Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Leveraged options trading is only bad if you are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

BWM: Please don't tell Mom

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Margin Called at the Memory Bank

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
It's a cheap lesson at an early stage in life. He'll be fine.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I've spent more on dumber poo poo than that.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Let me tell you about spending ~ 40k on a motorcycle that I barely used since 2008 instead of putting the money in the stock market.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Panfilo posted:

Margin Called at the Memory Bank

Rehabiliation: Doppel into a horse.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Haifisch posted:

I lost my entire savings ($10,000) trying to buy the dip from the stock market today.

He got hosed, but he says he normally saves $1k/month for fun purchases. I'm guessing that he could do even better if he were being frugal. He could be caught up in no time.

The real question is whether he will be any wiser thr next time he thinks he smells easy money on the market...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Depends on how long his mom grounds him from the computer and cell phone I guess.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

It's basically pro sports but without the massive payouts that pro sportsmen actually get out of the astronomically low chance if they become big stars.

Besides, streaming games every waking hour has a atrociously bad income/time spent metric compared to those making low effort lolcat videos in the "actually making money off videos" category.

It depends entirely on the viewership you get and how you leverage that. Someone who gets like 300 viewers a day probably makes somewhere in the realm of $3k a month between ad revenue, subscription money, sponsor money and affiliate links. The higher your viewership the more likely you are to get noticed by people just scrolling through the list, which turns into more viewers and more subs/donations. I think it's way more lucrative to be a Livestreamer than it is to be a YouTuber, simply because the number of revenue streams at your disposal is much higher. Add on to the fact that most of the "expenses" these guys have are things they likely had already (pc, mic, internet, gaming console). The biggest barrier to entry these guys face is simply getting the audience, because it's a lot harder to get discovered on twitch than it is on yt, since there is no metadata system to game for views

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

It depends entirely on the viewership you get and how you leverage that. Someone who gets like 300 viewers a day probably makes somewhere in the realm of $3k a month between ad revenue, subscription money, sponsor money and affiliate links. The higher your viewership the more likely you are to get noticed by people just scrolling through the list, which turns into more viewers and more subs/donations. I think it's way more lucrative to be a Livestreamer than it is to be a YouTuber, simply because the number of revenue streams at your disposal is much higher. Add on to the fact that most of the "expenses" these guys have are things they likely had already (pc, mic, internet, gaming console). The biggest barrier to entry these guys face is simply getting the audience, because it's a lot harder to get discovered on twitch than it is on yt, since there is no metadata system to game for views

Ok but how much do you make if you have cleavage

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Add a zero to everything

That isn't even a joke either

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
As an aside, I think "titty streamer" is a hilarious addition to the English language.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

ryde posted:

VIX is an index that tracks the implied volatility of the market (basically how much its expected to move). Its nicknamed the fear index because it tends to shoot up when people are afraid and are selling off.

XIV is an inverse instrument for VIX. Basically, it goes down when VIX goes up. It has a clause that basically says "in the case this moves a whole lot, we're going to SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING." because the way its structured means that if it moves too much then the risk is too high.

Yesterday the markets took a really big outlier dive. VIX has been really really low for a long time due to the market mostly moving up or sidways in a predictable fashion for years. The markets diving caused it to spike up really high. This means that XIV tanked a huge amount and hit its shutdown clause.
I have a lot of experience in the investment/securities industry and even then I still can't completely grasp how this XIV index is actually supposed to work. I get the overall idea, but still don't see where its asset value comes from. Every time I read explanations on how it's "supposed" to work I get flashbacks of those bizarre, overly-securitized CDOs (drummed up by "Financial Engineers", no less) that led to the 2007 financial crisis.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

melon cat posted:

I have a lot of experience in the investment/securities industry and even then I still can't completely grasp how this XIV index is actually supposed to work. I get the overall idea, but still don't see where its asset value comes from. Every time I read explanations on how it's "supposed" to work I get flashbacks of those bizarre, overly-securitized CDOs (drummed up by "Financial Engineers", no less) that led to the 2007 financial crisis.

Sounds like you understand it just fine.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've spent more on dumber poo poo than that.

Struensee posted:

Let me tell you about spending ~ 40k on a motorcycle that I barely used since 2008 instead of putting the money in the stock market.

And don’t even get me started on the rich mahogany!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

XIV just sounds like an option or synthetic option. I'll have to look into it when I'm not at work but if it's a derivative of a derivative I'd be pretty impressed. I wonder people feel about having large chunks of their net worth suddenly disappearing.

e: I know there's a lot of leveraged funds out there so I'm wondering what other dodgy ETFs will explode this year.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Depends on how long his mom grounds him from the computer and cell phone I guess.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-guy-lost-10000-trying-to-time-the-market-volatility-using-his-credit-card-2018-02-06

heh

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So we can just go on forums, lift some stories, and make ad revenue off it?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moneyball posted:

So we can just go on forums, lift some stories, and make ad revenue off it?
Places like Gawker have been doing that for a while now. Some of them might actually link the source, if you're lucky.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's really weird to me how many 'articles' are just a YouTube clip or forum post, or better yet a handful of embedded tweets.

I guess that's GWM because you save on actually creating content

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is this the gig economy I've heard so much about?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

On the way to work there's a left turn I have to make through a poorly designed intersection with no dedicated turn lights or lanes. Sometimes only one or two cars can make it through in a cycle which shits the lane up for everybody. I started avoid the left turn entirely by driving through some company's parking lot. It's longer but lets me drive through rather than turn at the same intersection, so it's usually a lot quicker.

Last winter I hit a curb or something buried in the snow and had to replace a rim that got hosed up. Today I did it again. BWM: spending $400 in wheels to save a couple minutes a day :smith:

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

melon cat posted:

I can't figure it out either. It sounds like its literally gambling on the volatility in the market which might as well just be gambling on the weather in Bosnia. It can't be that can it? And then who is taking the other side of these bets? Are any assets held at all?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

On the way to work there's a left turn I have to make through a poorly designed intersection with no dedicated turn lights or lanes. Sometimes only one or two cars can make it through in a cycle which shits the lane up for everybody. I started avoid the left turn entirely by driving through some company's parking lot. It's longer but lets me drive through rather than turn at the same intersection, so it's usually a lot quicker.

Last winter I hit a curb or something buried in the snow and had to replace a rim that got hosed up. Today I did it again. BWM: spending $400 in wheels to save a couple minutes a day :smith:

Don't do that in front of a cop, you'll have a ticket on top of the repair bills.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Don't do that in front of a cop, you'll have a ticket on top of the repair bills.

The property owner can throw a trespassing charge at you too, depending on circumstances. Happened to a college roommate.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ashcans posted:

It's really weird to me how many 'articles' are just a YouTube clip or forum post, or better yet a handful of embedded tweets.

I guess that's GWM because you save on actually creating content

I’m glad I’m not the only one annoyed by this. They don’t even attempt to talk to the person about it, it’s just lifting snippets from reddit. I hate new “journalism”.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
XIV

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

If that's not a Winklevoss twin...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That's a cheap manicure.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How much mascara does a person need?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'd want at least 22 because that's the bare minimum I need to cover my electricity and water bill apparently

man these altcoins are getting weird

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Virtue posted:

How much mascara does a person need?

Anyone that makes more than 4166.66 mascaras a year is rich.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How many mascaras for a horse?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How many mascaras for a horse?

Horse mascara is a whole different ball game. Those fuckers are picky.

Choose the wrong one and Freckles will break both his front legs just out of spite.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Didn't make-up used to be made out of horses or am I just thinking of glue?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hoodwinker posted:

Every part of the Horse but the whinny.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Butcher posted:

Horse mascara is a whole different ball game. Those fuckers are picky.

Choose the wrong one and Freckles will break both his front legs just out of spite.

Horse makeup is actually a thing.

Hoodwinker posted:

You're thinking of glue, but some makeup brushes are still made out of horse hair (along with paint brushes, hair brushes and violin bows).

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 7, 2018

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

Horse makeup is actually a thing.

Nothing money retarded about horses can surprise me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Luna Was Here posted:

Add a zero to everything

That isn't even a joke either

All the top Twitch streamers are male so maybe being attractive helps (in everything in life regardless of gender), but I'm skeptical of any suggestion that boobs help at the professional level. And as usual, it's a boys club at the top of an industry. Not an accident.