Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Ofecks posted:

But console input lag doesn't come from the video output, it comes from the display unit itself (LCD/LED/Plasma/etc vs CRT)? It makes no difference how the signal is transmitted if your HDTV has a slow response time, it's going to be laggy on composite, it's going to be laggy on HDMI. Either you or I are really confused about how this stuff works.

You're confused friend. His keywords were "In HD." All current HD options for a real SNES involve a box-in-the-middle upscaler, which is the lag he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

So it's me. Ok, so most of the input lag for console HDTVs comes from processing the low-res signal to get it up on the display, not the inheirent response time of a LCD/LED/whatever?

With PC/emulators it's different due to USB polling, how fast the program writes the framebuffer, the speed the OS talks to the video card, plus the display unit response time.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Bingo. Cheap upscalers adding 3-5ms of lag was the primary issue.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

You're confused friend. His keywords were "In HD." All current HD options for a real SNES involve a box-in-the-middle upscaler, which is the lag he's talking about.

Exactly. It'd be easier and faster to process the image to a usable contemporary format before it leaves the console, rather than trying to adapt a generated signal afterwards.

Ofecks posted:

So it's me. Ok, so most of the input lag for console HDTVs comes from processing the low-res signal to get it up on the display, not the inheirent response time of a LCD/LED/whatever?

Pretty much. It's not as if it's an inherently intractable problem that can't be managed or overcome (look at the XRGB and OSSC, which are purpose-built to process analog video signals into a digital format as fast as possible), but high-performance, feature-rich support for old analog 1980s and 1990s video signals isn't a high priority for consumer TV manufacturers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Voultar_Modshop/status/961006858453553153

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Voultar is great.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I got a Dreamcast and a Saturn plugged on my TV via composite, but Saturn is pretty blurred in comparison to DC.

Saturn (Sonic Jam)

Dreamcast (Gens emulator)

Should I start looking for another cable for my Saturn or does the Dreamcast really has that much better quality with composite?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Negrostrike posted:

I got a Dreamcast and a Saturn plugged on my TV via composite, but Saturn is pretty blurred in comparison to DC.

Saturn (Sonic Jam)

Should I start looking for another cable for my Saturn or does the Dreamcast really has that much better quality with composite?

If those are photos of both platforms from the same (CRT, I assume) TV, then I would definitely look at finding another cable for your Saturn. Or upgrade to an S-Video cable, if your display supports it, and hopefully bypass the issue entirely.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Saturn (Sonic Jam)

I would probably figure out if sonic jam is doing something with blur filters as lots of retro compilations do

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If those are photos of both platforms from the same (CRT, I assume) TV, then I would definitely look at finding another cable for your Saturn. Or upgrade to an S-Video cable, if your display supports it, and hopefully bypass the issue entirely.

Yes, they're from the same CRT (a 21' Wega) and no, there's no S-Video. :(
If I can get my Saturn to output video in the same quality as Dreamcast in that pic with a composite cable I'd be very satisfied and won't give a drat about RGB component schnoponent.

d0s posted:

I would probably figure out if sonic jam is doing something with blur filters as lots of retro compilations do

No, Sonic Jam doesn't have that option. It should be looking just like the Dreamcast photo.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Is it possible that the Dreamcast's video encoder is just better? I don't ever remember Saturn and Genesis games looking much better than that in composite.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

azurite posted:

Is it possible that the Dreamcast's video encoder is just better? I don't ever remember Saturn and Genesis games looking much better than that in composite.

The Genesis has pretty lousy composite video, and in my admittedly more limited experience, Saturn composite video is no great shakes, either. I could see Sega opting for a decent composite encoder in the Dreamcast, considering it had that web browsing and e-mail functionality, along with any hardware design input Microsoft had in regards to supporting Windows CE on the console.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

Sonic Jam was out like 3 years after Sonic & Knuckles, it would be weird for there to be an intentional blur filter when you were going to be playing it on the same TV. Stuff like the similar-concept SNES Final Fantasy to PlayStation 1 ports didn't do that and they were contemporaneous.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i was furiously pressing refresh on all the cool youtubers at midnight for their super nt reviews to drop, but i've realized i'm probably being overeager

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

i was furiously pressing refresh on all the cool youtubers at midnight for their super nt reviews to drop, but i've realized i'm probably being overeager

https://twitter.com/GameSack/status/960642000113483776

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

but it's soooo farrrr awayyy

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Giant Bomb is doing something with the Super NT this week if you like those guys.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

Giant Bomb is doing something with the Super NT this week if you like those guys.

Knowing them they probably hate it after five minutes and start playing shootman PUGB.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Rirse posted:

Knowing them they probably hate it after five minutes and start playing shootman PUGB.

If I remember correctly, Jeff Gerstman has an Omega, and have used it a few times on their live streams, and have used other retro consoles, original hardware or emulator based.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

yeah they did a three hour saturn stream last year and it was pretty cool honestly, since i've never had much experience with it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

these loss edits get more and more obscure every time

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I had a 4:3 Sony Wega crt HDTV and 16 bit games didn't look great on it. There was some weird compression looking artifacts around everything if the game had flat graphics (so basically 90% of the snes and nes library). The Wii looked absolutely stunning on it though. It seriously looked like when you use the Dolphin emulator in 1080p
I think it was My Life in Gaming who mentioned that those kinds of TVs treat 240p as 480i just like modern HDTVs do, so they're not great for older systems but games that run at 480i/480p will look really nice.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, the Doom port is pretty much the only bad one out of all the Saturn FPSes (mostly because the others were all pretty much done by Lobotomy, the people that did Powerslave).
Even the Doom port could've been excellent. The programmer built a custom engine for the Saturn and apparently had it running at 60fps at one point, but then John Carmack sperged out over texture warping issues and forced him to use a different renderer that just didn't suit the Saturn at all. Carmack later admitted that was a dumb decision.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I went from not being interested in the Analog Nt SNES to wanting one pretty badly after watching the kevtris interview as well as the Mike and Ryan review. I went to checkout and it's $40 for shipping? What the hell? It it shipping from Laos or something? Is it just me or is anyone else seeing this insane shipping price?

Also does anyone know if there will be a way to add filters? I usually hate filters, but this one is incredible:
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37175

I am not familiar with "downloading" filters. Would there be some way to get the one I linked working on the Super Analog Nt?

Edit: sorry for a third question but is there a difference between the newer-looking 8bitdo SNES controllers and the older ones that look identical to an snes controller? Bigger battery, better range, etc.?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 7, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Also does anyone know if there will be a way to add filters? I usually hate filters, but this one is incredible:
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37175

I am not familiar with "downloading" filters. Would there be some way to get the one I linked working on the Super Analog Nt?
There are built in customizable scanline filters and also you're committing graphics crimes. :mad:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

There are built in customizable scanline filters and also you're committing graphics crimes. :mad:

I absolutely hate scanlines. I've hated every single filter emulators used. However I played Sonic Mania on my plasma and couldn't believe how amazing the filter was in that game. It doesn't look like those stupid crt filters that give fake phosphor scan pulses and it doesn't have those stupid fake curves on the corners. I can't quite describe what it does (it looks like what I'd imagine playing a retro game on one of those huge LED billboards would look like) but if there's some way to use the filter in the link I posted with the SNES Analog NT then I would be so goddamn happy. Try Sonic Mania with the filter on and I bet you'll finally like a filter for once like me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Edit: sorry for a third question but is there a difference between the newer-looking 8bitdo SNES controllers and the older ones that look identical to an snes controller? Bigger battery, better range, etc.?

I don't think they've confirmed any functional changes, other than the slightly different start/select buttons. The main difference is the new ones come bundled with a retro receiver that you had to buy separately before, and it ends up being like $20 cheaper than getting them separately.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

Saturn (Sonic Jam)

If you can, get RGB cables. Saturn RGB is glorious. Or if you are in the US, maybe some kind of component-RGB scaler? I hear those are not totally terrible.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

TeaJay posted:

If you can, get RGB cables. Saturn RGB is glorious. Or if you are in the US, maybe some kind of component-RGB scaler? I hear those are not totally terrible.

Of course I can get those, but I've got nowhere to plug them in. My CRT only has composite inputs.
I just wanted to know if I can get a better image quality with another composite cable or if the Dreamcast really processes better video quality with those.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Super NT reviews are out now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_OW_t9RXEM

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Putting the Super Game Boy 2 in the thumbnail is a pro loving choice for so many reasons. Well done that YouTube user.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Putting the Super Game Boy 2 in the thumbnail is a pro loving choice for so many reasons. Well done that YouTube user.

i think mlig is actually the single best retro youtube channel. those guys know their poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just don't see the appeal of the Super NT. It just a better clone system like the ones you see at the mall for thirty bucks.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Rirse posted:

I just don't see the appeal of the Super NT. It just a better clone system like the ones you see at the mall for thirty bucks.

it's the closet thing we've ever had to an original snes with hdmi output. that's the appeal.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I mean the NT isn't something I'd be in the market for since I just recently got a PVM, RGB cables, etc.
But to anyone looking to play SNES on their main TV it looks pretty dope.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sudo rm -rf posted:

it's the closet thing we've ever had to an original snes with hdmi output. that's the appeal.

Has anyone really seen any glaring flaws in the emulation on the snes mini? I’d argue that’s the best bet for hdmi snes. I have literally no idea how the super nt performs but the snes mini is by no means a bad performer.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i was already interested in the Super NT but these reviews are really selling me on it even more. seems like the best way to play my SNES carts on an HDTV while getting the most accurate visual/audio experience possible. i hope these guys do a Genesis fpga system sometime too, between those two i'd basically be set for everything retro that i want to play (minus gameboy color games, i guess)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone really seen any glaring flaws in the emulation on the snes mini? I’d argue that’s the best bet for hdmi snes. I have literally no idea how the super nt performs but the snes mini is by no means a bad performer.

it's mostly minor stuff, little graphical glitches here and there, the audio being something like 95% accurate and sounding close enough, whereas the super nt hits that last bit of accuracy. when it comes to adding more titles to it, the SNES classic also has trouble running a decent number of SNES games natively, mostly ones with weird transparency effects like kirby's dream land 3 and several RPGs. the classic is great, for sure. best emulation box for SNES games since it's official.

but, also, it doesn't play real cartridges. thats a big deal to me, i want to use my actual carts. partially because nostalgia, but also partially because it would be nice to be able to use the same Earthbound/Chrono Trigger/Mario RPG cart on a TV in the living room(on an hdtv with theoretically the NT) and a TV in my bedroom(with my actual snes on a CRT) and keep my same save file rolling along

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 7, 2018

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Has kevtris made a Genesis core? If so perhaps they could just make a physical pinout cart adapter if the fpga in that thing suffices. Hard to say with all of the blast no processing required.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Rirse posted:

lol

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

not... quite. those mall clone systems are usually based on shoddy system-on-a-chip solutions that have compatibility and accuracy issues, and they also typically only have composite output.

the Super NT, however, is an FPGA solution, meaning it's a perfectly accurate replication of the original SNES hardware with no compatibility issues or accuracy problems. it also supports native HDMI and looks swank as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

The SNES is probably my favorite system, if I were just getting into this stuff and hadn’t developed a consumption habit yet I’d probably get the Super NT and the UltraHDMI and then call it a day.

Dunno if I’ll get it now considering I have all the SNES stuff I need for my current setup, but it’d be a great thing to have at my parents’ house when me and my siblings are home for the holidays, etc. Will go for the Famicom-style model if I do