Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I wasn't 100% sure about my choice of plots in Mist but I realized earlier that because it sits way up in the hills that everyone in the district has to look at my shithome. Everyone down on the beach has to see my kissing afro maui statues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm hoping I can make enough on the market for a small by the time they open houses for those without one. I don't remember the plot, but it's halfway up the lavender beds facing South with the huge rear end tree perfectly in the background.

Some day.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Lemme tell you, I've been farming the Nidhogg bird the past few weeks, and i've joined about 22-25 different 70s unsynced farm parties to get it. Many of these had an ilvl requirement of 310+, and like half of them were gated by "completed this before".
44 of the 49 horde totems i own now come entirely from two of those 20+ groups. 9 out of ten :airquote:farm groups:airquote: i joined wipe at least once first, sometimes twice, and 7 out of ten never even managed to kill him. On outdated and severely outgeared level 60 content. I solo-tanked most of these groups, and we often even just had one healer, but even unsynced only the aforementioned two groups ever managed to get him down to >15% before the last phase.

Or let me tell you about another outdated content farm, when i was going for Thordan's bird. I had a decent farm group going, and we were killing it regularly, but the 70 WHM with a mentor crown was getting hit by every single gaze. All of them. He always died once per run, to the gaze in the last phase by running into the area border, but he also always got hit by the one at the start.
After the fifth run of bagging every gaze, i told him "Yo, please, don't look at the giant red eye."
After the sixth: "Seriously dude, you don't have to die every time."
After others in the group chimed in after the seventh run, he commented in chat that he doesn't know how to avoid getting feared. We had to teach him how to avoid the big glowing red eye cast by turning away.
HE HAD A MENTOR CROWN

People are so bad. Soo bad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, if you have a really good Nidhogg party, you can destroy the blue anchor on the first stack and drop Nidhogg to 1% before the final phase.

If you don't, :shepicide:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Re: Merylb chat:

Tell me she couldn't be replaced wholesale by Captain Janeway with a straight face.

Like I'm genuinely shocked she's viewed positively as a leader.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hard to replace an admiral with just a captain. :v:

A reminder that gpose means never having to take dark pictures.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

someday i want to exp the cutting-edge content like Ex-primals but that day is far away. also, I want a okami.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What I think happens with Byakko is that it's so easy it's pretty trivial to carry people through it and that means people start getting really lazy because they figure the other people will carry them through it. And once you get 3-4 lazy people then things start getting bad. Every bad Byakko run I've seen involves someone just not caring about mechanics because they figure they'll lazy through it.

To be honest that's the whole fight. I had one yesterday where we wiped because people wanted to lazy through every mechanic. Like they refused to set up stacks because "Well, Tanks can just Hallowed Ground/Living dead through the slam" and then naturally that went to poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sighence posted:

Tell me she couldn't be replaced wholesale by Captain Janeway with a straight face.

I don't even like Star Trek but I know Janeway's cool so replacing a real cool person with a cool person seems pretty good.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 7, 2018

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

ImpAtom posted:

What I think happens with Byakko is that it's so easy it's pretty trivial to carry people through it and that means people start getting really lazy because they figure the other people will carry them through it. And once you get 3-4 lazy people then things start getting bad. Every bad Byakko run I've seen involves someone just not caring about mechanics because they figure they'll lazy through it.

To be honest that's the whole fight. I had one yesterday where we wiped because people wanted to lazy through every mechanic. Like they refused to set up stacks because "Well, Tanks can just Hallowed Ground/Living dead through the slam" and then naturally that went to poo poo.

O7 is also a nightmare because of this. Standing in the circles isn't hard people c'mon!

Kinda along those lines, this is the first time I've been doing relevant content as it comes out with the exception of Dun Scaith, and is it just me or are people with mentor crowns always the worst players in a group? It might just be I notice someone who just ignores mechanics more if they have the crown but man, it feels consistent.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Sighence posted:

They should definately get Kate Mulgrew to do the voice for Merlwyb.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

EGSunBro posted:

O7 is also a nightmare because of this. Standing in the circles isn't hard people c'mon!

Kinda along those lines, this is the first time I've been doing relevant content as it comes out with the exception of Dun Scaith, and is it just me or are people with mentor crowns always the worst players in a group? It might just be I notice someone who just ignores mechanics more if they have the crown but man, it feels consistent.

Getting the mentor crown does not require competence in any way, just persistance.

The cool people realized how many total and utter shitlers were wearing mentor crowns, so they turned that poo poo off.

Now only the shitlers are left displaying it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So far, the worst things are:

- The part of Byakko EX where my DPS dies a violent death, because TCJ comes up literally every time the orbs start and I have no courage.
- O5S PF parties where the MT gets tossed off by All in the Mind through upwards of 5 straight pulls
- All of O7. Just all of it. So many mechanics that can be botched by over eager people standing in puddles that they've never seen before (hello Dun Scaith again) or NOT standing in puddles that they've never seen before (please do the CT raids, they're fun)

I still really like The Decisive Battle and Tigerman's music.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am really impressed that a fight that easy manages to be such a pub slayer.

I spent a combined total of around 14 hours trying to complete Bismarck EX when it was current content via the PF, and another 7 or 8 on Ravana EX. I think that was the point where I stopped playing tank and became a permanent SCH main exclusively to pick up the DPS slack.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I am by no means "good" at this game but while we're venting about bad pubbies I was leveling SMN and had a Cutter's Cry where our healer - the only person in the party other than me who was not a sprout - was getting hit by every single mechanic in the dungeon, including the Chimera despite me explicitly explaining its mechanics before the fight.

Eventually I didn't have the time or MP to Resurrect him any more leaving just me and Ifrit alive and killing the boss right before it killed me with my Limit Break.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I found Susano a lot easier than Byakko personally. Or at the very least I've made less stupid mistakes during Susano runs than I have in Byakko

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
HI thread. I've recently returned to FF14 after being gone since shortly before HW came out. It's...kind of a lot to take in so far. I have many questions, but this is obviously the important one: how are the new jobs? Is DRK actually good, for DPS or tanking, or should I just stick to WAR? Also, is Red Mage as good as it sounds on paper? Because it sounds real good.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Morality_Police posted:

HI thread. I've recently returned to FF14 after being gone since shortly before HW came out. It's...kind of a lot to take in so far. I have many questions, but this is obviously the important one: how are the new jobs? Is DRK actually good, for DPS or tanking, or should I just stick to WAR? Also, is Red Mage as good as it sounds on paper? Because it sounds real good.

All the jobs are good, play the ones that sound cool to you.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Morality_Police posted:

DRK has the best job specific questline if you care about that sort of thing

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Morality_Police posted:

DRK has a lot of dps options for when you're off-tanking and good tools for dealing with magic damage.

It also has some of the best questlines in the game, so it's definitely worth checking out.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Remilia posted:

I found Susano a lot easier than Byakko personally. Or at the very least I've made less stupid mistakes during Susano runs than I have in Byakko

As cool as byakko is, mainly because I'm pretty sure that he was a villain of the week in a sentai show, Susano is still and probably forever will be my favorite fight they've ever made. There's just something about a primal who compliments you joyfully for surviving his attacks because finally, finally, someone can let him go all out and have a good time. The voice acting really nails it, too. I tend to like the english better, because it really conveys that joyful personality to me better, but I assume that the japanese voice is basically the same for japanese people and pulls different levers to deliver that tone.

Also I want the next ultimate fight to be a cagematch, WoL vs. Susano and Ravana. Maybe Byakko too just for the gently caress of it, unless one of the other saint beasts is more in line with Susano and Ravana's vibe of "hey let's see who the baddest one here really is."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm still scared to join Susano farm parties because I never really perfectly understood the thunder clouds and since botching it can completely scrap a run, I just don't. Dog drops rates are still mean anyway.

Morality_Police posted:

DRK is fun and the quests are literally the best, but it is the squishiest of the 3 tanks. I personally feel like it requires the most planning as far as cooldown usage to not fall over, but it's also the most fun I have tanking.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Is it post your catgirl imgdump time?
Any time is a good time for catgirls.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I'm still scared to join Susano farm parties because I never really perfectly understood the thunder clouds and since botching it can completely scrap a run, I just don't. Dog drops rates are still mean anyway.

DRK is fun and the quests are literally the best, but it is the squishiest of the 3 tanks. I personally feel like it requires the most planning as far as cooldown usage to not fall over, but it's also the most fun I have tanking.

Having only done Susano as a tank I so rarely get marked for the thunder cloud mechanic that I pretty much panic when it does happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Clouds really aren't too complex.

When he tags you a cloud appears somewhere on the side. That cloud shoots a laser at you. Just make sure the laser isn't aimed at the party.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Morality_Police posted:

In terms of DPS the tanks are quite even right now. DRK is more about outputting consistently high damage rather than WAR, which has big damage spikes.

As a tank DRK is the selfish tank. It has the best defensive skill in the game (The Blackest Night) but it only works half as well on other people, only affects one person, and it has no other raidwide defensive skills (apart from Reprisal which all tanks get). High end raiders will tell you that it makes DRK the weakest tank as the game currently stands, but honestly, the game is so well balanced it doesn't matter. A DRK was on the team that first cleared the hardest content the game has gotten, Ultimate Coil.

Also as previously stated DRK has the best job quests in the game. Nothing else comes close really, even if some job quests are really good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ImpAtom posted:

Clouds really aren't too complex.

When he tags you a cloud appears somewhere on the side. That cloud shoots a laser at you. Just make sure the laser isn't aimed at the party.

As long as the line drawn between you and the cloud doesn't cover up most of the safe area from the other aoe it's fine. If it's not perfectly perpendicular it's not a big deal, just don't make it parallel.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm kind of disappointed in Byakko's music. It just doesn't feel at all memorable like nearly every other primal's theme is. At least they decided to get pretty creative with him mechanically, even if Touhou Mode gets old fast when you're farming him.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

I'm kind of disappointed in Byakko's music. It just doesn't feel at all memorable like nearly every other primal's theme is. At least they decided to get pretty creative with him mechanically, even if Touhou Mode gets old fast when you're farming him.

I've had the phase three tune stuck in my head for two days now, please send help

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually think bullet hell mode is bad design. It's trivially easy, boring after the first time or two on content you're supposed to farm, and can't be sped up at all by performing better. I realize that it only got that much spectacle because it had the budget allocated to a primal but I think they should have taken the idea and put it into a dungeon boss instead once they realized how it played in practice. Or kept it as a normal mode exclusive thing like Halicarnassus' sand puzzle.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
It's me, I'm the moron who still hasn't cleared Byakko EX. That might be because my usual approach to any new content is to wipe on it about three times, decide it's too hard (or get kicked from a learning party, or someone gets mad and leaves the learning party), and go do something else.

Anyways, the chocobo raincoat is cute and totally worth blowing a few weeks of yellow scrip on.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually think bullet hell mode is bad design. It's trivially easy, boring after the first time or two on content you're supposed to farm, and can't be sped up at all by performing better. I realize that it only got that much spectacle because it had the budget allocated to a primal but I think they should have taken the idea and put it into a dungeon boss instead once they realized how it played in practice. Or kept it as a normal mode exclusive thing like Halicarnassus' sand puzzle.

The depth perception is also really awful

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Remilia posted:

Susano I find annoying because no, I would not like to have Churning and the Stack Marker at the same time while also running on a very thin line.

Also, shitters that can't carry the lightning marker to the other side.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm the guy at 338 who hasn't even seen EX yet

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Morality_Police posted:

I play red mage as my main DPS job (paladin main overall) , and really like it. I like that it's not that complicated to do well, so I can just focus on fight mechanics while keeping damage output pretty high. Really high mobility as every 2nd cast you do is automatically instant. Jumping backwards and forwards to the boss and delivering a zorro melee finisher also never gets old.

Also, you get to look absolutely fabulous with your fancy hat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As cool as byakko is, mainly because I'm pretty sure that he was a villain of the week in a sentai show, Susano is still and probably forever will be my favorite fight they've ever made. There's just something about a primal who compliments you joyfully for surviving his attacks because finally, finally, someone can let him go all out and have a good time.

I mean, the whole Byakko fight is him going "I AM THE ANGRIEST TIGER WHO EVER LIVED!" and he still takes the time to complement you for surviving a giant tiger laser to the face.

Othard has very polite Primals.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, the whole Byakko fight is him going "I AM THE ANGRIEST TIGER WHO EVER LIVED!" and he still takes the time to complement you for surviving a giant tiger laser to the face.

Othard has very polite Primals.

And Lakshmi just wants to smother you in her cleavage.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Philonius posted:

Also, you get to look absolutely fabulous with your fancy hat.

100% most important factor.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Morality_Police posted:

Red Mage is super fun, if a bit easy/simple. As far as I understand the skill ceiling is pretty low, so there isn't a big gap between playing well and playing really well, on the other end, it's pretty hard to gently caress up. (But people still find ways.) Being able to easily rez people and spot heal is pretty fantastic in a pinch, but you lack ways to regen mana. It's also stylish as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Red Mage is the best job for if you're tired or zoned out because you can still do decent while basically not doing anything at all.