Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Yeah, it's a good reminder that franchise loyalty is overrated, and if Disney can mostly keep the MCU-style continuity bait out of the mainline trilogy it's not really a big deal. I do feel like asking so many questions of varying degrees of meaning kind of sucked in TFA (everything from the question of Rey's parentage to the completely meaningless detail of C-3P0 having a new arm), but it's not like they really subtracted from the movie being a fun action adventure with good cinematography, lovable characters, and a sweet lightsaber battle.

That was worth it because it was funny when he brought up how one would easily not recognize him due to his red arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Neo Rasa posted:

That was worth it because it was funny when he brought up how one would easily not recognize him due to his red arm.

But then he has his old arm back at the end of the movie???

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Disney was curious if audiences would like a C3PO movie, and tested their reaction with these scenes.

E: idk, maybe a film noir staring 3PO and no R2 might work.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the red arm owned because it was a reference to metal gear solid 5

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Zoran posted:

But then he has his old arm back at the end of the movie???

Fixing up and shining 3PO at the end of a movie to signify resolution has been a thing since the beginning. I can't find a transcript, but Kershner says explicitly that deconstructing and rebuilding him is designed to parallel Luke's physical and mental journey, and that at the end they are both whole again. JJ opens the film saying that "this will begin to make things right" and almost every character has some sort of "awakening" so it's not a huge stretch to throw 3po in there.

It also works for the aforementioned gag. He's the oldest Skywalker sibling after all, so it's no surprise that he's losing and replacing hands and that he's recycling Leia's "I changed my hair" joke.

Storywise it makes it seem like the Resistance is cash-strapped and this one-time servant of a royal court now has a driver-side door of a different color from a junkyard. But it actually just turns out that he's procrastinating and was just waiting for a celebration to justify the effort of swapping it out.

sidenote: the 3PO costume in TFA is so very ugly I don't know how they goofed that hard

sidenote: all the commentaries on the OT are great. George is really smart, Kersh is very funny, Ben Burtt has an anecdote for every iconic sound effect, and Carrie points out which Cloud City scenes were being filmed at 8am after partying with Monty Python until 6am. Mark posted some evidence to back this up the other day: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeCUEo_lEpg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

antidote posted:

Stat Wars reminds me of Dune when Frank Herbert died and his son got his claws in the series. Suddenly every single event, previously left to the imagination and much better for it, had to be excruciatingly laid out in its own book.

The Butlerian Jihad. Paul's own jihad. The background of every Great House, every major character, laid out in its own book.

Nothing new, of course. "Every single character in the background of this scene now has a complicated backstory" was a big criticism of the EU for about 25 years or so.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Brother Entropy posted:

hail ceaser proved ehrenreich can act perfectly fine

In "Hail, Caesar!" we're meant to believe Ehrenreich plays a character who can't act, right?

What if the Coen brothers were sly enough to typecast someone who actually couldn't act, to play the role of the actor who can't act? That would be a brilliant loving move on their part, wouldn't it? Especially if it worked. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, it did.

TL;DR: The Coen brothers typecast Ehrehnreich out of mediocrity, played him for the fool, and through a comedy of errors that wouldn't seem out of place in a classical Greek tragedy managed to accidentally propel him like a rocket into Disney's biggest gamble on the Star Wars franchise to date.

I FOR ONE CAN'T loving WAIT TO SEE HOW THIS GOES DOWN

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was really good and charming as the dopy actor kid.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
That's because he wasn't acting. I'll maintain that he was and is just a dopy actor kid, and that the Coen brothers played it up as a strength given his role in the film. It looked like good acting because that's all his role required.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imma go with “we need to shoot this thing really quick so do two takes and let’s call it and move on”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Handen posted:

That's because he wasn't acting. I'll maintain that he was and is just a dopy actor kid, and that the Coen brothers played it up as a strength given his role in the film. It looked like good acting because that's all his role required.

You're really determined to hate him, huh? This just comes off as a really sad attempt to convince yourself because Not My Han Solo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't expect him to be Harrison Ford; it will be good enough if he can come off as someone who will become Harrison Ford. I'm not sure if that will happen; we'll just have to wait and see.

As I said, that's more or less how I felt about Flanery in Young Indiana Jones. :shrug:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
All listening to the Han Solo books on tape just SEETHING at Han’s voice actor

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I dunno when the woman says "I know what you really are" and he smirks but then immediately his expression turns from "you know I'm a coolman," to "...oh you think I'm a piece of poo poo." was as good of a 3 second expression as any.

Also convincing yourself the Coen brothers are the kind of tricksters to do something like cast a bad actor for a bad part when they've been pretty much the definition of workmanship for cinema their entire careers is strange.

Would that it were so simple

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't expect this Roger Moore fellow to be Sean Connery; it will be good enough to see if he can come off as someone who has been Sean Connery. I'm not sure if that will happen; we'll just have to wait and see.

This is no different. Like, so what if it's not the exact same take on the character? I thought Sean Patrick Flannery was terrific as a young Indiana Jones. Did it always feel like the same character? No. Was the acting and the storytelling great? Yes. Did I enjoy it despite it not being a perfect CGI young Harrison Ford? Of course. So if the thing is good regardless of connection to the rest of the franchise, then why do you care?

It just comes off as "my precious continuity :qq:" since we don't have enough context to tell whether his take is good or not on its own.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Penpal posted:

I dunno when the woman says "I know what you really are" and he smirks but then immediately his expression turns from "you know I'm a coolman," to "...oh you think I'm a piece of poo poo." was as good of a 3 second expression as any.

Also convincing yourself the Coen brothers are the kind of tricksters to do something like cast a bad actor for a bad part when they've been pretty much the definition of workmanship for cinema their entire careers is strange.

Would that it were so simple

I bet you 100 credits that after “I know what you really are” she says “you’re a scoundrel!”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dr.Radical posted:

I bet you 100 credits that after “I know what you really are” she says “you’re a scoundrel!”

Opposite. It's "you're a hero", because he's going to have the same arc he has in ANH. Maybe if we're lucky he'll take the money at the end instead of saving the day. But probably not.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I think you’re underestimating the “we must have an OT call back!” fan service calculation but who knows

E: Not that I think he won’t have an ANH arc in the movie. Just that there will be that phrase or sentiment from his love interest a la Leia in the OT.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 6, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Opposite. It's "you're a hero", because he's going to have the same arc he has in ANH. Maybe if we're lucky he'll take the money at the end instead of saving the day. But probably not.

disney's purchase contract requires every character arc to be repeated a minimum of three times

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
“I know what you really are”
"Oh yeah? And what's that?"
“You’re a hero.”
"I'm a scoundrel."
*Qi'ra rolls eyes*
*audience rolls eyes*

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

he's gonna be a hero but qi'ra will die by the end and that'll make him cynical. my prediction

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"You don't want kids?"
"I'd rather die."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the name qi'ra is horrible

a different kind of horrible to poe, finn and rey, who are just weirdly bland

qi'ra is like some 12 year old deviant art OC poo poo

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am taking bets these characters will be dead by the end of the film:

KellyC 20:1
Yondu Haymitch 10:1
Ugly piece of poo poo alien 3:1

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh wow speaking of ugly piece of poo poo alien, Greedo will be in this and he will not die because he can’t die until ANH

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

the name qi'ra is horrible

a different kind of horrible to poe, finn and rey, who are just weirdly bland

qi'ra is like some 12 year old deviant art OC poo poo

Broom boy from the end of TLJ is called "Temiri Blagg" which is why I presume he won't be the protagonist of Rian Johnson's trilogy, because you're never having a big adventure movie whose protagonist is called "Blagg".

"Blagg" is a good name for a scheming weasel from a Redwall book and little else.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
He's going to have to dump his cargo and that cargo will be the front half of his ship.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr.Radical posted:

Oh wow speaking of ugly piece of poo poo alien, Greedo will be in this and he will not die because he can’t die until ANH

He was already in TPM and Clone Wars

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
we r gonna end the movie in the cantina of mos eisley ya bitches bet on that

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wild Horses posted:

"What's that Chewie? Some old guy wants to arrange passage somewhere? Ok, I guess we could use the money."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

"What's that Chewie? Some old guy wants to arrange passage somewhere? Ok, I guess we could use the money."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEd3DpH_e0

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Nah, not a chance. They'll end the movie flying to Tatooine or some poo poo, but not that direct a tie-in.

e: Things that 100% will be in: dumping Jabba's spice, Kessel run, Lando originally owning the Falcon and losing it to Han.

e2: I really like the idea of Lando being the Falcon's pilot during the Kessel run somehow, but I suspect the Kessel run and spice-dump will somehow be the same thing and also be the climax of the movie.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 6, 2018

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It sure is great how every significant event in Han's life will occur within the same block of time

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

What? That's in there? Figures.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shoulda just got this guy to play Lil Han Solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLv993khfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba_wPdLxp4

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why are so many Swars fans against the idea of Disney exploring the origin stories of existing characters?

Ok for example, the Kessel Run's going to be a plot element in Solo, Why is that bad? Because your head canon is going to be deemed incorrect when nobody could tell you otherwise since it was never fully explained or shown? Your imagination filled in the blank and now that might become irrelevant?

Fans seem to hate more than they enjoy things. Maybe I just really don't get fandom. Maybe that IS fandom, now?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Why are so many Swars fans against the idea of Disney exploring the origin stories of existing characters?

Ok for example, the Kessel Run's going to be a plot element in Solo, Why is that bad? Because your head canon is going to be deemed incorrect when nobody could tell you otherwise since it was never fully explained or shown? Your imagination filled in the blank and now that might become irrelevant?

Fans seem to hate more than they enjoy things. Maybe I just really don't get fandom. Maybe that IS fandom, now?

cause it's boring, op

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

No, they really shouldn't have. An impression isn't the same thing as acting ability.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Being able to imitate someone's timbre and cadence =/= being able to act. That Age of Adaline clip is painful (much like the movie itself), with Ingruber wearing a perpetual half-smirk.

Caring about how much someone might be able to physically or vocally emulate someone else is how we got Zachary Quinto dogshitting his way through the Star Trek reboot movies, just because people thought he looked like Nimoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Timby posted:

Being able to imitate someone's timbre and cadence =/= being able to act. That Age of Adaline clip is painful (much like the movie itself), with Ingruber wearing a perpetual half-smirk.

Caring about how much someone might be able to physically or vocally emulate someone else is how we got Zachary Quinto dogshitting his way through the Star Trek reboot movies, just because people thought he looked like Nimoy.

This is the discussion I've been having on FB. People just can't get over that Alden isn't just a young-ish Harrison Ford impersonator and it's stupid because not only would that probably just seem really gimmicky and try hard... but that this is the story of him *becoming* the character that we are already familiar with. It's not just a mini Han Solo with all characteristics from his future salty/experienced/veteran self imparted onto him.

I was listening to an interview with Richard Jenkins on Marc Maron's WTF and he was talking about things theater can do that film can't. In theater you can have two people that are supposed to be twins (but clearly aren't) and just tell the audience "listen... these guys look exactly alike ok? Moving on." And they go with it. I paraphrased that a bit, but it should apply here.

As long as he can be just close to true to the character, or how that character would be when he's really young then I don't care if he doesn't look like him/talk like him/have the same cadence or mannerisms... whatever.

edit: Of course he could totally botch it. But I don't think we have even close to enough footage to be able to tell that yet.

And given that Kennedy and LucasFilm saw Rian Johnson's Ep8 good enough to give him a whole loving trilogy to himself... I don't really trust their opinion.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 6, 2018

• Locked thread