Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Idgaf about whatever is going on on twitter, and whatever he was trying to do there. I'm going to bypass the culture war side and go straight for the vocab. My question is: peoplekind??? I use humankind as a gender neutral version of mankind and that's what everyone I know does. Who says peoplekind??

He probably says it so that "peoplekind" includes corporations, because corporations are people but they are not humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's the real depressing bit I'm getting from following this. There's thousands, maybe tens of thousands of Boushies out there. It feels pretty racist to say that but how couldn't there be with the poverty, isolation and systemic racism? It's easier to take the CBC narrative that they were good kids having a fun day who needed help and got shot by a racist, white farmer. That feels more solveable.

I would argue that they probably are good kids, though, or, more to this case/the typical stereotype, aren't some irredeemably recidivist violent criminals, especially if we gave a poo poo about decent rehabilitation-wthout-institutionalization criminal justice, or maybe even provided some halfway decent social welfare programs.

They just live a radically different life, with a totally different universe of expectations, events, and circumstances from you or I. But yea, the point remains that poverty creates, or increases anyway, levels of desperation and vulnerability, and that can manifest itself in any number of ways.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

just another posted:

What's the difference between phrasing it as "forcing them" to be a certain way, and stripping First Nations people of moral agency?

Good catch. How about "it increases the likelihood that such instances will occur". When you increase those negative pressures associated with poverty, you start placing people in the situation where they have to rise above/be the exception to the norm/beat the odds to find a modicum of upward movement. Which be their own definitions means not everyone will ever pull it off.

Yes, individual agency is important. But so is placing people in positions to succeed. Very, very few people (read: pretty much zero) "want" to grow up to be disenfranchised and crippled by the physical and emotional scars of abject poverty and the direction it channels your life in.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 6, 2018

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Stickarts posted:

They just live a radically different life, with a totally different universe of expectations, events, and circumstances from you or I. But yea, the point remains that poverty creates, or increases anyway, levels of desperation and vulnerability, and that can manifest itself in any number of ways.

It’s honestly a serious problem to approach FN employees the same as non-FN because of the expectation differences. I’m talking about basic things like “show up to work”. For example, some FN employees can disappear for several months during pow wow season with zero communication, only to show up randomly when the season ends with the assumption that they are still employed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The BC Liberals use a weird point system. Note how in round 5 Michael Lee somehow drops off to Watts and Wilkinson who were trailing and Wilkinson eventually wins due to an outsize rural voting effect.

https://twitter.com/chadskelton/status/960685047035478017

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Basically because each riding was assigned 100 points and fewer votes were recorded in rural ridings, Michael Lee won based on number of votes (mostly urban) but lost based on number of points. :laffo:

Wilkinson actually lost in terms of votes but won based on points because he had relatively more rural votes. Great system.

https://twitter.com/chadskelton/status/960695474549284864

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 6, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How did Michael Lee get dropped in round 4 there?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

cougar cub posted:

It’s honestly a serious problem to approach FN employees the same as non-FN because of the expectation differences. I’m talking about basic things like “show up to work”. For example, some FN employees can disappear for several months during pow wow season with zero communication, only to show up randomly when the season ends with the assumption that they are still employed.

Unofficially, the port here is having a hard time with staffing because a lot of the First Nations workers are unreliable. It's a conflict in the making because there'll be hell to pay if the port & associated businesses shrug their shoulders and start importing workers.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

How did Michael Lee get dropped in round 4 there?
Each riding gets 100 points regardless of number of votes. The vote share is then normalized.

So in Vancouver riding Lee gets 10,000 votes of 20,000 total so he gets 50 points for that riding but gets 1 vote of 10 in Kootney riding so he gets 10 points for that riding. His opponent gets 50 points in Vancouver and 90 points in Kootenay. Giving us Lee 60 points from 10,001 votes and opponent 140 points from 10,009 votes.

Therefore a rural favorite can easily win despite getting nowhere near the number of total votes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Each riding gets 100 points regardless of number of votes. The vote share is then normalized.

So in Vancouver riding Lee gets 10,000 votes of 20,000 total so he gets 50 points for that riding but gets 1 vote of 10 in Kootney riding so he gets 10 points for that riding. Therefore a rural favorite can easily win despite getting nowhere near the number of total votes.

Ugh gently caress rurals

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/theBreakerNews/status/960670595233955840

e: Diane Watts snubbed by Surrey :lol:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 6, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I have a friend from Paris whom I recently introduced to a friend from Quebec. Because of the Quebecois' name, the Parisan asked if they were French. I said yes, and :can:

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
mental health word salad :) edited for safety

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 6, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

ARACHTION posted:

As a French speaker who understands the differences between Québécois and France French, I would say that the French who insist they can’t understand Québécois aren’t trying hard enough. It’s not hard and they are also typically the people who insist Québécois is not “real” French, and by the way, nothing else is other than Parisian French.

Unless of course you’re talking about some person from the boonies. Then I even find myself straining. But generally miscomprehension is more based on the listener being inflexible with what they’re listening for than the speaker being incomprehensible.

This.

French spoken in Canada varies from one region to another just like in France. As pointed above, Parisians are reputed to regard any regional variation with disdain but it's not always the case. Education and/or effort at speaking eloquently can bring the Québécois speaker close to international French.

It's a lot like how American and British English do not sound the same. Add 400 years of geopolitical isolation. There used to be efforts from schools and the media to encourage speaking a more "correct" French... I don't know what happened.

Having traveled in France and met many many Frenchmen, they certain can understand Québécois with a modicum of effort from both parties.

The French also use a lot of loanwords; they're just different than the ones used in Quebec. I'm not a fan of modern technical words being translated partly because they're solely used in Quebec, but mostly because I have to look them up everytime I read a document in French.

Back to the inconvenience of learning French at school. PT6A pointed out the benefits of learning a second language. There's historical context as to why it has to be French and English - Dreylad, Vyelkin, and other scholars can elaborate better than me. Similarly and ironically you see get the "why learn English arguments" among certain groups of francophones. It might be a shock, but there are Canadians who could live a full life and even travel without speaking or reading a single word in English.

The kiddos are in French immersion and I'm making efforts to gradually speak more and more French at home.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Stickarts posted:

I would argue that they probably are good kids, though, or, more to this case/the typical stereotype, aren't some irredeemably recidivist violent criminals, especially if we gave a poo poo about decent rehabilitation-wthout-institutionalization criminal justice, or maybe even provided some halfway decent social welfare programs.

They're not evil kids, not good though and I'd put my money on recidivism because there's no path right now for their poverty or surroundings to improve. Maybe lost is a better word. I was mostly just playing with the idea that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if this case makes the rest of Canada who doesn't live anywhere near the reserves sit up and say 'holy poo poo the stereotypes are a lot closer to the truth than I believed, how couldn't they be, something really has to be done'.

I have zero opinions on how to improve the situation anymore though after watching the MMIW fly off the rails but you're right, this Boushie thing was bound to happen and it's going to probably happen a bunch more times.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
The prairies have fairly significant francophone communities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fransaskois

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I get that you're just sharing your personal experience, but you might want to reconsider this post.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Back to the inconvenience of learning French at school. PT6A pointed out the benefits of learning a second language. There's historical context as to why it has to be French and English - Dreylad, Vyelkin, and other scholars can elaborate better than me. Similarly and ironically you see get the "why learn English arguments" among certain groups of francophones. It might be a shock, but there are Canadians who could live a full life and even travel without speaking or reading a single word in English.

Just to provide a bit of the historical context here, the reason why Canada is a bilingual country is because the story of Canada's founding is two nations coming together, not a collection of individuals coming together. Long before neoliberalism and the idea that there is no such thing as society, there's just millions of individuals, Canada was founded on the basis of two peoples, the French-Canadians and the Anglo-Canadians, coming together as equals. Now yeah, this was mostly a myth because Anglos had a lot more political, economic, cultural power, Canada was a dominion under Britain, the Queen is/was the head of state, blah blah blah, but the way it was sold was that it was two peoples coming together as equals. Upper and Lower Canada, Ontario and Quebec (they just kinda ignored NB and NS when making this myth in 1867), MacDonald and Cartier, you get the idea. This was entrenched in the 1867 BNA Act that created Canada, in officially recognizing bilingualism within Parliament, giving French-Canadians the right to Catholic schools, and similar stuff. This national myth was further solidified and legitimized by official bilingualism under Trudeau Sr. and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and by subsequent efforts to have Quebec recognized as a distinct society or nation within Canada to try and undermine sovereigntism.

In the era of neoliberalism this myth has fallen out of favour because we no longer see society as composed of groups with group rights. If we see society as existing at all, we see it as composed of individuals with individual rights, so instead of seeing Canada as an alliance of two equal nations, we see it as an amalgamation of millions of individuals, which leads to certain individuals saying "why should I as an individual be forced to participate in social norms and values created to benefit other individuals who are a minority in the country?" Well, dummy, it's because those norms and values were created in an era when we perceived society in a different way and recognized the validity of group rights, and then built our constitution around founding myths that revolved around the idea of group rights.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

Upper and Lower Canada, Ontario and Quebec, MacDonald and Cartier,

Wolfe and Montcalm, beaver and bananas...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a French person, and also a Canadian person (my mom was born and raised in Paris, I was raised in BC) who went through half of the French immersion program (I joined in grade 6 - not late immersion, obviously) I can understand basically everyone's French, but I can also understand the difficulties in France/Quebec French being mutually unintelligible. If I'm not actually paying attention to someone speaking Quebecois French, I won't understand a lot of what they're saying, whereas I can understand Parisian French in my sleep.

It's true that for most people just making a bit of an effort will make them mutually intelligible for basically anyone fluent, but the differences are far greater, IMO, than American English and British English. It's more like the difference between American English and strong Scottish English.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Whelp.

Personkind is exploding on Facebook that even loving Adam Carolla is riffing on it.

gently caress this poo poo. loving dumbass thing to say.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

to try and undermine sovereigntism.

amen. this is the only reason french is taught outside of quebec

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Whelp.

Personkind is exploding on Facebook that even loving Adam Carolla is riffing on it.

In general, to a woman, and during the break in your point you created to call attention to it... just yikes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Whelp.

Nah man, it's pretty genius. The people who are angry at Trudeau over this weren't going to vote for him anyway, the people who love him as Woke Bae Feminist PM Justin are probably pretty positive about it overall because even though he mansplained to a woman, he did so in service of gender-neutral terminology, and no one remembers any of the answers he gave to actual questions in the whole event designed to let people pose difficult questions to the Prime Minister.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I work with some algerians and if you guys think quebecoise french is weird you should hear Berber french.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
lmfao at getting mad about peoplekind

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Vintersorg posted:

Whelp.

Oh no Adam Carolla is making fun of the Prime Minister, however will PMJT survive criticism from the person most famous for "The Man Show"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

Can I get mad about him being a loving nothing PM concerned with optics over any actual substance that goes back on his word every chance he gets and is a useless centrist?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Because I’m mad about that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Oh no Adam Carolla is making fun of the Prime Minister, however will PMJT survive criticism from the person most famous for "The Man Show"

It's someone who has a voice with people who lean right. His podcast is huge and he basically was one of the main ones out there when it all began. I dont listen anymore as it got loving stupid but there is a huge audience.

https://theblog.adobe.com/carolla-digital-reaches-millions-of-listeners-with-record-setting-audio-podcasts/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can I get mad about him being a loving nothing PM concerned with optics over any actual substance that goes back on his word every chance he gets and is a useless centrist?

Don't get mad

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

heeheex2 posted:

Nobody is mad, it's just very funny

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

xtal posted:

Nobody is mad, it's just very funny

there are quite a few very mad people online

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

heeheex2 posted:

there are quite a few very mad people online

This is also funny.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so apparently I'm being told the conservatives in Ontario have super inefficient voter distribution (like democrats in US)

they could win the popular vote by like 5 points or something over liberals and still get less seats in June

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/02/05/elizabeth-may-asks-for-donations-to-pay-for-cost-of-bullying-investigation.html
"The Green party leader wrote an email to members for donations to help pay the "new and unexpected" cost of an investigation into workplace bullying allegations from former party staffers."
May is the gift that keeps on giving.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/02/05/elizabeth-may-asks-for-donations-to-pay-for-cost-of-bullying-investigation.html
"The Green party leader wrote an email to members for donations to help pay the "new and unexpected" cost of an investigation into workplace bullying allegations from former party staffers."
May is the gift that keeps on giving.

Great brass bollocks on that one, yeah?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Eby announcing that ICBC implementing a payout cap on minor injuries (finally)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Did they actually go ahead with not insuring supercars any longer, or was that just a rumor or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

Did they actually go ahead with not insuring supercars any longer, or was that just a rumor or something?

Anything over $150,000 hasn't been insurable through ICBC for over a year now