Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Well, yes I have an anaconda and an asp that can get very very far, but I’ve been on exploring missions in both and just want a change of pace. I love the python cockpit. So I’m trying to make it happen. So far I have it up to 38ly with the changes above. I engineered both 5D PD and thrusters so it can still boost me and maneuver without issue. The python fuel tank is larger, which I like over the anaconda.

My destination is just Bernard’s loop, so not anything too crazy. Which leads me to my next question, I understand that getting into the Bernard’s loop nebula is a bit difficult. I have the HIP 23759 system locked in as online that seems like the starting way in, does anyone here know where you head to next to get passed the permit locked col 70 regions?

Edit: see, this is exploring with style

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I tried navigating around the Col 70 systems.

Then I gave up and went to Jellyfish.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well, yes I have an anaconda and an asp that can get very very far, but I’ve been on exploring missions in both and just want a change of pace. I love the python cockpit. So I’m trying to make it happen. So far I have it up to 38ly with the changes above. I engineered both 5D PD and thrusters so it can still boost me and maneuver without issue. The python fuel tank is larger, which I like over the anaconda.

My destination is just Bernard’s loop, so not anything too crazy. Which leads me to my next question, I understand that getting into the Bernard’s loop nebula is a bit difficult. I have the HIP 23759 system locked in as online that seems like the starting way in, does anyone here know where you head to next to get passed the permit locked col 70 regions?

Edit: see, this is exploring with style

Incorrect! This is exploring with style!

Edit: I'm sorry, that was really rude. I just really love my Explorca and got overexcited. Your python is rad.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 7, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Wow. That seriously owns. I might have to rethink my choice in ship tbqh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what's up with the thread title btw?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Blind Rasputin posted:

Wow. That seriously owns. I might have to rethink my choice in ship tbqh.

Thanks. It's got a pretty full up explorer kit, too. 5A fuel scoop, 3D shield gen, 2G SRV hangar, DSS, and lightweight everything. A size 5 cargo rack, too, that I could swap out for a fuel tank or passenger cabin if I were so inclined. Even with D class thrusters, it cruises at 424 and boosts to 537 M/s. Managed to get away with an unengineered 3A powerplant. and the, and it runs cool as heck when scooping. The Engine Focused 2A power distributor gives it just enough oomph for a single boost.

Truga posted:

what's up with the thread title btw?

It's a reference to nerfing the payouts of multicrew.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 7, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean the ellen thing

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Truga posted:

I mean the ellen thing

What do you mean?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Truga posted:

I mean the ellen thing

It’s always said that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Katsuma posted:

Incorrect! This is exploring with style!

Edit: I'm sorry, that was really rude. I just really love my Explorca and got overexcited. Your python is rad.

I've been using a Dolphin until recently. Just love the way it looks.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
With the changes to the type 7, would it soon be possible to build out one for exploration or ratting? I've seen some coriolis builds and I figured that I hate myself enough to try it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s always said that.

i googled it and lol

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Rad-daddio posted:

With the changes to the type 7, would it soon be possible to build out one for exploration or ratting? I've seen some coriolis builds and I figured that I hate myself enough to try it.

No, the FSD/heat management changes aren't sticking around post-beta, so the Type-7 will still be a poo poo explorer

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Trustworthy posted:

No, the FSD/heat management changes aren't sticking around post-beta, so the Type-7 will still be a poo poo explorer

bummer. I don't know why, but I've always wanted to do something with the type 7. I ended up skipping over it to get a Python, since the cargo was similar and it didn't handle like a dead whale. Hopefully the type 7 will get some kind of specific role in the future.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the type 7 has a role, it's "carry a bunch of space widgets around slowly and with little to no defense"

it's just that role isn't very fun most times, which is why the t7 is the cheapest large ship.

it's THE space truck for the space trucking game. you can truck stuff back and forth between relatively safe environments and make money, and it's good at that.

my t7 is still sitting at parutis with all the paint stripped off from running bulk passengers to medb

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
So what is the new money making gig since passenger running to Medb has gotten nerfed?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Behotti posted:

So what is the new money making gig since passenger running to Medb has gotten nerfed?

We wait for the big patch to introduce some new edge case in some border system frontier forgot to think about.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Behotti posted:

i haven't been out to parutis to check since the change, but does anyone know how bad the nerf was?

prior to the nerf i was pulling about 100m per trip with a fully loaded t7; even if they cut the rewards by 50%, 50m for 15-30 minutes of board flipping and 40 minutes of supercruise isn't bad

then again i work from home and used the supercruise time for housework/whatever, probably not a fun time to do if you just play for a couple hours here and there

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:thunk:

quote:

Hello Commanders!

This is a quick update to let folk know that we are increasing materials storage capacity in the following manner:

Tier 1: 300
Tier 2: 250
Tier 3: 200
Tier 4: 150
Tier 5: 100 (no change)
In addition, we have updated the FSD boost synthesis recipes to the following:

FSD Basic

Carbon 1
Vanadium 1
Germainium 1
FSD Standard

Carbon 1
Vanadium 1
Germainium 1
Cadmium 1
Niobium 1
FSD Premium

Carbon 1
Germainium 1
Arsenic 1
Niobium 1
Ytrium 1
Polonium 1
These changes should hopefully drop in the next few days.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

the milk machine posted:

i haven't been out to parutis to check since the change, but does anyone know how bad the nerf was?

prior to the nerf i was pulling about 100m per trip with a fully loaded t7; even if they cut the rewards by 50%, 50m for 15-30 minutes of board flipping and 40 minutes of supercruise isn't bad

then again i work from home and used the supercruise time for housework/whatever, probably not a fun time to do if you just play for a couple hours here and there

i went there to check it out. All I ever really see is sightseeing missions on pretty much every passenger trip board

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

im gonna mine so loving hard

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Where do I look for fsd boost ingredients? I've found a nice system with a station next to a rich metallic ring, and I've been getting some gold, platinum, etc. out of that, but I haven't encountered any of those elements yet.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
well i guess if they got rid of the bulk passenger missions entirely then that's a hell of a nerf

i figured they just made them pay less

oh well!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Inspector Hound posted:

Where do I look for fsd boost ingredients? I've found a nice system with a station next to a rich metallic ring, and I've been getting some gold, platinum, etc. out of that, but I haven't encountered any of those elements yet.

Getting materials while mining is a nice bonus, but if you need a bunch, find a planet/moon with good stats and go get them SRV tires in the dirt!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Sorry to see they nerfed the Parutis -> Medb run.

If you wanna make money in this game, but you don't wanna use 'sploits, consider this effort post:

If you're rank 5 in powerplay, you get 50,000,000 credits per week. To get to rank 5, you need 10,000 merits. You can get 30 merits per kill if you shoot powerplay NPCs in an opposing power's system. This is called "undermining". So, to during the first week, it takes about 334 kills to get to rank 5. After the first week, you only need 5,000 merits per week to maintain your rank. Or 167 kills. Killing powerplay NPCs is illegal, so it helps to find an anarchy system for this.

So for example, I'm pledged to Mahon (the Alliance power). When I need merits, I fly to Bunda (controlled by Felicia Winters, a Federation power). There, I kill any Federal Agents or Federal Couriers I see, and leave everyone else alone. Bunda is an anarchy system, so from a crime and punishment standpoint, I'm still a good citizen. :v: You're supposed to fly around in supercruise, interdict, and destroy these powerplay NPCs. But this takes a long time between kills.

If you're aligned with a different power, use https://eddb.io/system to find an system with:

* Government: Anarchy
* Powers: pick every power you're allowed to undermine
* Power Effects: Control

So all that above is public knowledge. Here's the secret to get these kills quickly. Replace Bunda and federal NPCs with whatever system and power you're trying to undermine.

* Fly to the Nav Beacon in the Bunda system, then get about 30-50km away from the Nav Beacon.
* Quit to main menu, then relog into Solo.
* Powerplay NPCs are GUARENTEED to spawn within about 10 seconds of logging in.
* If non-federal NPCs spawn, just relog to solo.
* If federal NPCs spawn, destroy them, then relog to solo.
* Repeat until you have enough merits.

* Don't get destroyed, you lose your merits
* Don't forget to fly back to your power's space to turn in your merits.
* Don't be surprised when your first payout is paltry, you only get paid the 50m the following week after you achieve that rank

I know this isn't NEARLY as lucrative as the 'sploit of the month, but it's a better payout than RES farming, and you actually get to play the game instead of flipping the board.

First week:
50,000,000 cr / 334 kills = 149,700 cr per kill

Subsequent weeks:
50,000,000 cr / 167 kills = 299,401 cr per kill

If anyone has actually started doing this, this grift still seems to work in beta.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Those Material storage caps and FSD recipe changes are excellent

100 +100% jumps able to be stockpiled with Polonium being the only t5.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 7, 2018

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I unironically want to spend a weekend just chilling out hoovering up chunks of space rock/pirate. I might even install two C5 collector limpet controllers.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

the milk machine posted:

Went out there last night. The payout is about 1/8 of what it used to be for the multi passenger jobs (example: 17 Refugees). I saw a criminal fancy person job that paid about the same as before but I don't take those.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

I have been using the shinrata dezra (or whatever) system that Jameson memorial is in. Planet 1 a has a 2% chance of the 100% mats and a 0.6% chance of polonium. I have spent about half an hour or more zooming around and already have enough mats for two 100% boosts. So it seems like a fairly good planet.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have been using the shinrata dezra (or whatever) system that Jameson memorial is in. Planet 1 a has a 2% chance of the 100% mats and a 0.6% chance of polonium. I have spent about half an hour or more zooming around and already have enough mats for two 100% boosts. So it seems like a fairly good planet.

You have to have Elite or have been a Beta Backer, but yeah: Shinrarta is the best place to farm mats because there are several planets with most of the rarest items. :frontear:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You have to have Elite or have been a Beta Backer, but yeah: Shinrarta is the best place to farm mats because there are several planets with most of the rarest items. :frontear:

Sounds more like the most boring place, to be honest. If you need mats from planets, just chart your course to a target a couple thousand light years away and from there to another target on the other side of the bubble for the way back. You'll come across planets with every material you would need at least ten times. Far better than going to the same place over and over again. :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if i want to make some money using this app: http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php?s=&d=200&n=300

can i use this cobra III: https://eddp.co/u/GGHmbmHm

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That would work fine, though you could make some quick improvements - get a 4A scoop if you can afford it, dump the cargo rack and replace it with an AFMU, undersize your PD and d-rate
your thrusters, dump the weapons and utilities, 2G the vehicle bay, 3D the shield and finally replace the PP with 3A until it rolls a secondary efficiency modifier so scooping is easier. Your current roll on the PP has just made it harder on yourself.

With those changes you'd be up to 37LY jump range. If money is an issue then the AFMU can be dumped. The fuel scoop is really a priority 1 purchase if you at all can because it drastically lowers the downtime.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 8, 2018

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm getting pack into the game after a year or so off. I've got an Anaconda and about 150m in credits. Is there any good mining set up/places to mine for credits?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

frgildan posted:

I'm getting pack into the game after a year or so off. I've got an Anaconda and about 150m in credits. Is there any good mining set up/places to mine for credits?

https://eddb.io/body

say System Reserve: Pristine and enter your current location in the Reference System field

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m on my way out to Orion’s belt and stopped by Betelgeuse. The enormity of this sun does not gently caress around. I thought it would look like any other sun in the game, just with distance numbers different, but you can definitely feel and appreciate it’s size. Especially when you start fuel scooping from 2,500Ls away :stare:

There’s cadmium on this planet for more fsd boosters so I’m going to zoom around under the sun for a while before continuing on my way.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The best part about those super massive stars is how it looks when you jump into the system. The distance your ship travels on arrival is so negligible compared to the size of the star that it looks you're sitting stationary while the star just appears directly in front of you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Have VY Canis Majoris, biggest in the game:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Wanna scoop that star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Engineering bases don't have the contacts menu, so you have to fly lightyears away and pay 100x as much to some Interstellar Factors guy to sort it out for you.

this got fixed in beta :cool:

• Locked thread