Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

exmachina posted:

That means occasionally.

Signed,
A Pedant

A-ha, but it's only during three months of the year!

(Good call, though. I must've mistaken it for another expression)

Ghostlight posted:

I don't care for celebrating our association with a nation so comfortable with its past and current human rights abuses.

... all of them? Literally every nation in existence?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Man, there's only so much time a man can dedicate to self-flagellation.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Waitangi day should be renamed NZ Day and celebrations moved to Wellington.
Fireworks in every major city centre on the preceding evening.
Work towards settling any treaty claims fully and fairly.
Support local communities which may or may not be predominately Maori and ensure the youth (regardless of race) gets a hand up where required.

ANZAC day renamed to Services day.
All services (fire, police, armed forces) etc celebrated for their service and commitment to doing good and helping others (past and present)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Don't you have some Tongans to whine about?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
that's so 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also your ideas are stupid, and quite frankly, what you've suggested for ANZAC day is a loving insult to those that were killed at Gallipoli.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The ones who died fighting to steal a bit of land for the Russians?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ANZAC Day shouldn't be a day to celebrate, but to acknowledge the people that died in combat, and in the case of Gallipoli, how loving senseless and avoidable it all was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why can't you guys let me have the worst opinion in the thread for like a single day.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Competition is just so fierce.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think Waitangi Day is a farce, and, quite frankly, it's not like Maori were even the original inhabitants of New Zealand anyway. When will we acknowledge the Ancient Celts that were here before them, rather than covering up evidence of their existence and attributing their works to Maori, hmm?

Your move, Ghostlight.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The celts were hardly the first. Now the Egyptians, they were definitely the original inhabitants.

Think I'm wrong? Then why is the Maori word for the sun Ra? Checkmate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is greatly disrespectful to the Atlanteans.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Your move, Ghostlight.
Mike Hosking should get more airtime.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

:wtc:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Don Brash is correct.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I know you're joking, but he probably will once the economy contracts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cptn_dr posted:

The celts were hardly the first. Now the Egyptians, they were definitely the original inhabitants.

Think I'm wrong? Then why is the Maori word for the sun Ra? Checkmate.

holy poo poo

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Don Brash is correct.

Max Key should be the next PM, with Leighton Smith as deputy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Max Key should be the next PM, with Leighton Smith as deputy.

And get The Opportunities Party into parliament as part of a coalition, with a front bench spot for Sean Plunket and Gareth Morgan.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I feel like renaming ANZAC Day to Services Day would miss the whole point.

Lest We Forget, War is Kinda lovely.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

This is greatly disrespectful to the Atlanteans.
R'lyeh was there before them, my man. Explicitly in Call of Cthulhu, the closest port to The Dead City is Dunedin.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I feel like there's some way we can still allow the solemn reflection stuff while also dialing down the outright glorification that ANZAC day has become so focused on since National decided to target it as a way to promote national identity.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

i've never really experienced ANZAC day as jingoistic. i think the first time i learnt about it properly was when we were studying poetry of the first world war when i was maybe 10 or 11. the poems were very grim and not at all nationalistic (or pro-war). that might have coloured how i view the day, but the first service i went to (years later) at the local RSA had the same theme - war is terrible. i think they actually read some of the same poetry there too!

to me, ANZAC days feels like a trip to the auckland war memorial museum, where there are rooms where the walls are inscribed with lists & lists of the names of people who were killed in various wars. it is overwhelming and chilling. same again with the cenotaphs you see visiting pretty much any small town in nz, especially when you read multiple names with the same surname and consider how many men from one family died. it must have devastated a generation.

one thing i am not comfortable with is the language around sacrifice - especially for the first world war. how many of the people who fought knew what they were getting into, really? and i don't want to honor the politicians who decided to "sacrifice" them. i guess this is relevant today too, but less so for kiwis. eighteen is very, very young. first years at uni are pretty much babies!

this will be my fourth year going to the dawn service here in nyc, which is a bit blander (and we sing the star spangled banner alongside the aussie & nz anthems). it is held in the vietnam veterans' plaza in the financial district, and the main memorial is inscribed with excerpts from letters home. the largest one is:

Lt. Richard W. Strandberg posted:

One thing worries me… will people believe me? Will they want to hear about it, or will they want to forget the whole thing ever happened?
i think ANZAC day is more similar to memorial day than something like july 4th, although i guess it depends on how you spend it. we've been to arlington cemetery for a couple of years and it is a heartbreaking place. i'm certainly not thinking "gently caress yeah, america" while i'm visiting graves. i'm thinking about what it means to serve, and whether this country was good enough for the people who signed up to do so.

anyway, here is some poetry, this is what i think about at anzac day:

Wilfred Owen posted:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

those last lines being "the old lie: it is sweet and honourable to die for one's country".

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Always good to see a corporate message drone fall on the right side of history
https://twitter.com/MitchKinney/status/960838115526025216?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E2

:byewhore:

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
So Waitangi seemed to come and go without any real controversy... oh hi Bob

Sir Bob Jones being himself

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress Spark though, for entirely different reasons.

Last year, my flat's internet was broken, and we worked out it was a bung modem from Spark. We asked for a replacement, and they decided that they were worth more than their combined firstborns' harvested organs, and got weirdly stingy. Instead of following up on requests for a new modem, they kept asking us if "this light is working and that light is working," and every time we pointed out that we'd already answered those questions and had requested a new modem, they claimed that no such request was made (my flatmate had correspondence with them stating otherwise.) When called out on this, they then would ask "standard questions" about which lights were on and off, and if we'd reset the modem, etc. After a couple of weeks, I called them from work and yelled at them for 20 minutes, and told them to send a new modem overnight. When they claimed they couldn't, I refused to budge on the matter until they gave in and sent it through overnight.

In my rage, I heaped abuse on their twitter account as well, and have since been blocked. I think the last correspondence I had with them was when they asked me for the 10000th time which lights on the modem were on, and if we'd reset it, and I responded with "what the gently caress do you think, you worthless oval office?"

Whenever there has been any issue with the internet at the flat, or at my mum's place (both places are with Spark), I have been quick to remind them of how loving pathetic their standard of service has been in the past, to shame them into doing better work. It has been surprisingly successful.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If it makes you feel better, in trying to get the same thing out of Vodafone they put me on hold several times, once for forty minutes, then terminated the call and also ignored messages submitted through the insanely hidden email contact page on their website. My modem is so ancient it can't even load the web interface anymore, and it struggles to go more than 48 hours without making GBS threads the bed, but since it will still do the job I've been procrastinating on doing anything as drastic as buying one myself or just changing to Spark because that would be less effort than trying to contact Vodafone again.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

King Louie posted:

i've never really experienced ANZAC day as jingoistic. i think the first time i learnt about it properly was when we were studying poetry of the first world war when i was maybe 10 or 11. the poems were very grim and not at all nationalistic (or pro-war). that might have coloured how i view the day, but the first service i went to (years later) at the local RSA had the same theme - war is terrible. i think they actually read some of the same poetry there too!

to me, ANZAC days feels like a trip to the auckland war memorial museum, where there are rooms where the walls are inscribed with lists & lists of the names of people who were killed in various wars. it is overwhelming and chilling. same again with the cenotaphs you see visiting pretty much any small town in nz, especially when you read multiple names with the same surname and consider how many men from one family died. it must have devastated a generation.

one thing i am not comfortable with is the language around sacrifice - especially for the first world war. how many of the people who fought knew what they were getting into, really? and i don't want to honor the politicians who decided to "sacrifice" them. i guess this is relevant today too, but less so for kiwis. eighteen is very, very young. first years at uni are pretty much babies!

Completely agree. I think there are a very small minority of people who get a bit jingoistic, but by and large everyone else sees it as the day of commemoration and commiseration, not one of celebration.

On the sacrifice thing, I find some people get very caught up in "our boys sent off to the other side of the world to die in someone else's war" - which isn't wrong, but too easily people look at it from today's point of view, forgetting that "our boys" were of a generation with a much stronger connection to "the motherland", and to them it wasn't always "someone else's war", they were going off to fight alongside their literal brothers and cousins and uncles. Yes, to die for some Kings and Queens and politicians and Generals, but it is what it is.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress Spark though, for entirely different reasons.

Last year, my flat's internet was broken, and we worked out it was a bung modem from Spark. We asked for a replacement, and they decided that they were worth more than their combined firstborns' harvested organs, and got weirdly stingy. Instead of following up on requests for a new modem, they kept asking us if "this light is working and that light is working," and every time we pointed out that we'd already answered those questions and had requested a new modem, they claimed that no such request was made (my flatmate had correspondence with them stating otherwise.) When called out on this, they then would ask "standard questions" about which lights were on and off, and if we'd reset the modem, etc. After a couple of weeks, I called them from work and yelled at them for 20 minutes, and told them to send a new modem overnight. When they claimed they couldn't, I refused to budge on the matter until they gave in and sent it through overnight.

In my rage, I heaped abuse on their twitter account as well, and have since been blocked. I think the last correspondence I had with them was when they asked me for the 10000th time which lights on the modem were on, and if we'd reset it, and I responded with "what the gently caress do you think, you worthless oval office?"

Whenever there has been any issue with the internet at the flat, or at my mum's place (both places are with Spark), I have been quick to remind them of how loving pathetic their standard of service has been in the past, to shame them into doing better work. It has been surprisingly successful.

This is really loving weird because one of my flatmates rings Spark every few months to tell them we're shifting to Vodafone because their service is rubbish, and every time they drop the bill price for the next 6 months and have thrown in a couple of new modems too.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Traditionally, ISP chat belongs in the other NZ thread.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In terms of ISPs Spark are bad and prior to splitting from Chorus were holding back NZ’s infrastructure to maximise their profits. For that reason I will never use them myself. Although recently I have found their corporate support has really picked up. Vodafone are universally bad at everything. The others are a real mixed bag.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Varkk posted:

In terms of ISPs Spark are bad and prior to splitting from Chorus were holding back NZ’s infrastructure to maximise their profits. For that reason I will never use them myself. Although recently I have found their corporate support has really picked up. Vodafone are universally bad at everything. The others are a real mixed bag.

Spark have been solid for me.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Vodafone keep giving me free stuff and hundred dollar credits for no apparent reason so I've got no problems with them.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I've never really had an issue with Telstra/Vodafone for internet, apart from hurry the gently caress up with upv6 and don't charge me for a static IP on fibrex.

Vodafone for cellphones on the other hand.... I was not on plan, prepay peeps are charged $2 for a support request. They forgot my password I used to recharge my phone credit, and despite it being their fault they still tried to charge me the two bucks for the privilege of me giving them money... that was quite an argument...

On the plus side, after I snail mailed a complaint, they rang me and apologized and gave me $20 credit so that's good I guess...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Charter schools are going to be shut down by the end of the year. Good loving riddance, but I'd say it's pretty loving galling to see craven pieces of poo poo like Judith Collins whinging about what a bunch of meanie-paninis the PPTA and NZEI were over them. loving gently caress off, you corrupt loving piece of loving poo poo.

Don't loving talk to me about loving "choice in education providers" when your loving Undersecretary of Education, whatever the gently caress that's even supposed to be went out of his way to hobble One Tree Hill College as a viable choice for parents in nearby suburbs just on the periphery of their current zone, and passed legislation that made these loving schools OIA-exempt, with no requirement for trained or qualified staff, with Level 2 results that were amongst the worst in the country - a fact that had to be pried out of Hekia "I can't even pour milk into a loving bowl of cornflakes without it bursting into flame because I'm so loving worthless and stupid" Parata.

Edit: I may or may not have also just gone off at Judith Collins on social media about this.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 10, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vagabundo posted:

Charter schools are going to be shut down by the end of the year. Good loving riddance, but I'd say it's pretty loving galling to see craven pieces of poo poo like Judith Collins whinging about what a bunch of meanie-paninis the PPTA and NZEI were over them. loving gently caress off, you corrupt loving piece of loving poo poo.

Don't loving talk to me about loving "choice in education providers" when your loving Undersecretary of Education, whatever the gently caress that's even supposed to be went out of his way to hobble One Tree Hill College as a viable choice for parents in nearby suburbs just on the periphery of their current zone, and passed legislation that made these loving schools OIA-exempt, with no requirement for trained or qualified staff, with Level 2 results that were amongst the worst in the country - a fact that had to be pried out of Hekia "I can't even pour milk into a loving bowl of cornflakes without it bursting into flame because I'm so loving worthless and stupid" Parata.

Edit: I may or may not have also just gone off at Judith Collins on social media about this.

Deanna troi (fingers to head): im sensing anger

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
what about that small percentage of children for whom standard schooling isn't working?

chuck em in the river I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

BloodRed posted:

what about that small percentage of children for whom standard schooling isn't working?

chuck em in the river I guess

For-profit charter schools cost more public money and are subject to fewer requirements and oversight. They are the not answer to this problem.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 10, 2018

• Locked thread