Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A ticketing system that is set up in a way that means people have to gently caress with ticket routing if employees quit and new ones are brought on is set up wrong. Assigning tickets directly to a person without an ability to ensure they aren't off work is super dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

A ticketing system that is set up in a way that means people have to gently caress with ticket routing if employees quit and new ones are brought on is set up wrong. Assigning tickets directly to a person without an ability to ensure they aren't off work is super dumb.

THAT IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT RANT. THIS PILE OF poo poo SERVICE DESK EXPRESS HAS OVER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN THOUSAND TICKETS IN IT, AND IS OVER EIGHT YEARS OLD.

It's being replaced later this year with a cloud implementation of ServiceNow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All ticketing systems are pain, hope you don't think migrating to servicenow is make your life better.

It just trades getting bamboo shoved under your fingernails with bamboo getting shoved under your toenails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spoiler: They leave the fingernail bamboo in place

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Service Now remains the worst ticketing experience I have ever encountered in my life.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you used ConnectWise?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

xzzy posted:

All ticketing systems are pain, hope you don't think migrating to servicenow is make your life better.

It just trades getting bamboo shoved under your fingernails with bamboo getting shoved under your toenails.

I'm just hoping that there's actually shortcut keys for everything, and that the same window accessed in two different manners doesn't have two different shortcut keys (one uses alt+o, the other alt+k for okay, and alt+c and alt+l for cancel).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you used ConnectWise?

It's usually not even ConnectWise that makes ConnectWise so bad. It's your company making it do a bunch of things it was never intended to do and just aaaauuuuugggghhhhhh

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Who thought it was a good loving idea to run a full virus scan against C: at 12PM every day, and why the gently caress do you think it won't impact the system at all? what the gently caress and why is this my problem because you are doing something stupid.

need new jerb

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MF_James posted:

need new jerb

poo poo, even my therapist thinks I need a new job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's usually not even ConnectWise that makes ConnectWise so bad. It's your company making it do a bunch of things it was never intended to do and just aaaauuuuugggghhhhhh

It's the same for service now, the software may not be award winning, but is technically capable of serving its designed purpose. But it lets an organization implement whatever schizophrenic logic management can dream up and that's where the whole thing turns into a pile of poo poo.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the only ticketing system that works is one you throw away every couple years and start over fresh.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The only ticket system that works is a printer that prints tickets as they come it, then feeds directly into a paper shredder.

100% close rate.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The only ticket system that works is a printer that prints tickets as they come it, then feeds directly into a paper shredder.

100% close rate.

Until the printer jams.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A printer sat in a cube, spewing out tickets onto the bottom of the container it's in. Then once the paper runs out, the whole lot is lowered into an industrial shredder. The cycle repeats with a new cube and a new printer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Assign the ticket to me and I will... take care of it.

:ninja:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

A printer sat in a cube, spewing out tickets onto the bottom of the container it's in. Then once the paper runs out, the whole lot is lowered into an industrial shredder. The cycle repeats with a new cube and a new printer.

I really want to do this with a line printer and a shredder. Any new ticket that comes in just instantly gets shredded. It'd be a decent april fools present for the NOC guys.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MF_James posted:

Who thought it was a good loving idea to run a full virus scan against C: at 12PM every day, and why the gently caress do you think it won't impact the system at all? what the gently caress and why is this my problem because you are doing something stupid.

need new jerb

I bet that person doesn't know the difference between 12am and 12pm.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

Ticket status: closed
Ticket resolution: Creator has been listed as a missing person since the evening he put this ticket in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Service Now remains the worst ticketing experience I have ever encountered in my life.

Huh. It’s been the best we’ve had and we’re now in year two.

Of course we actually took our time and hired contractors who specialize in ServiceNOW customization to make sure it met our requirements, tested it for 2 weeks in UAT alongside the production piece of poo poo we were using, and moved it into production.

poo poo is smooth as silk, and laid out in a very logical way and all the extraneous poo poo we don’t use is locked away from view and/or worse.

I’m not saying I want to have its babies, but it excels at what I want in a ticket system for my team. It gets out the way and doesn’t add difficulties to the problems being tracked.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Seriously, at $AWFUL_JOB the support manager kept going about how he wanted to change ticketing systems, and how the new one (I think TigerPaw) was so good because you could drag and drop tickets to techs and it was so easier. He kept going on and on about it, I kept telling him that there was a huge amount of features that we could use like emailing to/from the system to make it easier to be accountable, or basic features like ACTUALLY using tickets, but then he'd keep going on about dragging the tickets with his mouse, and I wanted to throw myself out a window.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

spog posted:

I bet that person doesn't know the difference between 12am and 12pm.

No, they do, the reasoning is "Work stations are often turned off at night and we want to ensure they are safe", just run a loving scan once a week like every other company, if it's good enough for our largest client it's good enough for the shitbag construction company client that works off of parts of my soul and satellite internet.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are replication errors after adding DCs common? I saw someone post about replication on the last page and it made me curious. We have sporadic replication errors after adding 2016 DCs and we don't really see a reason why.

We opened a ticket with Microsoft and the best they could tell us is that the DC changed its machine password while the network was unavailable and so the other DCs didn't get the update and it broke things.

Which seems super unlucky but sure, I guess it could happen once. Except we've seen the problem at least 4 times. We don't see any other issues on the network so it's not like we have an unreliable network where this could happen all the time.

I really came here to bitch though at our company buying X2 storage. We didn't even talk to any other vendors to see what they have to offer and also probably don't even need it anyway. It will be nice to have all flash and I'm sure it will perform better than the several-years-old spinning disk equallogic arrays we have. But in addition to whatever it costs for the storage itself, we have to buy Fibre Channel switches for it. And since we use iSCSI with the Equallogics, Fibre Channel cards for all of our hosts too. I don't even know if Fibre Channel is good technology, I've never really used it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Why do I see you doing a one man reenactment of the Jules and Vincent hotel room scene with a ticket printout sitting on a chair?

"Go ahead, motherfucker, SAY ESCALATE AGAIN!"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Samizdata posted:

Why do I see you doing a one man reenactment of the Jules and Vincent hotel room scene with a ticket printout sitting on a chair?

"Go ahead, motherfucker, SAY ESCALATE AGAIN!"

Do you read the bible, ticket four two one?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Get to work five minutes late due to an oil spill on the neighbouring road/highway/thing. Got a call questioning where I am and why I didn't call them to say i'd be late.

THERE ARE LAWS AGAINST USING MY PHONE WHILE DRIVING YOU gently caress

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
RDP to a server. Do some work there. Left it open. forgot to close it. A few hours pas by. Oh hey. This rdp is still open, let me close the connection. 2 minutes later. Server is down alert pops up.
Start to heavily second guess myself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sefal posted:

RDP to a server. Do some work there. Left it open. forgot to close it. A few hours pas by. Oh hey. This rdp is still open, let me close the connection. 2 minutes later. Server is down alert pops up.
Start to heavily second guess myself.

Don't more recent versions of Windows, when connecting through RDP, you have to go out of your way to shut them down. The menu says "Disconnect" in stead of shutdown or reboot right?

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 6, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Indeed. I'm not entirely sure what happened. It seemed to have lost connection. Event viewer isn't reporting a shutdown. It was a 2008 server

I connected again and the alert is gone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sefal posted:

Indeed. I'm not entirely sure what happened. It seemed to have lost connection. Event viewer isn't reporting a shutdown. It was a 2008 server

I connected again and the alert is gone.

I work 100% in RHEL and from time to time I have to reboot a client system. I have a process when I have to do so that I follow 100% of the time. I log out of all the other putty windows/securecrt windows and close all of them. Then I get up from my desk for a minute, sit down, log back in to the ONE server I want to reboot, I enter "# sudo reboot" count to five, remove the # and send it.

I've mistakenly shutdown a remote production server exactly one time, and it will not happen again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It is the sort of mistake you only make once. I once shut down a server that hosted all of the security data from one of the big megastore chains. Felt like an idiot for weeks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I remotely overwrote the OS of a production FreeBSD host while it was running because I put an extra space in the command. From 300 miles away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I trashed an array on a PERC instead of creating a new array with some unused disks. Via iDRAC, obviously.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have....7 fax lines? Barely used, I'm suggesting we go to electronic faxing to save money and phone line bullshit.

Watch this get shot down. It's only 2018 why wouldn't we hang on to traditional fax machines/lines?!

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I work 100% in RHEL and from time to time I have to reboot a client system. I have a process when I have to do so that I follow 100% of the time. I log out of all the other putty windows/securecrt windows and close all of them. Then I get up from my desk for a minute, sit down, log back in to the ONE server I want to reboot, I enter "# sudo reboot" count to five, remove the # and send it.

I've mistakenly shutdown a remote production server exactly one time, and it will not happen again.

I was doing some maintenance on a old backend test server which was still in use. I copy-pasted the userlist to my own computer through the clipboard, and had another long command ready to be pasted as root (I know I know, double check), as I paste it it pastes the entire userlist instead, which includes the username "halt".... it locks the entire physical computer. This started a benny hill-themed chase to the DC trying to FIND this old server in order to start it again. Complete shitshow. I was red in the face for a week afterwards.

Also as the cherry on top when we booted it we noticed it was configured wrong , as several settings had not been saved through this first reboot ever.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

We have....7 fax lines? Barely used, I'm suggesting we go to electronic faxing to save money and phone line bullshit.

Watch this get shot down. It's only 2018 why wouldn't we hang on to traditional fax machines/lines?!

I had a site request I install a new fax line to their building. I asked what the hell they need faxes for and that there has to be a better way than a buildout for a few thousand dollars and monthly costs of $40.

It was to put in catering orders for lunch once every other month.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xThrasheRx posted:

I was doing some maintenance on a old backend test server which was still in use. I copy-pasted the userlist to my own computer through the clipboard, and had another long command ready to be pasted as root (I know I know, double check), as I paste it it pastes the entire userlist instead, which includes the username "halt".... it locks the entire physical computer. This started a benny hill-themed chase to the DC trying to FIND this old server in order to start it again. Complete shitshow. I was red in the face for a week afterwards.

Also as the cherry on top when we booted it we noticed it was configured wrong , as several settings had not been saved through this first reboot ever.

Nice, while we are sharing, another tale:

I was putting our new PBX on a shelf in a small closet, so of course I stand on an office chair, which I promptly fall off, right onto the PRI cable that is going to the PBX which I pull off the shelf and destroy.

Of course the config wasn't saved.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nice, while we are sharing, another tale:

I was putting our new PBX on a shelf in a small closet, so of course I stand on an office chair, which I promptly fall off, right onto the PRI cable that is going to the PBX which I pull off the shelf and destroy.

Of course the config wasn't saved.

Dunno about OSHA, but standing on a chair to reach high places is something I'd expect IT professionals to not do.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

I once ran an sql query with a cartesian product between two tables with several million records in each by mistake on a production server. Everything on the server started crashing with out of memory errors, and I mean everything. That required a physical reboot, nothing else could access the server remotely. Was not fun explaining to the client "Yeah, see, I just forgot this word and you, ah, need to go and reboot the server".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CFO is having my systems analyst make some 'fake invoices' for stuff we didn't invoice starting LAST APRIL