Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the journalist confidant worth doing? The palace security decrease seems pretty useless to me unless they start increasing palace security automatically without you getting caught like they do at the final boss part, in later palaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's arguably the least useful skill (Iwai's isn't great either, but at least his link is decent). If you're going to spend time with her it's more for the bonus fusion exp than anything.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just went to Destinyland in the story, post fifth dungeon.

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT????

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ulio posted:

Is the journalist confidant worth doing? The palace security decrease seems pretty useless to me unless they start increasing palace security automatically without you getting caught like they do at the final boss part, in later palaces.

I thought her link was boring and the bonus was useless so I didn't bother after a few levels.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alright ya I thought so. I will probably only spend time with her if I have nothing else do which is getting exceedingly rarer.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It feels like a vestige from an early design where the palace security was a bigger deal than it is now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The game clearly intended for the player to do Palaces in multiple days. Except that, uh, Takemi exists and they didn't gate SP adhesives hard enough.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I didn't know Takemi had SP Adhesives until like, before or maybe even during the Boat level.

I'm stupid as gently caress

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ApplesandOranges posted:

The game clearly intended for the player to do Palaces in multiple days. Except that, uh, Takemi exists and they didn't gate SP adhesives hard enough.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it's likely that security couldn't be decreased normally in the early stages of development, forcing players to leave the dungeon after a while (at least on their first playthrough when they don't know the dungeons well), making the confidant actually useful and relevant. If that's the case I'm glad they didn't go with that because it sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I didn't know Takemi had SP Adhesives until like, before or maybe even during the Boat level.

I'm stupid as gently caress

I did exactly the same thing in my playthrough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AG3 posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it's likely that security couldn't be decreased normally in the early stages of development, forcing players to leave the dungeon after a while (at least on their first playthrough when they don't know the dungeons well), making the confidant actually useful and relevant. If that's the case I'm glad they didn't go with that because it sounds like a pain in the rear end.

I'd be cool with that if security actually did something different, like increasing monster spawns and making the spawns stronger. Then you naturally get forced to leave earlier through SP drain (assuming they didn't give you SP items) but you also benefit from more EXP and cash.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

I did exactly the same thing in my playthrough.

we're Expert Gamers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AG3 posted:

This actually could've been a cool difficulty option instead of just killing your money and exp gain.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For the hardcore option, every non-mandatory fight will raise your security level, but the faster you kill things or with an ambush the lower the security level rises. So at some point you'd have to pick between killing a thing or sneaking past an enemy but missing out on exp/money/etc.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I'd be cool with that if security actually did something different, like increasing monster spawns and making the spawns stronger. Then you naturally get forced to leave earlier through SP drain (assuming they didn't give you SP items) but you also benefit from more EXP and cash.

Higher palace security does actually increase the rate at which Treasure Demons spawn, but that's about it and is pretty pointless as you can just get them all in Mementos...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Speaking of Treasure Demons, I only just realised a few days ago that you're not supposed to kill them. :negative:

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Well hey, you get excellent EXP and money gains from Treasure Demons. As long as you've recruited them once, feel free to kill any subsequent versions of the same one you see.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've only seen two (including the one behind the lasers). The first one ran before I could dent it and the second died in one hit. :smith:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

I've only seen two (including the one behind the lasers). The first one ran before I could dent it and the second died in one hit. :smith:

They show up a lot in Mementos later on. Maybe it’s on Heat Wave days?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I finished the first Palace (the music that plays when they're in high alert mode after seeing the calling card is so good omg) and looked at the "what did everyone else do around now" the next day and laughed a lot because it says the average level is 10 and I'm at 16. I suppose it's skewed from people who hadn't gone back to the Palace though.

Also because I'm pretty sure I saw this but not entirely sure: the mini-boss in the slave room was totally the head of a dick, right?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the best thing about sending the calling card is easily when you arrive in the Metaverse, and the instrumental version of Life Will Change kicks in. I don't know if it'll lose its impact by the end of the game, but after 4 Palaces and listening to it on YouTube a LOT since last year, it still gets me completely pumped.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ya that’s one of the two versions of Mara this series has.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Ulio posted:

Maybe a bit late but yes, it's worth doing... for the Charm bump. Doing the Confidant links for Devil and Sun is the best way to get your Charm up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Are there any other Confidants who boost your social stats like that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Knowledge: Star
Guts: Death
Proficiency: Hanged Man
Charm: Devil, Sun
Kindness: Tower, Hierophant

There might be more but just off the top of my head

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Maybe a bit late but yes, it's worth doing... for the Charm bump. Doing the Confidant links for Devil and Sun is the best way to get your Charm up.

Ya I already maxed Sun. First half of the game you have no confidants for night time so I just rushed him.

I even forgot about Ichiko because after the first time you hang out in the bar with her she doesn't even make a contract with you and never msgs you. So you actually don't even get rank 1 until you go a 2nd time to her on your own time. It's weird because Morgana/the game try to remind you of every single thing you can do nonstop. Like before rank 1 with Becky she will remind you each day wednesday, friday, saturday you can contact Becky.

I also wasted many nights with Sojiro not realizing his social link is gated until a certain date...Sojiro is cool so it wasn't too bad but I wish the game was more direct about it. Instead of just saying I don't think your bond will grow now. Because each time you spend time with him you get the music note animation that he liked you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ulio posted:

I also wasted many nights with Sojiro not realizing his social link is gated until a certain date...Sojiro is cool so it wasn't too bad but I wish the game was more direct about it. Instead of just saying I don't think your bond will grow now. Because each time you spend time with him you get the music note animation that he liked you.

What?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love how Sae's deductions about your confidants get more and more contrived.

"There's no way you could've pulled off these crimes with bad breath. You were being helped by someone with ties to the oral hygiene industry."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

I love how Sae's deductions about your confidants get more and more contrived.

"There's no way you could've pulled off these crimes with bad breath. You were being helped by someone with ties to the oral hygiene industry."

I feel like Sae gets a lot of poo poo considering the fact that you were basically using magic to do everything.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like Sae gets a lot of poo poo considering the fact that you were basically using magic to do everything.

The only time I hated her was when she was:

1)Mean to Sojiro

and

2)Mean to Makoto

She at least apologized for #2.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
K so. My only SMT experience before this was P4 Golden on the PSP, and I didn't play it long because for some reason it didn't hook me.

This one TOTALLY has tho. So I have been playing completely blind so far, but as I've skimmed over guides, a question has come to mind:

How much am I missing out on by not getting confidants at the earliest possible times, and maxing out my stats and things? Like I have done pretty well at some, but like...I didn't even know about checking out books from the library until I was already past the first Dungeon, so I have missed a good bit there from what I can tell.

What I'm asking is: am I fine and should just keep going? Or should I start over since I am still fairly early and do better?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just enjoy your first run through. Worry about min-maxing on your second time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I do hate that failing to min max means you miss out on story closure with your confidants. Especially since you'll be quite far along with the ones you can't finish by the end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just enjoy your first run through. Worry about min-maxing on your second time.

What if I want to worry about min-maxing on my first runthrough because I don't want to do a second playthrough? What then, ApplesandOranges?

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
The only way you're gonna complete every confidant on your first playthrough is by using a guide and minmaxing every interaction. It's not even fun imo

Just do it in NG+

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

You can max every confidant if you rush Fortune 7 and Temperance 10 for time saving. Death 7 isn't strictly required, but helps a lot logistically via SP Adhesive 3s.

Money is power and showering older women with money brings power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What in the gently caress is supposed to go on the shelf in my room?

I have a chocolate fountain, crane game stuffed animals, but not a gosh darned thing on my shelf.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

NachtSieger posted:

You can max every confidant if you rush Fortune 7 and Temperance 10 for time saving. Death 7 isn't strictly required, but helps a lot logistically via SP Adhesive 3s.
This reads like I'm having a stroke. I understand the individual words, but otherwise it makes no sense.

quote:

Money is power and showering older women with money brings power.

This is good advice for irl too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Shinjobi posted:

What in the gently caress is supposed to go on the shelf in my room?

I have a chocolate fountain, crane game stuffed animals, but not a gosh darned thing on my shelf.

Gifts other characters give you. Take Ryuji to the ramen stand and he'll give you a commemorative bowl. Then click on the shelf and when Morgana tells you to decorate then choose the bowl and you can put it on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HaB posted:

This reads like I'm having a stroke. I understand the individual words, but otherwise it makes no sense.

The fortune and temperance confidants have immense time saving abilities when you rank them up. Fortune allows you to gain more points towards rank ups, which vastly decreases the number of times you need to hang out without a rank up and waste days. Temperence does some stuff for you like making coffee/washing clothes etc you would otherwise need to waste a time slot on.

Death has a shop that unlocks more stock as you level it. At rank 7 it unlocks SP restoring accessories which regenerate SP every turn in battle which means you spend fewer days in Palaces and have more time to do confidants since running out of SP stops being a concern.

Also always make sure to have a persona of the proper sign in your party when hanging out. So make sure you always have a chariot when hanging out with Ryuji, etc since it'll also increase the points you get.