Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I wonder if you could install a dry cleaner hanger conveyor system in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

This is one of the weirdest unit plans I've ever seen. What the hell would you even use that long thin room to the right of the stairwell for? It's exactly 3' wide and 17' long. I guess you could have a really shallow shelf running down one side? But it doesn't even connect to a bedroom, it connects to a little 7x7 room, which is awkwardly off the small 10x11 bedroom. It's like they just had some extra space left in the building and shrugged and divided things up into a random chain of rooms.

It is a storeroom. You put your Christmas decorations and collection of cardboard boxes you might use again someday in there.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baronjutter posted:

I"m also working on a brand new building that is a crematorium, autopsy and cold storage, and "witness viewing area" on the main floor and a lovely apartment on the 2nd. Nice live/work arrangement I guess?

Until you have to start cremating obese members of the "future crematorium fire" population.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
One-pin bowling alley

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

This is one of the weirdest unit plans I've ever seen. What the hell would you even use that long thin room to the right of the stairwell for? It's exactly 3' wide and 17' long. I guess you could have a really shallow shelf running down one side? But it doesn't even connect to a bedroom, it connects to a little 7x7 room, which is awkwardly off the small 10x11 bedroom. It's like they just had some extra space left in the building and shrugged and divided things up into a random chain of rooms.

How old is the building? I can't help thinking the stairwell used to be 3 ft. wider, with a big gap down the middle that served as an air shaft.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

How old is the building? I can't help thinking the stairwell used to be 3 ft. wider, with a big gap down the middle that served as an air shaft.

Brand new, none of the other units in the building have any sort of storage rooms like this. It's just this unit on a few floors where they decided to put a little 3' wide room wrapping around the stairwell.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Baronjutter posted:

Brand new, none of the other units in the building have any sort of storage rooms like this. It's just this unit on a few floors where they decided to put a little 3' wide room wrapping around the stairwell.

Someone misread the blueprints and the code inspector made them shift the stairs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

interior design is dumb

interior design straplines may be even dumber

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
96 year old woman has decided to sell her home but hasn't changed the interior for 72 years. Some examples:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The pink rooms aren't my style, but the basement bar/lounge is awesome.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

bean_shadow posted:

96 year old woman has decided to sell her home but hasn't changed the interior for 72 years. Some examples:

Oh man, we looked at a pretty similar place, though it wasn’t kept up as well and the kitchen was far too small. It also had a really bad funk in a few of the rooms, like something had died in the walls. Still was at the top of our list for a little while, though.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Baronjutter posted:

You want weird? I can give you weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You want weird? I can give you weird.

This was posted a while ago but thank you for reminding me of this insanity. I love the long institutional stark white CMU tunnels, very cozy.
I wish I had the plans for my rich friend's parent's house. It was HUGE but how some 90% foyer/hallway and all the actual rooms were tiny.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok drawing from memory it was something like this.

The two kids were in a semi-basement area at the far right in cramped little bedrooms that could barely fit a single bed and they shared a cramped little bathroom at the end of a narrow dark hallway. A few steps up was a nice sized guest room and a den they had turned into a computer room. The entry was way too big and lead to this entirely unused open space they stuck some antique sofas in but it still felt empty. The forming dining room was huge and full of antique furniture but it was rarely ever used. The kitchen was a good size and had a little eating nook in the corner.

The upper floor was a large master bedroom, master bathroom, and huuuuge living room that took up half the 2nd floor. It's like it was designed by someone who had 2 kids they hated and wanted to keep as far away from them selves as possible. It was just so weird seeing a house with so much floor space but all the areas people actually used daily were cramped and terrible, the one hallway used all the time was dark and narrow, yet a good 30% of the house was random super wide hallways/foyers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:haw: those two bedrooms and that bathroom are about the size of my actual two large bedrooms and only bathroom. The other two bedrooms are one room also that size converted into two “box rooms” and can literally only fit a single bed in them.

My house is considered quite large by UK standards.

Meanwhile If I were in Australia I could pick up a second hand wooden house from the side of the road for $11k AUS , that’s twice the size of it and have it delivered to the farm. (Disclaimer, farm may be at risk of fire and/or flooding, possibly in the same month, buyer purchases wooden house at own risk)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That reminds me of all my friends who had McMansions when I was growing up, particularly this one:

There were four bedrooms upstairs but the whole first floor layout was so goofy. Those tiny hallways were both door-sized and it was really disorienting going from the massive two-story lawyer foyer through a tiny Alice in Wonderland hallway into that football-field living room.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
no “great room” not a legit mcmansion

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I also just looked up the exact definition of great room and lolled at this:

“Great rooms have been common in American homes since the early 1990s.”

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The huge living room was great because they were squarely of the "couches against the walls" school of interior decorating so I have a vivid memory of sitting on the floor in front of the tv playing Yoshi's Story because all the furniture was twenty feet away.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Which of this Orientalist-modern house's 5 glorious bathrooms is your favorite?

I'm gonna go with the black sunken tub + bidet.

bonus Conversation Pit:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Floor, toilet, and vanity are not also reflective. 6/10, okay effort.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

bonus Conversation Pit:

They're loving dumb but I love them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Very fashion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"And that student was Einstein" - Saul Bellow

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I actually like this one.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I actually like this one.

Yeah, that one's actually kinda nice. I don't know if I'd want to poop in there every morning forever, it's kinda got a themed hotel vibe that would get a little weird after a while, but it's pleasant.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Can I post a quick sanity check and a small question here? I'm trying to figure this out for myself but would appreciate a little direction if possible.

Original
Here's my study as it stands now (undecorated from previous owners, obviously a girl's room)

Annoyingly, there are exposed pipes above the floor: https://i.imgur.com/H2dm5Le.jpg

Renovation Plan
I'm going with a relatively sedate, plain 'classic' style. If I could approximate this, I'd be happy - I've got a nice paint match.

I'm looking at a used pedestal desk in some kind of dark wood to replace the white ikea trash that's there. I'll need to figure out something for the keyboard stand and radiator covers but I can manage that.

I do have a small few questions however:
- How can I work out what type/colour of curtains to use? It seems that pinterest/etc. are allergic to having curtains or any kind of window coverings. I'm not in direct sunlight and face into the countryside so no requirement for blackout curtains/etc.
- Should I paint the skirting/pipes/doorframe in the same grey (as per my inspiration picture) or repaint white?
- Any thoughts on furniture would be greatly appreciated.

I've also got

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Consider painting skirting the same dark wood as the door frame in the picture.

As you can't really hide the pipes (without building up a tall deep "skirting" to completely enclose it) I'd paint both the pipes and rad dark grey/hammered metal finish if you can get it.

Furniture depends on what function and style you need and want.

No idea on curtains, my wife makes those decisions :yayclod:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Painting the skirting a dark brown but leaving the door natural brown? I feel like the inside face of the door (i.e. into the room) would need to be the same colour (part of the problem with the house is the "70's country kitchen" feel everything has with so much wood!) I don't think I can get away with painting the radiators, but I will definitely paint the pipes.

As for furniture the only thing I really "need" in the room is this desk, chair and piano. Behind me is the dog bed and the opposite corner has my amplifier. I was thinking maybe a floor standing lamp for that corner,. It just feels very empty in here!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it were me, I’d get somone in to put plywood covers over that piping. Handyman did ours in the kitchen of the last house and it cost me about a hundred quid. Given how much better the room looked it was money well spent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sorry, I was mentally mixing two pictures there. You have a light door and dark floor, your inspiration pic has the opposite. Consider painting the door and frame dark brown. Find and drape a piece of mid-to-dark grey fabric over the radiator and see how you feel about the colour. White will stand out against the green wall and imo never looks great.

Good to hear about furniture, don't want to crowd it. A lamp isn't a bad idea, uplighter or shaded?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sheer white curtains or black/dark wood blinds.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ I would expect a net and a regular curtain, but I guess a sheer/net alone will work because I'm not getting much direct light?

learnincurve posted:

If it were me, I’d get somone in to put plywood covers over that piping. Handyman did ours in the kitchen of the last house and it cost me about a hundred quid. Given how much better the room looked it was money well spent.

How high was the box?CAn you show a picture of what youmean? (i.e. faux skirting, some half-height shelf, etc.. )?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Southern Heel posted:

I do have a small few questions however:
- How can I work out what type/colour of curtains to use? It seems that pinterest/etc. are allergic to having curtains or any kind of window coverings. I'm not in direct sunlight and face into the countryside so no requirement for blackout curtains/etc.
- Should I paint the skirting/pipes/doorframe in the same grey (as per my inspiration picture) or repaint white?
- Any thoughts on furniture would be greatly appreciated.

Something I've not seen mentioned in this thread so far is the 70%/20%/10% rule for interior design color. The idea is that you pick 3 colors: one is your main (wall) color - that's the 70%. Then you have your trim/windows/furniture color: 20%. Then you pick a single color for your "accents".

In your example, the 70% is that green, and the dark grey is your 20%. It doesn't really have a third color (sure, there's a little blue, and a few different greens or browns) but you can pretty much pick anything so long as you select a few items and match them. Personally I would go with brass accents. Replacing the hinges on that door with brass ones, getting brass curtain rods, and having a few brass paperweights would give it a very classic feel.

As for furniture, a bookshelf is always a good office decor. Paint it either the green or the dark grey, get some nice wooden boxes to hide poo poo like printer cords, and put up all your best-looking books in there. Get a really comfortable, nice looking leather chair and put it near the bookshelf. Add a houseplant and you've got a nice looking office.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Southern Heel posted:

^ I would expect a net and a regular curtain, but I guess a sheer/net alone will work because I'm not getting much direct light?

How high was the box?CAn you show a picture of what youmean? (i.e. faux skirting, some half-height shelf, etc.. )?

I moved lol. I remebered that the trade term is “plywood pipe boxing” though, google image search throws up a load of different types, a lot of them linking to product pages :)

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

Yeah, that one's actually kinda nice. I don't know if I'd want to poop in there every morning forever, it's kinda got a themed hotel vibe that would get a little weird after a while, but it's pleasant.

I dunno, there's a baseboard heater right next to the toilet, so it'd probably be a pretty comfortable poop on cold mornings.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I did this in a kitchen at a previous house, I picked a new taller-than-the-piping skirting board, spaced it off the wall by about 20-25mm with timber filling the gap at the top. It's quite simple and after painting not noticeable. You have to do the whole room in the new skirting to match but everywhere else just fit it normally.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Southern Heel posted:

Can I post a quick sanity check and a small question here? I'm trying to figure this out for myself but would appreciate a little direction if possible.

Original

Nobody has addressed if you are keeping the sweet dinosaur lamp. Please find a use for that somewhere. I love it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This was posted in the Crappy Construction thread. Just a reminder that your choices of finishes can sometimes be downright dangerous:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Their first mistake was carpeting the staris at all. :colbert: