Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crawl is great for coop though it's local only IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Hey has anyone tried the Necrodancer co-op?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Stop. Really? I wonder how well that'll play without a mouse. I never finished the first though I enjoyed the 30 hours I played of it. All I managed to do in that time was get to the main city. It's such a massive game.

Yup! Which I’m happy about. Long RPG games and games with grinding on handhelds has always been my preferred way of playing them

ufarn
May 30, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the best MK
Pretty sure they want their friendship to last through the month.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

goferchan posted:

How soon is the birthday? Bayonetta 2 has really fun co-op and it's out in a couple weeks

It's this weekend but he's a good buddy so not like I can't get him games outside of the occasion.

I considered MK8 Deluxe esp since I already have it buuuuuut there's not really coop right? I can only beat my friend into the ground so many times in a game before they don't want to play me anymore.

e: This

ufarn posted:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If anyone is looking forward to Pillars of Eternity 2 it’ll be coming to the switch this holiday season

There's my crpg for the switch, but god drat that'll be a long wait. They could port Torment in a slice of that time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dandara trip report:

Good looking.

Good (so far) control feels.

Great music.

Imagine the dash move from Celeste being your only move and you snap to surfaces. Also you can shoot poo poo, but have to charge up your shot so plan accordingly.

Heavy inspiration from Dark Souls and Metroidvanias. (Challenging. Death loses all your “salt” and you must return to your corpse (and not die on the way) to get it back. Abilities and/or unlocks open up new ways and shortcuts.)

The “needs to be improved”:

Since gravity and level orientation has no set position, the map screen needs to be better. It is bare bones and stationary. Even just having the player represented on the map screen would help with knowing what door you were standing next to. Even better if the player icon on the map was an arrow where the arrow point was the head.

Some indication where on the map your loving corpse is.

Great game tho!!!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I was thinking about how you lose your resources on death and how that makes people think "hard like Dark Souls" but honestly it makes the game EASIER than a Super Metroid style save-point system because when you die all your other progress is still saved even if you don't manage to make it to your corpse alive

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is the dragonball smash game coming to switch yet

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Yeah, I died to the first real boss and was relieved to have only dropped some salt, since I had just spent most of it on upgrades anyway. Only real sticking point for me at the moment is the map system, but Dandara's definitely cool and has good music.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

I had a lot of fun as an archer. An archer-only archer. As in, if you can't kill it with a bow or a crossbow, you can't kill it.

This leads to a lot of interesting awkwardness early game when ammo is short, combined with feeling like an absolute baller once you can summon a bound bow (with its own arrows).

Bonus points if, after getting bound bow, you sell all your regular bows, contract vampirism, and happen to not have enough mana to cast bound bow when exposed to the sunlight.

It led to a lot of Benny Hill style moments of me finding some bandit-packed ruins during the daytime then running around with a tail of baddies in tow until I could find an entrance, hop inside, summon my bow, then come out and murder.

For 60 seconds. Then at some point, poof! Gotta find shelter again.

I am glad you enjoy this but there's no way I'm not just gonna pull out my hammer and smash if I end up in that situation.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If anyone is looking forward to Pillars of Eternity 2 it’ll be coming to the switch this holiday season

Do you need to play the 1st one to understand the 2nd one?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ufarn posted:

Hey now. The first date I had with my wife was playing SNES Mario Kart and we still play MK8 on our WiiU regularly.

What I'm getting at is, maybe he'll end up marrying his friend because of MK8!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The map in Dandara seems really cool so far, with zones that overlap and intersect with each other in some interesting ways and some really hard, scary spots you can venture into that give off a real effective "you're not supposed to be here" vibe. I also kind of appreciate that there's no fast travel yet (I assume it'll be unlocked eventually because of the ???? menu option when resting at campsites) because it makes venturing deep into unknown territory feel like more of an adventure. Game is definitely growing on me so far

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
Has anyone heard any rumblings about a new iteration of the Pro controller?

A lot of places online have been selling them for $60 in the last week or so. Seemed suspicious, like they're trying to dump inventory.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Wildtortilla posted:

Hey now. The first date I had with my wife was playing SNES Mario Kart and we still play MK8 on our WiiU regularly.

What I'm getting at is, maybe he'll end up marrying his friend because of MK8!

My friend is already married, it's his wife buying him the Switch. I can confirm as I was in the wedding party.

And I can also confirm that in college, my ability to demolish him in all videogames seriously threatened our ongoing friendship. Fifa 12 was a serious test, we didn't speak for a week or so and we lived in adjoining rooms.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I am glad you enjoy this but there's no way I'm not just gonna pull out my hammer and smash if I end up in that situation.

The biggest reason I put SOOOOO MANY hours into Skyrim was playing a new character with hard restrictions. It really opens up the world in a weird way.

My favorites:
-Conjuration only
-Familiar only (high sneak)
-Unarmed/Alteration/no armor Monk
-Illusion/no weapon "pacifist" (my all time favorite)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I didn't mean to directly conflate Dandara with Dark Souls. Just that it has some of that "go get your poo poo back, or lose it!" feel. As well as being pretty challenging, and having shortcuts you can open up. :)

Oh man that room with all the turning circles and all the shooty Eldarians is loving my poo poo up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah this game's pretty loving hard. poo poo gets real after you beat the first boss and cross the big floating bridge, you go from dealing with dumb rear end dog men shooting slow fireballs at you to enormous lasers that track your movement and take off 4 hearts in a single hit lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Super late to the bandwagon because I’ve been out of town but I just binged the main story of Celeste and the gameplay + music were out of the loving park awesome.

Such good platforming, drat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[ed] DOY THIS IS NOT PS4 THREAD [/ed]

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well that makes it a purchase.

I tried playing the first pillars, but I found I just did not have the time and a lovely computer chair did not help. It will be much easier to play on the switch.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Pharohman777 posted:

Well that makes it a purchase.

I tried playing the first pillars, but I found I just did not have the time and a lovely computer chair did not help. It will be much easier to play on the switch.

Supposedly it will have less trash fights, and less playtime but richer content. Count me in if that's true.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Do you need to play the 1st one to understand the 2nd one?

Pillars 2 is as much sequel as sequel can be: same main character, returning companions, a hook that is made more powerful knowing PE1...

That said, the developers of these games usually put a lot of thought into making their games accessible and I would be surprised if there wasn't some way to quickly go through the story, chose important actions and then jump in. Barring That, I would also find it surprising if they don't take into account newcomers in any way at all. Maybe other goons know if there's some sort of system for people in your situation.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know its expecting too much, but I hope there's a Breath of the Wild Link npc added to the Pillars 2 port.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
http://nintendoeverything.com/kirby-star-allies-primarily-runs-at-30-frames-per-second/

That seems... odd? :raise:

How does Kirby of all things not hit 60?

And yes, preemptively, I get it, some of you don't care about framerate

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Macaluso posted:

http://nintendoeverything.com/kirby-star-allies-primarily-runs-at-30-frames-per-second/

Simulating Kirby’s complex digestive system requires a lot of processing power.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I thought somebody said it was being made in Unity, but maybe that was Yoshi.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

I thought somebody said it was being made in Unity, but maybe that was Yoshi.

Yoshi is UE4. I don't think they've said which engine Kirby uses, but as far as I know HAL Laboratory has always used custom engines.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've had my Switch since launch but today was the day I decided to try taking it out of its dock. I played Zelda in bed for a while and it was pretty good and comfortable to hold.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've had my Switch since launch but today was the day I decided to try taking it out of its dock. I played Zelda in bed for a while and it was pretty good and comfortable to hold.

Holy poo poo you've literally never played it in handheld mode before? :aaaaa:

Mine hasn't touched the dock since day 1. I don't even have it hooked up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I vastly prefer playing it docked but it's still real nice to be able to grab it and keep playing if I need to move.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Whenever I play in handheld mode I find myself admiring the hardware every time. I simply cannot believe Nintendo put out a piece of hardware that actually looks like a modern electronic device and not like a Fisher Price toy.

I think it’s that matte finish on the screen. (Thank god I didn’t accidentally strip mine off!)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Macaluso posted:

Probably HAL not being too good at optimization and the fact there are 4 players playing. And unlike in Return to Dreamland, you're required to have buddies in play at certain points in levels instead of being able to solo the entire game. Planet Robobot had quite a few slowdown issues if you played on a normal 3DS. They still occurred on a new 3DS, but not as often. Optimization issues combined with that aspect probably caused HAL to knock things down to 30. Hopefully it's stable at the very least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish the 3D games didn't look like garbage in handheld mode to me. 2D ones look fantastic but Mario and Zelda just looked vaguely muddy and bad.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Hey has anyone tried the Necrodancer co-op?

I have, it's pretty fun, but if you aren't in tune with your buddy's movements, they will absolutely get you killed, since they can block your movement and draw aggro in the wrong direction.

I would recommend sticking with Cadence (the only character with a palette swap), or making sure you two are playing two different characters. We were both playing Reaper and between the identical sprites and the tons of little soul dudes, it became a huge mess :v:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I generally prefer to play in handheld mode with some exceptions. Splatoon 2 feels better to me docked, for instance.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I have an atypical setup with my Switch that it sits tabletop on a stand under my computer screen, but split audio with my computer using the audio splitter that came with a Switch headset (mine was the Splatoon one). Looked like a really unwieldly setup in pictures, but it works pretty good if you tie up all the extra slack from the wires, can get nice clear audio between Discord and your Switch easily, and you can use any generic buds

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

grand theft grotto posted:

I generally prefer to play in handheld mode with some exceptions. Splatoon 2 feels better to me docked, for instance.

If I play handheld I’m usually in a lounging position or laying in bed, which makes the Splatoon motion controls all kinds of wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube recommended me a video of the new Kirby being played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BDHvssgpg

Bosses have weaknesses now apparently, they straight up light Whispy Wood on fire in the video.

• Locked thread