Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

jadebullet posted:

So I'm trying to figure out my loadout for my Blightlord terminators.

I plan on running a 5 man squad with a claim of corruption. The plan is to drop them in close and use their combi weapons as fire support, and their melee threat as an area denial bubble.

Where I am torn is the heavy weapon option. Do I go with the Reaper autocannon, despite the more melee focus of the squad, or do I go with a plague spewer for the close range power but risk that the squad will be reduced to only 3 offensive members beyond a certain range?

Reapers garbage, best going with spewer especially if you going cc focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

I think the disconnect is that Perry and GW aren't direct competitors. Perry is much more boutique, while GW is going for an all- in- one game/ rules/ IP warehouse hobby presence.

From that perspective, GW figures are best at being "GW figures." That is, they do the intended job of being used in GW games better than anything else on the market. But they're a leg of the stool, not an open ended stand-alone product.

A better direct comparison would be against Mantic, FFG, Wyrd, Battlefront, or Warlord. And GW has definitely outperformed all of them so far.

FFG's Descent-universe wargames have been pretty unremarkable, but I'm very eager to see how their 32mm Star Wars game will be received. The hobby aspect isn't especially popular with FFGs usual customers, but they already have the Xwing base.

I hope that FFG changes materials with their new games. The PVC poo poo they use is a step above BONES, and most of your time is spent soaking them in hot water to try to straighten weapons.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How do the Blightlords work with ye olde termicide strategy that chaos used to do? I imagine loading them up with combi-plasma and deepstriking them and a chaos lord in terminator armor with his own plasma gun for the reroll bubble would melt just about anything, but that might just be my inexperience talking.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

I think the disconnect is that Perry and GW aren't direct competitors. Perry is much more boutique, while GW is going for an all- in- one game/ rules/ IP warehouse hobby presence.

From that perspective, GW figures are best at being "GW figures." That is, they do the intended job of being used in GW games better than anything else on the market. But they're a leg of the stool, not an open ended stand-alone product.

A better direct comparison would be against Mantic, FFG, Wyrd, Battlefront, or Warlord. And GW has definitely outperformed all of them so far.

FFG's Descent-universe wargames have been pretty unremarkable, but I'm very eager to see how their 32mm Star Wars game will be received. The hobby aspect isn't especially popular with FFGs usual customers, but they already have the Xwing base.

Yeah I think that's a fairer comparison. This is what I was groping at before but you've put it better than I managed.

The Star Wars game is probably going to be a fine game but my suspicion is that it's going to struggle to get the same traction X-Wing did some the things which are supposed to be attractive about that game (no painting/assembly) don't apply, and FFG apparently have a poor record for keeping up with supporting games which aren't X-Wing after their shelf life runs out. Plus there's already been a number of Star Wars infantry wargames which went nowhere.

It probably won't fail as hard as the hardcore GW fanboys want, but it won't be the 40k killer some of the opposing set of fanboys want it to be.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

How do the Blightlords work with ye olde termicide strategy that chaos used to do? I imagine loading them up with combi-plasma and deepstriking them and a chaos lord in terminator armor with his own plasma gun for the reroll bubble would melt just about anything, but that might just be my inexperience talking.

Compared to how other armies can dump supercharged plasma rounds, it's a bit underwhelming and expensive. For 420pts minimum you get 12 18" S8 -3AP D2 shots, which isn't especially scary considering some of the other options available. It's not terrible but it's certainly not ideal.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

On a different note, I mentioned posting some whole army pictures at some point and I had the chance to take some of the Guard + hangers on today. Excuse my awful kitchen walls. I have a few more bits on the painting desk - 10 more Scions, another Taurox, and some mortars - but this is substantially it.

Here is Corrode's Imperial Obsession part 1.

All together

Bullgryn

Astra Telepathica and Ratlings

Militarum Tempestus

Imperial Knight

Vendettas

Officers

Infantry + Special Weapons

Autocannons

Lascannons

Basilisks

Hydras + Manticores

Chimeras (RIP)

Baneblade

Assassin town

Inquisition + Priest

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
That's a great collection, man.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
that's rad as hell

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

moths posted:

GW's direct competitor isn't Mantic, FFG, etc - it's GW from 10 years ago. People don't have to complete with modern GW's technology, they just have to complete with the models GW won't update, which is what the niche modelers have been doing for some time. (See those polish(?) aspect warriors posted earlier, or the raging heroes sisters)

Hell, thats why I wished KoW / warpath had taken off in my area - crappy models that actually come out are better than no new models for years.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

GW's direct competitor isn't Mantic, FFG, etc - it's GW from 10 years ago. People don't have to complete with modern GW's technology, they just have to complete with the models GW won't update, which is what the niche modelers have been doing for some time. (See those polish(?) aspect warriors posted earlier, or the raging heroes sisters)

Well, sort of. That's definitely the case for general business competition, but I don't think that's what people have been discussing. The discussion seems to have mostly been about the quality of injection molded plastic models, and most of those niche modelers have been doing are small batch resin.

I haven't really seen anything that matches GWs plastic quality. None of the other game manufacturers seem to be close, and while tank/plane/car models can have a similar or higher finished quality, they also come in a billion pieces without anywhere near as much detail per piece.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Giant Isopod posted:

Hell, thats why I wished KoW / warpath had taken off in my area - crappy models that actually come out are better than no new models for years.

Can you not just use the old models or something

the way I'm reading this is "crappy models that have been a long time are worse than new crappy models" which doesn't make that much sense

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

TheChirurgeon posted:

Can you not just use the old models or something

the way I'm reading this is "crappy models that have been a long time are worse than new crappy models" which doesn't make that much sense

It's fun to get new models in a constant stream and far more fun to build multipart plastics. Which I do, I just don't get to play any games with them.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Giant Isopod posted:

Also making models that had rules but never had models. Read: all the DE characters that got dropped. I know there's a dude out there that made the Baron on skyboard. Hell, the Decapitator was a character all the way back in 3rd and never got a model.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I will be dead before I could have painted that much.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Joke: Magnus did nothing wrong
Woke: Horus did nothing wrong

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

Joke: Magnus did nothing wrong
Woke: Horus did nothing wrong

Broke: Guilliman can do no wrong

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Hooray the post office delivered my Ebay order to someone else down the street, who claims they never saw it. Wonderful. Goodbye $40 of bits I needed for an Adepticon project.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Nifara posted:

Oh that's another thing, dear lord do the Perry sprues have mould lines. And they're terrible to remove because the plastic is slightly bendier and springier, so you can smoothly scrape them away. I actually have some line I have to carefully slice away with the sharp side of scalpel.
That's weird. I've got both the Perry Afrika Korps and Desert Rats kits, and the mold lines on those are no worse than any of the GW kits I've ever assembled, and in some cases markedly better. And with the helmets/hats being separate pieces, you don't have the problem so common to GW sculpts, where the mold line always runs right across the top of the model's head, where it will be the most obvious.

If you want good casting quality, go with Corvus Belli. I've gotten to the point where I prime them first, because with the bare metal it's oftentimes hard to tell what's a mold line and what is intentional detail (hint: it's almost never mold lines). Their newer sculpts also have really solid joins and nice multi-part variability for minis that share the same torso (and usually a single leg).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Two Beans posted:

Broke: Guilliman can do no wrong

Downloaded Dark Imperium.

Was actually pretty good, color me surprised.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just wanna check a Battlescribe question here: is adding a Relic unit like a Leviathan hosed up for anyone else or am I just doing it wrong? It keeps telling me that I have too many selections of whatever unit it is, even if I have it in the same detachment as other units of the same battlefield role.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

PantsOptional posted:

Just wanna check a Battlescribe question here: is adding a Relic unit like a Leviathan hosed up for anyone else or am I just doing it wrong? It keeps telling me that I have too many selections of whatever unit it is, even if I have it in the same detachment as other units of the same battlefield role.

Happens to me too. I’ve just learned to ignore it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Yup, it's been like that forever for some reason. Just ignore it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Nifara posted:

On my hobby bench are some Perry's civil war infantry and some hellblasters. The Perry stuff is great sculpts (the brothers are some of the best), and look good, but to say they are even remotely approaching the quality of the GW kit, in quality of material or mould, is frankly laughable. The GW kits are just wildly better. I'll grab some pics when I get home to compare if people like.

My god. This. I have all of the North Star kits for frostgrave and they are nice, but it is an absolute joke to say they are on a par with GW. And the Perry miniatures are excellent sculpts but the quality of the kits is still lacking.

I understand that a lot of people dislike the GW aesthetic (or at least the trend of the last couple of years of making everything covered in fussy details on top of the GW aesthetic) and that North Star and Perry minis have a more restrained style, but it’s not the same thing as build or casting quality.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dexefiend posted:

This comment gave me the heeby-jeebies.

It's more common than you'd think.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Yup, it's been like that forever for some reason. Just ignore it.

Yes, it's a quirk of how battlescribe works. It can only see other units in the same or child detachments. If you make the forgeworld the parent it'll read correctly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I like the modern GW aesthetic for most things, then again I consider the era of dreadknights, lords of skulls, and centurions to be separate from our current era of plastic greater daemons, daemon primarchs, Nagash and Archaon.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Sex Cannon posted:

That's a great collection, man.

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's rad as hell

Thanks dudes! The crazy thing about the Guard range is that even with all that there's so many units I own none of - no Russes at all for example. It could go on expanding forever.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I will be dead before I could have painted that much.

That's just 1 of my 5 armies :v: although it's biggest or joint biggest with the Crimson Fists; my Blood Angels, Dark Eldar and Ad Mech are all way smaller than that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lungboy posted:

That's what I always do with GW models...

And that's why you don't have any fingertips.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Corrode posted:

Here is Corrode's Imperial Obsession part 1.
:eyepop:

Corrode posted:

That's just 1 of my 5 armies :v: although it's biggest or joint biggest with the Crimson Fists; my Blood Angels, Dark Eldar and Ad Mech are all way smaller than that.
:eyepop::popeye::eyepop:
As a poorly motivated slow painter, that's like a lifetime of painting for me.
At least.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

there's so many units I own none of - no Russes at all for example.

Thats almost impressive.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any of you guys subscribe to White Dwarf? I keep getting my issues later and later every month, to the point where I don't even read them because they've already been spoiled online or through visiting the shop.

Last month I didn't get mine until the second week of the month. I still don't have mine for this month. I felt like a bit of a dick sending an email to GW Customer Service, but it's irritating me.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Any of you guys subscribe to White Dwarf? I keep getting my issues later and later every month, to the point where I don't even read them because they've already been spoiled online or through visiting the shop.

Last month I didn't get mine until the second week of the month. I still don't have mine for this month. I felt like a bit of a dick sending an email to GW Customer Service, but it's irritating me.

Just use the App...read them on a tablet, gently caress print media!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Groetgaffel posted:

At least.

Artum posted:

Thats almost impressive.

The core of the army was painted for 5th edition, when mech Vets and Vendettas were king. I played in 24 events in 2 1/2 years in like 2010-2012 and played Guard at 11 of them (almost exclusively once I had them, with small breaks with Deathwing/Dark Eldar) so I had some serious motivation to get on with it to be able to take it to tournaments. It helps that I really enjoy painting even if I'm merely adequate at it, so I get through a lot of stuff.

The tournament thing is also why I have no Russes, since they were gash right up until 8th edition suddenly made them worthwhile.

My Crimson Fists are much more diverse, since they were the first army I played with and I have like a battle company + tons of random other stuff bought solely for its coolness (the Terminator Chaplain springs to mind, which must have the worst age/number of games used ratio of anything I own).

Living Image fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 6, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Just use the App...read them on a tablet, gently caress print media!

I don't have a tablet, but this is a good idea. Maybe i'll switch once my subscription runs out.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
On Perrys chat, I think they're technically on a par with the first few years of LotR plastics (which had the same sculptors for a start).

But Perry and Warlord get their plastics done by Renedra, another former GW employee company.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

It's Battlescribe trying to make you a better person by not taking a Leviathan.

Played against a friend of mine this weekend, 1850 points with my Templars vs his Space Wolves. His whole strategy hinged on a big block of Wulfen charging up and then a squad of Long Fangs and Wolf Scouts outflanking to get an alpha strike off. I deployed too far up with my Crusader and Rhino, meaning he was in range to shoot the Crusader and the Rhino got charged by the Wulfen. The problem was, even with the outflankers and his main firebase, all that shooting and the Wulfen's charge only managed to kill my Land Raider Crusader and a Rhino, and leave the rest of my army relatively unscathed. Cue Helbrecht and 15 angry Crusaders ripping the Wulfen a new one, my Devastators, Contemptor, and Land Speeder gunning down his outflankers, my Assault Terminators dropping in and assaulting his Predator, and effectively hobbling his army turn 1. The next round saw a mob of Blood Claws and a Wolf Priest follow up after the dead Wulfen while Bjorn fell back to fight my Terminators, but he split his force up to do that. The Blood Claws chewed up my Crusaders, but then my Tactical Marines supported by Helbrecht were able to charge in and wipe them out. Helbrecht giving rerolls and making dudes S5 is killer, and he even got to slaughter the Wolf Priest in single combat :black101: His Vindicator and plasma guns kept trying to focus down my Contemptor, but I burned a reroll on his last wound and kept him alive long enough for my Techmarine to get him back up to fighting strength, where he continued to mow down chumps. The game ran its course by turn 3, and on turn 4 I was about to charge Helbrecht into Bjorn and table him when he conceded.

Takeaways:
- Helbrecht is loving good, and his +1 S buff is killer. I gotta use that on Sword Brethren next
- I forgot to use the Auspex Scan strategem with my heavy bolter Devastators, which would have let me gun down the Wolf Scouts before they shot up my LRC
- I deployed my armor too far up with no screening, which got them charged. Need to invest in some more Scouts

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

I don't have a tablet, but this is a good idea. Maybe i'll switch once my subscription runs out.

Honestly their customer support is good enough that if you ask they might convert your current account over. They know they have delivery issues (I've also experienced it and they address it with a memo and a two month credit a while back), and if you tell them its impacting your decision to continue your subscription they'll likely do the math that almost zero company cost to shoot you over digital files will be worth your continued payments.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

Takeaways:
- Helbrecht is loving good, and his +1 S buff is killer. I gotta use that on Sword Brethren next
- I forgot to use the Auspex Scan strategem with my heavy bolter Devastators, which would have let me gun down the Wolf Scouts before they shot up my LRC
- I deployed my armor too far up with no screening, which got them charged. Need to invest in some more Scouts

You're really lucky he didn't completely surround the Land Raider in assault...

Last tournament I got my rhino surrounded by genestealers and lost an entire tactical squad and Tigurius.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Groetgaffel posted:

At least.

Those smilies are mesmerising in how unsynced they are. A bit like indicator lights: if I’m waiting to turn right for a long time it always fascinates me how my lights don’t quite sync with the car in front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

It's Battlescribe trying to make you a better person by not taking a Leviathan.

On the one hand, it wouldn’t earn me any friends.

On the other, I usually play at the FLGS, where that “Iron Hands World Eater” dude plays along with one of the Grey Knights dudes from the same tourney, so I feel no shame in putting the Leviathan on the table there.

On the third hand I need to stop looking at Astartes stuff and focus on my bugs.