Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Spiteski posted:

This discord has a channel devoted to 4e support. https://discord.gg/GQRz7pT
Hop in and say hello.

"Spite's Gaping Hole"? Dare I enter this magical realm? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Only if you're cool.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

isndl posted:

"Spite's Gaping Hole"? Dare I enter this magical realm? :ohdear:

Sure, it's already gaping so it's easy entry.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone happen to have a good supply of noble house names? mainly looking for some human ones that sounds like they'd be in the military/arms sector.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 3, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Nalesh posted:

Anyone happen to have a good supply of noble house names? mainly looking for some human ones that sounds like they'd be in the military/arms sector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:European_noble_families
This has a pretty handy list broken down by country in case you're going for a particular feel. There's a page for non-european noble families too

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
I'm playing a 4e game for the first time and I'm looking over the weapons and I'm wondering if some are traps. Is it worthit to spend a feat for a greatspear over a longspear when the only difference is +1 to hit? I can imagine theres a tonne of feats that are stronger than +1 hit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Free Triangle posted:

I'm playing a 4e game for the first time and I'm looking over the weapons and I'm wondering if some are traps. Is it worthit to spend a feat for a greatspear over a longspear when the only difference is +1 to hit? I can imagine theres a tonne of feats that are stronger than +1 hit.

+hit is one of the strongest things you can go for, so in general yes. You want to be hitting all the time or the bonus effects on your attacks usually don't go off, setting aside damage.

There may be better spear weapons too, though IIRC Greatspear is good.

If you don't have Expertise yet, that is a priority. There are multitudes of Expertise feats because the feat situation is a bit of a mess, so look for a spear expertise feat that gives you something besides the +1/+2/+3 bonus.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The gouge is the other popular spear, but it generally attracts different characters. Greatspear proficiency is a great choice, though, once you have spear or two-handed expertise.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
Thanks for the explanation!

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

IIRC you normally pick from the +3 proficiency weapons as a rule unless if you have a very good reason to take a +2 proficiency weapon instead, possibly relating to which weapon tags exist and if you're trying to do some weird build that involves mixing and matching that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I really like the underlying system of 4e, but the customisation layer, especially feats, is such a cluster gently caress. One day I will make my own version stealing the best bits.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Honestly kind of surprised we haven't seen some CBloader files out there where someone took an axe to the feat bloat.

Or maybe something like that does exist.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
In general, if oyu're taking a feat to get a spear and you're not a warlord using it for reach (in which case, it probably shouldn't be a spear), you're doing yourself a disservice not getting Gouge.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The war shovel is indeed such a delicious weapon. I think it only had a +2 proficiency, but the rest of it is just so good. Also you might, if you really wanted to waste some feats, take three different expertises to get situational bonuses, some of which would stack.

This of course doesn't include the Feat bonus to attack, which won't stack of course. Spear Expertise gets a +1 per tier bonus to damage when charging, with a spear. Two-Handed Weapon Expertise gets basically the same bonus when charging, except with a two-handed weapon. Of course if your spear is a two-handed weapon and you have both feats they would stack. I think Axe Expertise is not all that good for a Gouge, as it gives something kind of like Brutal 1.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thespaceinvader posted:

In general, if oyu're taking a feat to get a spear and you're not a warlord using it for reach (in which case, it probably shouldn't be a spear), you're doing yourself a disservice not getting Gouge.
I'm confused by this. Polearm wardens and fighters are definitely things that exist, and the greatspear is the only polearm with +3 attack (and for that matter, the only polearm that actually requires a feat for characters that already get military weapons except maybe some weird Dark Sun thing).

Ryuujin posted:

The war shovel is indeed such a delicious weapon. I think it only had a +2 proficiency, but the rest of it is just so good. Also you might, if you really wanted to waste some feats, take three different expertises to get situational bonuses, some of which would stack.

This of course doesn't include the Feat bonus to attack, which won't stack of course. Spear Expertise gets a +1 per tier bonus to damage when charging, with a spear. Two-Handed Weapon Expertise gets basically the same bonus when charging, except with a two-handed weapon. Of course if your spear is a two-handed weapon and you have both feats they would stack. I think Axe Expertise is not all that good for a Gouge, as it gives something kind of like Brutal 1.
Just keep in mind that there are other damage feats that you'd want before double-dipping on expertise. No point in doing that until you at least have weapon focus.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 6, 2018

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That is true. Weapon Focus, Surprising Spear if you have the Dex and have either Rogue or Fighter levels/multiclass, and probably more, all could be more useful than grabbing the other expertise. It just happens to give another option.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
Aren't spear and two handed expertise both feat typed bonuses, making them not stack?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Free Triangle posted:

Aren't spear and two handed expertise both feat typed bonuses, making them not stack?

The bonuses to Attack are Feat Bonuses, but the Damage bonus is Untyped, so they stack.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Is there a comprehensive guide to using running 4e games in fantasy grounds? There's an avenger in my group, and right now we're doing a lot of the oath stuff by hand, but we're wondering if they have support for the oath of enmity type of buffs/debuffs it brings.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

Is there a comprehensive guide to using running 4e games in fantasy grounds? There's an avenger in my group, and right now we're doing a lot of the oath stuff by hand, but we're wondering if they have support for the oath of enmity type of buffs/debuffs it brings.

Not too many vids for 4e, but I've been using it for quite some time and pretty familiar with effects. What in particular are you trying to manage?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Mostly marking oath of enmity targets and applying oath of enmity effects from avenger abilities. She's playing an oath of retribution avenger so it would be really nice to have a way to keep track of all damage bonuses she gets on attacks.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So you can set up an effect that makes damage and attack bonuses that only apply to one creature or target, and can add a name to it to let you track what it is and why.
An example would be if you got attack bonus +2 and damage bonus +1d6 radiant (pulled out my rear end) you could have an effect line of
Oath of Enmity; ATK: 2; DMG: 1D6 radiant
Set the effect to apply to self, end encounter and then when it's applied your player or dm can target the effect to the monster by using the crosshair on the effect line of the combat tracker. This will then only apply to attack and damage rolls for that target and ignore others.
More complex stuff can be done but I'd need an example as I haven't played avenger recently and not near the portable compendium to look.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Fantasy Grounds has some non-intuitive conditional effects that can help here. To start with, you can make a basic "Oath of Enmity" effect that applies the text tag to enemies you hit with your oath, and you can set it to expire at the appropriate time by clicking on the button to the right of the effect text line - in this case you'd want it to be "ENC" for an encounter-long effect.

It doesn't support the basic Oath of Enmity functionality (roll again if the enemy is the only one adjacent to you), as FG has pretty much no conception of the combat map whatsoever. So you'll just need to manually roll twice if you know that you're satisfying the conditions of the oath. It does support the damage buff from the Censure of Retribution class feature, though it doesn't detect when it should be applied. Create an effect with the text "TGRT; DMG: [INT]" with the duration as "End N", with "Apply to Self" and "One Roll" marked to the left of the effect text. Don't click the button to apply it - shift-drag it over to the triggering enemy. You should see the effect show up on yourself, with the effect target listed as the triggering enemy. Your next attack should get the damage buff.

Fantasy Grounds doesn't support stacking effect, though. If you do the same thing again it will just overwrite the old effect with the new one. The avenger in my game has multiple effects for his Censure of Retribution power, with the stacking applied manually. When the effect should be triggers he just removes the old one and replaces it with the next tier up.

I've been running a 4E campaign in Fantasy Grounds since...goddamn 2014...so if you have any questions hit me up.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

kaynorr posted:

Fantasy Grounds has some non-intuitive conditional effects that can help here. To start with, you can make a basic "Oath of Enmity" effect that applies the text tag to enemies you hit with your oath, and you can set it to expire at the appropriate time by clicking on the button to the right of the effect text line - in this case you'd want it to be "ENC" for an encounter-long effect.

It doesn't support the basic Oath of Enmity functionality (roll again if the enemy is the only one adjacent to you), as FG has pretty much no conception of the combat map whatsoever. So you'll just need to manually roll twice if you know that you're satisfying the conditions of the oath. It does support the damage buff from the Censure of Retribution class feature, though it doesn't detect when it should be applied. Create an effect with the text "TGRT; DMG: [INT]" with the duration as "End N", with "Apply to Self" and "One Roll" marked to the left of the effect text. Don't click the button to apply it - shift-drag it over to the triggering enemy. You should see the effect show up on yourself, with the effect target listed as the triggering enemy. Your next attack should get the damage buff.

Fantasy Grounds doesn't support stacking effect, though. If you do the same thing again it will just overwrite the old effect with the new one. The avenger in my game has multiple effects for his Censure of Retribution power, with the stacking applied manually. When the effect should be triggers he just removes the old one and replaces it with the next tier up.

I've been running a 4E campaign in Fantasy Grounds since...goddamn 2014...so if you have any questions hit me up.

You can do an easier way of both those things.
Effects do stack if you name then differently. A simple "abilityname;" prefix or suffix will allow any number of the same untyped bonus to stack. Typed bonuses still apply as per the rules.
And to avoid messing with shift-dragging for targeted effects you can have, say your target has a named effect of "Oath Target" on them as you suggested, you can set an effect of "IFT: custom(Oath Target); DMG: [INT]" with the same end conditions and it saves worrying about targeting effects. I learnt that from playing a Warlock and it's a good way to have monster treat defences as higher and lower based on if they're marked or cursed or w/e.
Also if you do do a targeted effect, you don't need to write in the TRGT as that's purely a notifier and does nothing except clutter your bar.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Spiteski posted:

You can do an easier way of both those things.
Effects do stack if you name then differently. A simple "abilityname;" prefix or suffix will allow any number of the same untyped bonus to stack. Typed bonuses still apply as per the rules.
And to avoid messing with shift-dragging for targeted effects you can have, say your target has a named effect of "Oath Target" on them as you suggested, you can set an effect of "IFT: custom(Oath Target); DMG: [INT]" with the same end conditions and it saves worrying about targeting effects. I learnt that from playing a Warlock and it's a good way to have monster treat defences as higher and lower based on if they're marked or cursed or w/e.
Also if you do do a targeted effect, you don't need to write in the TRGT as that's purely a notifier and does nothing except clutter your bar.

custom(Oath Target) is a thing? That would save massive amounts of heartache if I could do custom condition checking. Everything I look on the FG boards/wiki says you have to use extensions to do anything with new conditions.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

custom(anything) will check the targets effects for a matching keyword by default.
My Warlock curse is an effect "Cursed; IFT: custom(well-hung); ATK: -2; GRANTCA".
Warlock has never ending "well-hung" effect on him and places the above effect on any curse target and it works a treat. I have effectively 2 higher defences (shadow Warlock armor) and they grant me combat advantage (can't remember the feat name)

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Spiteski posted:

custom(anything) will check the targets effects for a matching keyword by default.
My Warlock curse is an effect "Cursed; IFT: custom(well-hung); ATK: -2; GRANTCA".
Warlock has never ending "well-hung" effect on him and places the above effect on any curse target and it works a treat. I have effectively 2 higher defences (shadow Warlock armor) and they grant me combat advantage (can't remember the feat name)

I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend - rewriting effect power blocks!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I know that feeling. I'm constantly learning now qol things. Feel free to hit me up with any other ones you think should be easier and we can tip swap. If I've learnt anything it's that someone else knows something I don't to do with fg

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I started up a new game of 4e and discovered that I still have masterplan installed on my computer. What a glorious day.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

slap me and kiss me posted:

I started up a new game of 4e and discovered that I still have masterplan installed on my computer. What a glorious day.
It's like a present from past-you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Crotch posted:

I'm confused by this. Polearm wardens and fighters are definitely things that exist, and the greatspear is the only polearm with +3 attack (and for that matter, the only polearm that actually requires a feat for characters that already get military weapons except maybe some weird Dark Sun thing).

Polearms used to be the poo poo for control, but Flailcheese is where it's at now.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

thespaceinvader posted:

Polearms used to be the poo poo for control, but Flailcheese is where it's at now.

Just got through our first encounter in a PbP with a level 11 half-elf Battlemind using Eldritch Strike with Flail Expertise/Dragging Flail/Hindering Shield, and it's pretty drat great.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So I've been pushed into running D&D again but have forgotten all the math-fixes cause it's been like 5 years.

Gonna give them free expertise and any other taxes you folks remind me of and some other death to ability scores fun times.

What am I forgetting?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Xiahou Dun posted:

So I've been pushed into running D&D again but have forgotten all the math-fixes cause it's been like 5 years.

Gonna give them free expertise and any other taxes you folks remind me of and some other death to ability scores fun times.

What am I forgetting?

Maybe inherent bonuses if you don't wanna fiddle around with item math too much.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What am I forgetting?

So as a general rule, it's a free expertise, free improved defences, and a free melee training of any attribute. As pointed out above, if you don't want to fiddle with the maths, inherent bonuses work quite well. Just make sure they're the dark sun inherent bonuses.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Definitely do inherent bonuses but just increment them at levels 6/11/etc. Basically the levels where you can get the upgrade via literally the Magic Weapon/Armor/Necklace items.

As for other math taxes, it's just the Expertise and Improved Defenses feats.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

If you're already doing inherent bonuses, don't forget about boons. You can hand out basically any bonuses you'd give via magic items as boons, or maybe fewer big ones so they're easier to track, but most importantly you can tie them in to whatever is happening. Rogue gave a speech in front of the king, he gets to add his inherent bonus value to Diplomacy checks. The party saves a psionicist from a dragon, he teaches them the Tower of Iron Will technique (resistance to psychic damage or etc). The ranger guides the party through the Great Forest, he comes out with bonuses to Nature.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically I would never run 4E without inherent bonuses at this point. Talk of just banning most items has also been thrown around.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Banning most items and, like, 2/3rds of the feats would probably be the most lightweight and disturbingly robust 4e experience you could have. Favours, one time bonuses and like, a single weapon/armour/ item wiuld probably be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Throw out all feats that aren't race or class feats, or Expertise/Defenses. To be safe, throw out those from Dragon magazines that are, too.