Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I agree, but the eps centered around him are mostly unmemorable filler

Don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Todd's arc in S3 was fantastic, and I enjoyed his first episodes of S4 but I thought the Clown Dentist bit was kinda...regressive? It was funny, mind you, but it stood out to me as a "Todd does zany thing because we don't know what do with his character anymore!" thing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

I agree, but the eps centered around him are mostly unmemorable filler

Uh strong disagree re: Chickens

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Todd is there to remind us that ignorance isn’t always bliss and sometimes being dumb and aloof isn’t the panacea that other smarty pants shows want you to believe it is.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bust Rodd posted:

Todd is there to remind us that ignorance isn’t always bliss and sometimes being dumb and aloof isn’t the panacea that other smarty pants shows want you to believe it is.

True, but things always find of way of working out for you in the end.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I've got a soft spot for Hooray! A Todd Episode, although it's really sad since it shows how most of the people in Todd's life don't treat him much better than Bojack does. Plus, when Hollyhock tells him people have told her she looked like Bojack ever since she was a baby, the way he says "That's a horrible thing to say to a baby!" kills me every time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It still strikes me that I'm not sure what we're supposed to take from Sebastian St. Clair. (One of my favorite tertiary characters.) Diane seems to have a really low opinion of him, but frankly he cut it when she didn't :shrug:.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

One thing in the first season I always thought odd, when they are making the movie about the D from the Hollywoo sign being stolen, they white wash Diane, having her played by Naomi Watts. Which would maybe have been a nice nod to what happens in Hollywood, if Diane had not been played by a white actor. And Todd Chavez being played by a northern European.

And Bojack voiced by a human.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pick posted:

It still strikes me that I'm not sure what we're supposed to take from Sebastian St. Clair. (One of my favorite tertiary characters.) Diane seems to have a really low opinion of him, but frankly he cut it when she didn't :shrug:.

his whole character is the scene where the little kid dies and he doesn't give a gently caress

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

JossiRossi posted:

One thing in the first season I always thought odd, when they are making the movie about the D from the Hollywoo sign being stolen, they white wash Diane, having her played by Naomi Watts. Which would maybe have been a nice nod to what happens in Hollywood, if Diane had not been played by a white actor. And Todd Chavez being played by a northern European.

They pretty much tend to avoid most racial issues on Bojack. Which is probably a good thing, because in world where half the characters are animals, it would drat near impossible to do without somehow comparing real life minorities to animals.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Master Twig posted:

They pretty much tend to avoid most racial issues on Bojack. Which is probably a good thing, because in world where half the characters are animals, it would drat near impossible to do without somehow comparing real life minorities to animals.

I totally agree, I think it's the right choice. I guess I just think that if you have a cambodian or a latino character they should probably be played by an actor of that ethnicity. Todd is definitely a border case, cause who really knows with him, he's by design an enigma.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

his whole character is the scene where the little kid dies and he doesn't give a gently caress

It's not that he "doesn't give a gently caress", if he didn't give a gently caress he literally just doesn't have to be there. He's just got a big-picture view of things and he knows a ton of the people there are going to die, they've been dying the whole time.

He's set up as someone for Diane to deconstruct as "actually he's selfish and worthless and I'm great :smug: " but in reality he is helping, in an imperfect way, and she had to get on the plane and go home because even though she was rip-roaring to journalistically break him down, his imperfect performance is doable, and her ideal performance is impossible.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

JossiRossi posted:

Uhhhhhh Diane is played by a white person

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pick posted:

It's not that he "doesn't give a gently caress", if he didn't give a gently caress he literally just doesn't have to be there. He's just got a big-picture view of things and he knows a ton of the people there are going to die, they've been dying the whole time.

He's set up as someone for Diane to deconstruct as "actually he's selfish and worthless and I'm great :smug: " but in reality he is helping, in an imperfect way, and she had to get on the plane and go home because even though she was rip-roaring to journalistically break him down, his imperfect performance is doable, and her ideal performance is impossible.

He is 100% correct when he says that the dead gain nothing from mourning, but the living need a hospital. I think Diane is also right when she says he doesn't really care about these people, and is there to satisfy his own ego. But, so what? The fact that he distances himself from their immediate suffering is the same thing that allows him to be effective and carry on.

It's another formulation of some of the questions the show has been playing with its entire run. Are people more than the sum of their actions? Is the fundamental goodness or villainy of a given action or set of actions altered by the intentions of the person performing it? At the end of the first season Diane states "I don't think I believe in deep down. I kinda think that all you are is just the things that you do." The hospital gets built, does actually matter whether or not the person responsible was motivated by benevolence or raging narcissism?

I dont know fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 7, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also think that it seems like he's cast in a bad light when he says that Diane is there--not to help directly--but to write a book so people will donate to St. Clair's foundation which is what will really help the most people. And he's right about that too, it's just really hard to see the good you do through so many layers of abstraction.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Billzasilver posted:

Uhhhhhh Diane is played by a white person

Uhhh that's what they said?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It is what it is, an arrogant egoist billionaire does more good in the world building a hospital for people he doesn't give a poo poo about than all of us put together will ever do, no matter how much we want to, or how much more we could do if we had that much money. His character's not really that important, just his affect on Diane's character.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I me

Oh right haha. Sorry the next sentence mentioned Todd so my eyes skipped straight to that.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I dont know posted:

He is 100% correct when he says that the dead gain nothing from mourning, but the living need a hospital. I think Diane is also right when she says he doesn't really care about these people, and is there to satisfy his own ego. But, so what? The fact that he distances himself from their immediate suffering is the same thing that allows him to be effective and carry on.

Right, this. St, Clair is still there doing humanitarian things while he doesn't give a poo poo about any of them individually; Diane bonded with a kid who died and went home with untreated PTSD. It's partly, I think, connected to the theme of the show and also the dehumanizing nature of war, although that's probably just my own feelings about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If we’re gonna get this deep into it, building a hospital on an active war zone is a grand gesture but potentially meaningless if they throw it up and leave. Hospitals require tremendous funding and resources, are we to assume St. Clair just funds it privately forever, laying down important infrastructure and brokering deals for medicine and equipment?

Just look at poo poo like UNICEF, going places and spending money on buildings is amazing optics but surprisingly doesn’t have lasting impact without ongoing financial support, and the brush he is clearly painted with for all the 2 minutes of screen time we get of him is someone who isn’t sympathetic and doesn’t seem concerned with anything besides optics.

I also think him being labeled as a “Saint” is part of that joke, tbh, he’s not a saint, he’s a greedy celebrity.

You can draw the same conclusion from Bojack donating all that money to the orphanage. Did anyone of you stop in the middle of that episode and go “Bojack is such a good person, even if he didn’t really care about those orphans!”

Do Bojack’s orphans not matter as much as St. Clair’s because St. Clair’s are in a war zone and Bojack’s are just abandoned Hollywoo babies?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

If we’re gonna get this deep into it, building a hospital on an active war zone is a grand gesture but potentially meaningless if they throw it up and leave. Hospitals require tremendous funding and resources, are we to assume St. Clair just funds it privately forever, laying down important infrastructure and brokering deals for medicine and equipment?

Just look at poo poo like UNICEF, going places and spending money on buildings is amazing optics but surprisingly doesn’t have lasting impact without ongoing financial support, and the brush he is clearly painted with for all the 2 minutes of screen time we get of him is someone who isn’t sympathetic and doesn’t seem concerned with anything besides optics.

The St. Clair episode goes to lengths to demonstrate how wasteful and generally irrelevant his charity is. But that's sidestepping the point--St. Clair is doing something, and Diane is doing nothing. The whole point of St. Clair is that he sets a very low bar that Diane fails to clear.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

You can draw the same conclusion from Bojack donating all that money to the orphanage. Did anyone of you stop in the middle of that episode and go “Bojack is such a good person, even if he didn’t really care about those orphans!”

Do Bojack’s orphans not matter as much as St. Clair’s because St. Clair’s are in a war zone and Bojack’s are just abandoned Hollywoo babies?

I suspect the two are similar, but I think a key difference in the way the two are perceived is that Bojack himself did not congratulate himself - his acceptance speech for the opening of the orphanage was riddled with characteristic self-loathing, and St. Clair couldn't stop congratulating himself at just about every turn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
St Claire didn’t show any signs of leaving, and he just rebuilt anything that got destroyed in a weird, obviously somewhat detached way.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bojack genuinely did not care, blew off all his responsibilities and busied himself ruining his one remaining past relation in the worst way possible, and he still starred in a major blockbuster and helped more orphans than Diane ever managed. It's the (gut)punchline of her entire season 2 arc.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I see Todd I'm reminded of Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb, who is as white as they come but has California hippie parents who changed their family name to "Navarro," to his eternal shame.

I got nothin' for Diane.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Famous Latino scientist Rick Sanchez.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All I want in life is to see his driver’s license as SANCHEZ, RICARDO and I can die happy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Have none of you ever encountered white Hispanic before?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m pale as the driven snow and my Columbian friends are the same skin color, the difference they get an even tan and I get a muddy freckle wash.

Spanish Conquistadors were some of the original white devils, or look at lots of Telemundo, there’s plenty of colorist but also lots of extremely latino White people

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have none of you ever encountered white Hispanic before?

Or blue haired asians.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know what ethnicity you guys think Diane is supposed to be, since she's clearly American as pho.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’m pale as the driven snow and my Columbian friends are the same skin color, the difference they get an even tan and I get a muddy freckle wash.

Spanish Conquistadors were some of the original white devils, or look at lots of Telemundo, there’s plenty of colorist but also lots of extremely latino White people

Another good example:

Famous boxer Mikey O'Leary of Dublin Santos "Canelo" Saúl Álvarez Barragán, of Guadalajara, Mexico.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I know a ginger Mexican dude and he said that he was bullied mercilessly as a kid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Louis CK is half Mexican and is fluent in Spanish.

He is genetically more Latino than Carlos Mencia, who is mostly German

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Your Colombian friends hate that everyone spells their nationality wrong. It's like a running joke at our expense.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Pick posted:

I also think that it seems like he's cast in a bad light when he says that Diane is there--not to help directly--but to write a book so people will donate to St. Clair's foundation which is what will really help the most people. And he's right about that too, it's just really hard to see the good you do through so many layers of abstraction.

St. Clair doesn't get much development, but what we do see indicates that he is a deranged psychopath that dedicated his life to charity because he couldn't find peace within his enormous wealth - not because of guilt, shame or depression, but because the sounds of screaming children (coming from his own head) kept him awake at night. He helps people, but doesn't experience any kind of empathy towards their suffering. He's mostly desperately dealing with a vague mental health issue the only way he knows how.

I always thought one of the bleaker things about this show was that Diane's empathy for others drove her to humanitarian aid only to drive her away once she discovered how severe the psychological toll of losing a child you actually care about to a sudden midnight bombing is. St. Clair in comparison has a much easier time of it, he seems incapable of connecting with anyone.

Speaking of, does anyone get the vibe that Diane is dealing with some sort of trauma since that whole Cordovia subplot? She's always dealing with a lot, but seems to fall off a cliff after the kid she cared so much about got blown up and she realized she couldn't hack it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Geez, a lot of sudden slams on Diane. I personally struggle with whether what I do is meaningful in any sense but I am also deathly afraid of responsibility. Should I just do whatever I feel like?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 8, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Your Colombian friends hate that everyone spells their nationality wrong. It's like a running joke at our expense.

I sent a screenshot of this post to my buddy and he says his mom did a spit take when she read it and laughed for like 5 minutes.

I always thought Diane’s St. Clair arc was more about Diane’s complete inability to deal with the fact that she isn’t happily married. It’s a very old-school boston/Irish-catholic thing to just get married in your 20’s, absolutely hate your spouse by 30, and then just wait it out. Diane would rather be out making a difference ON HER OWN than supporting her husband because her husband is a fun, sexy moron and Diane just can’t handle it. She has a massive chip on her shoulder and like it not, the only impact she’s ever had on the world around her was writing about Bojack.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bust Rodd posted:

I sent a screenshot of this post to my buddy and he says his mom did a spit take when she read it and laughed for like 5 minutes.

I always thought Diane’s St. Clair arc was more about Diane’s complete inability to deal with the fact that she isn’t happily married. It’s a very old-school boston/Irish-catholic thing to just get married in your 20’s, absolutely hate your spouse by 30, and then just wait it out. Diane would rather be out making a difference ON HER OWN than supporting her husband because her husband is a fun, sexy moron and Diane just can’t handle it. She has a massive chip on her shoulder and like it not, the only impact she’s ever had on the world around her was writing about Bojack.

She's married to a guy who has a lot more money than she does -- I would expect that kind of thing to be tough for many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AceOfFlames posted:

Geez, a lot of sudden slams on Diane. I personally struggle with whether what I do is meaningful in any sense but I am also deathly afraid of responsibility. Should I just do whatever I feel like?

Do something meaningful that isn't jumping into a live warzone. Local volunteer work, or even just donating to charity. Don't set out to change the world.