Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Postgame is just there to let you clean up anything you didn't do before the end of the story without dealing with story constraints. If you don't care about 100% it's not giving you anything new (except the ability to wear goofy clothes).

excuse u its very fashionable clothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would someone kindly list the names of the real life Japanese wrestlers in featured in Yakuza 6? I wanna sell a friend on the series.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Okada, Naito, Tanahashi, Kojima(?), Yano and one other one with funny hair who does mongolian chops a lot I think

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Needs more Asuka.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

Okada, Naito, Tanahashi, Kojima(?), Yano and one other one with funny hair who does mongolian chops a lot I think

Hiroyoshi Tenzan. And wasn’t Shinauke Nakamura in too? [Edit] apparently not!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kikkoman posted:

Great. Now I'll just be screaming RAINNNNMAKERRRRR at my screen while I play.

GuidoAnchovies
Oct 27, 2005

Im'a get ya!
I came late to the series, starting at Yakuza 0, then just finished Kiwami. My wife's family back in Japan wanted to send me a Japanese region one, and I was curious if anyone here has tried the samurai offshoot games. They definitely seem interesting, especially since they are JP region only; but I didn't know if they were super straight-forward or if they have a similar amount of extra content (minigames, sub-stories, etc.) to the main series.

If it is super straight forward (or otherwise just not an amazing game), I might be more interested in importing Kiwami 2 since I still haven't played the original Yakuza 2. Thoughts on good imports for the series?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How does Kiwami compare to 0? I heard that it's much heavier on the side content vs. the main story.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

How does Kiwami compare to 0? I heard that it's much heavier on the side content vs. the main story.

Idk I felt like they were pretty similar in that regard. The main thing is there’s about half as much stuff in Kiwami because there’s only one playable character in one city whereas in 0 it’s two

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Pollyanna posted:

Kiwami's worth playing for Majima's loving crazy rear end. He's fantastic.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Kiwami shows its age, and its discount price tag. It's assuredly less of a game than 0.
The story is a bit more barebones and meandering. The side stories aren't as silly. And there are less diversions than in 0.

Not that I didn't have fun with it! But if you go in expecting 0 again you'll be a little disappointed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

GuidoAnchovies posted:

I came late to the series, starting at Yakuza 0, then just finished Kiwami. My wife's family back in Japan wanted to send me a Japanese region one, and I was curious if anyone here has tried the samurai offshoot games. They definitely seem interesting, especially since they are JP region only; but I didn't know if they were super straight-forward or if they have a similar amount of extra content (minigames, sub-stories, etc.) to the main series.

If it is super straight forward (or otherwise just not an amazing game), I might be more interested in importing Kiwami 2 since I still haven't played the original Yakuza 2. Thoughts on good imports for the series?

Kiwami 2 is coming west. The samurai games most likely aren't.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Pollyanna posted:

The actual gameplay and story hold up pretty well, and are comparable to 0 in a lot of ways. The side stories aren't as wacky, and the time-wasting content isn't as deep yet, but it's still pretty good. But it absolutely still shows its age despite the upgrades, as boss battles are even more horse poo poo than they are in 0, as they slowly learned what it was that made these games good. It's worth checking out if you're trying to get further into the franchise, and if you have nothing to play since 6 got pushed to April.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

GuidoAnchovies posted:

I came late to the series, starting at Yakuza 0, then just finished Kiwami. My wife's family back in Japan wanted to send me a Japanese region one, and I was curious if anyone here has tried the samurai offshoot games.

Kenzan owns a lot. Haven't played Ishin though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Couldn't find a dedicated Yakuza 6 thread so I'll try my luck here, does anyone know if Yakuza 6 supports HDR on the PS4 pro?

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Couldn't find a dedicated Yakuza 6 thread so I'll try my luck here, does anyone know if Yakuza 6 supports HDR on the PS4 pro?

According to this JP article, the game lets PS4 Pro handle the upscaling and there's no HDR support.
The article contains two YT videos one on regular PS4 and the other on Pro for comparison.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll prolly watch an LP of Kiwami instead and hold out for 6.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just watched Waypoint's stream of Yakuza 6, and if that first sub-story is anything to go by, the game will be a delight

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wow, I'm really glad I didn't buy Kiwami.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Kiwami suffers from the game it's a remake of being relatively sparse, but at the same time it feels almost like an expansion pack to 0. It also makes me want to go back and finally platinum 0.

Does anyone know exactly when Majima is available to fight? I fought him a couple times early in the game, and now I'm nearly done Chapter 7 and he's been AWOL this whole time. My poor Dragon style is all but useless :saddowns:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Danaru posted:

Kiwami suffers from the game it's a remake of being relatively sparse, but at the same time it feels almost like an expansion pack to 0. It also makes me want to go back and finally platinum 0.

Does anyone know exactly when Majima is available to fight? I fought him a couple times early in the game, and now I'm nearly done Chapter 7 and he's been AWOL this whole time. My poor Dragon style is all but useless :saddowns:

I think there are certain points where Majima stops showing up if your rank is at a certain level until you advance the story

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I think there are certain points where Majima stops showing up if your rank is at a certain level until you advance the story

Yeah, if Majima is tired of playing with you, he'll show up in the park at the far north-east, near the entrance to the homeless encampment. He'll be having a smoke and chilling out trying to think of new ways to gently caress you up.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just play Kiwami for fucks sake. Any game will feel sparse compared to 0. It’s not as deep as 0 and the side missions are a little less risky but if you want a Yakuza fix until 6, you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kiwami's really fuckin' good.
Nothing will be as good as 0.
Every reaction I've seen to 6 suggests it's not nearly close to 0 in quality and probably not even as good as Kiwami so if you're holding out for that to be the next transcendent Yakuza experience that Kiwami isn't, you'll be disappointed.

6 is probably still really good.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Do the PS4 games support multiple saves?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup you can make as many as you like

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, if Majima is tired of playing with you, he'll show up in the park at the far north-east, near the entrance to the homeless encampment. He'll be having a smoke and chilling out trying to think of new ways to gently caress you up.

He wasn't there last time I went there :saddowns: I had to go to work during the car shootout sequence, so hopefully once I get back to Kamurocho he'll show up and kick my rear end.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Another vote for “Just play Kiwami”. I went straight into it after Zero and after not having played Yakuza since it first came out and I’ve been loving it so far

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Yakuza 0 was my Goty for 2017 and Kiwami was the runner-up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe it's cause I watched the LP at 1.5x speed, but I thought Kiwami's story was not as good as 0's.

I hope I didn't spoil myself by playing 0 first. :negative:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 6, 2018

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe it's cause I watched the LP at 1.5x speed, but I thought Kiwami's story was not as good as 0's.

I hope I didn't spoil myself by playing 0 first. :negative:

It's not as good as 0's story, but that's mostly due to them being limited by the story of the original game.

And I think Kiwami is meant to be played after 0 anyway. They brought some characters from 0 into Kiwami that weren't in Yakuza 1, like the Pocket Circuit Fighter. That whole side story wouldn't have the same impact if you hadn't played 0 first.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kiwami's the first in the series, technically. It doesn't have years of character to build off of after all.

I think Yakuza games benefit from breathing room after you finish them though so even if Kiwami was as good as 0, I don't think playing it immediately after you finish 0 would reflect super well on it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yakuza didn't become the over-the-top farce that it is now until 2, so 1/Kiwami feels really weird after 10 years. Every side mission is basically genuinely trying to help people with real problems rather than deciding how a hesitant amateur dominatrix should speak in front of children, or punching plates for a movie, or having to beat down grown men in diapers because they got mad that you refused their hospitality.

That doesn't make it a bad game, per se, but a completely different game from what it's become and what people might expect now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, I think it's because Yakuza 1 took itself so seriously that I had a hard time keeping a straight face during Kiwami. It felt a lot more trite and a lot less sure of what it was doing. Which, yeah, it's the first game in the series so early-installment weirdness abounds, but still.

I'll definitely play Kiwami 2 though. :getin:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Give us the loving Kiwami 2 release date, fuckers!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pollyanna posted:

I'll definitely play Kiwami 2 though. :getin:

I've been playing the demo over again and even though it's relatively brief it's amazing. It just looks so much better than Kiwami 1. I mean not just on a technical level because of the Yakuza 6 engine, but the lighting being more like Yakuza 2, the less remixed music, the weird extra spaces and buildings and alleyways everywhere you can use as shortcuts, it's way more "Yakuza 2 but better in every way" than Kiwami 1 is compared to its original.

I loved Kiwami a lot but I feel like this is going to be much less disjointed since there'll be less new story/character stuff they need to shoehorn in to make it seem like more robust.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, do you guys like losing more money to Sony? Well...

They updated PS Now with a few games.

Yakuza 4 and 5 are now on PS Now if you wanted to know.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

widespread posted:

Meanwhile, do you guys like losing more money to Sony? Well...

They updated PS Now with a few games.

Yakuza 4 and 5 are now on PS Now if you wanted to know.

This solves my 'I can no longer play Y4' issue after upgrading to a PS4, and I'm very glad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a dork so I still have a working PS2 and PS3 with the original games. That's why I'm in no rush to play Kiwami. Can't wait to see how Kiryu's story ends in 6 and bring on Fist of the Northstar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is PS Now the same internationally or am I gonna have to jump through some hoops to get into the US one?