Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somebody call for the Bookala episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I THINK, heavily think, that they stopped using their weapons as much, even the blasters, pretty much because of the nasty backlash. They were getting enough poo poo for martial arts stuff.

Reminder that Haim Saban is a “Clintonista” or whatever the gently caress, and by this time was probably aware of the NRA and their (at times shameful) propaganda against Bill Clinton.

They probably don’t use blasters because someone was convinced it was only supporting the “guns as self defense” motto.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like if Disney were to pick up PR again (probably won't happen because of Toei and their previous deal, but things have changed), I'd imagine they'd be a little more relaxed about some of the violence and SFX because of how their Star Wars and Marvel properties approach the same demo and might just hand over adaptation management to one of those teams. Otoh, idk how Disney does its own original live action stuff and how they treat action and violence.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the thing

Disney does not want Power Rangers because they would not solely own it.

It'd always be a joint production with Toei (and Bandai)

They OWN Star Wars. They OWN Marvel.

They can never, EVER, truly own Power Rangers. That's why they have no interest in building it as a brand and let it languish, only keeping it going because they literally had to.

They can buy as many stateside properties as they like, they will never be big enough to own Toei unless something goes wrong on a global scale.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disney is also not likely to own Ghibli, and at various times looked unlikely to ever buy the things they did.

You're confusing Disney with "Bob Iger's Disney", basically. Honestly though, Comcast would probably make more sense for everyone if Toei was willing to sacrifice certain elements of their business (home video sales) to get into other markets (namely and especially theme parks, since Universal is the big Not-Disney with a park in Japan).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't exactly call Saban a good steward of the franchise these days. For what its worst, the neo-Saban era's worst has been much, much lower than Disney's worst, and even its highest highs in dino charge don't live up to Disney at its best. For what its worth, and whatever each company's motives, I know which era I prefer by a significantly wide margin.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah. I love Dino Charge, but if pressed to place it against other highpoints of the series, well, it probably wouldn't even get into the top 5 due to SPD and RPM.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can't wait for Neo-Saban part 2, the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu era.

A streaming deal with Amazon would have intense marketing power since it's its own distributor so after logging a few episodes on your account, it'll start suggesting toys for you to buy

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers: politicsdark magic ruins everything.

Goldar's exasperated tone while Kim and Tommy bitch at each other is so great. "Who's face do I have to punch to get you two to stop?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The real reason Disney doesn't buy out Ghibli(or why Japanese companies in general don't get bought out by foreign companies) is that Japanese law prevents Japanese companies from being owned by foreign interests(other similar laws are why the Japanese Disney parks are ran by a Japanese company with Disney oversight rather than by Disney themselves)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Nodosaur posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Saban a good steward of the franchise these days. For what its worst, the neo-Saban era's worst has been much, much lower than Disney's worst, and even its highest highs in dino charge don't live up to Disney at its best. For what its worth, and whatever each company's motives, I know which era I prefer by a significantly wide margin.

Dino Charge is honestly probably on the same level or slightly higher than Jungle Fury; a fun series but with some noticeable flaws. I haven't watched any of Ninja Steel so I can't comment on its quality but Samurai is basically around the level of Mystic Force and Mega Force is lucky that Operation Overdrive is still the drizzling shits because it makes a great case for worst of Power Rangers.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah. I love Dino Charge, but if pressed to place it against other highpoints of the series, well, it probably wouldn't even get into the top 5 due to SPD and RPM.
Thanks to the Twitch marathon I've seen (most) of all the seasons. And here is my ranking that nobody cares about and is still 80% based on nostalgia.

1: RPM
2: MMPR, its the original cmon
3: In Space
4: Jungle Fury
5: Time Force
HM: Lightspeed Resque, Lost Galaxy, SPD.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 7, 2018

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Zedd posted:

Thanks to the Twitch marathon I've seen (most) of all the seasons. And here is my ranking that nobody cares about and is still 80% based on nostalgia.

1: RPM
2: MMPR, its the original cmon
3: In Space
4: Jungle Fury
5: Time Force
HM: Lightspeed Resque, Lost Galaxy, SPD.

Of what I’ve seen so far for me it’s:

Zeo
MMPR
Time Force
Dino Thunder
Jungle Fury

But I also haven’t watched all seasons yet.

I am partway through Shinkenger and it’s really enjoyable, but I also had a ton of fun with Samurai. I didn’t appreciate just how difficult the adaptation must have been for the writers. Shinkenger is steeped in very traditional Japanese societal norms that just don’t directly translate to the West. We don’t have Kabuki or the concepts of Lords and that sort of hierarchical structure, but you also can’t completely cut that out because the team having a strict order to things is a significant part of the plot.

They also both have the same glaring flaw with the treatment of Mako/Mia and the drat Beetle Zord. So unnecessary.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Were the kuroki in Samurai? If so, how were they explained?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, they were one of the few things from Shinkenger Saban didn't keep.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Testekill posted:

Samurai is basically around the level of Mystic Force

Hey now. Just because nobody shouts "MAHOU!" at the top of their lungs every thirty seconds doesn't mean it's as bad as what little I remember of Samurai.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel hard pressed to sympathize with Samurai’s adaptation being “difficult” when PR is full of different takes and spins on the sentai stuff. They didn’t just fully take Shinkenger’s plot, either, they watered down pretty much every aspect of it or removed important context. After all that you have the lord of a Samurai clan being unfortunately whitewashed.

A good example of them gutting the impact is having Jaden actually being a real shiba and Amber’s brother, as opposed to a decoy who was never related to the clan at all. It removes the whole moral conflict, softens the inhumanity and burden of it, and makes its eventual resolution so much easier for everyone in the cast to accept.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They only show up once in one of the weird holiday episodes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: the gang meets a sassy elf.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Inkspot posted:

Hey now. Just because nobody shouts "MAHOU!" at the top of their lungs every thirty seconds doesn't mean it's as bad as what little I remember of Samurai.

I haven't seen any of Magiranger, I'm specifically talking about Mystic Force aka the Nick Russell power hour

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers: the gang meets a sassy elf.

Kim's short shorts and midriff in this are pretty insane for a kids show. She's practically dressed like Kelly Bundy

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Kim's short shorts and midriff in this are pretty insane for a kids show. She's practically dressed like Kelly Bundy

Young me didn't see any problems in that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Old me didn't see a problem with it, especially since she's, what, 23, 22 at this point? But it is surprising no one in production at any point said "Yeah we gotta change this to something more conservative"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wow, that's some really bad greenscreening. It was really obvious during a lot of the storybook moments. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.

Also "Mondo the Magician" may be the greatest downranking between Sentai and Power Rangers. Shadam was definitely not a MotW.

Testekill posted:

I haven't seen any of Magiranger, I'm specifically talking about Mystic Force aka the Nick Russell power hour

"The Red Ranger Power Hour" is basically every modern Sentai though!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This episode raises all sorts of weird questions.

There's a storybook about Mondo the magician messing with a monster that looks like ticklesneezer, who may I remind you comes from a completely different storybook. And Rita sees this book and is like "Oh yeah I know that wizard he's an old friend! I'll ask him to destroy the power rangers!" He's a modern children's book character!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh no she's showing a bit of thigh and like an inch of midriff? :confused:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, that's some Victorian level poo poo if you think that outfit is risque.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

I feel hard pressed to sympathize with Samurai’s adaptation being “difficult” when PR is full of different takes and spins on the sentai stuff. They didn’t just fully take Shinkenger’s plot, either, they watered down pretty much every aspect of it or removed important context. After all that you have the lord of a Samurai clan being unfortunately whitewashed.

A good example of them gutting the impact is having Jaden actually being a real shiba and Amber’s brother, as opposed to a decoy who was never related to the clan at all. It removes the whole moral conflict, softens the inhumanity and burden of it, and makes its eventual resolution so much easier for everyone in the cast to accept.

The whitewashing does suck, but I don’t think we’ll ever have a racially homogeneous team in the Power Rangers franchise. Diversity is something they try to have in very team. I do agree that Jaedyn and Lauren should have been Asian, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... why did I think Lauren's name was Amber?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If someone wore that to my high school in 99 they'd be sent home or made to change.

I'm not saying it's bad, just surprising they went with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If someone wore that to my high school in 99 they'd be sent home or made to change.

I'm not saying it's bad, just surprising they went with it.

You're not wrong, especially for a kids show.

At that point they were more concerned with SCARY VIOLENCE than anything I guess.

And to be fair, the guys especially in season 1 went pretty skimpy on clothes a few times. (And then Leo in Lost Galaxy)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Morby posted:

The whitewashing does suck, but I don’t think we’ll ever have a racially homogeneous team in the Power Rangers franchise. Diversity is something they try to have in very team. I do agree that Jaedyn and Lauren should have been Asian, though.

I love that they cast the two whitest actors they could find and gave them the last name Shiba.

Speaking of whitewashing, I still think it's really weird that Ninja Steel opens with a white guy who owns his own farm but is also a ninja for some reason.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

JT Smiley posted:

I love that they cast the two whitest actors they could find and gave them the last name Shiba.

Speaking of whitewashing, I still think it's really weird that Ninja Steel opens with a white guy who owns his own farm but is also a ninja for some reason.

Well of course

No one expects the white boy farmer ninja

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Sorta makes me wonder what Mystic Force would have been like if they had gone with the “we are all siblings” dynamic. I still think the arc with Nick, Udonna, and Leanbow was done well, but it’s an interesting thought.

quote:

I have slid off of Ninja Steel super hard, but my wife is recording a podcast about it soon so we are forced to catch up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of mild "let's lean into the idea that every boy in our audience is in love with AJJ, even if they aren't old enough to know why" thing going on. The episode where the Thunderzords blow uphas Kimberly in a crop top that today I'm surprised they got away with.

I mean, who knows. PS and JN were given a stipend and told to buy Bulk and Skull's outfits, maybe the rest of the cast was given the same option at some point and AJJ decided she wanted to buy some cute clothes on Saban's dime instead of another four pairs of overalls.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MisterBibs posted:

I mean, who knows. PS and JN were given a stipend and told to buy Bulk and Skull's outfits.

:eyepop: This explains so much about why Bulk and Skull had such good clothes

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MisterBibs posted:

PS and JN were given a stipend and told to buy Bulk and Skull's outfits,

They did a drat fine job. I’m consistently in awe of how awesome their costuming is.

In particular I love that Skull seems to own an entire Confederacy uniform but he only ever wears one piece of it at a time

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sockser posted:

They did a drat fine job. I’m consistently in awe of how awesome their costuming is.

In particular I love that Skull seems to own an entire Confederacy uniform but he only ever wears one piece of it at a time

It was a blue Union uniform and did wear the entire thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JT Smiley posted:

Okay. This is going to be a politically incorrect confession of racial bias that might make some people flee for the door. Fair warning here.

Ninja Steel feels like the least diverse cast of all time, but I know at some level it's because I mis-identify people of mixed race. I do, of course, know I am to take responsibility for that one. Red and gold look like tanned white people to me (it doesn't help that Red's dad is a white-guy ninja grandmaster, and I can't get over how hilariously tone-deaf that is to how sensitive people are of cultural appropriation these days). I make the same mistake with the Brazilian actress who plays the pink ranger. The end result is it looks like four white people of various tan, an Asian guy, and a black lady.

I know this is going to one of my "ignore grandpa, he's a shameful racist" flaws in my later years, and I blame boomers for not dating outside their race enough. While I kept a diverse group of friends, everyone had two parents that shared one ethnicity and culture, so the token minority approach of old MMPR reflects my life better than the "is this diverse? I can't loving tell everyone looks the same" generations to come.

(Edit: It also doesn't help that, no matter where the actor comes from, the studio demands they all fake a west-coast American accent. Please stop that.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 7, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

(Edit: It also doesn't help that, no matter where the actor comes from, the studio demands they all fake a west-coast American accent. Please stop that.)

The issue is that they all originally have an Australian or New Zealander accent and the accent coaches for American English are invariably going to come from California since it's A. Where most of the entertainment industry is and B. Closer to there than NYC where the other large portion of the industry is. So them having West Coast accents just ends up being what happens unless the director and writers OK a character to have some sort of other accent like something from the Isles if they can make it fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want a Ranger with the Fargo accent.