Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Hopefully John C. Reilly will survive the attack and come back as Nova.

This is literally all I've wanted since he was first cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm stoked to see Black Panther next week.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

John C Reilly will give his life in a futile but heroic attempt.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I'm stoked to see Black Panther next week.

A friend is letting me go on his movie pass and I'm HYPED.

Everyone I know is about it. I seen folks planning on what to wear like they're going to a red carpet event. I'm living for it!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/960928855266611200

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I mean I guess I get what he's trying to say...

But Y tho?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I for one unironically hope that it does in fact go on and on about the evil of whiteness

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProducerTD/status/960949499542700032

Someone lock Armand White in a trunk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:discourse:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

I for one unironically hope that it does in fact go on and on about the evil of whiteness

And/or colonialism, which is pretty close!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have seen more than one unironic "They gave the FAILING Last Jedi good reviews too :qq:" reaction. :v:

Is the meme that Disney bribes Rotten Tomatoes so Marvel movies get good reviews or that they bribe Rotten Tomatoes to give DC movies bad ones? It's one or the other but I can't remember.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have seen more than one unironic "They gave the FAILING Last Jedi good reviews too :qq:" reaction. :v:

I love the fanboys who complain about SJW's say that Last Jedi was a failure. It made 1.3 billion for christ sake!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is the meme that Disney bribes Rotten Tomatoes so Marvel movies get good reviews or that they bribe Rotten Tomatoes to give DC movies bad ones? It's one or the other but I can't remember.

It's both

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I’m really glad to hear that BP has actual thematic content about race and colonialism, even though I’m sure it’s inevitably limited by the constraints of blockbuster superhero filmmaking. Certain other “diverse” superhero films could learn from that; I liked Wonder Woman, but it’s amazing how it had absolutely nothing to say about gender roles aside from a few quips here and there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's whatever they need it to be in that moment

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's fascinating how the whole "fans vs critics" thing seems to have crystallised around DC superhero movies. I'm not talking about BvS or anything (I know there's a thread moratorium on it); I remember reading that critics who gave The Dark Knight Rises middling reviews got death threats over them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not like Dark Knight Rises got savaged, either. The consensus was "Eh, it's not quite as good as Dark Knight, little sloppy, plot's a bit all over the place and the villain isn't as strong. Still dece."

Although a lot of teenagers who get their opinions on film from youtube yelling-mans who didn't like Inception had already decided that film was going to be a piece of poo poo before it came out, so who knows how any of this works.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I like the idea that critics can't be fans.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crossposting because, drat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I read an article earlier saying Kendrick was only going to contribute a couple of songs because he always wanted to work with Coogler, then they showed him a working copy and he wanted to do the whole thing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've already had somebody claim to me that Black Panther has a 100% because of an "anti alt-right" embargo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Any critic identifying as alt-right absolutely should be embargoed. Forever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Roth posted:

I've already had somebody claim to me that Black Panther has a 100% because of an "anti alt-right" embargo

Ahahahahahahahaha

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

You should counter by saying the only reason it has 100% is because Armond White hasn't reviewed it yet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

drat you Soros :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

You should counter by saying the only reason it has 100% is because Armond White hasn't reviewed it yet.

Plot twist: he’s going to give it a positive review as a kiss of death.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This has to happen. I want it. I need it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Glenn Close instead.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn't armond white have this creepy negative review of Get Out calling it a black movie for white people, or something?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mycot posted:

Didn't armond white have this creepy negative review of Get Out calling it a black movie for white people, or something?

That sounds about right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

I like the idea that critics can't be fans.

It's not that they can't, but they probably shouldn't be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not real journalists, it doesn't really matter.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Has anybody read the IMDB plot summary for Deadpool 2?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mycot posted:

He really wants to be Pauline Kael in how contrarian his viewpoints are, but just ends up being Ted Rall except less pathetic

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Has anybody read the IMDB plot summary for Deadpool 2?

Just in case it's not available for everyone

Skullpoopl marketing campaign was a bit irritating, but considering the smashing success that the movie turned out to be, they'll most likely double down on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool 2 trailer is live

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/961239824194666496

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I will go and watch that movie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Salon/status/960985253853761536

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

People always forget about Blade. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JordanKai posted:

People always forget about Blade. :(

Was Blade really a blockbuster though?

I always put Blade and Spawn on the same level of films as like.. the Underworld films. I as a kid when they came out tho so I wasn't paying attention to how much money they made.

• Locked thread