Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Yeah all my numerous friends who have played Knack

I'm at chapter 3 and already there's only one other person who's gotten this far. I wonder when they'll have given up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I've really been wanting to play a modern, PS2 era style cartoony game, and free Knack sounds good, but really I'm guessing my time would be better spent just buying Ratchet and Clank for like $5.

Ratchet and Clank is good. Do that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know you've gotta download it again but do saves transfer between the disc and digital versions of games?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think one of the big atmospheric differences from the PS2 version is that the fog isn't nearly as overwhelming. Really brings light to where the dev team saw things as "part of the vision" (wide open empty spaces, minimal dialogue, no other living human characters) and where they saw things as compromises with the hardware (fog, flat/dead foliage, animations being less fluid making Wander seem way more ragdoll-y).

That said, the fog really made for a different tone, think wuthering heights versus idk what you'd think of as epic mongolian folklore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd be really curious to see what Ueda thinks of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jesus Christ this game is loving awesome. Two colossi down. Spent so much time riding this very good horse around taking pics.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really can’t past how terribly designed Knack is as a character.

Visually he is inscrutable. His voice makes absolutely no sense to me, and I don’t understand his bravado and ego at all.

This game feels soooooooo dated and it was a launch title for this console. If I’d spent a dime on this I’d be hella pissed.

Edit: Like if I asked you to draw Mario, Sonic, Kirby, even Crash Bandicoot or hell Kratos from memory you could force a bad likeness.

How would you draw Knack? What is here for a child to glom onto and recognize? What was their plan to get people invested in a pile of pottery with such a deep manly voice?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want to play SotC but then I don't want to again because of the spoilery stuff. Kinda like TLG where I'd like to play again but I don't want to go through it again.

Phalanx > end

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

sotc still a masterpiece

my girlfriend who doesn't really play games was walking by and was immediately like "woah, that looks amazing. i love how there's no poo poo all over the screen. i want to play this"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mandrel posted:

sotc still a masterpiece

my girlfriend who doesn't really play games was walking by and was immediately like "woah, that looks amazing. i love how there's no poo poo all over the screen. i want to play this"

It's art. A game art.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I know you've gotta download it again but do saves transfer between the disc and digital versions of games?

In general, yes, they do. But there are some specific niche cases – some Japanese games, GOTY editions – that don't.

You'd probably want to check for the specific game before you buy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FAUXTON posted:

I think one of the big atmospheric differences from the PS2 version is that the fog isn't nearly as overwhelming. Really brings light to where the dev team saw things as "part of the vision" (wide open empty spaces, minimal dialogue, no other living human characters) and where they saw things as compromises with the hardware (fog, flat/dead foliage, animations being less fluid making Wander seem way more ragdoll-y).

That said, the fog really made for a different tone, think wuthering heights versus idk what you'd think of as epic mongolian folklore.

Even with the pushed back draw distance I still feel like the remake hits that right atmosphere of a long-forgotten and dying land. Not as in physically dying, but as in "a once great civilization stood here, and this is all that remains." When playing through the original I kept coming across all the weird crumbling architecture and thinking about what could have happened over the centuries. The wide open areas really contribute to that feeling of desolation now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/JQWeeaboo/status/961094685644218368

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
SotC looks rad as hell

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

SotC looks rad as hell

That’s because it is rad as hell

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress you guys I love SotC

It’s always been my number one “wish I owned the console for but never did” game

And it lives up to every expectation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm already planning to replay the game on Hard with no UI after I remember what I'm supposed to do for each fight, I think that would be the ideal way to experience SotC.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wander is insanely good at jumping, I’m impressed with his stamina

In the middle of a lake? HURL YOURSELF UPWARDS

Riding on a horse? HURL YOURSELF UPWARDS

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Colossus #4 has a hidden challenge mode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I really can’t past how terribly designed Knack is as a character.

Visually he is inscrutable. His voice makes absolutely no sense to me, and I don’t understand his bravado and ego at all.

This game feels soooooooo dated and it was a launch title for this console. If I’d spent a dime on this I’d be hella pissed.

Edit: Like if I asked you to draw Mario, Sonic, Kirby, even Crash Bandicoot or hell Kratos from memory you could force a bad likeness.

How would you draw Knack? What is here for a child to glom onto and recognize? What was their plan to get people invested in a pile of pottery with such a deep manly voice?

And like he has no discernible character. He talks but he might as well be silent for all his dialogue contributes to the story.

The best thing I can say about his design and honestly the whole game is I think the dodge animation looks really cool.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Stare-Out posted:

Lmao

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stare-Out posted:

That is an unfortunate place to be standing during a fart of that size and length.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played Leifthrasir yet, but while I enjoyed the original version somewhat, Muramasa was much, much better.
Well you're in luck, Leiftrasir essentially lifted the improved framerate, speed and combat mechanics from Muramasa and plopped them into Odin Sphere, along with massively streamlining the growth systems with regards to planting stuff. About the worst I can say about it is that it's sometimes too easy really.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Colossi 4 does not wanna look in these tunnels no matter how much I annoy it, am clearly visible to it when I enter than, etc

I’m really confused

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

HGH posted:

Well you're in luck, Leiftrasir essentially lifted the improved framerate, speed and combat mechanics from Muramasa and plopped them into Odin Sphere, along with massively streamlining the growth systems with regards to planting stuff. About the worst I can say about it is that it's sometimes too easy really.

My only complaint (and I guess it's not really a complaint) with Leifthrasir is it's insane length. I think I just kinda stopped at some point because jesus christ there is a million characters that all take a million years to finish and hoo boy. I mean, not like I didn't know what I was getting into but that game is really long. I also recently replayed Muramasa on Dolphin and it was as amazing as I remembered it. I really wish there were more games like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Colossi 4 does not wanna look in these tunnels no matter how much I annoy it, am clearly visible to it when I enter than, etc

I’m really confused

You don’t want to stay in the tunnel, you want to pop out of another side while he’s still confused and looking for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

You don’t want to stay in the tunnel, you want to pop out of another side while he’s still confused and looking for you.

What you're specifically wanting to do is let him get a peek at you then run along around the tunnel until you get behind him. He'll have stooped down to see where the little human went and give you the chance to climb up his tail.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried that but it basically doesn’t get confused. I pop out the other side and it’s in that general area but strolling around with its head up rather than paying any attention to where it saw me go in.

e: ^^^^ oh!!! I tried leaving it a little later before entering the tunnel and it helped. Thanks.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

exquisite tea posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you're specifically wanting to do is let him get a peek at you then run along around the tunnel until you get behind him. He'll have stooped down to see where the little human went and give you the chance to climb up his tail.

Look at these shameful players, not climbing directly on to the beaded moustache. :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
SotC noobs: make sure you stop at all the shrines you see. Each one has a lizard with a glowing tail running around on it. Shoot it then eat the tail with R2 for a small boost to your max stamina. Also shoot down any orange fruit you see hanging from tree branches and eat it for a small boost to your max health.

I'd also highly advise going into the menu and setting "Dormin hints" to off so can figure out the colossi yourself.

Edit: I found a small cave with some The Last Guardian stuff and got a trophy for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...! posted:

SotC noobs: make sure you stop at all the shrines you see. Each one has a lizard with a glowing tail running around on it. Shoot it then eat the tail with R2 for a small boost to your max stamina. Also shoot down any orange fruit you see hanging from tree branches and eat it for a small boost to your max health.

I'd also highly advise going into the menu and setting "Dormin hints" to off so can figure out the colossi yourself.

I'd say leave the hints on, as they take a long time to occur, they're a brief bit of text that doesn't actually interrupt gameplay, and it's generally around the point you're getting frustrated trying to figure the next step out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I turned Dormin’s hints off because I foolishly thought I’d remember everything, and then did actually get stuck on the sixth colossus for awhile because I forgot what to do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Turn all the hints off, so you can ask us about it here instead of just playing the game”

Stop pushing this “The pure and correct way to experience SotC” agenda and just let people do their thing. SotC was a strong contender for GOAT at its release and honestly Im not sure we’ve got strong competition in the 10+ years it’s been released in terms of the raw and beautiful experience it contains.

Like, this game is so good that instead of everyone riffing on it (like Dark Souls, because that formula is easier to nail)... like NOBODY has tried to imitate it, the entire gaming community as a whole just leaves it alone because we’re all in awe of it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 7, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

“Turn all the hints off, so you can ask us about it here instead of just playing the game”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just found my first of the new "gold coin" things which baffled both me and my friend who has played the original so many times haha

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

Even with the pushed back draw distance I still feel like the remake hits that right atmosphere of a long-forgotten and dying land. Not as in physically dying, but as in "a once great civilization stood here, and this is all that remains." When playing through the original I kept coming across all the weird crumbling architecture and thinking about what could have happened over the centuries. The wide open areas really contribute to that feeling of desolation now.

Yeah if anything my favorite change is this. You come out of the castle after, uh, waking back up, and there's that huge aqueduct thing stretching off into a nearly interminable distance.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

Just found my first of the new "gold coin" things which baffled both me and my friend who has played the original so many times haha

Is that what the shiny thing I would was? My controller was making noises and I couldn't figure out what I picked up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Over There posted:

Is that what the shiny thing I would was? My controller was making noises and I couldn't figure out what I picked up.

Yeah, it's some kind of new bonus secret that no one has completed or understands yet.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's some kind of new bonus secret that no one has completed or understands yet.

Oh okay, I was trying to search for it last night and all I got was a GameFAQs post asking about it with no responses.

That's pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It would be pretty awesome if Bluepoint did sneak in one of the long-rumored cut colossi after all...