Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

The bullfrog hits you but does no dacastercrab.

:lol: Araganzar's definitely got some work to do on crablang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Turns out one has to select "Gooncrawl" to return to a Gooncrawl run! I got my first slimy rune, I credit this to the crabs.

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 30, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

rchandra posted:

travel_delay and explore_delay, I think you want them set to -1.

That got it, thanks!

Edit:

:allears: This is absolutely perfect and should never be changed.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 31, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

:lol: Araganzar's definitely got some work to do on crablang.
there are some things which are very choice

and some other things which aren't, but I almost don't want fixed

e:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 31, 2018

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
Cleared shoals with my OgHu of Oka, flattening things either with Eos and reflection or a +7 vamp giant club and +8 slaying. Still involves some care as diving into a group of impalers would have gotten me killed. A minotaur dropped pearl dragon scales which is awesome, but I've got deformed body mut which is less awesome. Still at 17 AC which is pretty nice for an Ogre. All the crab talk is a little confusing but fun.

Aiming for first Gooncrawl win. Not sure if I'll stop at 3 runes or try for all 15, my only other win ever was a 15 runer so maybe there's no need to go through it again. But with 15 I'll top the charts for some time indeed..

edit:died in snake :(

I'm plsesad if anyone's bumping into my ghosts

Caredresser fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 31, 2018

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

GOTY

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

*scribbles notes furiously*

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Well, that's something I'll never see again.

Second win ever! Thanks, crabcrawl!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-113-gdd6f4a9 (console) character file.

16704978 Lightli the Ghoulish Barricade (level 27, 266/266 HPs)
             Began as a Ghoul Fighter on Jan 28, 2018.
             Was the Champion of Yredelemnul.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Jan 31, 2018!

The game lasted 05:06:16 (93087 turns).
This may actually be the single rarest task I have ever accomplished in Crawl: this was only the 32nd game recorded on the official servers where a Yred worshipper got all 15 runes without abandoning the god for one that sucks less in extended. This was also the first Yred game I have won in over 5 years; the last one was back when Death Knights were still a background and you had no limits on how many bone dragons or profane servitors could be gifted to you at a given time, let alone all the other stuff that was different back then.

I found in it's unique vault the large shield of Ignorance on D:10, which while it would mark a drastic improvement to survivability (being a +10 large shield) would also drop my Int below 0 and thus cripple me due to brainlessness. Fortunately, I then acquired OCPA in Lair, which solved the problem while also being stellar defensively to begin with. By the time I started the extended endgame I was sitting on 42 SH, which combined with my very high AC meant regular damage was almost meaningless to me.

Yred's abilities were very nice to have during the standard 3-rune part of the game; Drain Life was a great panic button that easily would heal me for most/all of my missing health if I had a lot of enemies in LOS to drain life away from, animating the dead is always good (especially since unlike the Necromancy school spells, Yred's animate dead doesn't have the raised dead time out and disintegrate eventually, so you can eventually just snowball through an entire floor once you hit a critical mass of zombies), and the undead minion gifts were nice since they eventually meant I had the ability to just recall them in and wipe out anything that was a problem; I would frequently go out of my way to drag the stronger ones off a floor I was clearing so they wouldn't get themselves killed and thus I would be able to call them in when needed.

One huge change compared to when I last won Yred is that you now get piety for killing undead and demons, meaning that doing extended with Yred is no longer a race against time to finish out the game before you run out of piety and get excommunicated (hence why no one ever did it).

Spoiler alert: Yred is not super amazing in extended, since the only activated abilities that keep any relevancy in the hells/pan/tomb are recalling in your undead minion and trying to use Eenslave Soul. Another change from when I last played Yred was that Enslave Soul now works on demons; while my first use of Enslave Soul ended poorly (enslaving Nikola, who then commenced to electrocute himself with chain lightning and die because he no longer had rElec), my second one fared much better since I managed to pull it off against Asmodeus.

Surprisingly, the undead army actually held up very well in extended; even after it had been diminished through being used to tear apart multiple demon lords it still pulled through against Lom Lobon and his endless arsenal of AOE spells, and in holy pan where everything did extra damage to them. It was by far the strongest thing Yred still brought to the table in extended and I took as much advantage of it as I could.

By the way, Tomb still sucks even if you're undead; you trade being vulnerable to torment for being vulnerable to dispel undead (which is arguably a worse trade since torment can't kill while dispel undead can), and everything else threatening in the branch remains just as threatening whether you're living or not. I had such ridiculous defenses and offenses that I was actually able to clear out the final floor rather than just grab the rune and run for the hill, so that was cool I guess.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20180131-134207.txt
Character log.

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot

jaclynhyde posted:

Well, that's something I'll never see again.

Second win ever! Thanks, crabcrawl!

Now I gotta beat you!!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Caredresser, I just want you to know that your avatar is the second one I've ever specifically blocked. I hope you're proud.

Edit: gently caress, IT ISN'T WORKING

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot

PMush Perfect posted:

Caredresser, I just want you to know that your avatar is the second one I've ever specifically blocked. I hope you're proud.

Edit: gently caress, IT ISN'T WORKING

I would be proud but someone else bought it for me. there's a long story

I've grown fond of it so I haven't replaced it because drat, look at that thing, that is really something

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is there any point in saving scrolls of acquirement?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

queserasera posted:

As far as I'm aware, no. If your skill balance changes, the acquirement weights will change with it, so theoretically it might be worth waiting in some situations, but I think you should be firing them off immediately 99% of the time.

Acquirement can also get you food or gold, so if you're right about to hit Orc and see a bunch of shops it might be worth waiting too

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

queserasera posted:

Some pro players will tell you to hold off on it for various reasons but I would rather read them ASAP and go for (B)armour or a weapon that will hopefully let me live longer. But yeah, like the guy above me said, sometimes it could be argued to wait until you've cleared orc to get a feel for something you might want. No point begging for armour if you find some sick stuff in a shop there, similar for weapons too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

Some pro players will tell you to hold off on it for various reasons but I would rather read them ASAP and go for (B)armour or a weapon that will hopefully let me live longer. But yeah, like the guy above me said, sometimes it could be argued to wait until you've cleared orc to get a feel for something you might want. No point begging for armour if you find some sick stuff in a shop there, similar for weapons too.

Yeah, it's way easier to talk yourself into mistakenly waiting than to use it too soon. Same with potions of experience. To save acq I need to be _very_ comfortable with the character's current strength, and have a specific thing I'm waiting for to check first (most often orc shops). To save exp I need to be more than 90% of the way to a new XL.

e: the other reason to save acq is because you have a trove that wants 2, but you might never find 2 and the trove might be bad so I'd almost always ignore that until I find 2 together/in shops.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

queserasera posted:

If I'm a Demonspawn with most of what I want already and almost max level with Talons 2 then I wait because gently caress getting boots of running that fall off immediately.

But it's an edge case.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The only time I’d hold off on acquirement is if I start as something like a wizard or ice elementalist that wants to use a weapon, isn’t worshipping Okawaru and hasn’t invested enough in the relevant skill to weight acquirement towards my chosen weapon type. Then I’ll wait until I have more than 8 in my weapon skill before reading it. Otherwise, I think it’s pretty much always the better choice to use it immediately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I use exp immediately, the earlier it is, the bigger bump it is in abilities.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I've missed being able to eat the purple and accumulate a bunch of good muts.

edit: If I find it early, I always drink Experience right away. Mid-game, I'll wait if I'm close to the next level. 24-25 I'll wait until 26.

Acquirement is worth saving if you pick it up near the end of Slime, Elf, Vaults since you might get an item that changes what you need to shore up.

edit 2: I think I got the first 15 rune win on Gooncrawl with this character. Finished a Zig, too. :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thalamas fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 4, 2018

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
I keep getting good characters going past 2 runes and dying to something stupid. Keep forgetting to stop flying on my gargoyle gods and dying to airstrike.

Been playing a loooot most of the highscores is me (but not the very top!) gonna give GREE another go today, shatter is so much fun.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

that moment where you wish you had trained throwing instead of slings

e: actually poo poo, should I cut my losses on slings 10 and switch to throwing? I had a good reason to grab slings when I did (long blades primary with no flaming brand found, bought a +5 hunting sling of freezing on D5 for ~300g to deal with hydras which it did great at)

https://pastebin.com/FqPJN3bD

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 5, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Don't see why not, you've got some cross-training to tide you over until you hit the same skill level.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Thowing is Real drat Good as a high Str character with javs. Plus you don't have to fiddle with swapping a launcher in and out.

This is exactly what cross-training's for. Go for it!

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Got my FoFi splatted by a Pandemonium Lord on D:1, not twenty steps from the exit. Appeared right in my way and I got tormented to poo poo. Would have been my second win, but ehhh. Probably should have popped fog or other stuff the minute I saw him and gone up a different way from D:2. I learned that staves are really loving good, though!

I really don't know what spells are any good for heavy melee, I mostly forgot I had them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You didn't attempt to make a murder closet so only one pan lord had Line of Sight (or backed away to more favourable terrain for the same reason), you didn't pop a potion of might and agility to make the fight go faster, and you didn't have regeneration running.

You did have both Okawaru abilities going, which is good! You also didn't try scroll of fog or holy word because you had blurry vision 2.

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
I've got a GREE with high-power Ignition and Shatter going on gooncrawl, 4 runes, cleared Vault:5 and Elf:3 with relative ease. I found the orange crystal plate armour, working towards getting those castable in it. Crystal spear is about 20% (with wizardry) while those two are closer to 40-50. I'm already a god destroying everything but I could also be that with 60+ AC so why not? plus Archmagi will boost things even further. gotta find some C+ to balance out my ring of fire though.. that and a staff of earth will get me that 3x boost on both spell schools. least I think it's 3x.

obviously I'm aiming for 15 runes. and I'll do two zigs to get 1st place :)

it's midnight so I'm gonna give it a pause and hopefully don't splat as soon as I get back on tomorrow, as I've done several times...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just won a 5-runer, my first with gooncrawl.

Loved the food and wand unification stuff and being able to eat the purple and fight ghosts.

When the Malmutate stuff is fixed I'll be a lot happier, it seems like I hit a dozen shining eyes in Slime and it was... frustrating.

Didn't even bother with Hell and Tomb this time. In general my loot was bad minus finding two great pieces. This also makes it my 12th run in a row that the Orc shops might as well have been abandoned because they were filled with total crap.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats! I was doing well with another Gooncrawl GrEE, trying to get multiple runes, and then I died an impressively stupid death. Question: how do you edit your init file when the option isn't given on the main page (like in berotato)? EDIT: Never mind, I actually tried clicking on the little link that says "edit." Maybe I should just gently caress around with Xom today...

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 5, 2018

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

jaclynhyde posted:

Maybe I should just gently caress around with Xom today...

Xom laughs at your arrogance.

Xom says he will be doing the loving Around.

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
My GrEE is going strong, got fire storm as well (prefer ignition+shatter honestly) but I'm running low on rations, even using the staff of energy. Kind of worried I'm going to lose this char to starvation. Reckon I'd find some in a ziggurat? I have the evocable to summon one up. I can max out stuff like spellcasting/fighting while I'm there too. Might pick up some better randarts with resistances too (currently packing C+ and not much else).

If anyone's got any ideas to avoid starvation, hit me up

edit: they do indeed contain some rations, I might be okay after all :) drat this is hard though..

Caredresser fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 6, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
Welp splated that crab dogg that should have ascended.

Caredresser
Oct 10, 2012

by zen death robot
yup I died in zig:22 to mummy curses. got pain'd down low then smited by priests. oh well I had my fun being a god I feel pretty satisfied

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

There doesn't seem to be any serious issues with release, so it's time to cycle back around to design and FRs for the next version.

First things first, I'll bring up for discussion anything that got approved last time but didn't make the v1.0 release in order to work out any design issues. I'll do so a couple topics at a time to avoid crowding the discussion of things. After that's done, I'll move onto a run-off vote for the designs for those that need it. Next, I'll move into another FR survey (and may or may not take time to do votes on designs for those as well, depending on how much is on the plate for v2.0).

Let's hit the simple topics first:

Remove Vaults rune lock - This has already seen some discussion, with the argument mainly being about freedom of progress vs trivialization of earlier rune levels from Vaults XP. I won't call another vote about the rune lock itself as it already passed a "Yes, with changes" majority on the FR survey according to the rules I layed out, but one idea I've come up with to try to find a middle ground is moving the Vaults entrance to Depths:1-2. This makes it more challenging to access Vaults, meaning you might want to complete the Lair branch rune floors first for more experience to make it past. Another idea could be to make it more dangerous to be in Vaults without a rune (like having rune-locked doors or a status effect in the branch). Feel free to bring up any other ideas/designs (of course, just straight removing the rune lock without modification is a valid option).

Remove SInv from entropy weavers - I don't really see any room for discussion on this (unless it's about giving them another ability to replace SInv), but I'm bringing it up anyway since it was in "Yes, with changes".

Re-implement Healer background - This is simple to do, but likely ended up in the "Yes, with changes" category because the playstyle of pacifying everything from turn 1 doesn't really exist anymore for Elyvilon. I can just bring the background back as is or with minor changes, but I would require a FR vote (and design) for any major Ely changes.

Implement "helmet shell" ability for octopodes wearing helmets - I know this was basically just a meme, but it's in the "Yes, with changes" category. So, how should this work?

Once discussion tapers off on these topics, I'll make notes of any major points/ideas/designs and move onto some of the bigger topics (like Pakellas). I'll put together a runoff vote once everything has had some discussion..

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Those all look fine to me but personally the malmutate rework/cancelling and hellcrawl perma-buffs seem more interesting (and difficult to implement?) than putting healer back in or removing the Vault lock.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
I like old Ely.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
1) I like the idea of making it more dangerous to be in Vaults without a Rune but leaving it around D14. Maybe a hell-effects thing but with the Sentinel/Warden/Convoker effect instead of miscasts? Or just randomly locking 1/2 the up-stairs in a level?

2) Entropy Weavers could also stand to lose one or two of their 4 attacks

3) I don't care which version of Ely you use. The current version is probably stronger overall, but a less unique playstyle

4) I don't know what this is.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Those all look fine to me but personally the malmutate rework/cancelling and hellcrawl perma-buffs seem more interesting (and difficult to implement?) than putting healer back in or removing the Vault lock.

I'll be hitting every topic currently voted up (including the ones that are half-implemented like Malmutate reform), but I don't want to crowd discussion with a mish mash of everything being talked about at once. Don't worry that I'm leaving stuff off the table; I only sorta did that with v1.0 because existing was a more important goal for that release than getting everything done.

Speleothing posted:

4) I don't know what this is.

It's something that got requested and voted up (along with giving helmets to octopodes). I have no clue of the details beyond that, which is why I'm asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'd like it if it were functionally a runelock that provides for entertaining stories if you somehow manage it. I'd want it to be as extreme as every monster in vaults having the convoker "summon poo poo to me" power.

• Locked thread