Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its loving awesome a private company can launch and land rockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

its loving awesome a private company can launch and land rockets

a private company funded primarily (>50%) by nasa, using nasa's launch facilities and infrastructure

but yeah

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 7, 2018

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also the decades if not centuries of government funded r&d that all of this builds upon

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
musk learned like thiel that the best grift of them all is the MIC

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my favorite part was after the launch when they thanked the eastern range for something like "helping out" or "consulting with us"

yeah that's it, not "control access to the area, provide backup redundant telemetry systems and make sure your rocket doesn't kill anyone," they were just our fun consultant friends!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well yeah that might detract from the image that he’s running a fully functioning private space enterprise rather than an MIC leech building the fiery parts with former NASA personnel/contractors and facilities

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

the shuttle was basically the Bradley but space, except imagine if work on the Bradley halted all other military ground vehicle development so no tanks, hum-vees, etc.

if only they had

yes the Bradley was a mess but so was every contemporary. humvees are almost impossibly fragile and their frames rust out even in desert conditions. m1 Abrams have to be deployed with 2 or 3 spare turbine engines because they fail constantly and are not field repairable.

ironically the revised Bradleys have proven to be a godsend because the m1is so useless as a tank. its exhaust is so hot it cannot be used in infantry support. it’s too heavy to cross bridges. it’s too wide to enter urban areas. it has so little fuel range that it cannot pursue other tanks

in short just about every dollar spent on military development programs is a dollar wasted

maybe the jsf/f35 fiasco saved us from having three or four individual fiascos

Edit: it’s not just ground vehicles, or planes. it’s boats, subs, tanks, satellites, ships, jets, guns, spaceships. we cannot seem to develop ANY new weapons system successfully and it is getting really expensive to fail in new and hilarious ways

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 7, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lancemantis posted:

well yeah that might detract from the image that he’s running a fully functioning private space enterprise rather than an MIC leech building the fiery parts with former NASA personnel/contractors and facilities

a huge part of his value-add is not having to go through congressional idiot bullshit, tbh
that is a genuine value-add. i would rather work under insane megalomaniac than congress

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

ate all the Oreos posted:

my favorite part was after the launch when they thanked the eastern range for something like "helping out" or "consulting with us"

yeah that's it, not "control access to the area, provide backup redundant telemetry systems and make sure your rocket doesn't kill anyone," they were just our fun consultant friends!

what a weird thing to nitpick

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

dc3k posted:

what a weird thing to nitpick

it was literally like the only mention they had of anyone that was not spacex after the launch so it kinda stuck out :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a huge part of his value-add is not having to go through congressional idiot bullshit, tbh
that is a genuine value-add. i would rather work under insane megalomaniac than congress

from what i've heard from people who actually work(ed) there the culture is super, super awful, like every gross terrible silicon valley thing condensed and crystalized. iirc there was someone in another thread who mentioned a friend who was really excited to work at spacex, bought into the whole promise of going to mars and loved everything and took the job thinking he was making a difference for humanity, then quit after 6 months because the place was just so terrible

not that working in constant suspense waiting for congress to inevitably cut your budget and lay you off is any better but like, idk if either is a particularly good choice?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, we had a lotta peeps when i was at the ex-space peeps company going from spacex to "anywhere else, please, god"

but they can make deec sourcing decisions, stay the gently caress away from alabama and mississippi for buying or doing anything. DoD? nah

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

bob dobbs is dead posted:

working under congress is basically just working for 535 insane megalomaniacs at the same time

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

eschaton posted:

erdogan probably considers it quite relevant today

nah, he’s totally modern, like ataturk.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so this is a thing now

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
thank god that elon musk was able to take the first picture that has ever been taken from orbit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

working under congress is basically just working for 535 insane megalomaniacs at the same time

from what i've heard from my dad lately they mostly cancel each other out when it comes to NASA since nobody in congress actually gives much of a gently caress, and you wind up just plodding aimlessly along at a glacial pace. everyone at all levels of the org really hates this but the people that hate it most of all seem to be the younger employees, and they've been bleeding young talent real bad, so that'll be fun to deal with in a decade or two

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

so this is a thing now

i refuse to believe flat earthers are actually a thing in tyool2018 (or at least >2 people) and not a lolironic 4chan gimmick

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

i refuse to believe flat earthers are actually a thing in tyool2018 (or at least >2 people) and not a lolironic 4chan gimmick

it's one of those things that started as ironic and then a bunch of unstable people gravitated towards it not realizing it was a joke and some of the original ironic memelords started actually believing it and it became a real thing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i can wrap my head around people believing a lot of dumb poo poo like jesus created all humans q.e.d. or even hollow earth and reptilian people, or chemtrails, or vaccine autism, or whatever, but my brain cannot process someone believing flatearth. its just one big blank going ok no way but what about x, and y, and z, how.. how could they evne think that? aaaaaaa

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Xaris posted:

i can wrap my head around people believing a lot of dumb poo poo like jesus created all humans q.e.d. or even hollow earth and reptilian people, or chemtrails, or vaccine autism, or whatever, but my brain cannot process someone believing flatearth. its just one big blank going ok no way but what about x, and y, and z, how.. how could they evne think that? aaaaaaa

fourth reich hitler has dispatched reptile saucers from his underground antarctic bases to deliver you some reeducation :rip:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Bulgakov posted:

fourth reich hitler has dispatched reptile saucers from his underground antarctic bases to deliver you some reeducation :rip:

i think you’ll find that the order was actually put in by secret president-for-life obama’s deep state cultural jihadis.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
back on more tech bubbly type stuff, my new vacuum cleaner has wifi. i can’t wait to annoy my roommate by turning it on every 5 minutes when I’m on vacation

the weird thing is instead of sharing my wifi credentials with some bluetooth thing, the vacuum creates its own wifi hotspot that you connect to to start the setup and then it shuts it down and connects to your home network after. i wonder what kind of neat security issues that could cause

dc3k fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
why would you buy that and not a good+cheap $120 shark navigator??

also why the gently caress would a vacuum cleaner need internet connection unless its a roomba

e: oh it is a roomba, ehhhhhhh. i was picturing an standard upright vacuum cleaner with IoT poo poo to turn it on and going huh what the hell

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 7, 2018

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
it's called a neato botvac. it's like a roomba but instead of being round it's shaped like the letter D

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's one of those things that started as ironic and then a bunch of unstable people gravitated towards it not realizing it was a joke and some of the original ironic memelords started actually believing it and it became a real thing

recently it’s become more of an explicitly christian conspiracy theory (or rather that the conspiracy itself is supposed to be antichristian) that tangled up their desire to be persecuted w/ more antiscience from a fun new angle

this is my fav new one tho:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

high on their own supply of lunacy

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Bulgakov posted:

high on their own supply of lunacy

actually they don't believe in the moon

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

:negative:

but the tracks

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

recently it’s become more of an explicitly christian conspiracy theory (or rather that the conspiracy itself is supposed to be antichristian) that tangled up their desire to be persecuted w/ more antiscience from a fun new angle

next level: the great ice plane earth theory.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Xaris posted:

the reptilian conspiracy became much more believable when it turned out that David Icke was right about the massive number of pedophiles at the highest levels of British society

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the biggest mystery is about how conspiracy folks, even if unemployed, produce so many hours/days/years worth of youtube content

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'm actually extremely on board with big ice ball

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wonder what the ice ball earthers think of global warming

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i wonder what the ice ball earthers think of global warming

your first problem begins with the definition of thinking

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

President Beep posted:

deep state cultural jihadi

Mods!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mrmcd posted:

Oh, huh. Well at least one review suggests they might be typical Ikea garbage so maybe that explains the reduced cost.

from way back, but while the app was a garbage fire, the ikea bulbs support homekit these days, apparently with much better results. not that i've tried them out myself, but seems a good try

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

its not just the current congress, its also compounding bad policies from every previous congress. the end result is terrible management in every government agency and that leads to employees that don't give a poo poo because the organization litterrally prevents anyone from giving a poo poo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

its not just the current congress, its also compounding bad policies from every previous congress. the end result is terrible management in every government agency and that leads to employees that don't give a poo poo because the organization litterrally prevents anyone from giving a poo poo.

idk i'd say everyone i've ever met who works at NASA gives very much of a poo poo, they just can't do anything about it but spin wheels and find little side things to do that don't need upper management approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

you misunderstand, most of the modern flat earthers think the earth is a simulation or a giant movie set truman show sort of thing being run or created by some sort of beyond human civilization or powers.