Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Further things that were necessary for migrating from Godot 2 to 3:

* My Camera2D object had to be reconfigured to stop using the 'drag' settings again, presumably because those settings got renamed (this was a bastard to figure out what was wrong because the default drag settings are close to the camera just going where you tell it, but not quite).

* At first I could no longer figure out a cool way to just start audio samples playing from the animation object like I used to, I had to move their calls into the script. Then I finally found the "import" tab next to the scene tab at the top right (for me), which I think could kind of replace the AudioLibrary thing I was using before. I haven't tried to moved the "select and play an audio sample" back into the animation though, because my first attempts at that caused some unexpected looping and stuff, and doing it in the script works as intended so I don't want to touch it again.

* Import also was necessary to fix the font which was previously a Font from a resource, I now had to create a DynamicFont from the import tab, load my ttf file as the dependent resource for that, and save the DynamicFont as a .tres file, and then the text-rendering object now has an export (DynamicFont) rather than an export (Font), into which I select that new .tres file. (The DynamicFont is where you set the font render size and antialiasing and stuff now, vs. doing it at import time previously.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Isn't there a _Time property I can use for that? Maybe I'll try that on some random mesh tonight just to see if I can make it work at all before even looking into trying to cram it into TextMesh Pro's thing.

Check this poo poo out:
code:
fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
{
	if (_Time.y % 0.1 > 0.05)
	{
		return fixed4(1.0, 0.1, 0.1, 0.5);
	}
	else
	{
		return fixed4(0.1, 0.1, 1.0, 0.5);
	}
}
I could post the whole thing but I don't see the point. I just used a blando vertex shader and then set up that disco inferno in the fragment shader. On any random cube this sets me up with some real fast red/blue flashing. I just wanted to do that to see if this whole _Time thing really could allow me to do time-based stuff in a shader.

Anyways, for this that may be playing along, there isn't anything in the "Text Mesh Pro UGUI" MonoBehaviour to tell it I'd like to sneak that script in. As far as I know, that addon's whole thing is that a lot of its coolness comes from the shaders it has implemented. I looked at the source tree for the plugin, found the shaders, and proceeded to melt off my face trying to figure out what was cooking in there.

Somebody's gotta tell me the bad news here, but I would have figured in YOOL 2018 you could stack up shaders and accumulate affects. I figured I'd like TextMesh Pro's SDF shader do its thing and then I'd come in afterwards and make it glitter. I still feel like I'm missing something there in the plumbing.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Check this poo poo out:
code:
fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
{
	if (_Time.y % 0.1 > 0.05)
	{
		return fixed4(1.0, 0.1, 0.1, 0.5);
	}
	else
	{
		return fixed4(0.1, 0.1, 1.0, 0.5);
	}
}
I could post the whole thing but I don't see the point. I just used a blando vertex shader and then set up that disco inferno in the fragment shader. On any random cube this sets me up with some real fast red/blue flashing. I just wanted to do that to see if this whole _Time thing really could allow me to do time-based stuff in a shader.

Anyways, for this that may be playing along, there isn't anything in the "Text Mesh Pro UGUI" MonoBehaviour to tell it I'd like to sneak that script in. As far as I know, that addon's whole thing is that a lot of its coolness comes from the shaders it has implemented. I looked at the source tree for the plugin, found the shaders, and proceeded to melt off my face trying to figure out what was cooking in there.

Somebody's gotta tell me the bad news here, but I would have figured in YOOL 2018 you could stack up shaders and accumulate affects. I figured I'd like TextMesh Pro's SDF shader do its thing and then I'd come in afterwards and make it glitter. I still feel like I'm missing something there in the plumbing.

The thing you actually want to do is make a render texture and slap that on the face texture property. Then have whatever shader write to that render texture; you do that by setting the rt setting on a camera.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm gonna kinda burst your bubble here, but the entire point of shaders is that they're slow but highly scalable. Meaning, doing math isn't as fast as on a processor but you can do that slow thing a whole bunch of times at once for "free". This would be very useful if each pixel had a different value, but when you're running the same equation a thousand times for the same answer, it's just a weird application for a shader. I know this is more of an "I want to do it this way because it's fun" thing, but you're kind of backing yourself in a corner - if you want to adjust the speed or the duration of the flashing you'll have to edit the shader (or pass a parameter in). Also remember that the time won't be offset from the start of the damage, it will be global so all flashing on screen will be in sync. I don't know if that's a positive or not though.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
A friend just steam-released a game he spent the spare time of 5 years making on his own. I was playtesting it at various points in the development. It's pretty good, very much an unusual genre, a kind of first-person roguelike [in that it's permadeath and expecteddeath] space survival with short, time-crunched adventures. For me it was most reminiscent of "Academy", a game from like 30 years ago, when games were games get off my lawn etc. Best thing, as a playtester, is that like a proper good roguelike it's different every time, so playing the same game 20 times wasn't a chore at all.

Anyway, Scavenger SV4, an example of the kind of game one determined person (who wouldn't describe himself as a programmer) can make in 5 years while also having a day job and other interests.

Edit: moments after I wrote he wouldn't describe himself as a programmer, and with no awareness of this post, he described himself as "not even a real programmer", in the context of the Steam backend platform stuff being really good such that he could get it working without even touching the API.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 8, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KillHour posted:

So I'm gonna kinda burst your bubble here, but the entire point of shaders is that they're slow but highly scalable. Meaning, doing math isn't as fast as on a processor but you can do that slow thing a whole bunch of times at once for "free". This would be very useful if each pixel had a different value, but when you're running the same equation a thousand times for the same answer, it's just a weird application for a shader. I know this is more of an "I want to do it this way because it's fun" thing, but you're kind of backing yourself in a corner - if you want to adjust the speed or the duration of the flashing you'll have to edit the shader (or pass a parameter in). Also remember that the time won't be offset from the start of the damage, it will be global so all flashing on screen will be in sync. I don't know if that's a positive or not though.

Yeah the end of this is I throw it out but I'm giving it a go. Especially the render texture thing. That's kind of dumb for flashing some text between two static colors, but it's good to know some crazy tricks sometimes.

Now assuming that I could have assigned a shader straight-on, is it really that much of a punch in the gut? I had thought this text would be run through something like a default shader anyways. When I change the material, I just replace it with a different one. Is that patently false?

I literally have the impression that the fixed-function pipeline was replaced with basically a default shader and there isn't much of a deal other than maybe some switch overhead in running a different one. This could be based on people that are literally assigning custom shaders to every surface in their game, which is definitely not what I'm doing.

Edit: I am also thankful for everybody putting up with the bullshit. I know this is an "X instead of Y" thing, but I hope you all can appreciate sometimes knowing how to cram X into something sideways is useful--even if it's just in being able to realize that's what you're doing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I literally have the impression that the fixed-function pipeline was replaced with basically a default shader and there isn't much of a deal other than maybe some switch overhead in running a different one. This could be based on people that are literally assigning custom shaders to every surface in their game, which is definitely not what I'm doing.

Unlike C++ code that runs on fancy predictive pipelined CPUs, GPUs scale very linearly with the length of the program (ignoring differences in memory fetch / ALU costs for a bit). If you have a shader that's 2x as long, codewise, as a different one, it's going to run twice as slow. If there's an if statement in your shader, assume that the cost is both sides at once. If a vertex shader runs this code on 10,000 vertices, it can slow the whole frame down, as opposed to it running once and you stuffing it in a uniform somewhere. Sure, alone it's not much, but it can quickly add up.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah the end of this is I throw it out but I'm giving it a go. Especially the render texture thing. That's kind of dumb for flashing some text between two static colors, but it's good to know some crazy tricks sometimes.

Now assuming that I could have assigned a shader straight-on, is it really that much of a punch in the gut? I had thought this text would be run through something like a default shader anyways. When I change the material, I just replace it with a different one. Is that patently false?

Edit: I am also thankful for everybody putting up with the bullshit. I know this is an "X instead of Y" thing, but I hope you all can appreciate sometimes knowing how to cram X into something sideways is useful--even if it's just in being able to realize that's what you're doing.

Looking through changelogs again, maybe you want CustomRenderTexture? Added in 2017.1; “new type of render texture easily updated by a shader”

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Is there a nice guide to rendering to a cubemap? https://learnopengl.com/ doesn't really go into it, and that site has been my crutch.

This is the kind of search where all of the results are 15 years old and so I'm skeptical that I'm finding good information.

e: I finally got it.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 13, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People still use those?

I feel like there were tools to do it back in the day.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
What do you want exactly? Cubemap rendering is still a very basic tool for games. GTA V actually does one in real time around the character.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What Unity type should I use in some abstractions for drawing 2d icons? I am just using textures, but I wonder about animated icons and other effects. Should I just go for GameObjects? All I really need to do with them in the abstractions is show them, hide them, and move them around.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What Unity type should I use in some abstractions for drawing 2d icons? I am just using textures, but I wonder about animated icons and other effects. Should I just go for GameObjects? All I really need to do with them in the abstractions is show them, hide them, and move them around.

UnityEngine.UI.Image
?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

leper khan posted:

UnityEngine.UI.Image
?

I haven't played with any sprites in Unity but I'm going to assume I can have animated 2d icons with those. I mean, it's a sprite. That's probably the normal, good thing I should be using. Now let's say I'm stupid--a safe assumption--and wanted to superimpose 3d as 2d elements. First--is that just a pain in the rear end I should avoid? Second, ... what should I use as a base for that?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I haven't played with any sprites in Unity but I'm going to assume I can have animated 2d icons with those. I mean, it's a sprite. That's probably the normal, good thing I should be using. Now let's say I'm stupid--a safe assumption--and wanted to superimpose 3d as 2d elements. First--is that just a pain in the rear end I should avoid? Second, ... what should I use as a base for that?

Meshes attached to objects with 2d colliders. You’ll probably want to roll your own jumps.

Unity doesn’t have built in support for flip book animation (unless it was added recently and I didn’t notice). It’s relatively easy to implement on a behaviour though. For the 3d anims, just google “unity animations”; they’re straightforward but fiddly, assuming your mesh is rigged.

Some resources about programming platformers:
https://games.greggman.com/game/programming_m_c__kids/
http://higherorderfun.com/blog/2012/05/20/the-guide-to-implementing-2d-platformers/
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Suspicious Dish posted:

delaunay triangulation is O(n^3). and often times, a lot of triangles is a bad case for rasterization. there's other algorithms which might be faster (e.g. lorenzetto http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.11.4259&rep=rep1&type=pdf ), but r&d is ongoing.

and then you also have to do grid fitting / stem darkening for legibility at small sizes. honestly for lots of small shapes cpu rasterization extremely outperforms gpu rasterization, especially when you can do curve interpolation on the cpu.

This works really well FYI:
http://sluglibrary.com

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Huge Unity 3D news! Probuilder is going to be part of Unity like Textmesh before. That means it will be integrated into the editor shortly.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/02/15/probuilder-joins-unity-offering-integrated-in-editor-advanced-level-design/

But for now, they made the asset free in the asset store.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/111418

If you haven't used it I HIGHLY suggest it due to ease of use. You can use it to make assets in the engine. This will make game jams even more reliant on Unity if that was possible.

Here is their sizzle reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ML0EZqh6s

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

It's great news about ProBuilder but

Stick100 posted:

That means it will be integrated into the editor shortly.

*sigh* 1 step forward, million steps back. They really should be integrating less stuff into the editor and pulling poo poo out, not more and more.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm assuming that means Probuilder Pro and all of those features (assuming they don't *gut* its functionality in the transition)?

EDIT:
This also explains why the author stopped working on the Unreal Engine version of this. But also Epic is updating their geometry brush system anyway.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

This works really well FYI:
http://sluglibrary.com

kills your early-Z, which works well for simple shapes without a lot of overdraw like fonts, but makes things unrealistic for doing e.g. SVGs on mobile phones. and since GPUs operate in quads there's a lot of waste since the bezier rootfinding only needs to be done once per scanline.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

*sigh* 1 step forward, million steps back. They really should be integrating less stuff into the editor and pulling poo poo out, not more and more.

Well maybe it won't be. In the 2018 beta it's actually an add-in (not asset) so maybe they are working to strip things out.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Obsurveyor posted:

Shipped via package manager so it's basically optionally there and can be updated out of stream with Unity main product.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Strumpy posted:

Shipped via package manager so it's basically optionally there and can be updated out of stream with Unity main product.

That's good to hear. Is that the normal going forward? Is that how they ship the Shader Graph too?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wonder if the rest of the ProTools suite will be included in that. IIRC I think it's ProGrids that keeps me from going nuts.

I have a general question about moving player control between the main game and menus. I'm starting to move to a shopkeeper ring menu, and well as NPC prompts that could go down a few layers. Once I thought, "layers" I thought, "stack," so I'm assuming this is a generally sound strategy. When a player enters a game-stopping menu, game control removed from regular character control and some token is put on a stack to be able to give it back later. As the player goes deeper and deeper, respective tokens keep going on the stack. As they close the menus, they're popped back off until we're back into the main game. The details of this are probably going to kill me, of course. Is there some alternate method I should be thinking about?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I wonder if the rest of the ProTools suite will be included in that. IIRC I think it's ProGrids that keeps me from going nuts.

I imported (the asset package version) and there was no Progrids, so I'd keep importing Progrids for now. I did not test the 2018 non-asset store version. To my recollection it's probably because Unity itself has promised a Progrids like solution but hasn't delivered it yet.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Hey guys, I'm interested in switching careers from Web Development (which I've been doing for ~2.5 years professionally) to graphics/engine development. Hopefully this is a good place to ask for some insight into how best to do that.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of project I should take on that would be both an effective way to force myself to learn and results in something I can show off as a portfolio piece. The types of things that get me really excited are things like: subsurface scattering, GPU particle systems, deferred rendering of glass etc. I'm currently just trying to learn a bit of Vulkan and OpenGL (I also have to decide which one to commit myself more fully to :smithicide:).

The options to me are basically:
1) Build a small game using Unreal/Unity/Godot
2) Try building my own "engine" and render some small, barely interactive area
3) Contribute to an open source project and try to grab tasks related to rendering

The problem with #1 is that my impression of Unreal/Unity is that their rendering pipelines are largely out of your control and already come with stuff like PBR, post-processing etc. so I wouldn't actually be able to learn/demonstrate the things I'm most interested in. But maybe that's just incorrect, or is less important than having familiarity with the game engine.

On the other hand, the problem with #2 is that game engines are huge and even creating a minimal example is a ton of work, especially once you want to do anything other than load all your buffers onto the GPU and move the camera around. I'm still happy to do the work but I'm just afraid of spending a lot of time re-inventing the simplest wheel instead of actually producing more current and interesting effects. The other problem is that I'm not sure what people would be most interested in seeing -- a scene graph implementation? A solid post-processing pipeline? A working deferred renderer? With enough time I'd love to do all of these things but I feel like I need to manage my goals and time, especially starting out.

With #3 it feels like it'd be premature to become a domain expert in some OSS engine instead of having more experience with all the different parts of a GL/Vulkan pipeline.

More background:
I've already written a few WebGL projects and stuff using a high-level wrapper library that provides a scene graph implementation and abstracts away almost all the actual WebGL API calls. I have a physics background and I've taken a graphics course at the local university so I'm pretty comfortable with the math involved (although if you asked me to write the projection transformation matrix I'd still have to look it up).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Crosspost from the making games thread:

Can someone please tell me why in a Unity3D NetworkBehavior object spawned on the server:
- isServer returns FALSE
- Network.isServer returns FALSE
- GetComponent<NetworkIdentity>().isServer returns TRUE

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Brownie posted:

3) Contribute to an open source project and try to grab tasks related to rendering

More background:
I've already written a few WebGL projects and stuff using a high-level wrapper library that provides a scene graph implementation and abstracts away almost all the actual WebGL API calls. I have a physics background and I've taken a graphics course at the local university so I'm pretty comfortable with the math involved (although if you asked me to write the projection transformation matrix I'd still have to look it up).

1. Unity now has a scriptable rendering pipeline so it's not quite as out of control as it used to be. You could def. use unity to make a simple game and do some really cool things with the new rendering pipeline/shaders.

2. You've got WebGL background maybe consider making a tiny WebGL game where you build everything from the ground up. Yes engines are huge, but you don't need to implement everything, a simple 2d game with you're own lighting will teach you and put you in a position to discuss engine programming.

3. The whole Unreal source code is on Github (not completely open source) and they do accept and credit contributions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brownie posted:

Hey guys, I'm interested in switching careers from Web Development (which I've been doing for ~2.5 years professionally) to graphics/engine development. Hopefully this is a good place to ask for some insight into how best to do that.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of project I should take on that would be both an effective way to force myself to learn and results in something I can show off as a portfolio piece. The types of things that get me really excited are things like: subsurface scattering, GPU particle systems, deferred rendering of glass etc. I'm currently just trying to learn a bit of Vulkan and OpenGL (I also have to decide which one to commit myself more fully to :smithicide:).

The options to me are basically:

The problem with #1 is that my impression of Unreal/Unity is that their rendering pipelines are largely out of your control and already come with stuff like PBR, post-processing etc. so I wouldn't actually be able to learn/demonstrate the things I'm most interested in. But maybe that's just incorrect, or is less important than having familiarity with the game engine.

On the other hand, the problem with #2 is that game engines are huge and even creating a minimal example is a ton of work, especially once you want to do anything other than load all your buffers onto the GPU and move the camera around. I'm still happy to do the work but I'm just afraid of spending a lot of time re-inventing the simplest wheel instead of actually producing more current and interesting effects. The other problem is that I'm not sure what people would be most interested in seeing -- a scene graph implementation? A solid post-processing pipeline? A working deferred renderer? With enough time I'd love to do all of these things but I feel like I need to manage my goals and time, especially starting out.

With #3 it feels like it'd be premature to become a domain expert in some OSS engine instead of having more experience with all the different parts of a GL/Vulkan pipeline.

More background:

So I would say a couple of things:

1. OpenGL vs Vulkan: Vulkan has an extremely steep learning curve, and while more and more hardware supports it, it still has significant minimal requirements. Especially if you already have some WebGL experience, I would just stick to OpenGL. You can stretch yourself more and more towards the more advanced tools there, which are similar to the basics in Vulkan, but it's nice to be able to get something complicated running quickly without having to, say, manage your own GPU memory.
  2. Engines: While Unity, Unreal, etc, usually do a lot of the low-level work for you, it's still possible to create custom shaders and such. One advantage of familiarizing yourself with a common engine is how many doors it opens for you to collaborate with others on bigger projects, and they will be grateful to have someone who can synthesize lower-level graphics with an existing platform they're familiar with.
  3. OSS: A lot of OSS projects, even interesting and important ones, are very much in need of basic maintenance, especially when it comes to documentation. You don't have to be some kind of domain expert to help out.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

I spend a lot of time with Unreal. A lot of the technical employees for the company that makes Unreal are non-American, and they strongly encourage people who contribute pull requests to the open source repo on Github (https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine) to apply to their engineer job openings whenever they're hiring for them. Maybe get started trying to contribute to the Unreal Engine instead of trying to make your own is what I would do if I were in your shoes and wanted to do that stuff.

It seems like it would sort of combine all 3 of your options into one.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

I spend a lot of time with Unreal. A lot of the technical employees for the company that makes Unreal are non-American, and they strongly encourage people who contribute pull requests to the open source repo on Github (https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine) to apply to their engineer job openings whenever they're hiring for them. Maybe get started trying to contribute to the Unreal Engine instead of trying to make your own is what I would do if I were in your shoes and wanted to do that stuff.

It seems like it would sort of combine all 3 of your options into one.

Just to pile onto this suggestion, also the fact that you could show to some other company that you had accepted pull-requests into the UE code base is very helpful. You've not only shown C++, domain knowledge, but that you can work within an existing legacy code base that they (Engine development hiring managers) understand. Coming from Web to Engine development I would guess you're going to encounter a decent bit of push-back that you don't get what they do. So little development work is actually greenfield so showing that you can work within an existing monstrous system is very useful.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Thanks a lot for the help everyone. I think I'll look into unreal and try to make a nice looking demo and aim to eventually help out with a PR.

Really appreciate the insight.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Brownie posted:

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. I think I'll look into unreal and try to make a nice looking demo and aim to eventually help out with a PR.

Really appreciate the insight.
I was going to suggest a graphics demo, but Unreal PRs generally sounds like a smarter strategy.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I recently came across a guy who streams art tutorials, and creates free assets for people to use. He has a Patreon, but it isn't getting any love. I'd like to spread around $50 or $100/month to support things like that. Can anyone here suggest good graphics and programming streams/tutors/content creators that I can donate to? I am especially interested in supporting people who are creating free-to-use graphics assets, but I love all kinds of programming and game/utility-themed content.

Is there a graphics-specific thread where it might also be appropriate to post this?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I recently came across a guy who streams art tutorials, and creates free assets for people to use. He has a Patreon, but it isn't getting any love. I'd like to spread around $50 or $100/month to support things like that. Can anyone here suggest good graphics and programming streams/tutors/content creators that I can donate to? I am especially interested in supporting people who are creating free-to-use graphics assets, but I love all kinds of programming and game/utility-themed content.

Is there a graphics-specific thread where it might also be appropriate to post this?

I like this guy's tutorials: https://www.patreon.com/minionsart

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Apparently somebody modded Half-Life so that the AI explodes whenever it glitches. In particular, if it cannot move on to its next action, the AI would normally just kind of sit there for 1-3 seconds before trying again. They changed that to exploding.

Everything explodes.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

For 3dsMax is really like Arrimus 3d tutorials on Youtube.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Dumb Godot 3.0 question incoming:
I am trying to prototype a game in Godot so I created a bunch of cubes by creating MeshInstances and added new CubeMeshs to them. How do I change the default sky blue color of the cubes? Creating materials and changing the albedo doesn't help because the base color is sky blue I think.

I don't know poo poo about 3D shading, materials, textures, or lighting.

E: Nevermind. Changing the albedo was the right thing. The sky blue coloration was because of, surprise!, the sky.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 25, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well I just shoved out for Odin Inspector because I wanted to edit a dictionary in the inspector easily. Here goes...

Okay, I'm at a loss on a clean, concise way to expose a ScriptableObject container a shop inventory. My ShopInventory ScriptableObject has a list of ShopItemRecords. Each of these contains an instance of my Item type, how many are available, and the cost to buy one of them. My Shopkeeper MonoBehaviour keeps a handle on one ShopInventory. I'm trying to figure out how I can create one of these in the inspector and fiddle with each of the records without having to expose a bunch of private fields in a custom Shopkeeper inspector. Heck, it would be nice if I could just fill in the empty ShopInventory field with an empty instance when I initially add the MonoBehaviour; I think there's some kung-fu for that.

I get the impression Odin Inspector could help with the presentation of these objects if I could get some basic plumbing started, but I'm at a complete loss. They show a bit about making custom windows, but not a custom inspector. I'm wondering if I have to make a window pop up for an inventory whenever I want to edit it.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My problem has come down to Odin Inspector not exposing ScriptableObject handles. If my MonoBehaviour has a reference to a ScriptableObject, it won't show it. If don't make the object a ScriptableObject, then I can jump right now. Are there any Odin Inspector power users that might know what I need to do?