Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MoaM posted:

I disagree man, I haven't played in an all-spanish team for a loooooong time and I literally saved Google Translate as a bookmark (so that they could understand my flames when those dudes fight over last hits at mid or refuse to fully support the team on heroes like Io).

Nothing like playing in a US server while pretending you only speak Spanish.

Dejadme solo medio, quiero probar Invoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Smythe posted:

ive always enjoyed trying to talk to ppl in my broken rear end high school spanish

*peggy hill voice* hola senors. donde esta la ancient

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elman posted:

Nothing like playing in a US server while pretending you only speak Spanish.

Dejadme solo medio, quiero probar Invoker.

its abso loving lutely the best because they fall for it every goddamn time and freak the gently caress out

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

i mean, what are you going to do, have a duolingo popquiz before you queue, and what difference does it make if its some guy speaking spanish or some guy who speaks english but just muted you and dgaf???

And now you have people complaining about queue times again, and people complaining about huge disparities in the matches they get, it's always going to be a tradeoff

I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever in language issues since the patch, but now it takes 3 times as long to find a game.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

lol

Craig K fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 6, 2018

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
One time I queued w tcjimbo and he was getting all tilted and losing us the game, and one of the Brazilian guys we queued into pings him a few times and asks why he's jungling as we lose our barracks

"I'm just farming so tha-"

"FARMING??" And both Brazilian guys laughed harder than I've ever heard anyone laugh in my life

Language filters are bad

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

a lot going on here

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you missed out on the aether lens/ with aether lens you can hit net into meteor hammer from outside night vision range

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

RisqueBarber posted:

a lot going on here

when keepin' it divine courage goes right

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Naga Meteor Hammer is good imo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://medium.com/@STRATZ/dota-2-item-timings-22d2dbd76bc4

Stats writeup about item timings

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

It seems self-explanatory that getting items sooner will have give you a higher win rate but it is nice to see what items should be prioritized on certain heroes. That being said, I never understood echo sabre on CK. If you go armlet into echo I think you end up selling the echo sabre 10 minutes later because you need a better mid game item like manta or bkb.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

RisqueBarber posted:

That being said, I never understood echo sabre on CK. If you go armlet into echo I think you end up selling the echo sabre 10 minutes later because you need a better mid game item like manta or bkb.

It proccing gets you a slow that means you might not have to use your stun to keep someone in attack range and it means extra chances to crit because the "extra attack" it gives you is just a huge attack speed buff for the following attack.

RisqueBarber posted:

It seems self-explanatory that getting items sooner will have give you a higher win rate but it is nice to see what items should be prioritized on certain heroes.

The stats themselves are interesting but not really useful or actionable in any way. It all still comes down to "are you doing well enough that you will get your items before the other team gets theirs?", it is not at all surprising or helpful to know that someone doing well enough to get their items in half the time it usually takes is more likely to win.

I think the article is mostly bunk in that there is a focus on the supposed value of buying a big item at the right time, and talking about being greedy so you can hit your timings strikes me as being a bullshit way to emphasize that you want to play well enough that you have enough gold to buy your poo poo as early as possible.

I don't want to downplay how interesting the stats themselves are, but it would be better if there was more of a focus in the article on weighing up choices between items and maybe how timings affect the actual viability of items as well as talking about when it's a good idea to give up on a certain item in favour of something else, or on how or how prioritizing which heroes getting rich might affect the winrate the most(which they touch on with DP and euls timing).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The graphs were interesting, but the concept of "if you have a bad lane and your item timing gets delayed, your win rate goes down" feels sort of obvious.

It's weird that the Tinker Blink Dagger timing is #1 for high MMR but the Tinker BoT timing doesn't appear on the list at all: usually you think of BoT as the item that enables Tinker to start putting pressure on the map (with Blink Dagger as the follow-up item that just lets him do it more safely).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RisqueBarber posted:

It seems self-explanatory that getting items sooner will have give you a higher win rate but it is nice to see what items should be prioritized on certain heroes. That being said, I never understood echo sabre on CK. If you go armlet into echo I think you end up selling the echo sabre 10 minutes later because you need a better mid game item like manta or bkb.
If you skip Sabre and get a more expensive defensive item how are you getting kills? And if you aren't getting kills how are you keeping up with carries who can farm?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Incoherence posted:

The graphs were interesting, but the concept of "if you have a bad lane and your item timing gets delayed, your win rate goes down" feels sort of obvious.

It's weird that the Tinker Blink Dagger timing is #1 for high MMR but the Tinker BoT timing doesn't appear on the list at all: usually you think of BoT as the item that enables Tinker to start putting pressure on the map (with Blink Dagger as the follow-up item that just lets him do it more safely).

I feel like they excluded boots and forgot to not exclude bots... The graphs are nice to have an idea of when items are most effective, but it's not really surprising that the answer is "early"

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

lohli posted:

It proccing gets you a slow that means you might not have to use your stun to keep someone in attack range and it means extra chances to crit because the "extra attack" it gives you is just a huge attack speed buff for the following attack.

I understand why some players build it. It gives mana regen, an extra proc to crit, and good stats for an illusion based hero. The slow is only 0.7 seconds so while its nice, you'll still have to use your stun.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you skip Sabre and get a more expensive defensive item how are you getting kills? And if you aren't getting kills how are you keeping up with carries who can farm?

My timing starts with the armlet. Once I get armlet, treads, and wand (typically around 12 minutes) I try to pick a fight with Phantasm. Phantasm has a 145 sec cool down so once it's on cool down I go back to farming. If at this point in the game I decide to go echo sabre, I'll finish it around 18 minutes (17:44 is the average time according to that chart Kild linked). At this same time the enemy team is hitting their item timings which (according to Kild's chart) could range from an earth shaker getting his blink (19:13) or invoker getting his aghs (21 mins). I'd rather be 1300 off bkb than have an echo sabre for the next fight.

It's not that I don't think echo sabre is a good item, I just don't think Chaos Knight has time to get both and if I had to pick one I'm picking Armlet every time(unless I'm against ancient apparition).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Death Bot posted:

I feel like they excluded boots and forgot to not exclude bots... The graphs are nice to have an idea of when items are most effective, but it's not really surprising that the answer is "early"

I think whats more interesting are situations where rushing an item is bad like they mentioned Storm's orchid being useful <15m but past that starts getting countered by people getting Euls/Manta and other counters. They also mentioned blink on Lion.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Incoherence posted:

That's one of the downsides of statistics: it usually takes more time, resources, and effort than it's worth to get a useful or insightful result.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
bring back true all pick. none of this turns bullshit.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
What do you guys think of the nacho fries? Nothing special imo

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

They're entirely edible but I've never had a fry so bland

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Techies, still a great hero.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Incoherence posted:

The purpose of stats is to see past the obvious. Blink dagger is when Tinker goes from being able to farm to being able to chase people down and be a total pest that's hard to gank. If a Tinker gets an early BoTs but you never let him get to blink you're gosu

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The slow on echo saber also works nicely with the fact that CK is one of the fastest heroes in the game. 0.7 sounds like not much but you can really easily get in range for 1-2 more strikes in that time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

RisqueBarber posted:

I understand why some players build it. It gives mana regen, an extra proc to crit, and good stats for an illusion based hero. The slow is only 0.7 seconds so while its nice, you'll still have to use your stun.

My timing starts with the armlet. Once I get armlet, treads, and wand (typically around 12 minutes) I try to pick a fight with Phantasm. Phantasm has a 145 sec cool down so once it's on cool down I go back to farming. If at this point in the game I decide to go echo sabre, I'll finish it around 18 minutes (17:44 is the average time according to that chart Kild linked). At this same time the enemy team is hitting their item timings which (according to Kild's chart) could range from an earth shaker getting his blink (19:13) or invoker getting his aghs (21 mins). I'd rather be 1300 off bkb than have an echo sabre for the next fight.

It's not that I don't think echo sabre is a good item, I just don't think Chaos Knight has time to get both and if I had to pick one I'm picking Armlet every time(unless I'm against ancient apparition).

I usually skip BKB on CK and go with Heart and Manta (order depending on how I feel fights are going). BKB has always been the third late game purchase for a CK for me and honestly the game rarely lasts that long to need it. I think Echo Sabre is absolutely essential for building up your early kills and starting a decent lane push going.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The 7.09 update was just released no hero updates but a bunch of overall gameplay update in this one.

https://www.dota2.com/news/updates/37271/

Man, it would be nice if we had a MOBA sub forums so I wouldn't have to dredge this thread out from 8 pages back on the Games Forum.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

your user control panel could be a moba subforum if you really wanted it to be

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

That’s a cool patch.
* Initial bounty rune now gives +40 gold to all heroes instead of 100 to the hero that picks it up (those bounty runes look slightly different)

* Killing a neutral camp stack now gives a bonus 15% gold bounty to the hero that stacked it. No bonus is given if the stack is cleared by an enemy or the hero that stacked it. (New audio is now played once a stack is successful. Stacked neutrals have a buff with the stacker's hero icon on it)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im glad theyre doing more to make creep stacking an actual gameplay feature and less of a weird byproduct of the war3 engine

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

im glad theyre doing more to make creep stacking an actual gameplay feature and less of a weird byproduct of the war3 engine

It's nice to see Valve making more of an effort to make Dota better for beginners. When they first introduced ward ranges and creep spawn boxes a lot of older players complained that Valve was "making it too easy" and then those patches stopped for a while.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

sounds like a good reason to storm enemy jungle for the game start rune

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
more teamfight is always good

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Looke posted:

sounds like a good reason to storm enemy jungle for the game start rune

Aren't people already doing that in at least one of the enemy jungles every game any ways?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

more teamfight is always good

No thanks. I want to iron talon creeps for 20 minutes in the woods and mute my teammates.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i'm 1 k so idk

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So snatching an extra rune is a 400 gold swing? Although maybe a 200 gold swing on your top positions mattered more anyway IDK.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So snatching an extra rune is a 400 gold swing? Although maybe a 200 gold swing on your top positions mattered more anyway IDK.
It means you won't have mid players immediately sending out a salve on the courier anymore, because they start with less gold and get less gold from the 0 minute bounty. The courier buyer starts with a lot more gold, though: even in 2k pubs where there's only one support, you can do the old wand rush build (tangoes, 2 branches, mango, 2 obs, courier).

The stack thing is the kind of weird Dota change that I'm not sure how to feel about : it gives supports an incentive to be stacking in the jungle instead of camping lanes, which might be good or bad, and creates a side benefit for cores that can easily kill big stacks like TA and Sven.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
even with the visual/audio improvements to stacking it still feels like a super clunky relic of a dated engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

At this point, I'm not sure why they don't just make the courier free and there by default.