Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t wait for 10 years time when history has settled on Last Jedi being the best one

That time has already come for everyone who isn’t an internet contrarian who just wanted another Force Awakens style OT retread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok wait I knew you didn’t like Last Jedi but disliking Last Jedi while loving Rogue One is some next-level insanity

It is actually a bit of a trend - lots of people who liked Rogue One a lot didn't like the FAILING Last Jedi.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That time has already come for everyone who isn’t an internet contrarian who just wanted another Force Awakens style OT retread
I didn't want a retread of the OT. I wanted a good Star Wars movie, but alas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82zY9oAIu7A

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The Solo movie is interesting in that its set before even the prequels so they have a lot of room to play around in terms of whats in the Star Wars canon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it really? That seems too early.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah he would probably be like 13 in the prequels.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Was Han Solo a child soldier? Because that would suddenly take my interest from 0 to 100.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is actually a bit of a trend - lots of people who liked Rogue One a lot didn't like the FAILING Last Jedi.

I really liked both of them. Though my criteria for good is pretty much "if I were channel surfing and it came on, would I stop and watch it" so something's got to be downright boring, offensive or just plain bad to cross that line. All it really takes is one good scene for me to buy in.

E: thinking about that more for movies and TV in general, I think a lot of otherwise similar opinions can be divided on whether the viewer is looking for reasons to watch or reasons to avoid it. Probably some sort of personality pop-psychology hullabaloo around that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 7, 2018

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, either that or during the wars. Unless Luke and Han are really close in age or something, but I have always been under the assumption Ham had a good 15- 20 years on Luke

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My interest piqued when I saw Donald Glover playing loving Lando and Woody Harrelson playing Woody Harrelson.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Well, either that or during the wars. Unless Luke and Han are really close in age or something, but I have always been under the assumption Ham had a good 15- 20 years on Luke

Dude, Luke's Father is like 10 years old in the prequels.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

It is. Solo clearly takes place after the prequels since there are loving Imperials all over the place.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

swickles posted:

Mmmmmm, Ham Solo...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The biggest mistake they can do is show whatever the Kessel Run is because it's going to be a huge disappointment

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

The biggest mistake they can do is show whatever the Kessel Run is because it's going to be a huge disappointment

Yeah, they absolutely will.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It sounds like its going to be a heist movie with Han being the getaway driver. I can see it now:

"Well, we can get out of this jam, but it will require making the Kessel Run..."
"No, we don't have that kind of time or distance!"
"Well, actually..."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, they absolutely will.

IIRC there was a toy leak of a version of the Falcon with the words "Kessel Run" on the package.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Red Letter Media reaction video is pretty much what I'm expecting.

https://youtu.be/d1G62KHmuXM

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What would sell the Kessel Run for me is if it happens at the beginning of the movie with some decent number, and every time Han tells the story that number gets smaller.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Solo is gonna be good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Solo is gonna be good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
never heard of Opposite Worlds until this youtube video but man it seems super entertainingly dumb

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

What's there to be disappointed about, it was a single throwaway line that was used as world-building and to establish that Han thinks of himself as a good pilot. It's not exactly "The Clone Wars" level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the biggest mistake they could do is literally anything because there are nerds on both sides

like Force Awakens and Last Jedi have objectively proven that the fanbase is in turmoil! Rogue One is even worse despite being significantly less off-brand than TLJ. it's not like the prequels, where every sane person knows they're bad. sane people dislike TLJ, and sane people love it.

precision fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 7, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lurdiak posted:

What's there to be disappointed about, it was a single throwaway line that was used as world-building and to establish that Han thinks of himself as a good pilot. It's not exactly "The Clone Wars" level.

Well that's my point. It's a little throwaway line that may or may not show he's good. Whatever they come up for it in the movie is going to suck, like explaining that the force can be determined by your blood cell count.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Kessel Run is just going to be Han and Chewie delivering a shipment of Coors beer across the galaxy.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I still havn't seen The Last Jedi yet, I hope it's better than that weird af paint-by-numbers pseudo remake of A New Hope. I mean I get that Disney didn't want to do what Lucas did and go too far off the rails, but goddamn put some creative effort into these things. It really can't be that hard to make a decent Star Wars movie.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 7, 2018

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toy leaks have confirmed that the Kessel is the big tentacle monster. It's a one of a kind species that became a flying challenge over the years. The Empire is harvesting it for something valuable and Han and team get together to steal from the Empire. Han ends up freeing the Kessel at the end because he's a good guy after all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Huh, I didn't realise I'd bookmarked a CineD thread. Weird.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

-Blackadder- posted:

I still havn't seen The Last Jedi yet, I hope it's better than that weird af paint-by-numbers pseudo remake of A New Hope. I mean I get that Disney didn't want to do what Lucas did and go too far off the rails, but goddamn put some creative effort into these things. It really can't be that hard to make a decent Star Wars movie.

I think you'll dig it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Solo is gonna be good

I'm prepared to defend it with blood and tears.

It's a chewie movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

I really liked both of them. Though my criteria for good is pretty much "if I were channel surfing and it came on, would I stop and watch it" so something's got to be downright boring, offensive or just plain bad to cross that line. All it really takes is one good scene for me to buy in.

Absolutely, I liked them both. I like all of the Star Wars.

All I expect of any movie is that I am entertained for a couple of hours and even though they haven't been perfect they've all managed that so far.

Rocksicles posted:

I'm prepared to defend it with blood and tears.

It's a chewie movie.

I hope there's a scene where Lando opens a panel in the Millennium Falcon and sees Chewbacca and his family and says, "Han, why is there a family of Wookiees in here?" and Han says, "I call the big one 'Chewie'. :downs:"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This movie will have Chewie ripping a dudes head off with his bare hands and then punting it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Absolutely, I liked them both. I like all of the Star Wars.

All I expect of any movie is that I am entertained for a couple of hours and even though they haven't been perfect they've all managed that so far.

I hope there's a scene where Lando opens a panel in the Millennium Falcon and sees Chewbacca and his family and says, "Han, why is there a family of Wookiees in here?" and Han says, "I call the big one 'Chewie'. :downs:"

I get that reference, i'm 41.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“The ring came off my pudding can.”

“Take my pen knife, my good Han!”

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

This movie will have Chewie ripping a dudes head off with his bare hands and then punting it.

I'll be vastly disappointed if i don't see a pair of arms get ripped off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Solo is definitely not going to be a good movie but hopefully it can be an average one

I am still so mad about Lord/Miller firing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was probably a good thing if everyone from the star of the movie to the screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and executive producer Kathleen Kennedy weren't happy with their directing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf Laurence just seemed pissy that anyone would dare mess with HIS PRECIOUS DIALOGUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

tbf Laurence just seemed pissy that anyone would dare mess with HIS PRECIOUS DIALOGUE

The eventual "making of" documentary for Solo will be infinitely more interesting than the movie itself can realistically hope to be.