Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

The Bolt will do the same under the eco setting, iirc.

Drop the Bolt into “L” and grab hold of the steering wheel regen button, and it will stop relatively quickly. That said, the steering wheel regen button does kinda have this annoying half-second delay which I couldn’t get used to on the test drive, and it’s not as easy to vary as the pedal.

I liked it for what it’s worth, but still haven’t driven the “best” according to the car mags which is the i3, nor the car I can never afford, the Model S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Is the Bolt regen in "L" plus the wheel button stronger than just the wheel button in D? I didn't try much in L, but was super impressed by the deceleration just with the button in D. Kinda figured it was maximum since it was basically a reasonably smooth driver's natural maximum stopping force.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

The Tesla Roadster is now the world’s fastest production car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c&t=2032s

Wheee!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jesus gently caress, the two boosters landing in formation while a roadster is cruising in space. The most [img-descending-shades-deal-with-it] ever done in space.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
those panel gaps tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I guess it's just the sensation of it and that it mixes in friction brakes seamlessly.

Prius has done that for over twenty years. Why's it weird/special/worth mentioning in newer EVs?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

I wish there was a higher res version of this. Great desktop wallpaper.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Prius has done that for over twenty years. Why's it weird/special/worth mentioning in newer EVs?

I don't know! Bjørn has tried a lot of cars and he seemed particularly impressed with this one.

Why is one pedal driving a new term at all if the Prius has done it for twenty years?

E: Looked it up, you have a mode to switch between coast or regen and if the battery is full it ICE engine brakes. Doesn't mix in the brakes at all, even if perhaps OCD Prius owners say they don't touch the pedal.

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 7, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Prius doesn’t do one‐pedal driving.

There is regen if you lift off the accelerator in D (optional in the newest ones), but it’s minor.

It’s the brake pedal that gives a mix of regen and friction braking.

But it’s not really seamless. It uses regen exclusively, except when it can’t, including under heavy braking, when the battery is full or hot, and at very low speeds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The Prius doesn’t do one‐pedal driving.

There is regen if you lift off the accelerator in D (optional in the newest ones), but it’s minor.

It’s the brake pedal that gives a mix of regen and friction braking.

But it’s not really seamless. It uses regen exclusively, except when it can’t, including under heavy braking, when the battery is full or hot, and at very low speeds.

It does feel more like a manual with a heavy flywheel than a torque converter auto when you lift off the accelerator pedal though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Alpenglow posted:

Is the Bolt regen in "L" plus the wheel button stronger than just the wheel button in D? I didn't try much in L, but was super impressed by the deceleration just with the button in D. Kinda figured it was maximum since it was basically a reasonably smooth driver's natural maximum stopping force.

It wasn’t too significant, and the with the button engaged it may have been the same overall deceleration between L and D. It could be that I just “felt” like it was stronger due to the initial hit from L mode. :shrug:

My butt dyno is pretty drat inaccurate, so I could be remembering it wrong.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The Bolt will decelerate at 0.12G in full regen, the Leaf does it at 0.2G, iirc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The S doesn’t generally regenerate to a complete stop, which is fine with me, but it also doesn’t do the thing the i3 does where regen force is simulated by friction brakes when the battery is too full or cold to regen at the normal rate. I would really like that so that my car doesn’t drive materially differently depending on the weather.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

drgitlin posted:

The Bolt will decelerate at 0.12G in full regen, the Leaf does it at 0.2G, iirc.

Is that full regen in L mode or full regen in L with the paddle held down?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ClassH posted:

Is that full regen in L mode or full regen in L with the paddle held down?

According to this article its .3g with L and the paddle.

Drive mode (mildest regen <.2g’s)
Drive mode using Regen on Demand paddle
Low mode
Low mode plus using Regen on Demand paddle (strongest regen ~.3g’s)

https://insideevs.com/exclusive-inside-the-chevrolet-bolt-with-its-chief-engineer-new-details/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Subjunctive posted:

The S doesn’t generally regenerate to a complete stop, which is fine with me, but it also doesn’t do the thing the i3 does where regen force is simulated by friction brakes when the battery is too full or cold to regen at the normal rate. I would really like that so that my car doesn’t drive materially differently depending on the weather.

Yep. I actually kind of hate taking my car out after I have to do a full charge for a longer drive. The first 20 minutes is spent reminding myself that I need to really use the brake, not just let off the accelerator. Couple that with I only fully charge about once or twice a month. ugh. cmon Tesla.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

silicone thrills posted:

Yep. I actually kind of hate taking my car out after I have to do a full charge for a longer drive. The first 20 minutes is spent reminding myself that I need to really use the brake, not just let off the accelerator. Couple that with I only fully charge about once or twice a month. ugh. cmon Tesla.

This is especially true after a supercharger stop and 100% fill up.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Yeahhh, I got my first speeding ticket because of this with my Leaf.

Whooooops going 50 on a downhill, used to regen keeping me at ~37 lollllll

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just got an email from Tesla advising me that my production estimate has been pushed. My reservation now says March-May 2018.

Damnit.

(Dual motor and standard range estimates are now just "Late 2018," for anyone interested in those.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Good lord. By that timetable the Bolt will have been widely available for an entire year before the first base Model 3 rolls off the line. And even the long range Leaf might beat it to market.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

MrYenko posted:

Just got an email from Tesla advising me that my production estimate has been pushed. My reservation now says March-May 2018.

Damnit.

(Dual motor and standard range estimates are now just "Late 2018," for anyone interested in those.)

Yeah mine was pushed to July-Sep and I'm planning on getting the more expensive one :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agronox posted:

Good lord. By that timetable the Bolt will have been widely available for an entire year before the first base Model 3 rolls off the line. And even the long range Leaf might beat it to market.

Yeah, the 3 isn't going to go in the win column for Tesla.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw the first Model 3 I've seen in the wild last weekend and I live in San Francisco. Bolts and Volts and Leafs and i3s and Models S and X are so common they barely even register.

They definitely kinda hosed up this entry.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a shame none of us will live long enough to see T'la finally return to Earth, on its mission to learn all there is to learn, and return that information to its creator.

RoboMusk v5.7 will of course be there to greet the returning vehicle and its brave and stoic pilot, a gleaming LCD tear in the corner of his eyepiece.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the 3 isn't going to go in the win column for Tesla.
It will, it'll just be next year's tables.

Mine got pushed (Mar-May 2018 / late 2018 / late 2018) as well.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a shame none of us will live long enough to see T'la finally return to Earth, on its mission to learn all there is to learn, and return that information to its creator.

RoboMusk v5.7 will of course be there to greet the returning vehicle and its brave and stoic pilot, a gleaming LCD tear in the corner of his eyepiece.

Please, Jeff Bezos is going to capture it and hang it as a war trophy in the lobby of Amazon HQ.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

blugu64 posted:

Please, Jeff Bezos is going to capture it and hang it as a war trophy in the lobby of Amazon HQ.

I wouldn't put it past him.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My dad just sent me this:

quote:

*ELECTRIC CAR ** it makes you wonder**… *

*Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those
things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms
of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it.
This is the first article I’ve ever seen and tells the story pretty much as
I expected it to.*

*Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet
they’re being shoved down our throats… Glad somebody finally put
engineering and math to paper. *

At a neighborhood B B Q I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro
executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed,
then got serious. If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he
pointed out, you had to face certain realities. For example, a home
charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is
equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25
homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than 3
houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric
vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles... Our
residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected
officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy the
drat things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with
expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate
our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed
until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with
an 'OOPS!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are
eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green person,
read it anyway. It’s enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General
Motors … and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery
lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline
engine.” Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran
on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16
kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4-1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph.
Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of
14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging
time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The
cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked
up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount
used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to
charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile
to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car
with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by
32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $15,000 while the Volt
costs $46,000… So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do
the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more
than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive
across the country.

*Hurry, there is a sales person somewhere wanting to lure you into an
electric car.*

So conservatives hate electric cars because electricity costs $1.16 per kwh and premium mid size cars which are not electric cost more than economy sub-compact cars. Also we are going to crash the power grid because electric cars need to continuously draw 75 amps.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Who's paying $1.16/kwh?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Three Olives posted:

My dad just sent me this:

So conservatives hate electric cars because electricity costs $1.16 per kwh and premium mid size cars which are not electric cost more than economy sub-compact cars. Also we are going to crash the power grid because electric cars need to continuously draw 75 amps.

That one is definitely going around the old people circles since my grandpa, who doesn't normally send me those kinds of e-mails, forwarded it to me too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kastivich posted:

Who's paying $1.16/kwh?

Electricity in Texas costs $.028/Kwh because, get this, wind energy is so goddamn cheap and plentiful in Texas it has pushed the market down. It's cheaper than the second cheapest energy in Texas, natural gas and we also produce shitloads of cheap natural gas.

Also if electricity cost $1.16/kwh the average home electric bill would be like $1,400 a month so no.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Funny how you must have 75 amps to charge a Tesla, but can only charge a Volt on 15. I wonder what rear end in a top hat made that up.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I will always stand in awe at how corporate interests tricked the common idiot into doing their PR for them, for free, usually against the person's own best interests.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
That email doesn't contain a single correct number...

But people eat this type of poo poo up unfortunately.

And $1.16kWh?! My last power bill would have been $3,402 at that price. It costs me $1.30 to charge my Volt at home. Gas would have to at least be that per gallon to reach break-even point.

Edit: Gas would have to be around $1.30 per gallon to break even with electric in the winter, and more like 70 cents per gallon in the summer.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 8, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Everything about it is complete nonsense but the thing that gets me is that there is plenty of completely legitimate criticism that you throw against electric cars down to literal child slave labor and what they came up with electricity costs absurdly more money than it actually costs which anyone can easily check by looking at their electric bill?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I just looked and my most recent bill here in the Expensive Everything State of CA was $.15/kWh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah even in Canada mine ranges from $0.07 to $0.13 Canadian per kWh. Costs me less than $6 to fully charge my P90D.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Mine is 9 cents per KWh. That email is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Everything about it is complete nonsense but the thing that gets me is that there is plenty of completely legitimate criticism that you throw against electric cars down to literal child slave labor and what they came up with electricity costs absurdly more money than it actually costs which anyone can easily check by looking at their electric bill?

This child/slave labour thing has been bandied about, as if the fact there's child miners in Uganda or whatever is the reason not to buy an electric car, but for some reason it's not enough of a reason to not buy prawns or t-shirts or food or jewellery or basically anything that doesn't have a documented supply chain that you've personally extensively researched. It seems like an argument of convenience used to justify a personally held belief, which is a pretty lovely thing to do when you're taking about child and slave labour. Not that anyone would do that. Like, if there weren't kids working in Ugandan mines, would naysayers suddenly embrace electric cars, like that was all that was holding them back? Of course not. There would be something else. Birds getting hit by windmills. Moose getting tangled in high tension lines. And the fact that there's still kids working in other mines, and plenty of slave labour in the gulf, well who gives a poo poo right? As long as there's no electric cars.

• Locked thread