Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
*French* No John, you are the demons! *French*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

It’s true that I killed Cernel Joson, and yet I am not his murderer.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I gave up on EYE when the stupid autosave function didn't work and lost me a load of progress. Is there any way to use manual saves these days?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No. You can never lose more than one mission’s worth of progress though.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Heyo folks! If anyone's ever fancied making a Quake map, but didn't know how to start, here's a really handy tutorial on how to get all the tools set up and get your first map going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gONePWocbqA

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Uncle Kitchener posted:

"I must fight the mentors!"

"No, John. Your legs are okay."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Max Wilco posted:

"I must fight the mentors!"

"No, John. Your legs are okay."

You gain Brouzouf
You gain Brouzouf
You gain Brouzouf
You gain Brouzouf
You gain Brouzouf
You gain Brouzouf
You gain Brouzouf

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Heavy_D posted:

Heyo folks! If anyone's ever fancied making a Quake map, but didn't know how to start, here's a really handy tutorial on how to get all the tools set up and get your first map going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gONePWocbqA

This is good. No waffling around. I hope he cranks a few more out too.

===============================

e: Hah... I had posted this in the mapping channel of the Quake.World discord server, and it looks like one of the more active guys in there tried to do "hilarious" running commentary on the video. Which boils down to them repeatedly objecting to things being performed/recorded on Windows (which almost all potential Quake mappers would use.)

quote:

"as you can see, windows explorer has a built-in find -name feature, but it's much slower as it uses ntfs's file indexing"
"now that you've created your first box map, you will notice that my menu bar is transparent, isn't that neat?"
"all of this is going through a compositor, so while it might appear that my mouse is running at 35hz, in actuality it's running at 1000hz and everything just 'looks' like trash, neat huh?"

Purest example I've seen in a while of someone entirely missing the point of a piece of content in order to administer further beatings to their own favorite dead horse.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 6, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lol at being an OS WARRIOR in 2018, the year of Linux on Desktop

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my steam name has been sniper B.O.S.C.O. for months now from when me and some friends were cooping some EYE and SNIPER B.O.S.C.O. popped up randomly on the screen like those prompts you get that say 'YOU JUST KILLED A NECROPHILE!' or any of the other random poo poo in that game.

edit: also hl2 introduced maybe the greatest sin in modern gaming, the unskippable in-game walking cutscene. god i hate that poo poo. HL1 was way better.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I like the unskippable walking cutscene as long as its very sporadically used and the area your stuck in at least has some amusing details on repeat playthroughs.

Half life 2 has one of these right. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

juggalo baby coffin posted:

edit: also hl2 introduced maybe the greatest sin in modern gaming, the unskippable in-game walking cutscene. god i hate that poo poo. HL1 was way better.

yup. a cutscene is still a cutscene.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

are we back to 'half life 2 is what killed fps games' o'clock again even though it was later games that actually started badly implementing poor design decisions

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, I don't think every game should be story-driven to the extent HL2 is. But if you're gonna do that, I think HL2 did it the best anyone had, up to that point. For me, the way they delivered the story made it much more memorable than HL1. Of course it can be done better now, but at the time, they were essentially setting out to kill pre-rendered cutscenes for good, and I'd say they accomplished that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

One thing that stood out to me on a recent playthrough of HL2 is how great its facial animations are. They still rank among the best of any game I've played. It's been over 13 years, you'd think we would have advanced a lot by now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Way ahed of you. Already started a new playthrough with migraines. The challenge was warrented since I gkt it fixed after a few levels.

I'm currently so sick from a migraine I'm getting hold and cold flushes and here I am watching E.Y.E download. It's fate!

I really want to give it another chance though, I like 40K, I like cyberpunk, I like super stupid plots. Afaik E.Y.E is all of those

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shoehead posted:

I'm currently so sick from a migraine I'm getting hold and cold flushes and here I am watching E.Y.E download. It's fate!
I'm pretty sure being rendered incoherent by a crippling illness will only cause things to make more sense.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Samuel Clemens posted:

One thing that stood out to me on a recent playthrough of HL2 is how great its facial animations are. They still rank among the best of any game I've played. It's been over 13 years, you'd think we would have advanced a lot by now.

Source engine had some amazing tech, like the automatic lip-syncing, which together with the facial animation means source engine games still have some of the best faces in games. Vampire Bloodlines wouldn't have been the classic without those. And Zenoclash 2 going from Source to Unreal meant a massive step down in character detail and animation.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Yeah, good game art is never just about the tech but about the artists and coders skill and understanding what works or not. This is never more apparent than when you look at classic games and how they did it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Are you aware of the fact that HL1 opened with a freaking enormous unskippable walking cutscene.

A lot of terrible design fads can be traced back to great games. Because great games had the depth and skill to implement design elements tastefully, which made them popular and successful and critically adored, which led to games trying to copy them and implementing similar elements in a clumsy and lovely way.

Resident Evil 4 helped popularize cover shooting, QTEs, and action-horror. It was a freaking awesome game and still is, but a lot of games copied it and the awesome things from it became distorted and exaggerated by lesser copycats and ended up basically killing shooters and horror games for most of a console gen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Augus posted:

Are you aware of the fact that HL1 opened with a freaking enormous unskippable walking cutscene.

if you can't see the difference lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The tram ride at the beginning of HL1, while long, really helped set the stage and atmosphere of 'You are just heading on in to work'.

I'm trying to think of anything else that I really had to wait for in the game, after the resonance cascade incident. Uhh.... the laser in the hallway? I feel like the rest of HL1 is at the player's pace.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The tram ride at the beginning of HL1, while long, really helped set the stage and atmosphere of 'You are just heading on in to work'.

I'm trying to think of anything else that I really had to wait for in the game, after the resonance cascade incident. Uhh.... the laser in the hallway? I feel like the rest of HL1 is at the player's pace.

Right before you head into Xen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you can't see the difference lol

you should try reading the rest of my post

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I guess there's the hangar at the beginning of Forget About Freeman? Although you're too busy trying to dodge falling chunks of ceiling to get bored.

e: There's also the legit cutscene (still through Freeman's eyes but all player control is disabled) when you get knocked out by assassins and thrown in the sewer.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

haveblue posted:

I guess there's the hangar at the beginning of Forget About Freeman? Although you're too busy trying to dodge falling chunks of ceiling to get bored.

e: There's also the legit cutscene (still through Freeman's eyes but all player control is disabled) when you get knocked out by assassins and thrown in the sewer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5AHYZ5NJM&t=283s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

you can skip that by shooting a bee or throwing a snark into the chamber first :v:

Watching speedruns of the HL games is fun because it's cool to see how much of the plot gets ignored because you can force NPCs to open doors for you or because of how things are coded you can skip speeches because you just have to have a physical object use the pain trigger.

Then you get to things like Blue Shift and HL2 where you have to sit around with your thumb up your rear end for 10 minutes because an NPC has to monologue at you :suicide:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Blood GDX got a recent update with a lot of nice little touches. Game feels fairer now.

Also, great thing you can have cutscenes with a little workaround on both GOG and Steam versions, CD soundtrack works and you can still link your MIDI device from the opening menu. Stacked my 55MkII and 88Pro on top of eachother.

Kind of wish EDuke32 had a similar MIDI options and you didn't have to compile the srouce yourself to use your hardware.

Edit: also Black Mesa is pretty cool. I'm really liking it so far and I'm passed the Dam level.

Shoehead posted:

I really want to give it another chance though, I like 40K, I like cyberpunk, I like super stupid plots. Afaik E.Y.E is all of those

Welcome to E.Y.E., where migranes are common and your legs are OK!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Augus posted:

Resident Evil 4 helped popularize cover shooting,

loving how

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

loving how

Yeah exactly, there's cover shooting in I believe one part of the game, when you first encounter the bear traps (right after the canyon bridge expanse, in that area where you first meet the merchant).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

loving how

It's tenuous, but CliffyB named RE4 as one of the big influences on Gears of Wars, the game which really popularized cover shooting.

There are scattered opportunities to take cover throughout the game (I think there are sandbag walls in the chopper attack sequence near the end) but it's not really a major mechanic, more of an repeated area-specific gimmick.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

haveblue posted:

It's tenuous, but CliffyB named RE4 as one of the big influences on Gears of Wars, the game which really popularized cover shooting.

There are scattered opportunities to take cover throughout the game (I think there are sandbag walls in the chopper attack sequence near the end) but it's not really a major mechanic, more of an repeated area-specific gimmick.

I would guess that influence is more from the over-the-shoulder camera style that Gears copped

the cover system was more of a Kill Switch thing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
tbh either way I don't think cover shooting is a good example of a mechanic that started out great and then got lovely as it was iterated on. You're gonna look at a game like Uncharted (especially the later ones) and tell me it's a poor implementation of the system popularized by games like Gears of War, the one where you couldn't even move from cover to cover without unsticking from it iirc?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly I feel like Rockstar pretty much perfected the cover system

GTA4/5, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne 3 all use basically the same cover system and it rules in all cases

(I don't think you can move from cover to cover without unsticking in GTA5, but unsticking and moving to a different piece of cover is really quick and easy and smooth due to Euphoria. I think Max Payne 3 straight up lets you move from cover to cover without unsticking, though.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RDR's cover system WAS great (I actually don't remember GTA5's, but I'm sure it's there and very similar, if not improved upon), and I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2's. Launching Singularities OR bullets out from cover was great. I didn't like how it felt as if that was the only way to fight, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Call of Juarez 2 cover system was great, speaking of good cover systems. It'd just automatically have you peer over/around cover while aiming.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'd say The Division is the best implementation of cover. The UI is perfectly clear, you only go into cover when you want to (and it works if you do) never accidentally and you can move quickly and intentionally around corner cover and from cover to cover without leaving it. The worst thing a cover system can do is randomly not put you into cover when you want to be, or pop you out when you don't want to. The Division perfectly avoids both.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Its pretty fun once you turn off the endlessly respawning enemies i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

Its pretty fun once you turn off the endlessly respawning enemies i think

EYE lets you play around with a number of difficulty settings so you should definitely do that until you like what you’ve got. Invasion (enemies infinitely respawn on a timer whenever you aren’t actively looking at their spawn point) is fun but probably too much for a first time solo player.

e: I guess with the endlessly respawning enemies the thing to keep in mind is that this is a co-op based game most directly based on HL mods like Sven Co-op or even more like Syndicate Black Ops, which is EYE’s direct ancestor. The point is for it to be a gigantic rear end brawl where poo poo is constantly going down everywhere at all times, not like an old school FPS type experience where you kill every enemy on the map and then move on.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2018