Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Jack Kirby introduced Arnim Zola in April 1977, originally he'd transferred his consciousness into an ugly robot body. The Lupin the Third episodes with Doctor Zell first aired in September 1978.

I didn't know. They're real similar. I wonder if the writer of that Lupin episode was aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was a big fan of Americanga, that's what they called it. They were also really into Anericanime like The Jetsons

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't know. They're real similar. I wonder if the writer of that Lupin episode was aware.

There was a LOT of crossover between American and Japanese media for a long time, especially with early manga.

Astroboy's creator was massively inspired by Disney after all and it kept that way for a while

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Ah, the family-friendly "streetwise 14-year-old foster kid," perhaps the most unbelievable fantasy character archetype there is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Synopsis for Shazam!
"We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word - Shazam! - this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart - inside a ripped, godlike body - Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong)."

https://www.newsarama.com/38497-warner-bros-s-shazam-synopsis-full-cast-list-revealed.html

This synopsis of a kids movie needs more specifics. Such as:

-will the ripped, godlike body be topless or naked at any point?
-are we going to see the ripped, godlike body oiled or at least sweaty?
-how many other ripped, godlike bodies will the film contain?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He turns into He-Man. We're never gonna escape the 80s.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He turns into He-Man. We're never gonna escape the 80s.

Don't worry. It'll last only as long as nostalgia for the Baby Boomer decades.

Oh GOD NO

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Andyzach/status/960609829369806849

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The dog's reaction couldn't be better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that he's already kind of forgotten how to do the Bane voice. It was a lot deeper and more gravely in TDKR, iirc, sort of like if Bale was mush-mouthed and British.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The dog's reaction couldn't be better.

That's what got me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nah, he still knows how to do the Bane voice. I know because he's still doing it on Peaky Blinders.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love that he's already kind of forgotten how to do the Bane voice. It was a lot deeper and more gravely in TDKR, iirc, sort of like if Bale was mush-mouthed and British.

Dark Knight Rises came out almost six years ago, I'm not sure "already" applies (and there was a poo poo-ton of processing applied to the voice after no one could understand a word he was saying in that prologue in front of Ghost Protocol).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Nah, he still knows how to do the Bane voice. I know because he's still doing it on Peaky Blinders.

He occasionally gives you a little "taste" of it in Taboo

(say Taboo in the Bane Voice)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He's doing the real Bane voice, and not the ADR'ed one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Remember Deadwood, that prestige TV show where the premise is that you can't understand anything that anyone is saying? And there was a character whose gimmick was "Chinese man who speaks English funny"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

But seriously folks, Tom Hardy is an international treasure and if the new Venom movie wastes him I'm going to be real mad

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Remember Deadwood, that prestige TV show where the premise is that you can't understand anything that anyone is saying? And there was a character whose gimmick was "Chinese man who speaks English funny"

this is a bad loving take and you need to go rewatch Deadwood right now

if the accents are that impenetrable to you, turn on subtitles

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Finally unboxed this lil guy in all the hype. This movie is going to be amazing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
But why would you or anyone buy a piece of garbage Funko pop?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I would assume he's excited about, and thus wants to own a totem from, Disney's Marvel's Black Panther

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ONLY AT WALMART

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

But why would you or anyone buy a piece of garbage Funko pop?

Some people like to adorn their personal spaces with decorations related to stuff they like. As figures go, a Funko Pop is waaaaay cheaper than anything Sideshow Collectibles makes and typically easier to find than NECA stuff, so for a lot of people they win by default.

I sort of wish Good Smile would make Nendoroids of Western stuff, because they're basically "Funko Pops but not lovely," right down to being at impulse-buy prices (unless you try to buy an old one after it's out of production, in which case holy loving lord, but that's not unique to them)

e: Funko Pops also target the "cheap impulse buy" market pretty hard; I've seen them near the checkout lines at Wal-Mart and Target pretty often.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 6, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
fun fact, anything you buy that doesn't directly help you live is a waste of money - me, a hit at parties

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ol yeller posted:

Finally unboxed this lil guy in all the hype. This movie is going to be amazing.

At least this has a distinctive mask, unlike all the other two dot faces.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Some people like to adorn their personal spaces with decorations related to stuff they like. As figures go, a Funko Pop is waaaaay cheaper than anything Sideshow Collectibles makes and typically easier to find than NECA stuff, so for a lot of people they win by default.

I sort of wish Good Smile would make Nendoroids of Western stuff, because they're basically "Funko Pops but not lovely," right down to being at impulse-buy prices (unless you try to buy an old one after it's out of production, in which case holy loving lord, but that's not unique to them)

e: Funko Pops also target the "cheap impulse buy" market pretty hard; I've seen them near the checkout lines at Wal-Mart and Target pretty often.

I have a Wind Waker Link nenderoid. Way more charming than any Funkopop.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Funko Pops at least jack you off right? That's the main appeal?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

Funko Pops at least jack you off right? That's the main appeal?

is it seriously that weird to you that someone who likes Black Panther would put a little vinyl Black Panther on their desk at work, or on their coffee table at home

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have a Wind Waker Link nenderoid. Way more charming than any Funkopop.

i'm seriously considering grabbing the ones they're doing of Popuko and Pipimi from Pop Team Epic

e:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2018

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is it seriously that weird to you that someone who likes Black Panther would put a little vinyl Black Panther on their desk at work, or on their coffee table at home

TOYS are for loving CHILDREN you nerd!!!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It would be less weird if it gave you a nice automated tug after a particularly grueling afternoon of meetings is all I'm saying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean I don't see it as pathological until you start making a literal treaty with your wife to control your FunkoPop buying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

It would be less weird if it gave you a nice automated tug after a particularly grueling afternoon of meetings is all I'm saying.

no i'm pretty sure a 3-inch vinyl Marvel character jacking me off would be more weird, not less

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

porfiria posted:

M'funko

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if you really like a character you'd spend more money on an actual cool figure of them

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, maybe he's waiting to see if the movie is actually good before making that level of investment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MacheteZombie posted:

fun fact, anything you buy that doesn't directly help you live is a waste of money - me, a hit at parties

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

if you really like a character you'd spend more money on an actual cool figure of them

Lol, good joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't like Funkopops much because they have creepy beady eyes and look weird but anything that is fully masked/face covered/etc tends to look okay.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol, good joke.

I do not joke on the importance of only owning cool looking figures, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like Funkopops much because they have creepy beady eyes and look weird but anything that is fully masked/face covered/etc tends to look okay.

Yeah you're right. Their moon knight is quite decent.....I've heard (seriously if you look for pretty much any superhero on Amazon the Funko stuff is right there at the top) You have to like that precious moments style tho