Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I appreciate the notice on GaugePowered, seems like I can't update my library from Steam but it still has the bulk of my overgrown library, so I've been going through doing what I can before a last minute export. So far what's really surprised me is how little I've paid for some games I really loved and how much I spent on stuff I never touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I believe in you!

Some random tips that may or may not help you:

1. Figure out if you are still having fun with any 'filler' games that you play instead of starting your backlog. For me, this was Overwatch. I would play it because it was brainless like my teammates and also a bit social. For some it's a roguelike like Binding of Isaac or Crypt of the Necrodancer. If you still have fun with them, rock on. Video games are supposed to be fun, not necessarily completed. If you aren't really having fun with your filler, try to pick something from your list instead!

2. Use How Long To Beat and pick a short game to start off with. I found that beating games was both satisfying and addictive. Once I beat a short game, I moved onto a longer game, and tried to alternate.

3. Stream it to twitch, and archive all of your broadcasts. Share the stream with both your IRL and internet buds. Most of the time you won't get any viewers, but sometimes you will and playing with friends is usually better than rocking solo. Also, having evidence of you starting a game on the internet may help convince you to finish said game.

4. Despite the last sentence above, if you aren't feeling a game, put it down. Again, video games are supposed to be fun and leisurely. If you aren't having fun, move on. Life is too short for mediocre games.

Ignore any of that if Quest for Glory II speaks to the contrary because that dude plows through video games at an unreal pace.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I found a good method is simply to pick a game completely at random and do your damnedest to beat it. Sometimes it's a miserable trek and you give up after half an hour, sometimes you find an amazing game you would never have chosen to play.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been slowly going through my games folder and giving each game about 30 minutes of time, no more than an hour. I find I give up after 5 because it's bundle trash but maybe 1 out of 20 I'll sock away into the "backlog" folder to come back to.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Got a response from one of the guys who made GaugePowered. They said they are planning to shut it down and release the code publicly, so anyone who wants to build on it can.

Edit:

Here's a link to the source code, if anyone is interested:

Source Code for Gauge Powered

I'll start playing around with it myself.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 1, 2018

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Quake 4 has been beaten. A decent enough mindless shooter where you can carry more than two guns at once! Not going to blow anyone's mind in 2018, but if you've got it in your backlog, you could spend 8 hours doing worse things with your life. Onto Tomb Raider: Underworld.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
Beaten: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Pretty much what you'd expect from The Chinese Room making an Amnesia sequel. I liked Dear Esther and Amnesia a lot and while this was obviously never going to be as good an Amnesia game as the original, it's sufficiently scary to warrant playing if that's your thing.

Beaten: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
I feel like I'm one of the last people who hadn't played this but it's very good.

I stupidly now find myself in the position of playing what feel like the 3 longest games on Steam concurrently (DiRT 3, Freecell Quest and Shadow Tactics). The problem is that none of them are bad (even though they feel like a slog sometimes due to my desire to clear my backlog), so I don't want to null them. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

This was quite a while ago, but I'm now several endings in, and for the benefit of anyone else starting it up --

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: NieR: Automata. All main endings. Overall a good game, but to my considerable surprise I am not the target audience. In fact, after checking GameFAQs after the fact, it turns out there were several near-disastrous cases where I came within inches of accidentally destroying hours of progress. (To the extent that this was thought through, it is clearly the case that the game expects you to regularly alternate between two saveslots.)

Fortunately this is not the case; if you trigger a "bad end" (like self-destructing in the bunker or eating the fish), it rolls credits and adds a marker to your most recent save file indicating that you've gotten that ending, but does not require you to start a new playthrough the way the "real" endings do -- when you load that save you'll be right back where you were, same as if you died in combat.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drguildo posted:

Beaten: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
I feel like I'm one of the last people who hadn't played this but it's very good.

I stupidly now find myself in the position of playing what feel like the 3 longest games on Steam concurrently (DiRT 3, Freecell Quest and Shadow Tactics). The problem is that none of them are bad (even though they feel like a slog sometimes due to my desire to clear my backlog), so I don't want to null them. :(

I have this game but I was wondering if this is game is co op or supposed to be better co op?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ulio posted:

I have this game but I was wondering if this is game is co op or supposed to be better co op?

It's designed to be played single player with you controlling two characters at once.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It's designed to be played single player with you controlling two characters at once.

Oh ok I thought it was co op because it is the same team which made A Way Out and they really are pushing the co op side of the game.

Also I am guessing this is easier to play with a controller than keyboard + mouse.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ulio posted:

Oh ok I thought it was co op because it is the same team which made A Way Out and they really are pushing the co op side of the game.

Also I am guessing this is easier to play with a controller than keyboard + mouse.

Yeah, they warn people on the store page.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
It’s an alright game which takes between 2 and 3 hrs to beat. Finished it earlier this year, actually.

No idea where I got it from, though. #Steam

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Grand Theft Auto V

Finally got around to playing this. On first release my PS3 was dying, then I didn't think my PC would do the game justice. Now that I've got a new graphics card I went for it and gently caress me this game is incredible. The map is just mindbogglingly beautiful and complex, with everything from beautiful sunsets right down to trash in an alley looking artfully placed. Plus the driving is incredibly fun (I never got tired of drifting through traffic and around corners), the shooting is totally competent and the mission design is light years beyond the rest of the series. It feels like every five minutes the campaign gets you to do new and exciting things like crash a plane into another plane, or mountain bike off a cliff, or play a chilled out round of golf.

But I kinda knew all that going in. The other thing I knew is that the story and characters are heavily criticised (especially here). Now, sure the game is a bit too fuzzy on what it's trying to say about American capitalism and crime: for the game to criticise materialism while dangling fast cars, platinum guns and expensive suits as aims doesn't work (plus it's a multimillion dollar mainstream media project). But I think the broad thrust of wealth being built on a bedrock of violence and intimidation is actually pretty bang on, as are the ways the game shows people insulating themselves against the consequences of their actions.

Even if you don't buy that I thought Michael, Trevor and Franklin were all complex, charismatic characters with great arcs. Sure they're all horrible monsters, but they fit into the world and make the more bonkers missions feel weirdly plausible. They're a cut above Niko Bellic at any rate. Anyway, I enjoyed pretty much every minute of the 40 hours it took me to complete the campaign. Best GTA yet and everyone was right that this was a landmark in gaming. Can't believe I waited nearly 5 years to play it.

BEATEN: Husk

Basically a first-person indie ripoff of Silent Hill 2, but crap. It has a couple of moments of decent atmosphere at the beginning, but then you meet the badly animated, faintly comical and easy to avoid monsters and almost all the fear evaporates. It's just 4 hours long, but probably would have benefited being cut down to half that with the enemies removed and turned into a walking simulator. Terrible voice acting, overuse of pre-made assets (there is a hospital level with the exact same vending machine in about 50 locations) and a nonsensical/predictable plot pretty much sink it.

BEATEN: Fairy Bloom Freesia

I have a limited tolerance for anime bullshit, so I was wary of this from the start. Now, is full of generic cutesy crap and vaguely pedophilic supporting characters who lust after preteen girls BUT there's a really fun 2D brawler in here. It's kind of a cross between Smash Bros and Viewtiful Joe - you're in arenas fighting back waves of enemies. Though it's clearly a budget title (there are, like, four different enemies that get recolored) there's a decent amount of depth to the fighting. I had fun with it, though if it had gone on longer than 3 hours I would probably have cut and run.

BEATEN: The Fall

Science fiction point and click adventure that's interesting but flawed. You play a robotic suit trying to preserve the injured and unconscious pilot inside. It's got a neat atmosphere to it and the writing is decent. However, some of the puzzles are a bit illogical and obscure and I never really got on with the control system. It's promising stuff though - I think there's a sequel out soon so I'll keep an eye on it. Hope they've fixed some of the rough design.

edit: the sequel actually comes out today!

BEATEN: Steamworld Dig

Fun robot mining game with a neat gameplay loop: burrow into the earth, find minerals, upgrade your robot, burrow deeper. Reminded me of a simplified Terraria. Controls beautifully, is full of smart platform design and has great animation. Probably not essential, but you could do far worse with a vague freeform platformer.

BEATEN: Eradicator

Ultra obscure flop FPS from 1996. I'd never heard of this before Steam Randomiser chucked it up (and I don't know where I got it from), but it's actually pretty fun once you get over the dated design and faux-BUILD engine. Came out roughly the same time as Quake, so a 2.5D game suddenly looked very dated, but there's a lot of little neat things: it does real-time picture-in-picture, you can take control of enemies and fly them around, there's a workable third person view, it has 16 weapons (including remote control missiles and pilotable spider-bombs) and a choice fo three player characters. After having cleared it I think it's kind of a hidden gem.

NULLED: Okhlos: Omega

Frustrating little game in which you take control of an ancient Greek philosopher, assemble a rioting mob and take down the Greek gods. It's a cool concept and the game looks and sounds great. Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to tell what's going on: the screen gets ridiculously busy and I never really felt like I was totally in control. It reminded me a bit of a less focused Wonderful 101 (which I didn't really get on with either). Made it partway through the game, and acombination of procedurally generated levels and confusion made it feel random whether I was winning or not. Shame, because I really like the aesthetic.

NULLED: Spintires

Hyperfocused Russian-made mud simulator. Brilliant physics and terrain deformation, not much of an actual game. There's a great tactile element to the various types of mud and how the vehicles deal with it, as well as a really detailed control system for each vehicle. Does a great job of capturing a kind of industrial ennui of being pitted against an unfriendly environment. That's all great, but fulfilling the games goals of shifting lumber around the map isn't much fun. I got a few loads through and explored the maps, but actually 'beating' the game didn't seem particularly worthwhile.

NULLED: Company of Heroes 2

Tactical WW2 real-time squad simulator that simply isn't my kinda thing. I gave it a few levels, but I wasn't getting much out of it. Plus you have to control the camera with the arrow keys and can't remap to WASD, which meant that I was getting a cramp in my shoulder from playing on a laptop.

NULLED: Risen

Dreary mid-2000s Eurojank RPG that immediately puts you in a grey swamp full of bug enemies. I hate that poo poo. Also there's no quest markers or directions, so I was wandering around aimlessly dealing with the crappy combat until I gave up. Reading some reviews suggests I was right to.

NULLED: Abyss Raiders: Uncharted

Pre-made asset stuffed tower defence thing from China that controls terribly, is repetitive as hell and has no disernable personality of its own. Probably a vehicle for a hidden crypto miner.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 13, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

NULLED: Risen

Dreary mid-2000s Eurojank RPG that immediately puts you in a grey swamp full of bug enemies. I hate that poo poo. Also there's no quest markers or directions, so I was wandering around aimlessly dealing with the crappy combat until I gave up. Reading some reviews suggests I was right to.

My understanding is that the gameplay is pretty bad in every Piranhabytes games but they have lots of good RPG elements and world building. If core gameplay is the most important thing for you then their games won't do anything.

Also I agree GTA5 is an incredible game. The story missions aren't as memorable as some of the past GTA's but not GTA4 levels of unmemorable. The atmosphere of the game is a lot more comedic too compared to 4 which was a bit too somber. I loved the side missions they added ala Red Dead where you follow really eccentric whacky characters and see where they end up in their quest(Weed guy, old british couple).

Whenever I play a GTA or Rockstar game I expect great characters and fun open world. This game has both of that imo so it is probably among my favorite GTA's.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ulio posted:

My understanding is that the gameplay is pretty bad in every Piranhabytes games but they have lots of good RPG elements and world building. If core gameplay is the most important thing for you then their games won't do anything.

I've heard that about them, and Elex sounds interesting enough, but after reading up on Risen the consensus seems to be "Okay, the first 10 hours are boring, then it gets good for a bit, then the last 5 hours are dreadful". I've just got better things to do than spend hours whacking mosquito monsters in a grey videogame swamp for the hundredth time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Hm, I just played half an hour of Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior, which is the standalone level you get as a freebie if you have the first Shadow Warrior. Can I call this beaten if I punched out after making a giant mess of bloodied footprints and made out with whatever money I collected? It is a bit of a sandbox, after all. I did get an 'ending', that is to say, a performance report. I got -101% and my company was liquidated because of my theft and bad performance. :shrug: I found this unbelievably boring and tedious. I reckon it's supposed to be some kind of zen-like experience but man, it did not work for me at all.

edit: Thinking about it more, it's the physics that killed it for me. Picking up things and carrying or dropping them just didn't feel good to me, and undoing your work in the process just frustrated. I could maybe get into a cleaning game if it executed the idea in the complete opposite manner to VCD. This one just wasn't for me I guess. Physics-based games almost never are.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 18, 2018

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Glare Seethe posted:

Hm, I just played half an hour of Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior

I’ve 100% completed this, the Christmas one, and half the full game levels. It’s more of a “watch Netflix/Twitch while playing this”, at least for me.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
I finally beat:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
It is a very good game, just like everyone says, but it has two fairly big flaws: difficulty and load times. I don't mind the challenge but when a level takes 2 to 3 hours to complete it had better be good enough to prevent me from getting fatigued with it and sometimes I felt the game failed in that regard. The initial level load times were pretty bad (1-2 minutes on a good SSD) but at least they were a one-time thing. Quick loads took 5-10 seconds which doesn't sound long at all except for the fact that the difficulty of the game means you're going to be savescumming like crazy at which point it becomes annoying. Besides that the game is deserving of all the praise it's received.

DiRT 3

It's a testament to how fun the Rally and Trailblazer events are that I kept playing for the 25 hours that this lasted (although some of that time was taken up by non-essential events) despite events like Landrush and Gymkhana not being much fun. Head 2 Head was a bit meh but Rallycross was good. I'd still like to know what the reasoning was behind having so many non-rally events in a rally game was. But then I suppose people try and cram poo poo that doesn't work into games all the time; it's nothing new.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: Awakening: The Sunhook Spire
Apparently the first of the Awakening series of HOGs. It was pretty meh.

Finished: Azada: Elementa
Another HOG.

Nulled: BUTTS
VR only :butt:

Finished: Call of Duty: Black Ops II
It's CoD, so you know it's a lovely story, bad gameplay and awful mechanics.
In several of the levels, I just sprinted past the enemies to make sure respawns ended, then went back and cleaned up.
Most the the cut scenes, you are able to skip, but sadly some of them are forced, and they are painful to watch.

Nulled: Cook, Serve, Delicious 2
I really liked the first one, but this one I just couldn't get into. Loved the graphics style, but it just felt too busy with all the pre-loading of dishes, complicated dishes right off the bat etc.
The first one kind of eased you into it, but it looks like the developer expected you to go straight from #1 to #2 and start working that kitchen.
Or I've just gotten older and can't handle the stress anymore...

Finished: Geostorm
This was a fun little turn based puzzler. I'm guessing it's like Hitman/Tomb Rairder GO (haven't played them yet), but from the videos the kinda look the same.¨
The movie was bad, and the game is definitely a mobile game tie-in, but especially the first area (of 4) was really fun to play.

Finished: Mystery Expedition: Prisoners of Ice
Eastern European HOG with some really, really bad FMV-like sequences.

Nulled: Serial Cleaner
I initially really enjoyed Serial Cleaner, but I guess I didn't have the patience for it when it started to become a bit more challenging.
Still, if you like the style of Hotline Miami or Party Hard, but want to try a slow stealth version, where you can't hurt anyone, give it a go.

Finished: Tom Clancy's The Divison
Finished the final main mission, got my character to level 30 and fully upgraded the base. Played it in coop with Kragger all the way through, and we had a lot of fun, as soon as we started to get some good weapons.
But as he also said after finished the final mission when we talked about what's left of the game: "It's either grinding through super hard side missions or go PVP, and I don't care for neither".
The game is absolutely beautiful, and it's pretty cool that the Dark Zone exist for people who are hooked, but I'm glad I can uninstall it from my SSD, so I can start plan a fresh Windows 10 installation.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - We Were Here, Too: This is a fun co-op puzzle game. If you have a friend to play it with, I highly recommend checking it out. The first one is free, so you can get a taste of what it's like. The sequel tightens up the gameplay (in my opinion).

Partially Beat - The Disney Afternoon Collection: I have beaten the main games and boss rush modes of 5 of the 6 games inside this collection. I just have Talespin left, which I'm not sure I'll actually do. I remember the game not being great. All the rest though have been fun nostalgia romps, and I really like the rewind feature. With it, every game can definitely be beaten in under an hour.

Nulled - World of Warcraft: The group I game with on Tues. nights gave up on Heroes of the Storm and decided to try out WoW. We played up to the free level cap and then paid for one month on top of that. We beat a couple dungeons (raids?), and it was pretty fun. I can totally see how people got addicted to the game, but the mid-2000's gameplay was pretty evident to me. It certainly did not get its hooks into me. We moved onto Warframe.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Partially Beat - The Disney Afternoon Collection: I have beaten the main games and boss rush modes of 5 of the 6 games inside this collection. I just have Talespin left, which I'm not sure I'll actually do. I remember the game not being great. All the rest though have been fun nostalgia romps, and I really like the rewind feature. With it, every game can definitely be beaten in under an hour.

TaleSpin is if anything even worse than you remember it being. I went in blind and I was impressed at several new and exciting ways they had invented to be terrible.

POKED AT: Invisible, Inc. This looks amazing and it also looks like something I dare not play unless I can afford to be really tense for an extended period.

COMPLETED: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Finally. I kept bouncing off this, but I stuck to it because generally Ace Attorney games don't click for me until about halfway through. This time it was more like 3/4 of the way through, but once the rocket engines lit, they stayed lit.

IN PROGRESS: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Filling in the gaps in my Zelda experience. It's all right so far.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Finished: Tom Clancy's The Divison
Finished the final main mission, got my character to level 30 and fully upgraded the base. Played it in coop with Kragger all the way through, and we had a lot of fun, as soon as we started to get some good weapons.
But as he also said after finished the final mission when we talked about what's left of the game: "It's either grinding through super hard side missions or go PVP, and I don't care for neither".
The game is absolutely beautiful, and it's pretty cool that the Dark Zone exist for people who are hooked, but I'm glad I can uninstall it from my SSD, so I can start plan a fresh Windows 10 installation.

Can you play this solo? I don't mind grouping with people but I don't have many friends who play these sort of games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

Can you play this solo? I don't mind grouping with people but I don't have many friends who play these sort of games.

There's a couple of missions that are noticeably harder than others where you might wish you had some help, but the game is overall very solo-friendly.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yeah it should be possible to play solo.
I noticed that whenever I logged on and played a bit solo, it scaled the amount of enemies, compared to when Kragger and I played. Especially the side missions and random encounters.
I didn't notice if enemies were less bulletsponges. Named enemies which I met a few times when solo, were still a gigantic bitch to take down.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I made it through the frozen hellscape of February, but didn't play as many games as January. That's okay though, on we go:

#15: ICEY (3-4 hours) - Devil May Cry sidescroller meets Stanley Parable. Not the greatest dub or localization, of a story that tries to be both wacky comedic but also have serious Cthulhu mythos.
#16: Skylar & Plux (2 hours) - A surprisingly decent Ratchet & Clank knockoff, whose main crime is being ridiculously short. Despite its generic characters that border on obnoxious, the level design is pretty impressive.
#17: The Room 4: Old Sins (5-6 hours) - Wonderful sequel in the Room series. It'll be done while I'm in bed playing it so I'm pre-emptively putting it in here.
#18: The Perils of Man (3-4 hours) - 3D point n click adventure with time travelling (but not to famous history, just in service of plot). It was not bad! A little jank, and some odd looking cutscenes.
#19: Black Sails: Ghost Ship (4-5 hours) - Point n click adventure that is interesting but ultimately average, with very conventional plot twists.
#20: Fire Emblem Heroes Book 1 (10~ hours) - I didn't have to spend a cent!
#21: Mega Man Battle Network 1 (12 hours) - Hoo boy, okay, the first half of the game is very enjoyable, but Escape being a chip rather than an always ability makes the second half of the game a chore. So many unnecessary battles with trash enemies!!
#22: Golf Story (10 hours) - Very enjoyable golf game... Dunno if I like this or Hot Shots Vita more, but this one I actually finished. Pretty easy, though, outside of a couple of side quests. Beat the final tournament by four strokes. Chipping is crazy good in this game.
#23: The Fidelio Incident (2 hours) - Very pretty walking simulator where you fight through the cold to save your wife. It plays up a couple of tropes that would lead to a typical twist, but then go a different direction. It's still not AMAZING but it at least didn't resort to the really predictable walking simulator plot reveals, and it's nice to look at.
#24: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (15 hours) - A quality followup to the self-titled, and seems to have a branching path with different missions based on who you follow. It doesn't do the "talk to the player as a tactician" thing, which is fine with me because I thought that was weird anyway (yeah I know Robin is basically the same thing in Awakening). I ultimately wish that the armories stocked better gear.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Demon's Souls

I've been putting this off for years but the servers shutting down at the end February lit a fire under my rear end to finally get through the game. I'd mentally filed it away as "prototype version of Dark Souls", but it's a fantastic game in its own right and even does some stuff better than the following games in the franchise do. Despite the lower graphical fidelity and chugging framerate (approaching PS2 levels in some environments) it's an unbelievably atmospheric and evocative game. Also, coming from Bloodborne to this turned out to be a great move. Most of the skills I learned transferred over, and the faster pace of BB meant that Demon's Souls' bosses felt like they were moving in slow motion. Was very satisfying to take down notoriously difficult bosses like Flamelurker on my first shot.

Got to finish it before the servers shut down and I think I got the full online experience. I helped out a co-op player, invaded and was invaded, got a 'real' Old Monk boss and was summoned to fight as him. This game really deserves better than to languish on PS3 with dead servers. It deserves a full remaster in the style of Shadow of the Colossus.

BEATEN: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

A hidden gem of a beat-em-up and way better than the crappy film its licensed from. Fighting as Wolverine is bloody and vicious, you spend most of the time hurling yourself around the arenas screaming in rage and impaling dudes. Has a super-cool healing mechanic where damage is represented by flesh being torn away, so after a seriously bloody fight you can end up with your metal skeleton poking through your flesh, before it heals up. It's not perfect - the combat is fun but repetitive and some encounters have a few too many waves of cannon fodder, and the oversize enemies have way too much health and can only be damaged one way. Also, the plot genuinely makes no sense and the closer it adapts the film the worse it gets. Still, it's in the top tier of superhero video games and licensed adaptations. Shame it's not on Steam anymore.

BEATEN: RiME

Wants to be a Team ICO game SO bad. On one hand great, those games rule and a chilled out couple of hours playing a well-animated young boy climbing around interesting architecture and solving environmental puzzles is hardly the worst thing around. But it ends up feeling like a cover version of a great song that imperceptibly fails to capture the spirit of the original. I didn't get any of the emotional connection I got to the various Team ICO games, mainly due to the fact that the latter third of the game is spent beating you around the head with a clumsy metaphor that doesn't really go anywhere. Not a bad game by any means but sorely in need of it's own identity rather than just suckin' Fumito Ueda's dick.

BEATEN: Shadow Warrior Classic Complete

It's a shame that this is turbo-racist because it's got some fantastic level design and great weapons in it. Played through the main campaign and the Twin Dragons and Wanton Destruction mission packs, and they're solid and ambitious BUILD era games with smartly laid out levels, cool touches like drivable vehicles and deformable levels (even if it is canned). Buuuuut it's real tough to get over the game being designed for edgy 13 year olds in 1997. Lo Wang is constantly yelling stuff in a Mickey Rooney-like accent about "OHHH ANCIENT CHINESE SECLET!" and "AH SO!. Particular low points are when he calls a rabbit "human being Rabbit! and the topless badly drawn anime girls in the levels. I blame George Broussard for all of this.

BEATEN: Bioshock 2 & Minerva's Den DLC

The idea that as Bioshock critiqued objectivism, therefore Bioshock 2 should go the other way and critique collectivism is real fuckin' dumb and feels like classic 'truth is in the middle' bullshit, especially with the nonsensical plot about an evil psychiatrist trying to create a genetic monstrosity to control society (somehow). Criticising collectivism doesn't even make sense in Rapture given that the whole drat situation is there to shine a light on how moronic libertarians are. Plus while the gameplay is basically okay, playing as a Big Daddy just adds up having a slightly stompier footstep noise and having to do inane tower defence sequences every so often. Having said all that, the bit where you play as a Little Sister is great.

On the flipside, Minerva's Den is exactly as great as everyone says it is. It's a well-written, character focused story with a great twist and much more interesting environments than the main game. The main game feels under pressure to make a *big political statement* and doesn't have the smarts to pull it off, while the events of Minerva's Den are smaller and more personal, but waaaaay more effective. If you haven't played Bioshock 2 my advice is to just skip the main game and go straight for this.

BEATEN: Dragon Age Inquisition: The Descent DLC

Generally considered the worst of DA:I's DLC, but I liked it way more than Jaws of Hakkon. It's a straightforward dungeon crawl through the Deep Roads, but manages to have a lot of visual variation as well as being nicely tricky. Plus one of the new characters is voiced by David Hayter doing the Solid Snake voice and you spend a lot of time hunting for literal metal gears. It's not much more than a diversion but at least it doesn't messily sprawl all over the place like DA:I often does.

BEATEN: Seinfeld - The Senpai

A Seinfeld visual novel that actually feels like playing through an (anime-tinged) episode of the series. All the characters' 'voices' are perfectly captured, and it's impressive how much they duplicate the dovetailing plots from the show. Short enough that it doesn't outstay its welcome and brightened up a dull afternoon.

BEATEN: Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Farewell

The bonus episode for Before the Storm in which we say a final goodbye to Arcadia Bay. Much shorter and smaller in scope than the full episodes, but no less touching for it. Can't wait to see what Don't Nod have cooked up for Life is Strange 2, though I hope it's completely disconnected from the events of LiS1 as it feels like all these stories have come to their natural conclusion.

NULLED: Street Fighter Alpha 3

This game drives me up the loving wall. On paper it's possibly the best 2D Street Fighter. Huge amount of characters, packed full of play modes, character styles and has more story than your typical Street Fighter game. But dragging ALL that down is that fighting the CPU is as much fun as punching yourself in the balls. Apparently the way it works is that even if you pick the easiest possible setting, it will increase one star in difficulty with every fight in Arcade Mode, so by the time you're on the Rival/Final fight they're max-difficulty input-reading combo-machine, block-everything nightmares. I spent a loving hour failing to beat Bison as Guile, and I'm an okayish Guile player. Now I know what you're thinking - playing the CPU is missing the point in a Street Fighter game. Well I'm in the hard place of my friends not being good enough so I beat them too easily (plus Alpha 3 is way too technical for a casual player with all its modes and Isms) and not good enough to exploit flaws in the CPU.

Also the general aesthetic, music and portrait art is a bit naff.

NULLED: Gourmet Battle Quiz Ryohrioh CooKing

My housemate is learning Japanese for work, so we've been playing this (to me) incomprehensible food-based quiz game from the 1990s. It's actually pretty fun in that you get to fight a Japanese Chef Pirate and Chef Samurai, but I generally have no idea what the gently caress is going at any point. Likeably bonkers though.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 12, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Those are some really good games. Bioshock 2 imo is worth playing for Minerva's Den. Some great level design and writing in that DLC.

Nice to see you got the online boss for the Old Monk in Demon Souls. It is probably one of my favorite games ever. Amazing level design, boss design and great soundtrack. What was your favorite world/level? Tower of Latria and the storm stage are really memorable ones for me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ulio posted:

Those are some really good games. Bioshock 2 imo is worth playing for Minerva's Den. Some great level design and writing in that DLC.

Nice to see you got the online boss for the Old Monk in Demon Souls. It is probably one of my favorite games ever. Amazing level design, boss design and great soundtrack. What was your favorite world/level? Tower of Latria and the storm stage are really memorable ones for me.

I knew going in that Latria was a highlight of the game and it lived up the billing. Sneaking around in that prison was intense and once you get out onto the surface the architecture of the place and that giant heart in the middle was pretty mindblowing. I also loved the Valley of Defilement, especially the second part. Trudging through a endless pitch-black poison swamp isn't exactly fun but I love the gruelling misery and lack of hope you feel, while knowing that you must head forwards because you can't turn back. Plus the Maiden Astraea boss fight at the end of the stage was amazing -and has an excellent soundtrack that reminded me of John Carpenter's Halloween theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

I really dug the Demon's Souls bosses in general. After BB, which was pretty much furious giant thing runs screaming at you, it was nice to get some more sedate bosses that you have to puzzle out how to beat. Fool's Idol, Dragon God and Old Hero (and of course, Old Monk) aren't exactly hard, but they're super interestingly designed. And of course, some are just :wtf: like Leechmonger and Adjudicator.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I knew going in that Latria was a highlight of the game and it lived up the billing. Sneaking around in that prison was intense and once you get out onto the surface the architecture of the place and that giant heart in the middle was pretty mindblowing. I also loved the Valley of Defilement, especially the second part. Trudging through a endless pitch-black poison swamp isn't exactly fun but I love the gruelling misery and lack of hope you feel, while knowing that you must head forwards because you can't turn back. Plus the Maiden Astraea boss fight at the end of the stage was amazing -and has an excellent soundtrack that reminded me of John Carpenter's Halloween theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

I really dug the Demon's Souls bosses in general. After BB, which was pretty much furious giant thing runs screaming at you, it was nice to get some more sedate bosses that you have to puzzle out how to beat. Fool's Idol, Dragon God and Old Hero (and of course, Old Monk) aren't exactly hard, but they're super interestingly designed. And of course, some are just :wtf: like Leechmonger and Adjudicator.

Oh man when I said the OST is great that is my favorite track from the whole game. Even though the boss fight wasn't hard it was so emotional and memorable because of how it goes down. It is hard to go back to Demon Souls after playing the newer installments because of how much slower it is but nice to see you were able to enjoy it so much.

I hope they bring it to PS4 eventually because it seems even a lot of "Souls" fans haven't played that one.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Do people mind mention the platform they play on if it's not a Steam game, you know, in the Steam Anonymous thread?

I was totally stoked when I saw that Seinfeld game, then realized it wasn't something that was available on Steam :(

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Do people mind mention the platform they play on if it's not a Steam game, you know, in the Steam Anonymous thread?

I was totally stoked when I saw that Seinfeld game, then realized it wasn't something that was available on Steam :(

I think if you're addicted to experimental "research chemicals" and go to narcotics anonymous, you won't be shown the door.

I'm certain I've seen console games in this thread before. Go wild, whatever gets you to burn through a backlog, we're here for you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm down for this. I'd participate in it but I don't play games on my consoles/handholds these days.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Uhm, I just meant, please add "PS4", "Xbox", "Switch", "DS" etc. when listing a game you have beaten/nulled :shobon:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fart of Presto posted:

If you do a quick google search it's a free to download game on the PC.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

The Seinfeld game is here: https://www.pntgrm.com

I manually add stuff like this to my Steam library and sometimes forget they're not native.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
^^ No problem :)

Nulled: Seinfeld - The Senpai
Everything started out great, and then the developer just had to make it into some anime teen school thing. Ugh.

Web version + downloads here: https://www.pntgrm.com/the-senpai/ (disable adblocker for web version)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - The Disney Afternoon Collection: I got around to playing Talespin, as it was the last game left. I beat the main game and the boss rush. It wasn't terrible, but if the rewind feature hadn't been available, I would've nulled it the first time I died.

Beat - Golf Story (Switch) - I'm not a huge fan of golf games, but this is a great golf game. The challenges aren't all just "play the course"; they throw some unique uses of golf to solve problems; and there's even a whodunit sub-game in there. The story is well-written and funny. And the graphics are solid pixel art. There are some jerky animations that happen every now-and-then, but it never bothered me. Overall, a fun little indie game with unique NPCs and locales that make it a solid twist on the classic golf game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yay, played some good games recently.

Finished: Assassin's Creed Origins + The Hidden Ones DLC + The Curse of the Pharaohs DLC
One of the best AssCreed games out there.
Beautiful environments, no collectathons like they used to do, good story and characters.
The DLCs are great as well, as they build upon the story: The Hidden Ones is a straight up "10 years later", and The Curse of the Pharaohs lets the designers have some fun with the myths surrounding the ancient gods. Both are set in new and large areas.

Finished: Dishonored 2
I had forgotten how much I love the art style of the Dishonored universe, and also how much I loved the original game and its DLC missions.
The setting has moved a bit south, where it's not so grim, cold and wet that I felt the first game tried to convey. Awesome and spooky locations, and it's worth reading as much lore in the form of news papers, notes etc. Sometimes you almost feel sorry for the people you have just "sent upstate".
I played it like I did the first one: Sneak around as much as possible, and if you get spotted, show what a mistake it was for them to be at work that day.
I ended up with High Chaos on every mission, because god drat there are some fun tools and powers to use.

Finished: LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
I had no idea what was going on, as I've never seen the cartoon it's based on. It was OK for a LEGO game, but I think the ones where you are stuck with a couple of characters that only have one special ability, are kind of boring, as it feels like you are missing out on grabbing a lot of stuff in the first playthrough.
While the jokes were fun and there were no issues in the game, I definitely prefer the ones where you gradually get more and more abilities, and can use them in a big hub world, like...

Finished: LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
I don't remember a lot of the scenes, as I've only seen the movies once, and found them confusing as hell. But the setting is the same as the first Harry Potter games, where the castle/school is almost an exact copy.
Getting new abilities in the main missions, and then run around unlocking stuff in the hub world is my kind of jam.

"Finished": Yankai's Triangle
It's a procedural generated puzzle game, where you have to do color matching of the sides of triangles. There are a few achievements for doing up to 243 levels, but I stopped at around level 50.
It's a fun little puzzler that's often on sale, so it's definitely worth checking it out if you are into those minimalistic puzzler things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also finally played some good games and from this list if I could recommend one game it would be the third one.

Finished Half life 2: It is hard to judge a 2004 game in 2018 but in a lot of ways it holds up. I can definitely see why it was such a big deal when it came out. Level design was so well done and diverse. The levels are all linear but they all introduce some kind of new enemy or hazard which makes you play in a different way. It's crazy how everything before Ravenholm feels like an action adventure movie but then it turns into a horror for a while. Ravenholm was my favorite level just because of the atmosphere. Gameplay is standard fps but the gravity gun is pretty unique.

Finished Persona 5: This one seemed like the best one to jump in as a newbie to the series. Really love the SMT/Persona system where you collect more powerful personas and mix-match personas to create invincible ones. Felt like pokemon on steroids. I normally don't like JRPG storylines but this was pretty good. Especially the first palace has some really good story telling and the ending is also pretty epic. Mid part is kinda meh and there are some months where there is no dungeons. I generally prefered the dungeon aspect over the social aspect but thats just me. I found the ost good but not really to my taste.

Finished Asura's Wrath: I just knew going into this game that it has a lot of qtes and has some cool moments. To be honest I don't know how to describe this game. It is like a fusion of Hindu/Budhist God of War, Legend of The Galactic Heroes and Dragon Ball Z. The first boss Wyzen is probably one of the most breathtaking boss fights in all of gaming. I hate qtes but this game's story and scenarios were so epic you could just ignore the subpar gameplay and the qtes. The story is pretty simple revenge story similar to God of War. I didn't play the DLC which continues the story but I was still impressed with the base game. The music also makes the epic moments even more bombastic.

Finished Ninja Gaiden Sigma: Never played this one despite Ninja Gaiden 2 being one of my favorite games ever. This is a bit slower compared to 2 but still enjoyable. You have to block a lot more in this, wherein in 2 you can roll dodge/jump a lot more. Gameplay/combat is great, if you are good with Ryu you can become a flying death machine. Izuna Drop and Flying swallow are probably two of my most favorite abilities in all of gaming. Some of the bosses in this game are gonna make you want to break your controller. Awakened Alma, Regular Alma, First Doku fight are some of the ones I remember the most. This game just stands on it's combat, platforming is kinda wonky at times, story is a mess and characters are literal one notes. But the combat is so good it makes it worth it. Hopefully there is a remaster collection some day.