Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Quentin, though I admit that a large part of that stems from him being (one of?) the only bisexual male leads on television. Plus, the actor's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
When is it established quentin is bisexual?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean he hooks up with Elliot but he was wasted on magic booze or something so I'm not sure it was really an active choice or something he'd identify as. Then again its not really my place to say what Quentin is or isn't but I don't recall him ever actually suggesting he was into dudes outside of that night.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean he hooks up with Elliot but he was wasted on magic booze or something so I'm not sure it was really an active choice or something he'd identify as. Then again its not really my place to say what Quentin is or isn't but I don't recall him ever actually suggesting he was into dudes outside of that night.

Quentin just lacks the self confidence to refuse the human attention that genital contact represents

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

It's been a while since I read the books, but I seem to remember it being implied that Quentin is a little jealous that Eliot never hit on him more. I think Quentin is attracted to Eliot, but not so much that he would ever pursue him outside of a drunken threeway. I think he's probably like a 1 or a 2 on the Kinsey Scale. Certainly not a hard 3 or 4.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

In addition to what's been suggested -- and I think the emotion bottles are a little less rohypnol than has been suggested -- there's some very strong subtext during Umber's dinner date last finale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihonniboku posted:

It's been a while since I read the books, but I seem to remember it being implied that Quentin is a little jealous that Eliot never hit on him more. I think Quentin is attracted to Eliot, but not so much that he would ever pursue him outside of a drunken threeway. I think he's probably like a 1 or a 2 on the Kinsey Scale. Certainly not a hard 3 or 4.

Wait, there's a Gay scale?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But sexuality is a spectrum, and the Kinsey Scale says that people range from a 0 to 6. 0 being completely straight and 6 being completely gay. Studies have found that more people lie somewhere in the middle than you'd think, they just don't necessarily identify that way. While something like 75% of gay people are out, only like 20% of bi people are out.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Sexuality is a spectrum, this is like basic stuff.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Yes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I like Quentin, though I admit that a large part of that stems from him being (one of?) the only bisexual male leads on television. Plus, the actor's funny.

But Elliott is bi.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alhazred posted:

But Elliott is bi.

I think this is maybe why the Kinsey scale is a better descriptor of these characters. After all, neither of them identify as bi. The one time Quentin had sex with Eliot in the show, he was super drunk, and it was in a MMF threesome. Eliot, the same situation. And with his wife, it took him having sex utilizing his golem with another guy in another world in order to impregnate his wife.

I'd say Quentin is maybe a Kinsey 1, and Eliot is maybe a Kinsey 5.

But all of this is over-analysis of some fictional characters.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I think this is maybe why the Kinsey scale is a better descriptor of these characters. After all, neither of them identify as bi. The one time Quentin had sex with Eliot in the show, he was super drunk, and it was in a MMF threesome. Eliot, the same situation. And with his wife, it took him having sex utilizing his golem with another guy in another world in order to impregnate his wife.

I'd say Quentin is maybe a Kinsey 1, and Eliot is maybe a Kinsey 5.

But all of this is over-analysis of some fictional characters.

and Margo is like a Kinsey 3, she's down to gently caress all the hotties

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Very early in the first book but it was only really there to get Julia and Alice to make out. This is the first book of my fan fiction written on the back of a Target receipt not the official books btw.

spoilers but it worked

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihonniboku posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But sexuality is a spectrum, and the Kinsey Scale says that people range from a 0 to 6. 0 being completely straight and 6 being completely gay. Studies have found that more people lie somewhere in the middle than you'd think, they just don't necessarily identify that way. While something like 75% of gay people are out, only like 20% of bi people are out.

I didn't realise there was a scientific scale for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I didn't realise there was a scientific scale for it.
Calling the Kinsey scale scientific is about as accurate as the scale itself

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, I guess that definitely answers the question as to whether or not Q is bi.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, that kiss happened. I'm going to move Quentin up the scale from a 1 to maybe a 2 or 3.

Edit: The peaches couldn't possibly be a reference to Call Me By Your Name, could they?

Oh poo poo. Quentin has a 5 year old with this woman? They really are spending a long time there.

Whaaaat is going on here? Quentin and Eliot as gay dads?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess they decided to write those two out of the show!

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
That whole mosaic scene was so well done, plus the ending when they remember. I guess we're getting the whole Julia being a demigod storyline this season?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
holy poo poo that was such a beautiful episode. The quest was the beauty of life. they lived a beautiful life together, that's how to solve the mosaic.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

That was amazing. The whole Mosaic scene was just so good. Really moving and well done. I really like this show but I didn't expect this from it.
Also it was kind of fun how it also answered the last page discussion regarding Quentin's sexuality.
Though man, if they remember everything, it most leave some emotional scarring from essentially just having lost a wife, child and grandchildren. Unless magic somehow make them exist.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Atreiden posted:

That was amazing. The whole Mosaic scene was just so good. Really moving and well done. I really like this show but I didn't expect this from it.
Also it was kind of fun how it also answered the last page discussion regarding Quentin's sexuality.
Though man, if they remember everything, it most leave some emotional scarring from essentially just having lost a wife, child and grandchildren. Unless magic somehow make them exist.

they definitely existed, I'd love to see Quentin descendants in Fillory sometime. Margo didn't make that unhappen. It all happened--and now they remember it, and yeah I'm excited to see how it affects Quentin and Elliot's relationship from here on. That's some powerful The Inner Light level poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lupus Rufus posted:

they definitely existed
They have to exist because otherwise Quentin couldn't have given the key to Jane and arranged for the letter to reach Margo so she could go get the key back from Jane's body.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 8, 2018

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Tiggum posted:

They have to exist because otherwise Quentin couldn't have given the key to Jane and arranged for the letter to reach Margot so she could go get the key back from Jane's body.

Plus the basket of peaches and note was still at the wedding after Margo's trip to get them.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Lupus Rufus posted:

holy poo poo that was such a beautiful episode. The quest was the beauty of life. they lived a beautiful life together, that's how to solve the mosaic.

Actually crying here. Fantastic episode. If they don't get some recognition for it it will be a crime. I'm so glad i decided to catch up with season 3.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
In a weird way, that episode makes me wish the show were less serialized. I’d love to show that one episode to someone and say “this is what this show can do, juxtaposed with all the sophomoric stuff.” But then half the episode is multi season arcs. I guess it’s more something I’ve been thinking about than a real criticism. I’m gonna go have a cry.

Also, next week is Felicia Day... which is a decision I’d normally take a swipe at don’t want to do much right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's enough of a reason for me to not want to watch the next episode.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jane asking for the key and Quentin saying “ahhh, it kinda took a while” was hilarious.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rhyno posted:

She's enough of a reason for me to not want to watch the next episode.

I was neutral on her until Supernatural. It just felt like they were trying so hard to pander to a fanbase with that character every time she was on screen.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
That mosaic storyline was beautiful, heartwarming, and sad. Jesus this show is always better than you think it would be.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Fauxshiz posted:

That mosaic storyline was beautiful, heartwarming, and sad. Jesus this show is always better than you think it would be.

This episode was actually lovely and I don't often say that about any tv, to say nothing of Sexy Hogwarts/Narnia (yes I know they've largely outgrown that of late, but still). Elliott and Quentin as two dads was very sweet. Also I feel weird confessing this but Quentin's ponytails are always slightly different and always weirdly seem to work for him. I don't know why. MAGIC.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It was such an awesome episode. I rarely rewatch tv but I'm rewatching this one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That episode made me like Q a whole lot more.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, that was some drat fine TV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't love it quite as much as you guys (part of which I just chalk up to me not enjoying the show as much as you guys so not caring about the characters as much as you guys) but that was definitely a very sweet story and a high point for the show with character and storytelling sincerity. Like I said, I'm not at "it would be a crime if it doesn't get awards" level or anything but well done, Magicians. An episode I'd be comfortable recommending to people as something beyond "enjoyable trash." I genuinely didn't think you were capable of that.

I definitely assume Quentin's (and I guess Elliot's, really) grandchildren are around somewhere.

And yeah, it was genuinely hilarious at the bizarre timing of the answer on Q's leanings.

I'm fairly indifferent to Felicia Day.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 9, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's the female Will Wheaton. But side bar..... wtf has she got to do with the show.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I mean, she's an actress.

On another note, Elliott's wife and daughter are going to turn out to be Quentin's descendants, right?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Svensken posted:

I mean, she's an actress.

On another note, Elliott's wife and daughter are going to turn out to be Quentin's descendants, right?

That's my view on Day, I generally like her work when I see it and she's been in loads of sci-fi/fantasy shows here and there in guest spots from what I know, seems like a natural fit for this show.

Having Elliot's wife be a descendant from time fuckery is possible, I mean that family was already involved in time travel shenanigans before so there's certainly precedent. I'd be more interested to see a decent-sized family of alt-time relatives come in to help as part of the key quest.

Oh, and I was kind of disappointed that the mosaic piece Quentin found didn't act as just a reference for what the design should look like and require him to actually build it out, I guess after seeing a fair number of attempts in the montage I had high hopes for seeing the finished version.

Here's hoping with this latest key they've really got some mojo in their favor, so far the keys have been useful but very situational, and I have to believe a key that was a vital part of time travel abuse has some potent properties, even if there is the very sensible possibility that it's low on power after helping create you know, like 20 different versions of reality or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
they managed to top last week, amazing