Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

Artisan caps are loving stupid.

Romer-G switches were designed by omron/logitech so that they can have an LED in the center of the switch. They have dual contacts so in theory they are more reliable than other switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbW4OT7aDuA

It seems like that review pretty much bashes Romger G switches. Have Cherry MX become the standard for mechanical and anything different is taboo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fixit posted:

It seems like that review pretty much bashes Romger G switches. Have Cherry MX become the standard for mechanical and anything different is taboo?

Cherry MX are the standard, yeah, but I don't think anybody claims they are the best, just the most popular. The same guy that shits on romer-G's in that video thinks that IBM beamspring switches are the best clicky switches ever.

In this thread where we're lusting over the apple extended keyboard, that has alps switches which are probably 2nd most popular behind cherry MX type.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

mewse posted:

Artisan caps are loving stupid.

Agreed 100%

Still didn't stop me from joining the group buy for a Jelly Key Blue Little Dot though :shobon:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mewse posted:

In this thread where we're lusting over the apple extended keyboard, that has alps switches which are probably 2nd most popular behind cherry MX type.
Which kinda says something about the community since they haven't been in production since the 1990's. Sure, there's clones, but the purists (I've discovered) will accept nothing but the original, complicated variant, before any cost-saving heresies. I mean, yeah, the AEK is really nice, and it certainly feels quite a bit better than the Cherry switches on the sample boards I've seen in stores, but is the difference really that big...? For me this is more of a nostalgia thing.

I'm kinda intrigued where this whole thing with new production of Hall effect switches will go though - I don't think such things have been commercially available to any meaningful degree for over 20 years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm gonna build a keyboard with hand made artisan hall effect switches

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Fixit posted:

The same guy lists his favorite clicky switches and none of them are Cherry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTeOVcMi0s

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

Fixit posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I see there are so many "Cherry MX clones" and so many caps that fit Cherry MX stems that's it's basically just become the most common form factor.

Cherry MX was definitely the standard for a while, but this hobby is all about personal preference, so it makes sense that there area lot different types of switches being made now.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Megalixir posted:

When did Leopold start making FC660Ms with unique PBT colorways in MX Clear? I liked my FC660M with MX Reds (now with GMK Plum) a lot, especially the silenced padding they use, so I ordered another.

My dream keycaps are: pbt, doubleshot, and have translucent fluorescent orange legends. Pretty sure they don't exist, but that's more or less the aesthetic I'm hoping for.

mewse
May 2, 2006

rarbatrol posted:

My dream keycaps are: pbt, doubleshot, and have translucent fluorescent orange legends. Pretty sure they don't exist, but that's more or less the aesthetic I'm hoping for.

You could get regular shine thru caps with orange LEDs, I don’t think you’ll ever find translucent neon orange legends lol

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I never said it was a reasonable desire!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Fixit posted:

I really dislike the Romer G switches, but a lot of that is because the actuation bump is all the way at the top of the switch.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

TheFluff posted:

I was looking at the Havit 390L which seemed kinda interesting but the Kailh switches are marked as Nope Zone in the OP.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Kailh switches are actually quite good now. OP really needs to update that.

I have no experience with their new low-profile switches, but I do know a guy who's ordered a keyboard with those switches (I think it was that Havit). Will report back on his experience when I hear about it

I just bought the Havit 390L and its soooooooo good. I really wanted a non-chiclet scissor-switch keyboard but apparently that's not a real thing. I was thinking about rigging up an old laptop keyboard with a Teensy but this is so good I'm not going to bother. I also got Amazon's 4 year warranty thing for $1.88 which seems like a decent gamble... I don't remember the last time I had a keyboard that lasted 4 years.

I can't speak to longevity or anything because I've been using it for about 30 minutes but hot drat it's amazing to type on, assuming low-profile is your cup of tea. My Corsair K70 can get hosed. Who abrasively textures a non-standard, unreplaceable spacebar? Assholes, that's who.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

rarbatrol posted:

These are ABS sorry. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/37613

Otherwise you could buy lots of them! :D

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Megalixir posted:

When did Leopold start making FC660Ms with unique PBT colorways in MX Clear? I liked my FC660M with MX Reds (now with GMK Plum) a lot, especially the silenced padding they use, so I ordered another.

That font/color is sex to my eyes. No numpad, no game for me but drat!

[edit] can someone please explain why all modern keyboards are ruined with no numpad?! I don't understand it and it makes me angry.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 7, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm still mad miami dolch was $140 usd on massdrop

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It's OK, save that money for GMK Red Samurai.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

redeyes posted:

[edit] can someone please explain why all modern keyboards are ruined with no numpad?! I don't understand it and it makes me angry.

They have a smaller footprint, and a numpad isn't a necessity for a lot of people. The less keys on a board the less materials go into it, making them cheaper to produce.

I don't use a numpad, and need more space to the right of the keyboard for my mouse. The only boards I use right now are TLK. I'm about to move into 68 key territory cause I could go without F keys, but still need the arrow keys.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I use a mouse left-handed and *love* having a numpad. It's my movement, jump, crouch and lots of other game keys in a compact cluster. And it's a numpad, which is awesome.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I joined this drop last night for a new kb to use at work - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-k320-tkl-mechanical-keyboard
It looks pretty nice for $70 + tax for basic TKL, getting the space gray with brown switches

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Varg posted:

I joined this drop last night for a new kb to use at work - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-k320-tkl-mechanical-keyboard
It looks pretty nice for $70 + tax for basic TKL, getting the space gray with brown switches

That looks like a good price point for a TKL with PBT keycaps. The DURGOD name emblazoned on the front is also pretty funny which is either good or bad depending on if you want your keyboard to be fun or serious business.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone have any experience making custom plates or cases? There’s a 90% pcb on AliExpress but the only case for it is a $140 aluminum dealie with integrated plate

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mewse posted:

Anyone have any experience making custom plates or cases? There’s a 90% pcb on AliExpress but the only case for it is a $140 aluminum dealie with integrated plate

Plates are easy enough. Just go here, design your plate and send it over to whoever can cut it for you. I think it also has a link to lasergist to do it.

http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/

For cases, the one above has options for layered acrylic sandwich cases, but for other types of cases, you'd have to either DIY it or design it elsewhere and have it CNC'd.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Man, disassembling, cleaning, lubing and reassembling all 108 switches on this AEK is gonna take some doing. I've only done like five so far and it's taken me like an hour. Might skip the F key row. Then again I think I got how to do it down now, and I did the stabilized ones first and those are of course extra fiddly.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Okay I've made my mind up, I need a new programmable keyboard for home. I keep trying to use the Pok3r capslock layout on my TKL at home while programming and it's messing me up!

I am okay with going down to a 68-key, but anything without arrow keys is going to be a struggle for my partner so nothing smaller (so getting a second pok3r is out). Also I accidentally bought a PBT dolch* set for 65%-75% keyboards for my TKL so it'd be great to not have to live with that mistake any longer.

So basically I need a 65-75%, programmable keyboard. I need to be able to user the Pok3r capslock layout. Do people here have any suggestions? Know any keebs that meet these needs?

* : https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/94key-dolch-pbt-oem-profile so

Edit: I should add that I live in Canada, so anything available here is a huge plus since customs will increase costs by like 20%

Brownie fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheFluff posted:

Man, disassembling, cleaning, lubing and reassembling all 108 switches on this AEK is gonna take some doing. I've only done like five so far and it's taken me like an hour. Might skip the F key row. Then again I think I got how to do it down now, and I did the stabilized ones first and those are of course extra fiddly.

You should really try taking out the rubber bumpers. Without them, it's a bit clackier but I think it feels and sounds much better. It basically converts the switches to the orange kind found on the AEK1.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Brownie posted:

Okay I've made my mind up, I need a new programmable keyboard for home. I keep trying to use the Pok3r capslock layout on my TKL at home while programming and it's messing me up!

I am okay with going down to a 68-key, but anything without arrow keys is going to be a struggle for my partner so nothing smaller (so getting a second pok3r is out). Also I accidentally bought a PBT dolch* set for 65%-75% keyboards for my TKL so it'd be great to not have to live with that mistake any longer.

So basically I need a 65-75%, programmable keyboard. I need to be able to user the Pok3r capslock layout. Do people here have any suggestions? Know any keebs that meet these needs?

* : https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/94key-dolch-pbt-oem-profile so

Edit: I should add that I live in Canada, so anything available here is a huge plus since customs will increase costs by like 20%

I'd say KBD75 or Tada68 from KBDFans since they both support QMK. I live in Canada too and your best bet is from Chinese vendors, really. (since they declare the customs value low)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

I'd say KBD75 or Tada68 from KBDFans since they both support QMK. I live in Canada too and your best bet is from Chinese vendors, really. (since they declare the customs value low)

Yeah you can get the tada68 with plastic case and without switches or caps for $55 usd

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Borrowed a Kinesis to work on today. Coworkers think I brought an alien spaceship.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You should really try taking out the rubber bumpers. Without them, it's a bit clackier but I think it feels and sounds much better. It basically converts the switches to the orange kind found on the AEK1.

This is an orange switch AEK1. :)
I think mewse got himself an AEK2 though.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

redeyes posted:

That font/color is sex to my eyes. No numpad, no game for me but drat!

I have a separate NumPad that I use with my 60% keyboard. It let's me position them individually so I can have more mouse space while gaming and it hooks up to me laptop when I travel.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Trip report for the Kinesis. Awesome keeb but needs some serious time practising to type on it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Switch to Dvorak while you’re at it. Also if it’s an Advantage2 go nuts remapping/reprogramming keys. Macros own.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

This is an orange switch AEK1. :)
I think mewse got himself an AEK2 though.

Should be showing up today \o/

I think I’ll like the dampened switches, I like my gateron silent browns even tho they do feel mushy

mewse
May 2, 2006

AEK2 arrived

Pretty dirty, no cables, yellowing is pretty significant.

Good news is that there's no cracks or other permanent cosmetic damage. I think it will clean up pretty nicely.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
So I hosed up and spilled soup on my keeb. Popped off the caps and started cleaning it but didn't unplug it. Plugged it back in, it's detected but not recognized. Currently opening the enclosure to clean and dry it and hopefully its salvageable because wasd won't take it back unless I pay Canada us customs (which I won't) because spill damage isn't covered. If the keeb is truly bricked I have an expensive paper weight. This stupid loving hobby man. I don't know if I can justify another few hundred dollar purchase on this

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Not sure if it's salvageable, but see if you can open it up to separate out the PCB and dry that separately or something. Not sure how easy to disassemble that keyboard is.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mewse posted:

AEK2 arrived

Pretty dirty, no cables, yellowing is pretty significant.

Good news is that there's no cracks or other permanent cosmetic damage. I think it will clean up pretty nicely.

You probably know this already but Monoprice has s-video cables for a few bucks.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Constellation I posted:

Not sure if it's salvageable, but see if you can open it up to separate out the PCB and dry that separately or something. Not sure how easy to disassemble that keyboard is.

If I had the datasheet and the schematic I could one hundred percent salvage this but I don't think I can at this rate.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I have a s-video cable on order from an ebay seller because I'm in Canada.

I'm pretty confident this AEK2 is from a school. I disassembled it and it was filthy, somebody had spilled soda in it. The "monopod" back foot was seized up with a tiny smear of the soda, I was able to soak it in water and get it working again, maybe a little too well because I put some grease on the plastic blades that extend the foot and now it has trouble staying extended.

I'm worried about the alps switches. The num pad in particular seems to have taken a soda bath because grabbing them and trying to wiggle the housing is making the crackling noise you'd expect from sticky soft drink residue. I also tried to disassemble one of those sticky ones to peek inside and the housing was stuck down, I'm going to have to find a robust method to get those off because I want to clean and lube all the switches. Will kinda be moot if the board doesn't work but I gotta wait for a teensy to show up because I can test that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mewse posted:

I have a s-video cable on order from an ebay seller because I'm in Canada.

Um

https://www.primecables.ca/p-361219-cab-svhs1-03e-molded-s-video-cable-male-to-male?atc_source=search%23s-video#sku371589