Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

The one with the government agent? I really like that when she joins your Real State business she's named "Marusa Marui" like Kiryu never bothered to ask her full name and just went with that. The Masochist Man also introduces himself by his full name but Kiryu just calls him "Masochist Man".

There’s a Majima one with a politician about sales tax, I think he means that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just killed the 7th colossus. Holy poo poo this is a mind blowing remaster. I'm loving every second of it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, the horse controls are perfect. Agro is a horse and responds to commands like an actual horse would. You can't drive him like a car. You can also trust his judgment and don't have to actually steer him when you're going down a windy path over a gorge. He'll follow the path on his own since, like a real horse, he's not going to leap off a ledge to his death just because the rear end in a top hat on his back doesn't tell him not to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

...! posted:

Yeah, the horse controls are perfect. Agro is a horse and responds to commands like an actual horse would. You can't drive him like a car. You can also trust his judgment and don't have to actually steer him when you're going down a windy path over a gorge. He'll follow the path on his own since, like a real horse, he's not going to leap off a ledge to his death just because the rear end in a top hat on his back doesn't tell him not to.

On the other hand it's much funnier to launch horses off cliffs

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So I’m still working on Kiryu’s Real Estate minigame. Finally hit a good rhythm and have taken out Leisure King and Electronics King. Working on Gambling King now, and have about 60% ownership there. Pleasure King is next and then I assume the real enemy battle will begin after that.

Been taking the opportunity to work on Kiryu’s training as well. Finished Brawler, but am stuck on 4th training session of Rush. This is the ¥10 million where the guy wants to test his katana. Any hints?

Btw, I love how I am at a pretty pivotal part of the story and the game is just letting me do this side stuff. The only thing it does is kinda nag me from time to time. Did the same with Majima and the hostess minigame as well, but the hostess minigame was fun as gently caress and real estate is annoying and kinda boring (although the money battle thing is strangely fun). Have had some fun side quests though, and have picked up a few security folks and advisors.

Tl:dr Yakuza 0 is still cool and good. I am ~90 hrs in. Haven’t quite finished the story yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i know everyone's excited about Knack but Grand Kingdom is a pretty good get for free.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morby posted:

So I’m still working on Kiryu’s Real Estate minigame. Finally hit a good rhythm and have taken out Leisure King and Electronics King. Working on Gambling King now, and have about 60% ownership there. Pleasure King is next and then I assume the real enemy battle will begin after that.

Been taking the opportunity to work on Kiryu’s training as well. Finished Brawler, but am stuck on 4th training session of Rush. This is the ¥10 million where the guy wants to test his katana. Any hints?

Btw, I love how I am at a pretty pivotal part of the story and the game is just letting me do this side stuff. The only thing it does is kinda nag me from time to time. Did the same with Majima and the hostess minigame as well, but the hostess minigame was fun as gently caress and real estate is annoying and kinda boring (although the money battle thing is strangely fun). Have had some fun side quests though, and have picked up a few security folks and advisors.

Tl:dr Yakuza 0 is still cool and good. I am ~90 hrs in. Haven’t quite finished the story yet.

Actually, the Pleasure King should've been the third one, his properties are much cheaper than the Gambling. But then again, if you're at 60% you're probably making some good dough, so keep up.

I quit after the Pleasure King takeover to go back to the main plot and stopped when I got back to Majima. Should probably carry on tomorrow or so.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I don't remember your main character in SOTC talking to Dormin in the beginning of the game and him explaining what you have to do. Did they add this in the remake? It's been probably 8 years or so since I last played it so I don't really remember.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just picked up a shiny thing and my controller was making a little jingle and I have no idea what it does

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't remember your main character in SOTC talking to Dormin in the beginning of the game and him explaining what you have to do. Did they add this in the remake? It's been probably 8 years or so since I last played it so I don't really remember.

It’s in the original word for word.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think almost all the audio is identical as far as I can tell.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

I think almost all the audio is identical as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't want it any other way

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Actually, the Pleasure King should've been the third one, his properties are much cheaper than the Gambling. But then again, if you're at 60% you're probably making some good dough, so keep up.

I quit after the Pleasure King takeover to go back to the main plot and stopped when I got back to Majima. Should probably carry on tomorrow or so.

Yeah, I found out I did them in the wrong order after I’d already gotten about 50% of the way through with the Gambling King. Ah well.

Btw, JCC is the worst minigame. It just seems to be based on RNG and luck.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

man nurse posted:

It’s in the original word for word.

Huh, I really don't remember that much back and forth dialogue between the two.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How do you do the flippy move?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Smokin' Sick Style!!!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Huh, I really don't remember that much back and forth dialogue between the two.

Me either! I didn't think they'd actually add in a new cutscene but I didn't remember any of that. In my busted memory, you just kinda got dropped off at the shrine and got to it.I'm glad there's stuff I forgot.

Normally I love trophies, but some of them seem kinda odd with the nature of the game? Like, on one hand, you're supposed to feel sorrow and guilt that you slaughtered these majestic beasts. But on the other – how fast can you kill them on hard mode?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Odin Sphere is rad. I haven't played a game with such a strong art direction in a long time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

lol the SotC remake looks SO MUCH BETTER than Last Guardian. I kinda knew it would but it’s still insane

Unless you are talking merely from a performance standpoint I could not disagree more.

SOTC remake is awesome though. I had reservations about it feeling like it lost some of it's style and I still feel that way, but I'm not bothered by it. If anything it's like a really great cover of one of your favorite songs. One that's so good it stands up to the original. Some of the more ethereal qualities that feel lost are replaced by something much more detailed, which gives you something new to fixate on. And make no mistake it's very subtle. Not like they tried to reinvent the wheel. I am actually surprised with how much restraint they've had in some areas where they could have gone much further with modernizing it. I don't think it replaces the original or makes it obsolete. But it's certainly a cool thing that I'm glad exists. The only negative feelings I have is that if someone chose only to play this version, they are missing just a tiny bit of the magic that made the PS2 game so great.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm broke as a mahfuggin' joke until Friday and everyone talking about the SotC Remake while Im over here downloading Knack is like the closest i have ever been to real Hell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I went out to buy monhun but it was sold out so I bought sotc. Hope I like it more than last guardian.

Plus side it was half what monhun costs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a Majima one with a politician about sales tax, I think he means that one.

Yeah, I was thinking about that one. I guess I love that Yakuza 0 has two taxation-related quests.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

Unless you are talking merely from a performance standpoint I could not disagree more.

SOTC remake is awesome though. I had reservations about it feeling like it lost some of it's style and I still feel that way, but I'm not bothered by it. If anything it's like a really great cover of one of your favorite songs. One that's so good it stands up to the original. Some of the more ethereal qualities that feel lost are replaced by something much more detailed, which gives you something new to fixate on. And make no mistake it's very subtle. Not like they tried to reinvent the wheel. I am actually surprised with how much restraint they've had in some areas where they could have gone much further with modernizing it. I don't think it replaces the original or makes it obsolete. But it's certainly a cool thing that I'm glad exists. The only negative feelings I have is that if someone chose only to play this version, they are missing just a tiny bit of the magic that made the PS2 game so great.

Completely disagree with this but to each their own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What aspect of it? It wasn't exactly a single isolated opinion there.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 7, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

What aspect of it? It wasn't exactly a single isolated opinion there.

Well it's just that by playing it again I feel all the magic that I felt with the original. Not only am I still awestruck by the colossus, the immersion's of the landscape and beauty have sucked me in even more than the blurry textures of the ps2 days, which even then amazed me. I found myself running through fields even though there was nothing I was specifically going to. I think they were able to capture everything they needed to and more.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
SotC is loving insane. Never played the original but goddamn I just killed the first big chap and my jaw was on the floor the whole time. Running it on a Pro and not sure if I should use performance mode or cinematic, both are amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Over There posted:

Well it's just that by playing it again I feel all the magic that I felt with the original. Not only am I still awestruck by the colossus, the immersion's of the landscape and beauty have sucked me in even more than the blurry textures of the ps2 days, which even then amazed me. I found myself running through fields even though there was nothing I was specifically going to. I think they were able to capture everything they needed to and more.

I guess what I meant was not that the magic is lost, It's that it's somehow shifted, become different in small, subtle ways. I certainly didn't mean it as a knock on the remaster I think it's great. It's not as soft and ghostly, but the added detail creates another kind of immersion.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

I guess what I meant was not that the magic is lost, It's that it's somehow shifted, become different in small, subtle ways. I certainly didn't mean it as a knock on the remaster I think it's great. It's not as soft and ghostly, but the added detail creates another kind of immersion.

I guess I could see that, but to me that's a benefit. I guess when I played it the first time I saw it more as limitations than hiding anything.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Morby posted:

Yeah, I found out I did them in the wrong order after I’d already gotten about 50% of the way through with the Gambling King. Ah well.

Btw, JCC is the worst minigame. It just seems to be based on RNG and luck.

I might be getting this mixed up with the JCC equivalent in Kiwami, but theres a strategy to it. Each one of the fighters has a move they're strongest with: rock, paper, or scissors, and they're most likely to use their strongest move. It's not 100%, but if you choose your move that beats their strongest move you'll win fairly consistently.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Roth posted:

Odin Sphere is rad. I haven't played a game with such a strong art direction in a long time.

I haven't played Leifthrasir yet, but while I enjoyed the original version somewhat, Muramasa was much, much better.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shadow of the Colossus first hour. This is gaming.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how Knack doubles your health bar later in the game but you still die in one or two hits, since half the hits in the game are instant kills anyway.

I also like how if I get twenty random garbage piles I can become DARK KNACK

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember when you open chests to look through your friends list and see if they got better items you can take

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when you open chests to look through your friends list and see if they got better items you can take

I am doing everything in my power to become the ultimate knack

why am i playing this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah all my numerous friends who have played Knack

I played 2 chapters today, I'm not sure how far my fascination by how dull and bad this game is can take me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This feature would kind of own in an RPG

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've really been wanting to play a modern, PS2 era style cartoony game, and free Knack sounds good, but really I'm guessing my time would be better spent just buying Ratchet and Clank for like $5.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Can Bluepoint remaster Revengeance next? It's :krad: and the final boss has added significance in today's climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I've really been wanting to play a modern, PS2 era style cartoony game, and free Knack sounds good, but really I'm guessing my time would be better spent just buying Ratchet and Clank for like $5.

Lol I can promise you there is no gaming itch that Knack will adequately scratch.

Except maybe sheer curiosity