Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

this makes no sense. why doesn't he just use his office 365 one drive?

you mean sharepoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NEED MORE MILK posted:

you mean sharepoint?

SharePointXBoxLive365OneDrive For Businesstm?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EnergizerFellow posted:

Google Finance is just complete trash now. It was pretty decent under the old UI, but the new UI is just useless. Sad when it back to the only good thing Yahoo had, Yahoo Finance.

it’s amazing how they identified their best features and immediately replaced them with terrible garbage versions that are completely useless.

want to see a chart? here, we’ve smoothed it out for you so you can’t see the fluctuations. also not showing volume anymore. also we took out all the good chart comparison features.

want to see comparisons to other companies? we’ve replaced the table that showed a dozen companies and lots of stats with three giant squares that just show their price change.

want to see related news articles? go gently caress yourself

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

it’s amazing how they identified their best features and immediately replaced them with terrible garbage versions that are completely useless.

want to see a chart? here, we’ve smoothed it out for you so you can’t see the fluctuations. also not showing volume anymore. also we took out all the good chart comparison features.

want to see comparisons to other companies? we’ve replaced the table that showed a dozen companies and lots of stats with three giant squares that just show their price change.

want to see related news articles? go gently caress yourself

Is this a paywall thing? Is there, like, Google Finance Pro that is just "Google Finance from like 5 years ago (plus it has Google Reader still)"?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Krakox posted:

Google did something to the Google music UI now and I can't select multiple albums and it's annoying and why do we live in a world where software gets worse

I feel like it is everyone using data driven design and making decisions like "95% of users don't use feature A so we can remove it" without considering that doing that five times could be affecting up to 25% of your user base.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Is this a paywall thing? Is there, like, Google Finance Pro that is just "Google Finance from like 5 years ago (plus it has Google Reader still)"?

google rewards you for "we remade a thing that already worked" even if you qualify it with "and now it sucks rear end"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Google will be a case study in how not to structure incentives and run a company

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

where does it say they have a 365 account?

I assumed it was for a business thing so he would have a 365 account.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

Google will be a case study in how not to structure incentives and run a company
the part where they overpaid their key self driving auto engineers so much in retention bonuses that they could afford to quit and either retire or start their own companies will never not be funny

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

???

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

markets arent rational. try again.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

doesn’t google own part of Uber anyways

yeah the part making self driving cars

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

cis autodrag posted:

I mean sure stocks are overpriced right now, but there's a bit of a difference between Tesla's magical investor fairy tale, and 100 billion in annual revenue with a 25% profit margin.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

I mean sure stocks are overpriced right now, but there's a bit of a difference between Tesla's magical investor fairy tale, and 100 billion in annual revenue with a 25% profit margin.

durrr but Google must be bad because it's not blessed by the ghost of stebe, the cancer spirit

See also all the shrieking the same people did that "Microsoft is becoming the new IBM" as if 100 years of doing very well would be a bad fate

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i went to one of those old timey forts where everyone is dressed up in period pieces and there's a blacksmith and stuff and they had a two foot wide international business machines cheese grater from the 1890s it was cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i went to one of those old timey forts where everyone is dressed up in period pieces and there's a blacksmith and stuff and they had a two foot wide international business machines cheese grater from the 1890s it was cool.

i wonder if in two hundred years there will be some weird early 21st century place where a bunch of people are paid to dress and act like we do googling poo poo on a windows computer and playing music on an ipod and everyone staring at phones all the time

i like to think thered be a bunch of inaccuracies that would annoy us like the google page not matching era of the os but the people visiting could see the whole thing and think "this whole way of life is ridiculous" and that would make the whole reenactment village worthwhile

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ibm non computer equipment is neat and that would be a cool thing to stumble on while totally out of context for their normal business today

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LastInLine posted:

i wonder if in two hundred years there will be some weird early 21st century place where a bunch of people are paid to dress and act like we do googling poo poo on a windows computer and playing music on an ipod and everyone staring at phones all the time

i like to think thered be a bunch of inaccuracies that would annoy us like the google page not matching era of the os but the people visiting could see the whole thing and think "this whole way of life is ridiculous" and that would make the whole reenactment village worthwhile

like that futurama episode, with cowboys rocket packing after dinos in nyc, but somehow worse. a lot of people appling topics on their blackberry 7s while waiting in line at the google store

a selfie booth where they make the visitors use a tripod between three friends for group photos outside a recreated starbucks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a penny flattener where it shapes a token into the form of a 'bit coin' with a simulated ticker showing wild fluctuations

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a something awful with good posts

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

a something awful with good posts

that already exists friend

heres another one

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

mrmcd posted:

Monopoly ad business: good.
Everything else they do: money fires.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

You could point to microsoft's stock in the 90s too as an indication things were going great without realizing it would turn into a pile of warring fiefdoms that would stagnate for a decade.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the only thing that makes google money is advertising and just lol if you aren't looking at the state of privacy for iPhones/Macs and realizing that the ad gravy train is nearly over

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
number go up, company good!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ADINSX posted:

You could point to microsoft's stock in the 90s too as an indication things were going great without realizing it would turn into a pile of warring fiefdoms that would stagnate for a decade.

haha, msft is up 226% over the same five years man :D

while i think it for a serious conversation is pretty wrong i think cis autodrag had exactly the right initial post, who cares what the market thinks unless you're managing your pension by way of yospos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft is a consistent money making machine with windows and office and now some cloud stuff. they are not growing fast and all the money they don’t burn on xbox and bing and other worthless garbage they throw back at shareholders.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

haha, msft is up 226% over the same five years man :D

while i think it for a serious conversation is pretty wrong i think cis autodrag had exactly the right initial post, who cares what the market thinks unless you're managing your pension by way of yospos

I said a decade. Microsoft stagnated for a decade in the aughts.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

Microsoft is a consistent money making machine with windows and office and now some cloud stuff. they are not growing fast and all the money they don’t burn on xbox and bing and other worthless garbage they throw back at shareholders.

Xbox and bing are both profitable. Plus bing has the added incentive of massively increasing Google's traffic acquisition costs. The pointless money fires today are in research (bing Microsoft quantum computer) and Windows (bing Microsoft Andromeda).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ADINSX posted:

I said a decade. Microsoft stagnated for a decade in the aughts.

that is just a nonsense idea of a comparison though, "sure microsoft has made a lot of money at most points you could have invested, but had you picked the time frame just after the it bubble you would have had to make do on the dividends!"

google and microsoft has by market measures been fine companies at just about every point, but getting bogged down in the nitty-gritty of making money is not really the yospos viewpoint to take i feel

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

cis autodrag posted:

Case in point being the rise and fall of Blackberry, Nokia, and General Motors who are all case studies in systemic mismanagement that Google seems hell-bent on recreating in various forms.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ADINSX posted:

except microsoft has continued to do great the whole time even though its stock didn't recover quickly after the gigantic tech bubble???

even though morons who are dumb enough to think steve jobs was a good leader thought microsoft stganated between 2001 and 2011 or whatever, that doesn't mean that actually happened.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft is taking the tried and true avenue of moving into consulting and services over consumer products

google doesn't have anything they could get 100 mil a year in license fees from a bank or government for and everything they have an offering in has dozens of competitors

I once heard how much one division of a large bank gives to oracle and it's no surprise why larry owns a hawaiian island

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

multiposting because nest officially ran out of leash

quote:

Since Nest joined Google four years ago, the team has experienced incredible momentum. The company doubled its hardware portfolio last year—selling more devices in 2017 than the previous two years combined. Meanwhile, Google has sold tens of millions of products for the home in just the last year, as more people use the Google Assistant to listen to their favorite music, control their connected devices, and get useful information about their day.

To build on this momentum, we're excited to bring the Nest and Google Hardware teams together. The goal is to supercharge Nest’s mission: to create a more thoughtful home, one that takes care of the people inside it and the world around it. By working together, we’ll continue to combine hardware, software and services to create a home that’s safer, friendlier to the environment, smarter and even helps you save money—built with Google’s artificial intelligence and the Assistant at the core.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
:rip: nest

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

multiposting because nest officially ran out of leash
"incredible momentum"

you know what else has incredible momentum? an anvil dropped out of an airplace

godspeed, nest

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qirex posted:

microsoft is taking the tried and true avenue of moving into consulting and services over consumer products

Nah. To grow at Microsoft's scale you need to do both and you can't give up on consumers. Keep in mind that essentially all of the major corporations and governments on the planet already cut Microsoft really big loving checks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

Microsoft is a consistent money making machine with windows and office and now some butt stuff.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i've never seen such a mismatch of vision and ability to execute as nest. usually it's the opposite, like msr or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i've never seen such a mismatch of vision and ability to execute as nest. usually it's the opposite, like msr or something.
people trying to imitate parts of stebe jorbs routine (in this case, his obsessive perfectionism) without actually being stebe jorbs is a neverending source of lols

• Locked thread