Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Kazinsal posted:

His descent into "no 1gnoirents, you are the demons" has been some :magical:-grade fascinating.

I hate to disappoint but even if the price dropped to $0 I've made many thousands since you started this thread lol. But I admit my recklessness, trading thousands to make $20 over 30 seconds over and over, buying and parting out computers to ebay on *financing*, is a funny bitcoin story. But I will argue that even having the most basic checks to the madness protected me fully, and would have likely protected most people. Right now I am on the hook for a stupid Alienware computer but as of last Saturday it can be fully paid off with buttcoin bux if I wanted to.

The real question is do I return it. I have 20 days... I probably should. Somehow this is one of the harder decisions. It will hold value better that most computers however GTC is coming. But a paper launch - at best - in March gives me what, 2 months (?) historically, before what is likely going to be an equivalent mining card releaseto a 1080ti. If it holds at $4/day then its worth keeping but ... I dunno! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://etherscan.io/chart/difficulty

I see difficulty skyrocketing still

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

1gnoirents posted:

I hate to disappoint but even if the price dropped to $0 I've made many thousands since you started this thread lol. But I admit my recklessness, trading thousands to make $20 over 30 seconds over and over, buying and parting out computers to ebay on *financing*, is a funny bitcoin story. But I will argue that even having the most basic checks to the madness protected me fully, and would have likely protected most people. Right now I am on the hook for a stupid Alienware computer but as of last Saturday it can be fully paid off with buttcoin bux if I wanted to.

The real question is do I return it. I have 20 days... I probably should. Somehow this is one of the harder decisions. It will hold value better that most computers however GTC is coming. But a paper launch - at best - in March gives me what, 2 months (?) historically, before what is likely going to be an equivalent mining card releaseto a 1080ti. If it holds at $4/day then its worth keeping but ... I dunno! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how well you managed your risk but keep in mind that the market could have crashed at any time. Given the magnitude of numbers you mention in this post it sounds like when you outlaid for financed gear or traded thousands to make <1% on that money you exposed yourself to risk that could have swallowed up your profit to date if those investments had gone south.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

You rode the bubble and lucked out. Nothing more, nothing less.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

All the risk was managed by mining $15-30 a day for 3 months straight honestly, and $5-$10 a day 4 more previous to that, luck only played a role in January. Everybody "won" last year unless you made some really terrible choices and/or got very unlucky. Im just annoyed I didnt put my own money in last year, considering I was able to turn $500 (my only cash investment) into $1400 in a terrible crashing market month by just watching the books and settling for $20 profits*. Last year I could have put that in at any time and jerked off for a month and sold for likely a huge gain, but I *really* didnt trust bitcoin last year. Also all those $40 0.01 BTC sell mid year last year are painful to think about, which amounted to $450 "lost" per week for a month or two if I had held until the end of the year. But again I trusted bitcoin so little there was no chance of me doing that.

I guess in the end I'm just grateful that I've pulled out for now and am still mining $15 a day despite it all. For the moment...

*and one large ~20% 1 hour boon last week

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 6, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

Im just annoyed I didnt put my own money in last year, considering I was able to turn $500 into $1400 in a terrible crashing market month by just watching the books and settling for $20 profits.

And this is where I get off the train.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
He put in minimal actual money, cashed out regularly, and never trusted BTC to retain its value for more than a few days at a time. He is kinda sad he missed out on making even more profits, but was a sane man and played it safe, and now isn't stuck with a poo poo ton of hardware or coins he can't move. He did basically everything this entire thread has been urging people to do, and made a profit. Yet people are still upset with him because.... :shrug:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can still make money buying the coins directly, your sacrifice will be remembered

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
My point in talking about risk management is that you put an outlay to get your equipment and if the market had turned on you before it did you'd be in the red. There is no predicting the market, you got lucky.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Dren posted:

My point in talking about risk management is that you put an outlay to get your equipment and if the market had turned on you before it did you'd be in the red. There is no predicting the market, you got lucky.

I agree the equipment was a risk this last month. So much so I'm waffling hard on my last purchase as I can get my money back fully for a while.

Last year however I only spent $80 on a computer to house my old gaming 1080, and my 1080ti was a gaming card I'd have definitely purchased no matter what. A laptop was running a 1060 + i7 sporadically as well that was purchased because I'm on the road a lot, not bitcoin related. Also it probably helps that I have a long history of buying and reselling GPUs and poo poo, I've had... 25+ GPUs in the last 3 years, and I'm in the green on that as well even though that was not my intent. Typically I'd have sold that 1080, which at the time was roughly $400, so I consider that part of my "investment" into bitcoin last year. So roughly ~$500 in, however I could have sold that 1080 at any time for more than I bought it for so its not so cut and dry. The point is, I very intentionally was not invested financially last year because of my total lack of trust. In the very thread I was flipping out when the price hit $2000 in pure astonishment. I wish I was but for the reason you state, I was not.

DrDork posted:

He put in minimal actual money, cashed out regularly, and never trusted BTC to retain its value for more than a few days at a time. He is kinda sad he missed out on making even more profits, but was a sane man and played it safe, and now isn't stuck with a poo poo ton of hardware or coins he can't move. He did basically everything this entire thread has been urging people to do, and made a profit. Yet people are still upset with him because.... :shrug:

<3

but ill stop trying to defend myself as well, Ive worn out my welcome for sure

I just realized the only reason I started mining was to help pay for my computer(s). If I really add everything up, I accomplished that goal exactly. I have technically paid off a new personal gaming build, the 1080ti, the original 1080, a 1070, and if I wanted another whole Alienware with 1080ti in it. Im going to call my mom and tell her I finally finished something I started

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 6, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

DrDork posted:

...because cryptocurrency is dumb as gently caress

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

...because cryptocurrency is dumb as gently caress

No one is disagreeing on that point.

I don't think we have anyone in this thread pontificating about the inevitable conquest of the superior block-chain currency and that, though our faith be tested by the harrowing falls in value of late, we should just hodl and soldier on to the bright crypto-future that buttcoins portend. Just people making some money on the margins while laughing at idiots taking out mortgages to buy coins to play a market they clearly do not understand.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

No one is disagreeing on that point.

I don't think we have anyone in this thread pontificating about the inevitable conquest of the superior block-chain currency and that, though our faith be tested by the harrowing falls in value of late, we should just hodl and soldier on to the bright crypto-future that buttcoins portend. Just people making some money on the margins while laughing at idiots taking out mortgages to buy coins to play a market they clearly do not understand.

I'll say it again. It's all luck. The market could have crashed last month, or yesterday, or 3 weeks from now, or bitcoin could have hit the moon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And no one's disagreeing. Which is why everyone has been harping on how no one should be hodling anything, no one should be investing in hardware just to mine, no one should be buying coins with cash, but rather should be cashing out on a regular basis and be fully prepared to watch any coins they're sitting on rapidly shoot to $0.

Which he did.

Seriously, man, what more do you want? There's a sour-grapes smell here...

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

DrDork posted:

It's an ecological disaster and anyone promoting it in a 'responsible' way is a loving idiot

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Cryptocurrency is perfectly fine for buying research chemicals on the internet.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Ok now, I am not promoting trading in bitcoin, I have explicitly stated I am fully out. All I did was explain how I made money off of dips using freely available information and fee-less transactions. I only explained it after doing it for a few weeks, after I was sure I wasn't loving up, and only because nobody explained it to me. And because I wanted to brag about it on the internet. You can do it now if you wanted, but even I'm out and I can't actually recommend doing that at the moment. If it stabilizes I likely will return and do the same thing I had been doing. If it doesn't, it was a fun ride. I tried to explain how I did it minimizing my risk the best way I knew how, which was trading profit for security essentially.

This is nothing to do with the power usage associated with mining, or really nothing to do with mining at all. I am very happy with my mining returns, but the moral implications can be fuzzy, though all the most worst attacks on it seem to have been based on completely made up numbers. I know roughly how much power I personally used, because it was a financial concern, and compared to the money I got out of it I fail to see how I could have more efficiently turned that much energy into value personally. Now if you want to get on my case about destroying the planet I'll defer you to my cat-less 12 mpg STi days, which was much worse. Or my catless 29 psi SS days. Even currently I guess, I ride a motorcycle and drive an inefficient old pickup. I could be riding a bicycle to work. I'm not very concerned about my literal solar powered GPUs.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 6, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The venn diagram works for all cryptocurrencies

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

And no one's disagreeing. Which is why everyone has been harping on how no one should be hodling anything, no one should be investing in hardware just to mine, no one should be buying coins with cash, but rather should be cashing out on a regular basis and be fully prepared to watch any coins they're sitting on rapidly shoot to $0.

Which he did.

Good for him, like honestly, good for him. I funded basically 2 computer builds out of the whole crazy Crypto Market :q:

I'm not trying to poo poo on your personally :). I'm just coming in like a big ole wet blanket so that people realize that what you did was pure luck and not some magic sauce investment strategy, or whatever. I really don't want to see someone here reading your enthusiastic posts and going hey this looks like a great idea then getting mega burned.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

I really don't want to see someone here reading your enthusiastic posts and going hey this looks like a great idea then getting mega burned.

Ok, I can get down with this. Especially consider the big poo poo-fest the crypto market has turned into in the last few days, no one should be venturing into it right now at all.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fair enough. I disagree that it was pure luck, but I agree that bad luck would have burned me and anybody else. I've already explained it enough though, I will just try to enjoy my peanuts.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

1gnoirents posted:

This is nothing to do with the power usage associated with mining, or really nothing to do with mining at all.

In the Cryptocurrency Mining Thread.

Congrats on making some money, but perhaps things like this is why people are getting a little salty.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i dunno, i had an rx480 lying around and ran nicehash before all this blew up, then bought a whole bunch of monero at 11 dollars because why not, then i cashed out some mining profit for a 980ti to game with because at that point you could still find them used for like $300.

then i just sat on everything, mining with two cards and sold everything but one monero when bitcoin was 12k and dropping. i'm up a few grand for basically no effort whatsoever, and i'll probably buy in again when btc finishes cratering. i guess the moral of this tale is that you don't have to daytrade to take money from people who like to dump money into things they don't understand.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I mean none of us are mining anymore. This should really be the Slightly More Effort Than Shitposting Cryptocurrency Bubble Thread.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1gnoirents posted:

Fair enough. I disagree that it was pure luck, but I agree that bad luck would have burned me and anybody else. I've already explained it enough though, I will just try to enjoy my peanuts.

Enjoy your gains the best way possible. By spending them :D

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrDork posted:

Which he did.

it's not sour grapes. it's a guy boasting on the internet about how much money he made and insisting he's very smart. which is just the most worthless poo poo ever.

also if you made thousands of dollars kick a little back to the 'taxman and buy yourself an avatar. bragging about money when you're wearing a newbie trump av, very Sad!

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Nicehash coinbase withdraws is back to .002 so that's nice. Time to get another $15 amazon giftcard.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Klyith posted:

it's not sour grapes. it's a guy boasting on the internet about how much money he made and insisting he's very smart. which is just the most worthless poo poo ever.

also if you made thousands of dollars kick a little back to the 'taxman and buy yourself an avatar. bragging about money when you're wearing a newbie trump av, very Sad!

I am very smart. I have an IQ of 100 (triple digits). While I have made thousands on my intelligence, I have reinvested it into mangosteens ensuring tens of thousands more, not to mention my health, and direct advice from the taxman himself thus paying my due. I encourage everybody to do the same.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

And no one's disagreeing.

1gnoirents is disagreeing and insists that it wasn't pure luck, but rather a little bit of luck combined with smartly timing the bubble or something. Although in actuality it was definitely pure luck

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I made a few thousand bucks flipping Diablo 3 gold when it came out, because I was lucky. Not skilled.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TO THE MOON

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

banning durians makes sense because those things smell like a month old diaper pail but I don't get why you'd ban mangosteens unless you just don't like lowtax and you're super passive agressive about it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

#bitcoincouple posted:

:airquote:My cousin:airquote: has 2 tickets for the 2018 SUPER BOWL, both box seats. #bitcoin #ethereum #crypto is accepted! He paid $4,500 for each ticket, but he didn't realize last year when he bought them, that it was going to be the same day of his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place... It's at St Patrick Church, in San Jose at 3pm. Her name is Becky, she is 5'6 about 135lbs, good cook and loves to cuddle.. she'll be the one in the white puffy dress-enjoy!

Emphasis mine

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

banning durians makes sense because those things smell like a month old diaper pail but I don't get why you'd ban mangosteens unless you just don't like lowtax and you're super passive agressive about it

They stain stuff like a mofo

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I mean none of us are mining anymore. This should really be the Slightly More Effort Than Shitposting Cryptocurrency Bubble Thread.

I am! But just until I cross the threshold for one last nicehash payout (tomorrow morning) and then I'm switching back to Folding@Home for my supplemental heat.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kazinsal posted:

I'm still mining burstcoin :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Sibling of TB posted:

Nicehash coinbase withdraws is back to .002 so that's nice. Time to get another $15 amazon giftcard.

People talk about Coinbase gift cards but I don't see them in my account, am I missing something?

• Locked thread