Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Everybody in Tackleford is aware that they are being watched at all times, has taken an Intro to Theatre class, and that is why they always play everything "open" to the audience/camera.

I mean, how else do you explain Shelley and Amy's unique gymnastics? (I think that's my favorite guest comic ever; to this day I admire that Allison would willfully publish such a scathing takedown of...pretty much his whole steeze, to that point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JethroMcB posted:

I mean, how else do you explain Shelley and Amy's unique gymnastics?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal has a pretty funny one today & I thought this would be the thread to share that appreciation. They have some good funnies from time to time!
https://smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=1774

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sengupta raises a good point.

Also not sure why Zebus (what kind of name is Zebus?) is dressed like Hbomberguy for causal wear, but it amuses me.

Also, I called it with Giant Days #35! Lottie is confirmed! Weird to see her in someone else's art style for a change.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, Georgia's parents are terrible at raising kids.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sengupta raises a good point.

Also not sure why Zebus (what kind of name is Zebus?) is dressed like Hbomberguy for causal wear, but it amuses me.

Also, I called it with Giant Days #35! Lottie is confirmed! Weird to see her in someone else's art style for a change.

Little known Hbomb trivia his real name is actually Zebus

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Lottie's "J'Accuse!" finger always makes me laugh.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love these next generation Tackleford kids. Really charming.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
where have all the webcomics gone

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

true leftist posted:

where have all the webcomics gone

There's plenty, but besides the most popular ones getting their own threads spun off, I think a lot of them just don't quite have the critical level of readers in this thread to get consistently discussed.

So hey, here's a few that you might not have tried. I found most of them through this very thread!

I've been following Awful Hospital since it came up in the thread quite a while back. It's a suggestion-driven adventure game comic, like many formed in the wake of Homestuck, but it's got a really unique setting consisting of the space of all possible ideas and concepts.
Fern finally made it into the Maternity Ward and, in true adventure game style, is taking everything that isn't nailed down. Also had a run-in with a nasty dolphin.
I wonder how the comic's approach to combat with regularly updating the one fight page gels with the concept that "layers" of time in-universe correspond to pages outside of it. There's a lot going on in the concepts of this story, but despite all the weirdness it's fairly easy to understand the basic structure of the setting, and that's pretty cool.

A Better Place came up not vastly long ago. A preteen girl is given the power to remake the world as she likes - and after the prologue, the comic starts countless years into her reign, where she has absolutely no handle on the situation without having any idea it got away from her long ago. I like the way it's managed to get so much conflict with nobody having selfish motives (barring one character whose motives are still unclear). It's also not lost on me that the most villainous of the cast are the ones directly created by Hannah, rather than just people living in her world.

Blindsprings is a fantasy comic about the conflict between academic wizards and priests making deals with fairies. It's got a very cute art style, which is what really draws me to it. I feel like it's about time the comic introduced something on the broader scale to give the story a sense of urgency, though. As it is we're thrown into a setting where clearly a lot of bad stuff is happening but it doesn't feel to me like there's really stakes yet. Maybe this will come in time. Or maybe I'm just forgetting details of the plot so far.

Cassiopeia Quinn is a silly goofy space adventure. I always find it hard to really say much about the plots because they're very saturday morning cartoon stuff; there's no real bite to them, but they're always fun to read.

I feel like I'm going to need to reread this scene in Demon Street once it's over. We're clearly not meant to understand entirely what's going on, but I think I should be picking up more than I am. The comic is about children trapped in some sort of hell-world where everyone wants to get their hands on their names.

I got the impression from the earlier discussion that El Goonish Shive is a guilty pleasure for more thread posters than most of us thought. It might be about to really shake up the basis of magic in the setting, though I have my doubts. If nothing else I don't think the author is going to take the comic away from the original ideas he was coming up with as a teenager like many are hoping.

Anyone else reading Go Get A Roomie? It's a rather sweet romance story, where two young women struggling with trauma learn to love again. I don't care so much for all the extended cast's sex antics though. I don't object to it, but it's not titillating enough to survive on that merit and I don't feel it contributes much to the story otherwise. This comic can sometimes slip into just the author showing off how worldly she is in my view.

Everything in Monster Pulse is still going to hell. If you don't know what it is, it's about a bunch of kids who have had parts of their bodies separated and turned into basically digimon. We're in the aftermath of a big climactic confrontation and it's a little unclear how much story is left here, but what is clear is that everything is Lulenski's fault. All of it. Even the stuff that happened before she was around.

The Property of Hate has a similar sort of setting to Awful Hospital above, where the world is populated by ideas and concepts. This is a very different kind of story, though, with a child being dragged through a hero's quest largely against their will. For some reason I'm sure it was established the child is a girl but I can't for the life of me find when or how. Their gender isn't relevant but it kind of bugs me that I can't remember if that's a real fact.

Scurry reached its next chapter break. It's a post-apocalyptic comic about the lives of the animals after the humans left. Another one where the current state is "everything is going to hell" with all the characters separated and in mortal peril.

Snow By Night is a fantasy story set in colonial Canada, though it's a ersatz version with all the names made up. I'm never quite sure what the setting's approach to women's rights is. It's clearly normal for women in this world to hold ranking positions in the army but outside of that life for women doesn't seem much different to life for women in this period in real life, so it's a little hard to see where the line is drawn. Maybe the creators just wanted the excuse to have more female characters. I'm not complaining.

I really wish Sylvania updated more frequently. I love the concept - it's basically about witches attempting to colonise Mars. The characters are fun to read and I look forward to seeing how this core cast of four interact as their mission unfolds. Currently, though, they've barely started.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I regularly follow

Oglaf - NSFW funnies

Awkward Zombie - Videogame webcomic but good

Whomp! - Not good most of the time, read it most out of habit. Once in a while lands a banger.

Camp Weedonwancha Pretty loving great, but that schedule up there is full of lies

DeathBulge Funny comic that's actually funny

BunnyMeat Real, often poignant stories with a slight hint of dark humor

Check, Please! Slice of Life + Boy's Love + Hockey

Nhoj Funnies, often with a surreal/4th Wall Break edge

Jim Benton Comics Funnies. Link to Tumblr because his actual website is pretty terrible but feel free to choose either

False Knees Almost sure this was the inspiration for the "2017 webcomics: sad bird says something, there is no punchline" tweet

Eat More Bikes Funnies again. Tumblr again.

Jake Likes Onions Funnies? Funnies.

Lee Gatlin Comics Varied funnies. Tumblr.

Poorly Drawn Lines Funnies but this time not on Tumblr!

Woman's World Every single man died, women gotta figure it out. Humorous.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot

Tenebrais posted:

So hey, here's a few that you might not have tried. I found most of them through this very thread!
wow this is great, thank you! <3

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tenebrais posted:

Blindsprings is a fantasy comic about the conflict between academic wizards and priests making deals with fairies. It's got a very cute art style, which is what really draws me to it. I feel like it's about time the comic introduced something on the broader scale to give the story a sense of urgency, though. As it is we're thrown into a setting where clearly a lot of bad stuff is happening but it doesn't feel to me like there's really stakes yet. Maybe this will come in time. Or maybe I'm just forgetting details of the plot so far.

i just finished a re-read the other day. i think all needed the details are there to start putting the pressure on, the cast just hasn't explicitly put together what's happening yet

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m beginning to suspect the correct answer is “gently caress both factions with a rusty spoon” because nether side, between a gaggle of paranoid facist child slavers and fae who have on more than one occasion made their disappointment in their faustian bargains being too utilitarian (and are also into child abductions but thats fae for you), sounds entirely great.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Samuringa posted:

Check, Please! Slice of Life + Boy's Love + Hockey

This was really sweet and extremely good.

I think this was also a really excellent time to read it all. So invested in Year 4 now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Android Blues posted:

I love these next generation Tackleford kids. Really charming.

I don't! I'm hoping they turn out to be cannon fodder for the horrors of Wendlefield, so the Proper mystery kids can get on and do stuff.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's good to hear that Ed survived that fall. I'm a bit wary of Lottie appearing in Giant Days, considering how the series likes to remove the whimsy of SGR and show the characters as being terrible in GD.

As an aside, it still bugs me that there's still no issue in Giant Days that deals with how Susan successfully stole McGraw from Emilia. There was that issue where McGraw tried apologizing for it, but there's really been no fallout for Susan there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't Lottie about 9 at this point? Little kids are allowed to be terrible.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’m beginning to suspect the correct answer is “gently caress both factions with a rusty spoon” because nether side, between a gaggle of paranoid facist child slavers and fae who have on more than one occasion made their disappointment in their faustian bargains being too utilitarian (and are also into child abductions but thats fae for you), sounds entirely great.

yeah, it doesn't look like the acadamists were entirely wrong to overthrow the spirit backed magical monarchy, but at the same time there's that whole no spirits->no magic->no life issue looming under everything

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I don't! I'm hoping they turn out to be cannon fodder for the horrors of Wendlefield, so the Proper mystery kids can get on and do stuff.

counterpoint: the mystery kids all kinda sucked when they were introduced, if the new kids have a similar rate of improvement they will grow to be legendary.

Also, things sure took a turn in Skybox. :stare:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pistol_Pete posted:

I doubt it. I think Allison is making preparations for the 'graduation disaster' of the OG Mystery kids going off to uni, so that if SGR does continue in some way, it will have a new set of teen adventurers. You could always console yourself that in 10 years or so, Cecile & Humphrey's time will come.

Actually I wonder if we'll see the Wendlefield mystery kids in some way shape or form.

amigolupus posted:

It's good to hear that Ed survived that fall. I'm a bit wary of Lottie appearing in Giant Days, considering how the series likes to remove the whimsy of SGR and show the characters as being terrible in GD.

As an aside, it still bugs me that there's still no issue in Giant Days that deals with how Susan successfully stole McGraw from Emilia. There was that issue where McGraw tried apologizing for it, but there's really been no fallout for Susan there.

She's only probably going to be in this one issue, I think. I imagine this issue's going to be a bit more lighthearted after the whole...wall...incident.

Also I recall that Esther did call out Susan for her emotional thievery.

Dabir posted:

She should probably be 10 or 11 at this point. She's a summer baby, plus Bad Machinery (which started with Shauna turning 12 in the first arc) took place 3 years after the end of Scary Go Round, while Giant Days is taking place in that 3 year span, so...yeah.

Also Lottie is the Best. :colbert:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dabir posted:

Fair enough. It's just that Giant Days is a bit more realistic, so a character's quirks might come across worse.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also I recall that Esther did call out Susan for her emotional thievery.

The scene where Esther called out Susan was pretty weak though. Susan turned it around on Esther by calling her a traitor for being secretly friends with Emilia. After that Susan won Esther over by framing her affair with McGraw like it was a thrilling 1940s forbidden romance and any tension was quickly dropped.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Scaramouche posted:

Little known Hbomb trivia his real name is actually Zebus

I think Hbomb was born in the north*, too. It tracks.

(*I was born, raised and am currently resident in Scotland, but still refer to the north of England as "the North". ?????)

Tenebrais posted:

The gravers arriving in town was exactly this. The problem is Blindsprings updates so slowly every scene is stretched out over months of real time.

Daughter of the Lilies: So is it just me or does the whole thing with the villagers chasing Thistle out of town seem a little... extreme? She's, like, a fairly attractive woman with bat-ears on? That's maybe unusual, but not "what is this horrifying nightmare beast from beyond space???". Orrig looks a hundred times the monster. Are we talking just stratospheric levels of racism or what.

I mean, I'm still 100% on board with the comic, whatever.

Floraverse: I kind of want to have a conversation about Floraverse but simultaneously do not want to have a conversation about Floraverse. Is anyone else reading it?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Floraverse disappeared up its creators rear end awhile ago and I just want to know the story of the little bird thing and its seeds.

Or maybe it's gotten better, I gave up on it several months back.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 7, 2018

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think Hbomb was born in the north*, too. It tracks.

(*I was born, raised and am currently resident in Scotland, but still refer to the north of England as "the North". ?????)

The gravers arriving in town was exactly this. The problem is Blindsprings updates so slowly every scene is stretched out over months of real time.

Daughter of the Lilies: So is it just me or does the whole thing with the villagers chasing Thistle out of town seem a little... extreme? She's, like, a fairly attractive woman with bat-ears on? That's maybe unusual, but not "what is this horrifying nightmare beast from beyond space???". Orrig looks a hundred times the monster. Are we talking just stratospheric levels of racism or what.

Floraverse: I kind of want to have a conversation about Floraverse but simultaneously do not want to have a conversation about Floraverse. Is anyone else reading it?

I kinda don't know where to start with Floraverse.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I think the issue is that A.The townsfolk didn't realize it was Thistle/Rose until after they'd chased her out of town with torches and pitchforks. and B. Cave elves being seen as human-sized cannibal vermin, so not good to have around no matter how cute they are. It has been implied orcs get poo poo on, too, but I guess they're not prone to man-eating.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

1) She also has claws and big pointy teeth
2) She was found standing over a baby
3) Her 'species' is known to eat humans

So, yeah, the villagers freaked out and assumed she was going to eat the baby and chased her out of town. Even yelling 'hey, it's me, the person you guys know!' wasn't enough. It's worth noting that the two people who knew she saved the baby are a lot more understanding. Apparently they've not spoken up for her, though.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Is this a furry comic or what

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
blindspring isn't really my thing (not a criticism, just personal taste) but i read through the whole archive just for the spirit-quail :3:

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
lol at the black character being named street though, and "help wanted, no magics need apply!" signs

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

World Famous W posted:

Floraverse disappeared up its creators rear end awhile ago and I just want to know the story of the little bird thing and its seeds.

Or maybe it's gotten better, I gave up on it several months back.

Eh. If floraverse was literally just Seeds it wouldn't be bad, but I doubt I'd be half as interested in it as I am. A decade of being an enormous weeb has made me the exact target audience for this poo poo.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I kinda don't know where to start with Floraverse.

Reading it? It's not as big of a mess as it first appears. There's a guide, but the easy answer is start here and keep hitting next. Never click "next by date", that is a trap. You can skip This Means War, that doesn't have much to do with anything. Do not do what I did the first time and try to skip straight from Seeds to Seeds: War is Hell, you are skipping the actual meat of the story. Seeds is just a... whatever the opposite of a frame story is.

mycot posted:

Is this a furry comic or what

...I don't think so? Nobody has those enormous dog snouts furries like to put on everything. Seriously, what is with furries and snouts, I don't get it.

It's about as furry as Lackadaisy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Prologue I"

Okay. Having a prologue is never a good sign for pacing, but having several prologues? I'm scared.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I know nothing about Floraverse except a friend told me not to read it because the author was a creep or something. But I don't know details.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
By the time the comic had moved from large rear end world building character sheet dumps to straight up just the author insert rambling it became clear the story that first caught my eyes was never getting finished.

Also, it is furry as all hell, let us not lie now.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bobulus posted:

I know nothing about Floraverse except a friend told me not to read it because the author was a creep or something. But I don't know details.

Yeah, kiwifarms seems to think she's a paedophile, but, well, it's kiwifarms. That's almost evidence against.

Other, saner people seem to agree that she's a generally unpleasant human being. I dunno, I've never interacted with the woman :shrug:

World Famous W posted:

large rear end world building character sheet dumps

Never even glanced at them :smug:

World Famous W posted:

Also, it is furry as all hell, let us not lie now.

No snouts. No snouts.

case closed :colbert:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nah it's a furry comic mate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When I make a comic I'm going to make all the characters human, then as soon as you're all invested I'm reuploading all the pages to retroactively make them dogs with big snouts.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
My webcomic is gonna have humans with snouts

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Eh. If floraverse was literally just Seeds it wouldn't be bad, but I doubt I'd be half as interested in it as I am. A decade of being an enormous weeb has made me the exact target audience for this poo poo.

Reading it? It's not as big of a mess as it first appears. There's a guide, but the easy answer is start here and keep hitting next. Never click "next by date", that is a trap. You can skip This Means War, that doesn't have much to do with anything. Do not do what I did the first time and try to skip straight from Seeds to Seeds: War is Hell, you are skipping the actual meat of the story. Seeds is just a... whatever the opposite of a frame story is.

...I don't think so? Nobody has those enormous dog snouts furries like to put on everything. Seriously, what is with furries and snouts, I don't get it.

It's about as furry as Lackadaisy.

Oh, I got through all of it, I just don't know where to start talking about it, other than why god are they going back to turf tigers and this time it's all text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, it seems that befouling Wendlefield's waterways is a proud Tackleford tradition?

Also, Lottie was on top form in Giant Days, but that's not a surprise.