vengeance Princess and the Leading Man, so who loving cares about Vaan.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
When people say 12 has great voice acting they mean the part where vaan's CAPTAIN BASCH OF DALMASCA

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Avalerion posted:

I think your preferences are somewhat molded by where you live, in my country nothing gets dubbed except for television shows for kids who are too young to read subtitles. A lot of older people don't understand English at all but they still watch television series in English on a daily basis without any problems. Same with German or French movies for example, watching them dubbed instead of in their original languages would feel weird as hell to me despite not understanding either language.

It's just a matter of preference, there isn't really anything to "get".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

That's uh... basically Vaan's interactions with her in Jahara you just described. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8cXPNpFLA&t=281s

And the day after as the group heads to the Henne Mines, Ashe has another conversation with Basch. Mind he doesn't basically tell her to get over herself, but nudges her along the idea that 'Dalmascans probably deserve peace.'

Vaan doesn't know enough about politics to give Ashe any advice on that, which is, at the same time, what she also needs - a voice free of any political trappings or ties.

Also on the subject of VAing, Judge Drace was also great. Honestly, all the judges were pretty fantastic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zodiac Age is the first time in close to a decade where I've voluntarily chosen dub over sub. How much of that is nostalgia from playing 12 back at launch is debateable but at the very least, it's not skin crawling bad which is the highest praise I can personally give a dub.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

And the day after as the group heads to the Henne Mines, Ashe has another conversation with Basch. Mind he doesn't basically tell her to get over herself, but nudges her along the idea that 'Dalmascans probably deserve peace.'

Vaan doesn't know enough about politics to give Ashe any advice on that, which is, at the same time, what she also needs - a voice free of any political trappings or ties.

Also on the subject of VAing, Judge Drace was also great. Honestly, all the judges were pretty fantastic.

Everyone has their Ashe moment, really. Balthier I believe has something for her at the Phon Coast. Which is what I really love about FF12, like... Nobody really doesn't have a reason to be there, Penelo is the closest and the directors already mentioned that... they had to cut her stuff, that's what makes up a bulk of revenant wings, her feelings regarding her brothers' death and the like.

The Judge's knocked it out of the park, like... Larsa's VA is suffering because they're trying to get across this very polite, stilted kid. Which just comes across as awkward. Vayne and Cid are also really good, especially Cid's mad ramblings. I love this game... it's a pity it's pacing so balls. Like it's actually a really good story, but events happen like... very far spaced apart. And it has so many repeating like... themes or lines.

"Haven't you best be off? Fool of a pirate."

Mega64 posted:

If you think about it Vaan is just a poor (wealth-wise) version of Ramza, except with voice acting and, most importantly, getting no real agency of his own since he's following people with actual status.

Vaan would probably be better liked if he had a more apparent role in leading the party like every other FF protagonist. Even games like FFX where the path is set, Tidus shook things up enough with his big dumb mouth that it was clear this was his story. Meanwhile, Vaan gets shouted down by Vengeance Princess and the Leading Man, so who loving cares about Vaan.

One of Vaan's best and hilarious moments is also a really misunderstood one. It's the one at the Viera village where they're stuck asking them to lower the barrier, and everyone's trying their best to just get through to the stubborn elves Viera, and then Vaan's just like "Holy poo poo, if you're not going to let the barrier down then just shut up and come out with it because you are wasting our time." He's just like... so done with their poo poo and that eventually makes the Viera bend and ask them for help. And like... Balthier's super impressed and everyone thinks he's grown up and matured more... and then he goes to Fran "How... old are you exactly." And it reveals just how childish he is in spite of his growth. I love it, it's so flavorful, but nobody remembers it for anything more than "HAHAHA LOOK HOW VAAN GETS RIPPED ON!"

Much like when they're on the Strahl and Balthier is asking Vaan why he's even there, which leads Vaan to stumbling and muttering and not having an answer, which sets up the Jahara scene, but again, people only remember because Vaan got asked why he was even there.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I went with the original just because having one of the antagonists voiced by Big Boss is hilarious

Vaan is cool and chill guy. Also fairly good looking for a JRPG character. Shame about the shirt tho

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 6, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

mandatory lesbian posted:

When people say 12 has great voice acting they mean the part where vaan's CAPTAIN BASCH OF DALMASCA

best part of the game tbh

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Avalerion posted:

I could only understand it if the english voice acting was particularly bad and since the japanese sounds like gibberish you wouldn't be able to tell how bad it was or not

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Your Computer posted:

And I don't get why you're making posts when they all read like gibberish but here we are :colbert:

I joke of course, but it's kinda weird to think of languages you don't speak as "gibberish". fwiw I'm not a native English speaker either so it's a bit of a pet peeve for me when people insist that stuff should be in English because it's more "natural".

They do make a point, though. I mean I appreciate a good sub (esp if a dub is lackluster) but in this day and age the voice casting is usually much better, and the localizations usually much better, as well. Given the option and spare time to I like to experience both, if I like the game or show or w/e enough, but you do miss a lot of subtle nuances/etc if you don't understand the language. It's not really gibberish, that's a bit far. And it's not like you're missing out on emotional cues or anything. But there is definitely a lot lost in translation. A well crafted dub is better imho.

Plus with games you can run into issues like recently with Nier:A where there's a lot of dialogue during combat, and gently caress reading subtitles while I'm trying to focus on dodging poo poo.

e: also it goes without saying that this only pertains to dubs of animated poo poo or games. dubs of live action stuff is bad unless you're watching kung fu movies for a laugh or smth

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 6, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WaltherFeng posted:

I went with the original just because having one of the antagonists voiced by Big Boss is hilarious

Vaan is cool and chill guy. Also fairly good looking for a JRPG character. Shame about the shirt tho

I was pretty blown away by the fact that SE bothered to fix his abs for the Zodiac Age. They are definitely less nightmarish than the original release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I first stated getting into anime and games it was lovely dubs or nothing here, nowadays I don't have to put up with that so I don't.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I’m getting the sense gibberish itself might have been the wrong word to use in that context, appologies if it has some negative baggage I’m not aware off.

fridge corn posted:

you wouldn't be able to tell how bad it was or not

Yup this is what I was trying to express. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gibberish means 'literally unintelligible' and sounds pretty racist when used to describe a foreign language tbh

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

since the japanese sounds like gibberish you wouldn't be able to tell how bad it was or not

Gibberish comment aside, you really don't need to be fluent in a language to tell if it's bad acting or not. Especially not if you're a drat weeb you have some exposure to the language.

There's a lot you can pick up on in a language even if you can't understand everything or speak it yourself.

Kanfy posted:

I think your preferences are somewhat molded by where you live, in my country nothing gets dubbed except for television shows for kids who are too young to read subtitles. A lot of older people don't understand English at all but they still watch television series in English on a daily basis without any problems. Same with German or French movies for example, watching them dubbed instead of in their original languages would feel weird as hell to me despite not understanding either language.

It's just a matter of preference, there isn't really anything to "get".
also this. Like, I can't speak German but that doesn't mean German sounds gibberish to me. It sounds German. :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 6, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Your Computer posted:

Gibberish comment aside, you really don't need to be fluent in a language to tell if it's bad acting or not. Especially not if you're a drat weeb you have some exposure to the language.

There's a lot you can pick up on in a language even if you can't understand everything or speak it yourself.

japanese voice acting in video games and anime is typically just as bad as the english but in that instance its less grating because of lack of familiarity with the language

Id always prefer an English dub in something animated if it is of good quality. Live action films and TV is better subbed imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Both voice tracks in FF12 are good, unlike this lovely argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For something else then, should I hold off on unlocking some quickening licenses for later ones? Like Balthier has one right near the start but there is no license locked behind it, while one of Fran’s has spells.