Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I guess I do, when I break down how I use the words. Nudity requires an audience/observer, whereas nakedness doesn’t.

e: You know what? I’m OK with this post starting a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just because one dude thinks English speakers as a whole make a distinction between nudity and nakedness doesn't mean they do. I mean, we all know they don't.

You're right, English speakers as a whole certainly don't, and I would even argue that that's not what the link is saying. It's saying that smarmy art fucks do give a gently caress, so I have to give this one to MariusLecter, in the original context of their post. Having said that, no one in their right mind should give a poo poo about what smarmy art fucks say, so I guess you're right.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nude sounds somewhat innocent.

Naked sounds like you're about to be fuckin'.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Randaconda posted:

The first time I saw a product name that contained "naked AF" I almost chuckled. (It's naked as opposed to coated.) Same with "screwed double nipples".

e: Oh yeah and a new one: "sounding cock".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People who study something professionally use more exacting terminology than random people off the street. More at 11.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Randaconda posted:

Other way around, I'd say. Like, "naked" is neutral, "nude" implies specific intent to be naked.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I grew up in Little Rock but both my parents have relatively neutral accents and so do I. People from other regions can hear some mild Southernity in my vowels (and of course I say y’all) but other Southerners ask me why I don’t have an accent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

The first time I saw a product name that contained "naked AF" I almost chuckled. (It's naked as opposed to coated.) Same with "screwed double nipples".

e: Oh yeah and a new one: "sounding cock".

That's the whole joke at Hooters, they ask if you want the wings breaded or naked.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aphrodite posted:

I was born in the US but my parents immigrated so they have accents. I don't, in what I'm pretty sure was a conscious effort not to sound like them.

The Pakistani kid at my high school emigrated from there when he was real young and spoke English not just without an accent but even occasional southern affectations. It's really weird in retrospect but makes sense

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kids are dicks is the takeaway I'm getting

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All American accents are really weird to me irl, especially the people who claim to have no accent at all.

You sound ridiculous, just speak proper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

:ironicat:

unless

:thejoke:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TIL that sassassin isn't american. Huh.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
The captain on Star Trek Voyager and Red from Orange is the New Black are the same woman

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

om nom nom posted:

The captain on Star Trek Voyager and Red from Orange is the New Black are the same woman

The same actress, rather

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pidan posted:

The same actress, rather

If they were the same character, that would be the weirdest crossover of all time. Richard Belzer would be jealous.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sassassin posted:

You sound ridiculous, just speak propuh.

Fixed that for you, bruv.

EDIT: Assuming you're English was a bit of a called shot on my part. If this was incorrect, please let me know so I can make fun of you more accurately.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Kids are dicks is the takeaway I'm getting

I mean yes but how did you get that from what I said

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phlegmish posted:

Does that hold true when speaking specifically and exclusively to them as well?

People generally develop and use different registers depending on the social situation and interlocutor(s) involved. My parents are West Flemings who ended up in Brabant and made a conscious effort to raise their children in Standard Dutch, while still speaking in West-Flemish dialect to each other. I now speak with an unremarkable Brabantian accent in daily life, but when talking to my parents or my sister, I will automatically use a slightly more 'proper' register simply out of habit - for example, using 'je' instead of 'ge'. I also have a passive knowledge of West-Flemish simply from listening to my parents speak to each other.

apparently danish 2nd gen immigrants will speak more clearly dialectal than "born&raised" danes. heard a theory that its - white kids display "central admin intelligence" whereas the brown kids display "local affiliation"

ps the white kids are kidding themselves, its super easy to tell if theyre from the continent

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I was reading a bit in the paper about a German writer who lives in Finland and he mentioned he liked the Finnish phrase totta kai. I'd never really thought about it before so it kind of shook me a bit to realize my native expression for "of course" or "certainly" literally means "true I guess".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I love that, I guess

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

om nom nom posted:

Related to this, Janeway is a war criminal and violated all temporal accords. She betrayed all the values of the Federation. She traveled back in time to destroy the Borg transwarp conduit using future technology, and also infected the Borg with a weaponized virus, and her goal was genocide.

Well done. Sometimes one must break to law, for the greater good.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

apparently danish 2nd gen immigrants will speak more clearly dialectal than "born&raised" danes. heard a theory that its - white kids display "central admin intelligence" whereas the brown kids display "local affiliation"

ps the white kids are kidding themselves, its super easy to tell if theyre from the continent

I can see that, but I assume that instead of proper dialect, it's more of a sociolect? Where it's more linked to your sociological position, and not so much to your geographical origins. This is very much the case in France, where there is not much difference based on location, but immigrants and working class people will speak 'argot' or otherwise informally.

Of course, as usual Flanders is 200 years behind the times and a lot of people speak an actual dialect that is barely intelligible 20 km in either direction.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

doverhog posted:

Related to this, Janeway is a war criminal

Her and that horrible sick fascist president from Battlestar Galactica would've gotten along famously. "Throw them all out the airlock ha ha ha who cares if they're sentient prisoners of war ha ha ha vote for me."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Throw them all out the airlock ha ha ha who cares if they're sentient prisoners of war ha ha ha vote for me."

trump.txt

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

Fixed that for you, bruv.

EDIT: Assuming you're English was a bit of a called shot on my part. If this was incorrect, please let me know so I can make fun of you more accurately.

I am Welsh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trump knowing the word "sentient" is what makes it sci fi

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

sassassin posted:

I am Welsh.

Mae hapusrwydd yn codi ac yn troi yn wir rhywbryd. Llamedos llachgramochoch llochyy pochhyyylll llchllyllyyllchyllchchlly.

TemporalFugue
Jul 9, 2008

sassassin posted:

The proper word is properly.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

sassassin posted:

I am Welsh.

Lol, gently caress off.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

FreudianSlippers posted:

llchllyllyyllchyllchchlly.

please tell me this is the onomatopoeia of a Welsh person laughing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TemporalFugue posted:

The proper word is properly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Barbe a papa (a Quebec French language cartoon in the eighties) means cotton candy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

WHAT

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mister Facetious posted:

Barbe a papa (a Quebec French language cartoon in the eighties) means cotton candy.

T
H
E

F
U
C
K

(but OK I can dig it.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It was an ice cream flavor I spotted in the supermarket, and I was suddenly reminded of it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's cotton candy. It literally means "dad's beard" cause I guess cotton candy looks a bit like a big ol beard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

JoelJoel posted:

It's cotton candy. It literally means "dad's beard" cause I guess cotton candy looks a bit like a big ol beard.

Do not doxx me so much.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do not doxx me so much.

Dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I love you Joel. Please tell your mum I never meant it to end it the way it ended.