Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
:lol:

quote:

Like many many others here, I wired money ($30,000) to GDAX back on Dec. 13th, 2017. 5 days later they sent me an email telling me it would be reversed because it came from my business account and not personal account. It's been two months now and nothing. My support ticket has been "escalated" but that means nothing. Once a month they will send me an email apologizing for the delay and telling me all backlogged wires have been sent and they are closing out my case, every time I have to email them back and re-open the case. Back and forth but nothing happens and nothing changes. There is no one to talk to and no one to complain to, their customer service is a joke as we all know. Meanwhile I NEED that money and I need it back ASAP and I'm running out of options, and I am getting desperate. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Waiting for months on end is not a solution. I have a strong feeling I will never see this money again, and I don't plan to let this go.

Now, I know there are many others here in the same boat as me. So what I'm suggesting here is something different from the usual "call their support" "file a complaint" "send an email to support". All that does nothing. Either A) we gather together and file a class action law suit of sort and find an attorney that specializes in these matters. Maybe he can take all these cases to the media and shed some light on our cases. B) we gather together and go to their office in San Francisco and protest until we get our money back, and youtube live the event to draw more publicity to their illicit tactics and maybe that will stir something there to wake them up? I'm open to more ideas, but laying down and letting them hold my money without interest is just not acceptable. Crypto is currently unregulated and so Coinbase acts like it can do whatever they want. I say its time we stand up to them. Please upvote this thread and let me know your thoughts!

By the way, if one of the Coinbase devs would like to comment on this thread with "whats your case #", please don't waste my time unless you can ACTUALLY look up my case and wire my funds back today. Don't ask for my case # so it looks like you are trying to do something but really aren't. I have lost ALL faith in Coinbase, and can't wait for Robinhood to begin crypto trading and making Coinbase obsolete...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
A bunker?

For my bitcoins??

https://qz.com/email/quartz-obsession/1130471/

Per Dr. Joseph Farrell's blog (https://gizadeathstar.com/2018/02/bunkers-bitcoin-cern-switzerland-argentina-stuff/)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Spermanent Record posted:

So you're saying a large portion of people playing with their internet money can't even cash it out right now? I thought all the Bitcoin evangelists were crowing about how easy it is to make withdrawals.

It's complicated getting in. Getting out is an epic journey.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

quote:

Ironically, we need a lot of regulations & standards to police the crooked exchanges like Coinbase.

Ironically: (adv.) having no irony whatsoever, usually describing an inevitable and natural outcome

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

hm yes youtube live is the answer, also throwing money at some new exchange (???) called robin hood that isn’t at all telling u with its name it will take ur money

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

let it mellow posted:

hm yes youtube live is the answer, also throwing money at some new exchange (???) called robin hood that isn’t at all telling u with its name it will take ur money

no, no, robin hood is an app, you see, that's ~disrupting~ finance by letting people do free stock trading

obviously this is a great idea

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Goon project: petition the chinese government to regulate bitcoin

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Mirthless posted:

no, no, robin hood is an app, you see, that's ~disrupting~ finance by letting people do free stock trading

obviously this is a great idea

oh much better

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wow it's like someone smashed up Western Union's weird side-gig where they invest your cash temporarily, with everything that was bad about the mortgage-backed securities market.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

let it mellow posted:

yeah, that's what blows my mind.

The guy writes a passionate article about how he got ripped off, the dummy. Figures its worthwhile to put some energy into seeing if he can get his money back; and then wraps it all up with a big "sheesh! If I had only waited for Robin Hood crypto, my world would be roses!"

It's so baffling to not see the error in logic, I wonder for a moment if it's just a troll, but then realize, no; it is sincere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a coworker who is trying to convince me that BTC is good. He wants me to watch some netflix documentary. Sigh. He told me that the stock market is gambling. I explained that it's not gambling but that it is investing in someone elses business with the expectation of a return. He doesn't get it. I told him that until he understands the difference between gambling and the stock market BTC will probably make sense to him. Oh well.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Weren't butt touchers in the thread saying how Coinbase was legit and actually cashed people out easily?

Is it redditors expecting 10 minute withdrawals and losing their poo poo or are they just starting to eat people's money (en mass) now

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Wassbix posted:

Weren't butt touchers in the thread saying how Coinbase was legit and actually cashed people out easily?

Is it redditors expecting 10 minute withdrawals and losing their poo poo or are they just starting to eat people's money (en mass) now
It turns out running an exchange that doesn't aim to steal money is pretty hard and Coinbase is understaffed and underprepared. I don't think they've outright scammed anyone on purpose.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a coworker who is trying to convince me that BTC is good. He wants me to watch some netflix documentary. Sigh. He told me that the stock market is gambling. I explained that it's not gambling but that it is investing in someone elses business with the expectation of a return. He doesn't get it. I told him that until he understands the difference between gambling and the stock market BTC will probably make sense to him. Oh well.

There's a gamble in both, BTC is just much more volatile.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Waltzing Along posted:

Stock market *is* gambling. Investing used to be about putting money into a business and then reaping the profits through dividens. Now it's about buying stock and then hoping someone else will want to get in at a higher price. It became less about the business making money, as long as it appears more attractive to upcoming "investors".

Crypto is like that except there's no business to invest in.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm going to buy a bitcoin

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
so I was checking out the block difficulty (https://diff.cryptothis.com/) and unless I'm reading this right they are expecting a significant decrease in difficulty at the end of this epoch. Which has to mean a sizeable amount of mining horsepower has been removed from the network. If the price crashes any more before then end we might see an incredibly long and arduous slog to even reach the difficulty reduction.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Grem posted:

Gratz on your future Lambo my dude!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

wid posted:

Stock market *is* gambling. Investing used to be about putting money into a business and then reaping the profits through dividens. Now it's about buying stock and then hoping someone else will want to get in at a higher price. It became less about the business making money, as long as it appears more attractive to upcoming "investors".

True up to a point. The reason dividends are not popular anymore is because companies simply do stock buy back with the profit they make. So if you invest into a profitable company, the stock will go up simply by virtue of them dumping their own money into their own stock.

There is no business revenue to prop up bitcoin. I mean the magical tether printer I guess.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

wid posted:

:what: You can buy many, many stocks that pay dividends. Some don't. A company that doesn't pay a dividend either chooses not to so they can invest back into the company (including buying back outstanding shares), or because they cannot afford to because they are failing. A company that once paid a div and doesn't today is probably not in a good place fiscally.

Any stock listed on a major exchange is required to produce gobs of data not limited to but including a balance sheet. You can see exactly what they did in sales, paid in taxes, EBIDTA, etc.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Sten Freak posted:

:what: You can buy many, many stocks that pay dividends. Some don't. A company that doesn't pay a dividend either chooses not to so they can invest back into the company (including buying back outstanding shares), or because they cannot afford to because they are failing. A company that once paid a div and doesn't today is probably not in a good place fiscally.

Any stock listed on a major exchange is required to produce gobs of data not limited to but including a balance sheet. You can see exactly what they did in sales, paid in taxes, EBIDTA, etc.

they also publish novels prior to the financial information so as to keep you informed about the many awards they gave themselves this year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rad Russian posted:

True up to a point. The reason dividends are not popular anymore is because companies simply do stock buy back with the profit they make. So if you invest into a profitable company, the stock will go up simply by virtue of them dumping their own money into their own stock.

There is no business revenue to prop up bitcoin. I mean the magical tether printer I guess.

correct terminology there is "business" "revenue"

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sten Freak posted:

Well... not exactly.

Companies are obligated to reinvest their earnings in company growth or into dividends and buybacks...

BUT

Majority shareholders also often can and do elect themselves into positions that pay a poo poo ton of money. So like they can be CEOs or CFOs are whatever and choose to pay themselves whatever is "fair."

So like you can make yourself a CEO and pay yourself a poo poo ton of money and invest the rest into growth and ignore shareholders. Which does benefit shareholders, but shareholders aren't necessarily owed dividends or stock buybacks.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of nutty how people who have no idea how any of this poo poo works are coming out of the woodwork making GBS threads on anything that even resembles a cryptocurrency. I have no stake in this except $40 in change left over but I at the very least can acknowledge how helpful it is to those of us who live in areas without access to medical marijuana and carfentanil.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Shampy posted:

It's kind of nutty how people who have no idea how any of this poo poo works are coming out of the woodwork making GBS threads on anything that even resembles a cryptocurrency. I have no stake in this except $40 in change left over but I at the very least can acknowledge how helpful it is to those of us who live in areas without access to medical marijuana and carfentanil.

It's hard to strike a balance and develop a moderate take on this stuff. It's either the world's savior or the world's biggest joke depending on who you ask.

I think it's a fascinating subject just from the psychology that goes into a fake stock market involving billions of dollars and people from all over the world into weird simulated real world economic concepts. Watching the faster chats you can see people lay out their trains of thought and mental gymnastics in real time.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 7, 2018

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

null posted:

Goon project: petition the western government to regulate bitcoins

Buttcoin project: clone the Bitcoin core codebase but rebrand it as

Cryptographic Fraud Token Coin
or
the Secure Encrypted Coin Blockchain Ledger of Wealth & Security
or
Freedom Integrated Nano Computational Economic Nash Equilibrium Network Coins

:q:

and it's a two year long prelaunch marketing campaign announcing the egalitarian Genesis block launch but actually just reinacte the Bitcoin history of mining the majority of the coins before the general public and than upping the difficulty and reducing the payout

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I make all of my investing decisions based on how much carfentanil I can safely acquire over the internet

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Shampy posted:

source your quotes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shampy posted:

i have a tremendously more respect for people who have a stake in crypto to buy weird drugs from the internet than i do people who have a stake in crypto to get rich or play wall street outlaw

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Great
Official
Antifiat
Trading
Stock
Exchange
Coin
Xcellarator

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

let it mellow posted:

Great
Official
Antifiat
Trading
Stock
Exchange
Coin
Xcellarator

oh my god do i have depressing news for you

https://goatse.cx/

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Dolphin posted:

Well... not exactly.

Companies are obligated to reinvest their earnings in company growth or into dividends and buybacks...

BUT

Majority shareholders also often can and do elect themselves into positions that pay a poo poo ton of money. So like they can be CEOs or CFOs are whatever and choose to pay themselves whatever is "fair."

So like you can make yourself a CEO and pay yourself a poo poo ton of money and invest the rest into growth and ignore shareholders. Which does benefit shareholders, but shareholders aren't necessarily owed dividends or stock buybacks.

GoPro in a nutshell.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

boner confessor posted:

oh my god do i have depressing news for you

https://goatse.cx/

goatse is a bitcoin. WTF!

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

i have a tremendously more respect for people who have a stake in crypto to buy weird drugs from the internet than i do people who have a stake in crypto to get rich or play wall street outlaw

Pretty much, yeah.

The problem is the way that these currencies solve problems for the regular weed smoker can be applied and extrapolated all the way to the head of the Russian mob getting his multiple million pay-out free and clear without a (theoretical) care in the world. And the government doesn't like that. I'm not anti government or anything like that but I understand why they do not like the idea of this technology.

I'm curious to see what the following year brings to the whole industry.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

let it mellow posted:

goatse is a bitcoin. WTF!
no goatse on page, my life is a lie

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Shampy posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

The problem is the way that these currencies solve problems for the regular weed smoker can be applied and extrapolated all the way to the head of the Russian mob getting his multiple million pay-out free and clear without a (theoretical) care in the world. I'm not anti government or anything like that but I understand why they do not like the idea of this technology.

a regulatory light touch apparently. The money has spoken and we are beholden to the interests of an unregulated gambling economy and its nepotistic lobbyists, Mr Importantguys niece is pulling the strings now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

I mean, I know it dropped a lot, but it still costs a lot of money. You could probably get a used Volvo instead. And then you can drive the Volvo to work and stuff.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
paul krugman saying what we are all thinking. warning: future leaders of industry are replying his thread
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/959804402231111680

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Shampy posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

The problem is the way that these currencies solve problems for the regular weed smoker can be applied and extrapolated all the way to the head of the Russian mob getting his multiple million pay-out free and clear without a (theoretical) care in the world. And the government doesn't like that. I'm not anti government or anything like that but I understand why they do not like the idea of this technology.

Or you could just buy weed with cash like a normal person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is the dangerous kind of thing I was talking about awhile ago where people are assumed to be experts because they made money.

He can't even pick out his own clothes, that's a stock outfit from https://www.stitchfix.com/