Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

People always forget about Blade. :(

It just says "hero" so it also forgets Will Smith.

But of course even it said "superhero" it would still be forgetting Will Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Blade was a drat trilogy too. And it wasn't some obscure thing it was a pretty decently popular action flick, at least 1-2

It even got a lovely TV series

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Lobok posted:

But of course even it said "superhero" it would still be forgetting Will Smith.

Yeah but to be fair, nobody wants to remember Suicide Squad.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah but to be fair, nobody wants to remember Suicide Squad.

Or Hancock

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zzulu posted:

Blade was a drat trilogy too. And it wasn't some obscure thing it was a pretty decently popular action flick, at least 1-2

It even got a lovely TV series

Blade was an R-rated film with a production budget of $45 million (which even accounting for inflation is maybe $100 million today) that had a domestic gross of $70 million. Black Panther is an entirely different scale of film.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Independence Day yall, is the reference.

It's a recency bias thing, people always want to believe they're living in a time that's the best/worst/first/most whatever.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh God, I thought we agreed as a society to forget Hancock.

Men In Black is still Will Smith's best film imo.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

I'm sorry, Terry Crews is in this? Who is he playing?
Also, that's loving Shatterstar behind him. I don't care if that shot is from a throwaway gag, I'm jazzed.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm sorry, Terry Crews is in this? Who is he playing?

G. W. Bridge?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I feel like that Salon headline is constructed in an attempt to exclude Blade (and probably every Will Smith film) for whatever reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

irlZaphod posted:

I feel like that Salon headline is constructed in an attempt to exclude Blade (and probably every Will Smith film) for whatever reason.

Yeah, "blockbuster-format" is an odd term that seems to combine budget with something like accessible and all-ages. The R-rated Wesley Snipes vampire action film doesn't fit that bill I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Koalas March posted:

Was Blade really a blockbuster though?

It definitely was. It wasn't Titanic or anything, but it made a bunch of money and had a decent budget.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was released at the end of August, which is still a good spot but outside your usual big summer blockbuster range. Movies were only making like $500 million max back then so $130 million is pretty solid, but it was only the 29th ranked movie for 98.

So I could see not counting Blade. But not counting Will Smith stuff is just dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not counting Blade as a blockbuster is fine. Not counting Independence Day or Men in Black is ridiculous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That makes May pretty stuffed; Infinity War, Solo and Deadpool 2 are all being released then.

Also Blade was not a blockbuster, it was a mid level action movie that was successful. Blockbuster is as mentioned Titanic or Jurassic Park of that era. Would you think Kingsmen is a blockbuster in comparison to Civil War?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

G. W. Bridge?

I've always avoided 90s X-Force so I hadn't heard of that character outside of trading cards, totally forgot he existed.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Independence Day was an ensemble cast. MiB had Will Smith sharing the spotlight with Tommy Lee Jones, who was still a major box office draw at the time. So I can see how either of those might not count.

Hancock probably should count, though, even if it wasn't critically beloved.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's ok to admit that they ignored Blade for the sake of a headline. We don't have to also collectively pretend like leaving Blade out was anything more than that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Everyone is leaving out Shaquille O Neal's Steel.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Where the gently caress was my man Shatterstar? Was he one of the yellow suited dudes?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That Deadpool trailer had me in tears from laughing so much. It's hard to believe that once upon a time, none of this was going to happen.

Edit: Oh my god the plot description on YouTube;

quote:

After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor – finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World’s Best Lover.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 7, 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Where the gently caress was my man Shatterstar? Was he one of the yellow suited dudes?

In the helicopter shot between Terry Crews and Deadpool. Right before the fat kid flips us off.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shageletic posted:

That's definitely him in between Deadpool and Terry Crews.

e: Beaten! :arghfist:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 7, 2018

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

In the helicopter shot between Terry Crews and Deadpool. Right before the fat kid flips us off.

That fat kid is Ricky Baker and if you don’t know who that is go watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople right now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

It's on my list.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

That makes May pretty stuffed; Infinity War, Solo and Deadpool 2 are all being released then.

Also Blade was not a blockbuster, it was a mid level action movie that was successful. Blockbuster is as mentioned Titanic or Jurassic Park of that era. Would you think Kingsmen is a blockbuster in comparison to Civil War?

Eh, the definitions of movie size/impact have changed over the years, and I'd have considered Blade to be a fairly major release back then (close enough to blockbuster) , although not a superhero movie based on advertising. Titanic and JP were on the opposite end of the same category. What claasifies as a blockbuster now has changed due to the superhero tent pole movies eating so much of the action movie box office.

Also Bad Boys was pretty huge.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

It was released at the end of August, which is still a good spot but outside your usual big summer blockbuster range. Movies were only making like $500 million max back then so $130 million is pretty solid, but it was only the 29th ranked movie for 98.

So I could see not counting Blade. But not counting Will Smith stuff is just dumb.

What about Blade 2. That did even better AND it had Ron Pearlman in it!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

Everyone is leaving out Shaquille O Neal's Steel.

And Abar: The First Black Superman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have a feeling Deadpool 2 is going to be a big disappointment for a lot of people. It’s tough to catch lightning in a bottle twice, doubly so for a comedy.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I feel like we’re all forgetting the blockbusters Blankman and Meteor Man...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey, has anyone seem reliable sources saying that venom actually *is* associated with Spider-Man? I read something on sidekick. Com or some poo poo saying that Holland was on set and Fiege is actually involved

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soonmot posted:

Hey, has anyone seem reliable sources saying that venom actually *is* associated with Spider-Man? I read something on sidekick. Com or some poo poo saying that Holland was on set and Fiege is actually involved
I have not seen any confirmation of that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

That's definitely him in between Deadpool and Terry Crews.

e: Beaten! :arghfist:

So I guess we know a couple of people in X-Force now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

So I guess we know a couple of people in X-Force now.
This IGN article suggests that the other people in the helicopter are Garrison Kane, Shatterstar, and that Terry Crews is either Bedlam or G.W. Bridge. The costume Crews is wearing is pretty much dead on for Bedlam.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/07/who-are-deadpools-new-teammates

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Even though Venom’s been lame forever, I always liked that first appearance in 299. The way it looked like Spidey then grew that wicked smile was grand back in the day. Never liked the mega-jaw, dagger teeth and snake tongue look but creepy smiley Spider-Man owned and the teaser poster brings it to mind for some reason.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

FlamingLiberal posted:

This IGN article suggests that the other people in the helicopter are Garrison Kane, Shatterstar, and that Terry Crews is either Bedlam or G.W. Bridge. The costume Crews is wearing is pretty much dead on for Bedlam.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/07/who-are-deadpools-new-teammates

That sounds more like 6 Pack then X force to be honest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sixpack deserves to be in a movie

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Sixpack deserves to be in a movie

Possibly coming to tv!