Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

CommonShore posted:

Question and story time, tea goons.

This past summer I went to Taiwan - I posted about this in the thread above - and grabbed a modest haul of bulk teas from a Taiwanese tea shop. I repacked a bunch of it and gave it to friends and coworkers.

Among this haul was a smallish amount of something called "Oriental Beauty" - that's the name I have for it, as the employees in the shop spoke minimal English, and we communicated via written numerals and them pointing at signs on which I used Google camera translate for the most part. The salesman described it in broken English as "mix white and green tea... little worm - butterfly worm - it go on tea plant, and it nibble." I'll supply a picture if necessary, but it's smallish loose leaf pieces containing a mix of deep green, golden brown, and white flakes. It tastes light and earthy, in that it has a light black tea flavour with otherwise green tea characteristics and few tannin notes.

Anyway my coworker loves this Oriental Beauty tea and she's trying to figure out how to get more, but I can't find anything that has that name which looks remotely like it.

Anyone able to help me find some more of something like this?

Sounds like it could be a Gui Fei or Dongfang Meiren/Baihao, both of which are styles of insect nibbled oolongs, and both of which are worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I get a boatload of results when I search for "oriental beauty oolong." Do none of those seem like what you had?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Try Floating Leaves or Teamasters. I think the current Teamasters one is a roasted, more traditional version though. I have not tried either current version but have been happy with previous ones from both. I also highly rate Teamasters in general for quality but maybe not price performance.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thoht posted:

I get a boatload of results when I search for "oriental beauty oolong." Do none of those seem like what you had?

I didn't think to look on Google, for some reason - I was browsing teavivire. I'll take a picture later, but I'm starting to think that Dongfang Meiren is the stuff I want.

The reason I thought Teavivre was dead was because of the thanks, Starbucks! posts above.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There's a lot of oriental beauty tea available at Taiwan tea crafts website. And it's direct from Taiwan to boot!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CommonShore posted:

The reason I thought Teavivre was dead was because of the thanks, Starbucks! posts above.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Exactly.

CommonShore posted:

I didn't think to look on Google, for some reason - I was browsing teavivire. I'll take a picture later, but I'm starting to think that Dongfang Meiren is the stuff I want.

Teavana is dead. It's the brick and mortar store that used to be in malls before Starbucks bought them and also put them into their coffee shops. They then left them to rot. It's not really much of a loss. Their tea wasn't anything special and it was full of blends.

Teavivre is a tea company in China that specializes in Chinese teas. There's another one called Teabox that does Indian teas primarily. Putting tea in your name tells people what you do, but it certainly doesn't help keep them straight.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm looking for a travel tea infuser for valentine's day. What's the best one around, goons?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I'm looking for a travel tea infuser for valentine's day. What's the best one around, goons?

Search something like a travel gongfu set. They make plenty of cute ones.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kamjove has some really good ones.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jhet posted:

^ Exactly.

Teavana is dead. It's the brick and mortar store that used to be in malls before Starbucks bought them and also put them into their coffee shops. They then left them to rot. It's not really much of a loss. Their tea wasn't anything special and it was full of blends.

Teavivre is a tea company in China that specializes in Chinese teas. There's another one called Teabox that does Indian teas primarily. Putting tea in your name tells people what you do, but it certainly doesn't help keep them straight.

ok got it. I skimmed a page or two of posts and must have misread.

e. Wasn't it called Teaopia and then renamed when Starbucks bought it?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

The Grosche Montreal is popular around here if you're in Canada:
https://grosche.ca/product/montreal-travel-tea-tumbler/

No idea how it stacks up against the other stuff mentioned, I don't use em, I just see people buy em

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CommonShore posted:

ok got it. I skimmed a page or two of posts and must have misread.

e. Wasn't it called Teaopia and then renamed when Starbucks bought it?

Teavana acquired Teaopia, then was acquired later by Starbucks all in the same year. Teavana originated as a boutique teahouse in Atlanta, Georgia before it expanded.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I recently bought an electric kettle and an infuser as well as some twinings earl grey loose leaf from the grocery store. Before this I was drinking newman's own black tea bags.

I'd like to try more tea's however there isn't really any loose leafs near me. Would it be a good idea to get one of the variety packs from one of the sites in the op or should I avoid those and just pick a few different kinds to start with?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I liked the black tea samplers that upton tea has. Even after a few years their Richmond british blend is my go too black tea.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Harminoff posted:

I recently bought an electric kettle and an infuser as well as some twinings earl grey loose leaf from the grocery store. Before this I was drinking newman's own black tea bags.

I'd like to try more tea's however there isn't really any loose leafs near me. Would it be a good idea to get one of the variety packs from one of the sites in the op or should I avoid those and just pick a few different kinds to start with?

You can always start with what you know you like (i.e Earl Grey), and order from one of the sites in the OP. Places like Adagio often include samples of what they'd imagine you'd like based on what you're ordering! That was how I discovered that I really like their raspberry black tea.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It turns out that drinking hot tea regularly increases the cancer risk in people who also smoke and drink alcohol regularly. Just drinking hot tea by itself doesn't increase the risk.

Of course, articles about the research mostly use clickbait titles about tea increasing cancer risks.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

RandomPauI posted:

It turns out that drinking hot tea regularly increases the cancer risk in people who also smoke and drink alcohol regularly. Just drinking hot tea by itself doesn't increase the risk.

Of course, articles about the research mostly use clickbait titles about tea increasing cancer risks.

Where did you read this? I’ve read that drinking scalding hot tea can increase the risk of mouth/throat cancer, but it’s from the heat, not from the actual tea itself.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Gee, that's a lot of correlation in one sentence. Clickbait needs to just go full throttle and say something like "Breathing increases your risk of cancer, read the rest here". I'm guessing there was one study done somewhere and whatever outlet is repeating it didn't read past the abstract.

Drink more tea, because if you're drinking tea, you're not drinking something else?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah these studies go back and forth all the time. I feel like I hear reports of alcohol and coffee being good for you one week, bad the next.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Yeah these studies go back and forth all the time. I feel like I hear reports of alcohol and coffee being good for you one week, bad the next.

Probably best to remember that with all these things that there are so very many variables involved. Moderation will get your further than listening to pop-science.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It does make me wonder what would be a genuine "OK, you're probably drinking too much tea" threshold.

Going by caffeine alone, the max daily recommendation (~400mg) would be... 10-ish cups of black tea per day? I think at that level my bladder would give me some early indications to knock it off.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the top hits are using less misleading titles now

'Hot Tea Linked to Esophageal Cancer risk in Smokers, Drinkers"
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/05/health/hot-tea-esophageal-cancer-risk-study/index.html

I really don't think this is a thing that researchers will go back and forth on.

TLDR:

Alcohol and smoking damage the throat.

Chronic use of either damages the throat badly enough to increase the throat cancer risk.

A study tracked half a million people for nearly a decade to see if hot tea also increased the throat cancer risk.

The hot tea does damage throats but it turns out the body can usually shrug it off. (Like, say, paper cuts or normal doses of tylanal.)

Hot tea did increase the throat cancer risk for people who also damaged their throats with alcohol and smoking.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Seems like they’re more interested in the temperature of the liquid rather than it being tea. That makes plenty of sense.

I can’t imagine drinking that definition of hot either. Without measuring, I’d expect my tea is mostly drank at what they’d call warm I think. Burning my mouth is not good tea drinking in my book.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The heat is probably the main factor, but I'd imagine there aren't many people out there just drinking hot unflavored water.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I know a few.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RandomPauI posted:

The heat is probably the main factor, but I'd imagine there aren't many people out there just drinking hot unflavored water.

I know a lot of Chinese people who do.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

kirtar posted:

I know a lot of Chinese people who do.

If you spend long enough in a country with untrustworthy tap water, it never leaves you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

It does make me wonder what would be a genuine "OK, you're probably drinking too much tea" threshold.

Going by caffeine alone, the max daily recommendation (~400mg) would be... 10-ish cups of black tea per day? I think at that level my bladder would give me some early indications to knock it off.

I pretty much drink iced tea in place of water and there are probably days where I easily hit the "too much tea" threshold.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I skimmed through the last half-dozen pages and didn’t see a lot about Indian teas. To my knowledge, I’ve never actually had a fancy tea that claimed to be from China (no idea where Z-grade bagged teas are actually grown).

Anyone else try Vahdam Teas or one of its equivalents? It’s a small company that buys teas directly from tea estates and processes it themselves (apparently most tea is normally bought from middlemen). The idea is that you get fresher & cheaper tea this way. There’s a couple more companies like Vahdam but I don’t know their name off the top of my head.

I haven’t gotten anything from them that I’ve disliked, other than the super-spiced chai stuff in a sampler that I’m not a fan of anyway.

I found out the hard way that a real Darjeeling tastes absolutely nothing like the fairly generic stuff that Twinings and equivalents sell. I’m still getting used to that taste; can’t say I’m entirely enamored with it yet (sort of a soapy-grassy thing?). I bought a Darjeeling sampler and the variety of flavors was pretty crazy.

I’m also working through an Assam sampler but I can’t really tell most of them apart. :shrug: I would probably have more luck with that if I drank different ones back-to-back, but the differences are too subtle to remember across multiple days. I don’t really care for those little grainy varieties (CTC?) - are those mainly intended to be mixed with milk? They seem a bit intense to drink straight (and yes, I do steep them less).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

david_a posted:

I skimmed through the last half-dozen pages and didn’t see a lot about Indian teas. To my knowledge, I’ve never actually had a fancy tea that claimed to be from China (no idea where Z-grade bagged teas are actually grown).

Anyone else try Vahdam Teas or one of its equivalents? It’s a small company that buys teas directly from tea estates and processes it themselves (apparently most tea is normally bought from middlemen). The idea is that you get fresher & cheaper tea this way. There’s a couple more companies like Vahdam but I don’t know their name off the top of my head.

I haven’t gotten anything from them that I’ve disliked, other than the super-spiced chai stuff in a sampler that I’m not a fan of anyway.

I found out the hard way that a real Darjeeling tastes absolutely nothing like the fairly generic stuff that Twinings and equivalents sell. I’m still getting used to that taste; can’t say I’m entirely enamored with it yet (sort of a soapy-grassy thing?). I bought a Darjeeling sampler and the variety of flavors was pretty crazy.

I’m also working through an Assam sampler but I can’t really tell most of them apart. :shrug: I would probably have more luck with that if I drank different ones back-to-back, but the differences are too subtle to remember across multiple days. I don’t really care for those little grainy varieties (CTC?) - are those mainly intended to be mixed with milk? They seem a bit intense to drink straight (and yes, I do steep them less).

I've found that I need to wash most Darjeelings prior to steeping and that takes care of that chemically-soapy taste. So make extra water, then rinse the leaves with the hot water for 15-20 seconds then discard. The astringency doesn't disappear, and the flavor of the finished tea seems to get better. You can also get Indian tea from Teabox.com which has similarly priced teas. I have ordered from them and had good success in shipping.

The tea was what I was expecting, but nothing amazing. It seems to be nothing special unless I find a really good autumnal or first flush. I find that with Assam and other strong black teas I notice fewer large differences, but there are still many. A lot of assam are good to take milk, or to be used for chai.

Anyway, try lots of things and figure out what you like. There's not a wrong tea to like*, so try everything and mess around with times and ratios until you find something you really enjoy.

Edit: I got a Teabox coupon code for 2 for 1 on their sale teas. TB2FOR1

*There are wrong ways to make tea. Don't boil the crap out of black tea bags and then call it tea when you add 2 cups of sugar. That's flavored sugar water. There are better ways to make iced tea.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 22, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah I saw the previous discussions about “washing” teas and it’s something I would never have considered doing. I’ll definitely try that next time I have some Darjeeling.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'll have to try washing black tea, these days I am 100% gong fu with green teas. Especially with the gyokuro I get, the second steep of gong fu is by far the best.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Trying an oolong I got from verdant tea this morning; second steeping gives me buttery tones, reminiscent of an assam I had last month. Got a gaiwan in my order too so I'm a bit eager to try a different brewing style.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has anyone tried ordering from Teavivre from Southeast Asia? I want to know if it's a good experience.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Has anyone tried ordering from Teavivre from Southeast Asia? I want to know if it's a good experience.

Multiple times. Good tea, the only problem can be waiting for shipping if you’re impatient.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Teavivre is the poo poo. Not as good as the ultra specialized vendors but a great all-around chinese teas.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Thirding that. Teavivre has a very nice selection and quality of teas, shipping is long as can kinda be expected, I got a bunch of Pu'Erh sampler packs from them and the free samples they included were two other pu'erhs that I didn't order, so that was nice :3:

Be aware that your bank/credit card might quirk an eyebrow at you when suddenly you have a ($money) charge order from Hong Kong show up.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I still haven't tried everything I got from Teavivre last year, but one standout is the regular grade Dong Ding: https://www.teavivre.com/dong-ding-oolong-tea.html

The quality of this particular harvest is right up there with much more expensive oolongs I've had in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saiphae
Feb 11, 2018
I haven't seen this tea mentioned in the last couple of pages, but for those who like Oolong tea, I'm finding Tieguanyin or Iron Goddess of Mercy oolong to be really good. I can't remember the brand name of what I have sitting at home right now, but our local Kaldi's Coffee shop has this by the pot if you're out looking for a hot cup of tea, and they are also where I bought my current pack of loose leaf Iron Goddess.