Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is this the first time they've promised info on the video game or are they still in a holding pattern over a game that was nominally shown at the last E3?

EDIT http://onlysp.com/world-of-darkness-exclusive-interview/ Interview with Tobias and Voivode Groinsblood from October. He's claiming to be reviewing “every part of the game, every piece of concept art, as a part of [the] licensing process.” so :lol: Also has anybody discussed how the topics he wants to handle and the way he wants to take them on is going to go over like a live grenade in a crowded room in the current social and political climate? Maybe that's what's keeping it under wraps, besides how drat early it is- The Last Night got all its good press torpedoed when its creator turned out to be some stripe of alt-right. The Discourse is going to be palpable.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

I Am Just a Box posted:

Print on demand coupon

I signed up for a PoD coupon for Changeling and am getting one, because my friend, who GMs most of the games my group plays, has a policy where if anyone buys him a physical copy of the book he will run any game.

Not that it's a common reason for it, but getting a second one for a friend or for the group might be a reason people get the PoD ones?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nah, that's exceedingly Attitude Era. Which is a pretty good description of the nuWW approach in general.
Classic White Wolf is to ECW what nuWW is to IWA Deep South.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I used the PoD coupon on Mage 20th so I could have a table copy that wasn't quite as unwieldy as the deluxe book.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They keep on talking up this Werewolf game but the fact that they don't have anything at this point other than some mediocre art and a terrible logo tells me that it's going to be garbage and Paradox isn't really involved in the process.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Eagerly awaiting the game and then V5 sales to be so low that PDX takes a second look at the idea of being so hands-off with nuWW

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Unfortunately V5 will likely sell quite well. We are a relative minority of the fanbase - a great many more belong to the LARP world these days.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
V5 will probably have a strong market penetration in Europe, but it's going to go over like a wet fart in America.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Loomer posted:

Unfortunately V5 will likely sell quite well. We are a relative minority of the fanbase - a great many more belong to the LARP world these days.

Well yeah, but there are aspects of the LARP community that the LARP community doesn't like to encourage, and if V5 is laser targeted at them it'll piss the wider LARP community off too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

V5 is going to do OK for the same reason 5e D&D did. Nostalgia is worth much more than good design, and there's going to be a ton of ill-informed gaming articles about how great it is that "Vampire the Masquerade is finally back!"

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

moths posted:

V5 is going to do OK for the same reason 5e D&D did. Nostalgia is worth much more than good design, and there's going to be a ton of ill-informed gaming articles about how great it is that "Vampire the Masquerade is finally back!"

Funny you should say that, because most of the praise I've seen for 5e is centered on the fact that it isn't stuck in the past. That's not so much the game design though as the worldbuilding and illustrations climbing out that icky cave where everyone is white as the driven snow, women are legally obligated to wear chainmail bikinis and gay people just plain don't exist.

I guess that was the plan? Harken back mechanically to Munchkin: the Calculating to rope in the grognards, throw out the gross nerd poo poo to attract functional 21st century adults. And if that worked, maybe there's hope still that V5 crashes and burns because it fails to attract the latter demographic.

Wouldn't count on it tho.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Loomer posted:

As a UK-based LARPer I am seeing nothing but horror in the community at what nuWW are doing. And not the good sort of horror.

That said, I don't do Isles of Darkness/Camarilla UK/whatever. I might be missing something. On the other hand, I suspect that people doing WW-derived LARPs are the minority in the LARP community these days, since the community's largely moved on to newer pastures.

I suspect the LARP sales will be nowhere near what they are hoping it'll be. If I had to guess why they're gambling so much on it, I suspect that Ericsson is making the classic mistake of assuming that the wider LARP community broadly has the tastes of his own little bubble. (Admittedly, I might be making that mistake too... but I am aware that I am in a bubble. I don't know that he's aware that he is in one.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I mean, if I wasn't following this tread Vampire 5 by Ken Hite would be a no brainer, day one purchase. Now I am going to wait and see.

If I want classic Vampire I already own V20, so it is going to have to impress me.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
So, sorry to burst in here, but I have foolishly decided to try to run Demon as a Choose Your Own Adventure game. Please feel free to vote or follow along with this trainwreck here.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Ah, that all makes sense. I can definitely see the point of the PoD coupon now, even if I’m not likely to use one myself other than the “give to a friend” option. As things stand I have a couple weeks to decide if my “don’t give nuWW any money, even via OPP” rule is strong enough to withstand this Kickstarter. Æon/Trinity is extremely my poo poo, to the point that I have the original LEs and pins and dice sets and everything. :( Even had the PDF-only books printed out and in binders way back in the day so they could go on the shelf with the other books and get referenced in-game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NinjaPete posted:

So, sorry to burst in here, but I have foolishly decided to try to run Demon as a Choose Your Own Adventure game. Please feel free to vote or follow along with this trainwreck here.

i will never understand this forum's obsession with play-by-post

i mean more power to those of you who enjoy it but every time i see a game i'd like to play i get excited and then i see the format and it's like "... oh."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

AmiYumi posted:

Ah, that all makes sense. I can definitely see the point of the PoD coupon now, even if I’m not likely to use one myself other than the “give to a friend” option. As things stand I have a couple weeks to decide if my “don’t give nuWW any money, even via OPP” rule is strong enough to withstand this Kickstarter. Æon/Trinity is extremely my poo poo, to the point that I have the original LEs and pins and dice sets and everything. :( Even had the PDF-only books printed out and in binders way back in the day so they could go on the shelf with the other books and get referenced in-game.

You won't be giving NuWW any money if you back this, because unlike ChronD/WOD, OPP owns it outright instead of licenses it from them.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i will never understand this forum's obsession with play-by-post

i mean more power to those of you who enjoy it but every time i see a game i'd like to play i get excited and then i see the format and it's like "... oh."

Scheduling live games is a nightmare, especially across time zones. Plus it's usually easier to maintain the kind of somber tone a Serious world of darkness game calls for in writing than in person. Personally I'd be all over it for that reason alone if I didn't know from experience that I tend to just slowly drift away without a regular schedule.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

unseenlibrarian posted:

You won't be giving NuWW any money if you back this, because unlike ChronD/WOD, OPP owns it outright instead of licenses it from them.

Yeah, Onyx Path was able to outright buy the Trinity universe from CCP before anything ever changed hands to Paradox, so nuWW has never laid a finger on Trinity. Buying Trinity Continuum has about as much relation to nuWW as buying Stellaris: the companies associate through other business deals but the product itself isn't one of those deals.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well then I am definitely backing when I get home. Thanks, y’all. :)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I Am Just a Box posted:

Yeah, Onyx Path was able to outright buy the Trinity universe from CCP before anything ever changed hands to Paradox, so nuWW has never laid a finger on Trinity. Buying Trinity Continuum has about as much relation to nuWW as buying Stellaris: the companies associate through other business deals but the product itself isn't one of those deals.

To add to that, Onyx Path also entirely owns Scion as well.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there's a reason the chronicles of darkness subforum on OPP's site is under the Trinity, Scion, and Pugmire ones

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The AEon kickstarter is a bit too expensive for me. Something like a 100 bucks to get a physical copy of AEon and Trinity, which is all I want.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

MonsieurChoc posted:

The AEon kickstarter is a bit too expensive for me. Something like a 100 bucks to get a physical copy of AEon and Trinity, which is all I want.

The corebook is going to be 200+ pages and Aeon is supposed to be 300+, and at $85 (plus shipping) that seems like a steal to me. I mean, I'd prefer something like ChroD's corebooks where you don't need a corebook and then expansion supplements just to have a complete game, but eh.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

http://theonyxpath.com/to-the-stars-and-back-to-the-ground-monday-meeting-notes/

quote:

Last, but in no way the least, I want to let you all know that Rollickin’ Rose Bailey has decided to leave Onyx Path to pursue some pretty great opportunities. I’m sad to lose her as a full-time part of our Onyx Path crew, as she has done so much to help build Onyx these last years all the while keeping an eagle-eye on the quality of our projects, but am happy that she is heading to new amazing adventures.

The sheer depth of her effect on our projects is staggering; everything from her original concepts for Demon, how she pushed forward the overall tone and quality of the 2nd Editions for Chronicles of Darkness, and her absolutely integral work supporting our other devs. I don’t think we would have been able to ramp up our EX3 schedule with our new devs without her providing attention and guidance.

We will definitely miss our Rose. (Even though we’ll all be working on Cavaliers of Mars with her still, and I have a small inkling that her writing will still appear in various Onyx Path books.)

But, fear not True Believers!

Dynamic Dixie Cochran has joined us as a full-time freelancer and will be working with our developers for the Chronicles of Darkness and Exalted 3rd game lines, as well as hiring and communicating with our editors. As an editor herself, she has more than a few ideas as to the care of these unsung heroes of publishing.

If you’ve visited our booth at just about any of the conventions we’ve gone to this past year, you’ve probably met the powerhouse that is Dixie. In fact, she probably convinced you to buy a book or three, as well.

One of the developers Dynamic Dixie will be working with is Meghan Fitzgerald, who is going to bring the Changeling: The Lost 2nd main book to fruition. We had already intended that Meghan would then develop the CtL2 line after helping out on the main book with Rose, so we’re just swapping around the focus on who does what. Both Dixie and Rose herself will be backing up Meghan as she finishes up the big book and rolls into the Stretch Goals.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

All these badass nicknames make me hope for a reprint of the pro wrestling-themed Aberrant supplement for the new edition.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Awwwww, Rose was the best part of OP. Wonder why she's switched to freelancing rather than fulltime.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Mors Rattus posted:

Awwwww, Rose was the best part of OP. Wonder why she's switched to freelancing rather than fulltime.

Perhaps distancing self from nuWW

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Twibbit posted:

Perhaps distancing self from nuWW
Yeah, getting a day job and working on your creator-owned pet project of an evening probably sounds greatly preferable to spreading your game developer time and creative energy over a stack of different lines, several of which have NuWW's dirty pawprints on them.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I'm not aware of any publicly made feelings about nuWW but she was co-developer for Vampire 20th and was a model for one of the vampire clan images. I don't think she's anti-Masquerade or anything.

nofather fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 6, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

nofather posted:

I'm not aware of any publicly made feelings about nuWW but she was co-developer for Vampire 20th and was a model for one of the vampire clan images. I don't think she's anti-Masquerade or anything.

The 20th anniversary editions are OPP projects and are a very different beast from swedracula's nuWW and its upcoming V5, which is more of a different Beast.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

The 20th anniversary editions are OPP projects and are a very different beast from swedracula's nuWW and its upcoming V5, which is more of a different Beast.

Not really anymore. It's true that NuWolf had no hand in the first parts of V20, since that was produced before Paradox bought the White Wolf imprint, NuWolf has made changes on several current 20th anniversary releases to bring them more in line with their ideas for the 5th edition lines.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Not really anymore. It's true that NuWolf had no hand in the first parts of V20, since that was produced before Paradox bought the White Wolf imprint, NuWolf has made changes on several current 20th anniversary releases to bring them more in line with their ideas for the 5th edition lines.

Oh, ew.

e: though frankly that's just further (anecdotal) evidence that "worked on V20" does not equate to "okay with nuwolf"

e2: what kind of changes, exactly?

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 6, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

Oh, ew.

e: though frankly that's just further (anecdotal) evidence that "worked on V20" does not equate to "okay with nuwolf"

e2: what kind of changes, exactly?

W20 Shattered Dreams had a really passive aggressive sidebar added by WWP that boiled down to "This book is non-canon since we didn't write it, but that's actually a good thing since it means you can say whatever you want!"

The new Black Hand book had some... changes... in it.

MachineIV posted:

The last V20 book I did, Black Hand, had some pretty significant edits from them. A few sections just whole cloth cut. And a few fundamental concepts they demanded I change. For example, they wanted no ambiguous statements that suggest vampires might have souls. Even a few in-character references, they said had to be changed because they didn’t want players confused into thinking vampires had souls. They said they wanted me to make it explicitly clear that vampires get souls when they achieve Golconda. They also said only vampires with souls could become wraiths. So, the few vampire wraiths in the Black Hand had to be explicitly made to have objectively achieved Golconda before death.

This might have been more realistic on the front end. But changing the book that fundamentally on the back end really hurt it.

Ironically, there were a couple of sections that I had essentially copy/pasted from the old book. Or, I guess paraphrased. Martin demanded I cut them because, as he said, “This is not Vampire. This is Harry Potter. Whoever wrote this doesn’t understand Vampire, and should go back and read the old books.” I’m fairly certain that’s the only time in my life I’ve ever done a literal spit take at work.

And Changing Ways, the most recent book for Werewolf turns the entire garou nation into reproduction obsessed transphobic anti-vaxxers.
  • Werewolves are against abortions and birth control (also "Garou sex is vigorous enough to overcome any physical contraceptive, and hormones don't work").
  • Werewolves are anti-vaxxers because all vaccines are of the wyrm.
  • Transgender Garou cannot transition without the assistance of incarnae. Any surgery will undo itself the minute you shapeshift (Even though you can spend willpower to keep scars), and your garou physiology is too powerful for HRT. The garou nation is also hideously transphobic because "We need more soldiers for the fight" so doing anything to yourself that renders you unable to conceive is seen as a sin against Gaia. Note: this includes all but the most ludicrously powerful incarnae, a lesser incarnae may be able to change your gender but render you sterile. The nation treats such individuals "Worse than Metis for not accepting their Gaia-given body."

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Werewolves are against abortions and birth control (also "Garou sex is vigorous enough to overcome any physical contraceptive, and hormones don't work").

To be fair that seems more like they don't use it because it doesn't work, rather than being against it.

quote:

Werewolves are anti-vaxxers because all vaccines are of the wyrm.

Someone actually posted this at some point around when W20 came out, and I recall that Rose shut the thread down (I believe the poster was accusing OPP of promoting an antivaxxer agenda), so I imagine she wouldn't jibe well with this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

nofather posted:

To be fair that seems more like they don't use it because it doesn't work, rather than being against it.

Well, there are methods that do work on Garou, and the nation is decidedly against them. And apparently all garou subconciously want their children so most of the time they'll frenzy during the abortion proceedings. Also apparently the womb in a pregnant Crinos Garou draws up into their ribcage to better protect the fetus in combat.

It's super :biotruths:-y.

e: Also it doesn't bring into focus the fact that kinfolk are still involved in the "new Garou" making process. It's just that apparently even in homid form a male garou thrusts hard enough to just split that hard rubber diaphragm right in two.

I don't have the book here but it's probably leading into 5th Edition werewolf where the Garou are basically in "Make new soldiers by any means necessary, even if it means we lose the ability to make new soldiers later, or make our current soldiers into depressed suicidal monsters."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 6, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Sad to see Rose go, she's been great. Hope everything works out well for her.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

There's a lot going on there, but the thing that stands out most to me is that he insulted something by comparing it to Harry Potter. Namedropping "thing for children" as an unqualified signifier of badness is the kind of thing you expect from an insecure fourteen-year-old trying to act cool, not as editorial from a professional creative in his thirties.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I imagine that Rose probably just got a better job in some other field. As no one is getting rich in the TRPG industry it is pretty easy to imagine jumping at a chance to work at something better.

I am sure the nuWW stuff being a hassle as one of the main Onyx Path people didn't hurt in deciding to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

And Changing Ways, the most recent book for Werewolf turns the entire garou nation into reproduction obsessed transphobic anti-vaxxers.
  • Werewolves are against abortions and birth control (also "Garou sex is vigorous enough to overcome any physical contraceptive, and hormones don't work").
  • Werewolves are anti-vaxxers because all vaccines are of the wyrm.
  • Transgender Garou cannot transition without the assistance of incarnae. Any surgery will undo itself the minute you shapeshift (Even though you can spend willpower to keep scars), and your garou physiology is too powerful for HRT. The garou nation is also hideously transphobic because "We need more soldiers for the fight" so doing anything to yourself that renders you unable to conceive is seen as a sin against Gaia. Note: this includes all but the most ludicrously powerful incarnae, a lesser incarnae may be able to change your gender but render you sterile. The nation treats such individuals "Worse than Metis for not accepting their Gaia-given body."

The Pentex Employee Indoctrination Handbook has a whole paragraph or two in the Magadon section about how vaccinations are evil and people who try to steer kids away from them and medicine are to be shutdown. It's an evil organization but the take away is that modern medicine is inherently evil.