Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nodosaur posted:

And then he loving faceplanted into the water

why has no one gifed that

I love that he is always like “stay home my meek little twin sister, me and my multiple off-white Carbuncles can handle this!” while Alisaie is in permanent “get a load of this guy” mode.

She’s just waiting for the next time he raises a private militia with disasterous results or bankrupts the Scions by buying a (counterfeit) “Totally Legendary and Authentic Lance of Estinien, Best Azure Dragoon” or some poo poo just to rub it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

No idea why they allowed relocation for private individuals, but I'm pretty glad they did. Now the proud owner of the Plot 1 medium house.

That doubled my floor space, need to seriously redecorate.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

MechaX posted:

I love that he is always like “stay home my meek little twin sister, me and my multiple off-white Carbuncles can handle this!” while Alisaie is in permanent “get a load of this guy” mode.

To be fair she almost died, Alphinaud being overprotective is understandable.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chaosfirev posted:

Despite being almost dead, she is still the better swimmer by far.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Thundarr posted:

Despite being almost dead, she is still the better swimmer by far.

That's a very low bar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

And then he loving faceplanted into the water

why has no one gifed that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPQGBH4b7U

I think it loses something without the VA, honestly.

Chaosfirev posted:

It's cute, but it's also a nice little expansion on Alphinaud's characterization after Heavensward. There's brotherly love, sure, but there's also an element of, "I can handle it on my own; you should just sit back and watch," that's still lingering from the old Alphinaud.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 6, 2018

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

They really are hitting it out of the park when it comes to Alisaie and Alphinaud. Alphinaud was just a boring "I know everything" for the longest time, I'm glad they gave him some depth.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chaosfirev posted:

They really are hitting it out of the park when it comes to Alisaie and Alphinaud. Alphinaud was just a boring "I know everything" for the longest time, I'm glad they gave him some depth.

Alphinaud is easily my favorite Final Fantasy character, period. He's a great deconstruction of the child prodigy archetype without getting unnecessarily cynical about it, and his whole character arc in Heavensward is arguably the most memorable part of it.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

We do need more scenes of Y'shtola messing with him though, he gets so flustered it's adorable.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The real tragedy of Stormblood is the utter dearth of Y'shtola and Krile content.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I did not get a new house because I like my plot in the Lavender Beds too much, but with some of the new items added in 4.2, I did a bit of redecorating in my small house. The open partition and the brick wall are some of my favourite new items. Having extra vendors is nice, too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rainuwastaken posted:

The real tragedy of Stormblood is the utter dearth of Y'shtola and Krile content.

They and Thancred basically dominated the latter parts of HW, Urianger has been developed pretty well across all expansions, so they pretty much had to pull double duty to get Lyse to the same level as everyone else, I figure.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

:toot: Managed to get my ilvl up from 310ish at the start of the week to 325 the other night and got my Sigmascape done before reset. Pretty neat set of bosses, I particularly liked O8. I swear there was one time where he did the ice attack and it was reversed despite there being no floating question orbs

Rainuwastaken posted:

It kind of felt like they had to sideline them in order to give other characters a chance to shine.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

They and Thancred basically dominated the latter parts of HW, Urianger has been developed pretty well across all expansions, so they pretty much had to pull double duty to get Lyse to the same level as everyone else, I figure.

And even then I really couldn't care about her character at all. Her and the dude she was always with always felt like the weakest characters and I think they started developing her too late to make a difference. Unless something huge happens I really dont see me giving a crap.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I found it funny looking at some of the new Goblet/Lavender Beds districts this morning. All the large houses are gone, every other house remains.

Someday I'll trade my Mist #4 for a Mist #5. Only then will I be happy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like, I get not liking Lyse, but at the same time, I can't really see those three contributing much to Ala Mhigo's narrative, or it providing much to learn more about them.

I will not hear anything bad said about Arenvald, though. He's my boy.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

Like, I get not liking Lyse, but at the same time, I can't really see those three contributing much to Ala Mhigo's narrative, or it providing much to learn more about them.

I will not hear anything bad said about Arenvald, though. He's my boy.

For sure, why can't we just have M'naago (I think that's her name) be the main Ala Mhigo person? I like her more than Lyse...

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

They're gonna pick the character to focus on that we've seen before and is part of the main group over the new character who came out of nowhere who is Yet Another Mi'qote, "too late" or not.

I don't dislike M'Naago but she also doesn't strike me as having many distinct character traits either. Like or dislike Lyse, you can still say more about her even when she was less focused on than that. She's memorable enough to be, well, memorable, but she begins and ends with "Conrad/Lyse's assistant who is also a cat".

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

I mean.

They're gonna pick the character to focus on that we've seen before and is part of the main group over the new character who came out of nowhere who is Yet Another Mi'qote, "too late" or not.

I know that's why I didn't say "they should have"

In hindsight I wasn't super clear though

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just wait until Fordola heroically sacrifices herself and at the last moment she gives Lyse one of her Sharingans and then it's just the Lyse Show from here on out.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Arenvald is cool and all, but they should have just given Hoary Boulder the echo instead and have him and those other supportive Crystal Brave carryovers help out more.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I've never understood (aside from purely technical reasons) why they never tried to use a lottery system for the housing. Open up X number of plots a week, one week to buy a lottery ticket for the price of a plot, nonwinners get their money refunded after the lottery is over. Better yet, have half the plots be a set price ticket while the other half go up for auction so that gillionaires can swing their bigdick wallets around.

This stupid race to login stuff doesn't seem to serve any purpose except to annoy people and put undue stress on the servers.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Actually, hadn't even realized all the old housing areas got extra wards too. Checking those, there are tons of mediums/smalls still available (on Lich at least)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MechaX posted:

Arenvald is cool and all, but they should have just given Hoary Boulder the echo instead and have him and those other supportive Crystal Brave carryovers help out more.

well, for one, Hoary isn't Ala Mhigan

for two, Arenvald was also an already existing character, so picking someone else would have just been a lateral move

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

well, for one, Hoary isn't Ala Mhigan

for two, Arenvald was also an already existing character, so picking someone else would have just been a lateral move

I mean, sure, Arenvald being Ala Mhigan is more relevant to the liberation on paper. Personally, I am still not completely sympathetic to Ala Mhigo given how they even got into the situation of the Empire taking over anyway (and especially after the BRD SB Quest), so that point is a bit of a nonstarter for me personally. And you could easily make Boulder have some stake or motivation in the liberation.

I am way more sympathetic to Doma in comparison.

That, and I think at a base level Hoary Boulder is more memorable; he can just be taken to even greater heights

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 6, 2018

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Philonius posted:

Actually, hadn't even realized all the old housing areas got extra wards too. Checking those, there are tons of mediums/smalls still available (on Lich at least)

Yeah, theyre available but you cant buy any right now until whatever future date. They'll probably go fast.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don't see how they could have made him relevant to the storyline at hand. You can go "well the whole story is broken/bad on paper, you should do something else", but that takes everything too far into the realm of hypotheticals that I don't really see much point in it.

Like, Arenvald's perspective as an Ala Mhigan is what colors everything he contributes to the plot, which is, admittedly, mostly in the post-expansion patch series. I just can't image what Hoary would have to say or contribute that someone actually FROM there who grew up under such factors as he did, and he'd probably be a much less effective foil for Fordola.

I realize this is stuff we learned about Arenvald in the parts they used him in, but. Hoary is simultaneously too fleshed out and too minor a character for anything like what they're doing with Arenvald to feel like it fits Hoary at all. Arenvald was a blank slate, yeah, but there was more room to fill stuff in. I'd also argue that Hoary is ultimately best served as comic relief, and pushing him outside that niche would kind of kill what makes him memorable.

He'd also certainly be less as good a foil for Fordola, considering Arenvald and Fordola both share crappy upbringings, which gives some weight to him calling out. Hoary has a brother, a relatively respectable husband/life partner, and doesn't really strike me as someone who's had to really deal with much adversity or impoverishment in his life.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Our tiny FC of friends finally got the money together, wards are a ghost town though.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

KoB posted:

Our tiny FC of friends finally got the money together, wards are a ghost town though.

Congrats on home ownership!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm really glad for the end of Fractal Continuum and the closure it gives Ecatl Nine.

It making it so they don't give up on their dream to fly and find a better place for their people despite knowing the truth is honestly pretty inspiring.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Philonius posted:

FYI everyone should be looking at the OLD wards too for people who are moving. They should be purchasable immediately by anyone. I think. Maybe.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nah, it’s only for FCs right now. I tried to buy a medium in the Mist and it said buying personal homes is disabled currently. But there are definitely a lot of smalls and some mediums available right now. I only looked at half of the Mist, so I bet the others have a lot too.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
At the very least it should be slightly less insane when property opens up now with the new housing per account restriction.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

How much is it to move into a medium from a small?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Chaosfirev posted:

How much is it to move into a medium from a small?

Same as buying fresh, you buy the plot, transfer, buy a new permit, etc.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

KoB posted:

Hmmm... Maybe I should just keep my current place. It's beachfront and the sun sets over the ocean, I just wish it were bigger.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Hommando posted:

Putting the QT in Miqo'te.

Cute!!!

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

making GBS threads over fellow red mages in 24 mans who refuse to A) wear a hat and B) wear red has given me an idea for a new class for the next expansion :

Fashion Icon

You get a scaling damage boost based on how well coordinated your glamour is. It takes into account season, time of day, and constantly changing fashion trends.

It's time to bring both halves of FFXIV's endgame together.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MechaX posted:

I mean, sure, Arenvald being Ala Mhigan is more relevant to the liberation on paper. Personally, I am still not completely sympathetic to Ala Mhigo given how they even got into the situation of the Empire taking over anyway (and especially after the BRD SB Quest), so that point is a bit of a nonstarter for me personally. And you could easily make Boulder have some stake or motivation in the liberation.

I am way more sympathetic to Doma in comparison.

That, and I think at a base level Hoary Boulder is more memorable; he can just be taken to even greater heights

Granted I haven't done the SB Bard quest but I'm having trouble imagining a situation wherein anyone has their country conquered by an oppressive military force and the reaction is "yeah they totally had this coming"

also just because Hoary Boulder is a great comedy side character doesn't mean he'd function well outside of that role.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

KoB posted:

Isn't there a discount for the cost of the previous plot?

I'm considering seeing if I can get a medium back in Mist.