Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The auto-load transports feature thing is absolute rear end but using them manually is really simple, I'm not really sure what the problem is there.

Innovativeness seems inoffensive if mostly pointless but I'm really not sure about technology sharing, the spread of institutions is already all kinds of nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Koramei posted:

The auto-load transports feature thing is absolute rear end but using them manually is really simple, I'm not really sure what the problem is there.

Innovativeness seems inoffensive if mostly pointless but I'm really not sure about technology sharing, the spread of institutions is already all kinds of nuts.

Yep, I have no problem with boats at all. But I don't ever use the auto transport feature, I do everything manually in this game because I want to be as efficient as I can be.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I, for one, cannot believe that there is no easy way to track which Edicts I have going in my states. I just found out that I had the development cost discount running in a state for over 100 years!

There's a map mode for edicts. I looked for it after doing the same drat thing as you did. It bothers me that edicts are both useful and annoyingly fiddly. At least crap like sailors can be ignored 99% of the time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
With a Great Britain DLC I'm surprised we didn't see the addition of Naval Professionalism too. This game needs more bars to fill.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

skasion posted:

Drilling is meaningful, it makes your soldiers mildly better for a bit and professionalism breakpoints give you some ok bonuses sure but it’s also a huge rear end manpower farm. Like mercs, it allows you to deal with the cost and limits on replacing troops lost during war, effectively giving you more staying power in a fight. And you can use both. It’s only -0.15 prof for each merc regiment (though it does also detract from your prof gain passively because it’s based on %forcelimit that is drilling which mercs can’t do), so at any rate stiffening your armies with a couple mercs now and again is not going to wreck you.

Professionalism and drilling are totally different things, professionalism is good, drilling isn't. If you were in a position where drilling is a viable option you could reduce unit maintenance instead and use the saved gold to hire more mercs later on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The fact they haven't even announced Crusader Kings 3 is making me very scared for how many more expansions they're going to try and wring out of EUIV.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Ck 2 is 6 this year.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Node posted:

With a Great Britain DLC I'm surprised we didn't see the addition of Naval Professionalism too. This game needs more bars to fill.
And lots of dumb events where you might, lol, struggle to decide, hahaha, if, if you want to risk losing half your sailors. HAHAHAHA!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also what the heck can I do about inflation? Is it just take economic/the advisor or pay it down? Because it's third idea time for Ethiopia and I was thinking humanism would probably be good so I can just keep conquering without having to deal with all these dang revolts but I'm only two more wars away from 3 more gold mines and a few years away from coring 2 more

I've said this plenty of times before, but the inflation reduction idea is a terrible reason to take economic ideas. You can always just reduce your inflation by 2% for 75 admin, so that -0.1% yearly translates to saving only 3.75 admin points a year.

Religious ideas are really good for Ethiopia just for Deus Vult because you can use the CB against literally the entire world (except for Armenia).

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fister Roboto posted:

I've said this plenty of times before, but the inflation reduction idea is a terrible reason to take economic ideas. You can always just reduce your inflation by 2% for 75 admin, so that -0.1% yearly translates to saving only 3.75 admin points a year.

So what you're saying is it only takes ~100 years for the idea to pay itself off and continue generating a positive impact?

I guess anyone taking economic after 1720 feels really silly

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Node posted:

there's some big naval policy buttons they haven't shown yet that are in some of the preorder page screens

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Religious ideas are really good for Ethiopia just for Deus Vult because you can use the CB against literally the entire world (except for Armenia).

I take econ like every game

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That... doesn't say "don't take econ" it just says "don't take econ solely for the inflation reduction."

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

How on earth is a new player supposed to come in and understand how the game works?

New player here: you don’t. The good news is that the game runs fine even when you don’t know what’s going on.

You come in and start playing on Normal or Easy and make a lot of mistakes but manage to struggle through a run. Or have a bunch of bad starts and reload and try again a few times until you get the very early game dance of setting up alliances etc down. Then you struggle through a run. You follow missions blindly without understanding why. You pick events outcome for RP reasons. Eventually you get bored or it is 1821.

Having done that, you start another run, maybe with the same country maybe with a new one and decide to focus on figuring out one aspect or another of the game. You watch some videos and consult the wiki and search the forums. You read some world history books to get a glimpse of what’s “normal” in the timeline.

You end that run and now you understand one aspect better than before. You start another run, concentrating on another mechanic you’d totally ignored. Someone links that DDRJake video where he fights the Ottomans for 40 years and you realize you’ve been doing war all wrong. Maybe that run starts to feel easy and you get bored in the 1600s. You start again on Hard this time.

What makes this game hobby-grade is that there’s so much to learn. It means there is always something new to try. There is always some aspect to master. And the fact that you can proceed even without knowing fully what’s going on by just unpausing if you are confused, means that there will always be something happening.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

doingitwrong posted:

New player here: you don’t. The good news is that the game runs fine even when you don’t know what’s going on.

You come in and start playing on Normal or Easy and make a lot of mistakes but manage to struggle through a run. Or have a bunch of bad starts and reload and try again a few times until you get the very early game dance of setting up alliances etc down. Then you struggle through a run. You follow missions blindly without understanding why. You pick events outcome for RP reasons. Eventually you get bored or it is 1821.

Having done that, you start another run, maybe with the same country maybe with a new one and decide to focus on figuring out one aspect or another of the game. You watch some videos and consult the wiki and search the forums. You read some world history books to get a glimpse of what’s “normal” in the timeline.

You end that run and now you understand one aspect better than before. You start another run, concentrating on another mechanic you’d totally ignored. Someone links that DDRJake video where he fights the Ottomans for 40 years and you realize you’ve been doing war all wrong. Maybe that run starts to feel easy and you get bored in the 1600s. You start again on Hard this time.

What makes this game hobby-grade is that there’s so much to learn. It means there is always something new to try. There is always some aspect to master. And the fact that you can proceed even without knowing fully what’s going on by just unpausing if you are confused, means that there will always be something happening.

Bad user name / post combo because this is definitely doing it right :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Doesnt the amount of admin it saves you depend on your inflation rate?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Doesnt the amount of admin it saves you depend on your inflation rate?

It doesn't matter how much inflation you're getting, the idea only gets you -0.1 inflation/year.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

Ck 2 is 6 this year.

Victoria 2 is 8 this year. it's crazy how much better CK2 was at release than V2. Remember when all Paradox games were essentially unplayable until the first few patches and hotfixes?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

I have pretty much been going down this same path, except a bit more slowly. Which makes me question whether I would have given this game a shot in a pre-internet age. When I first got it I was always lookin at Euiv videos on my breaks at work.

I’ve played 3 games so far since buying it, all on easy: Pomerania, my first game, which I abandoned in the 1600s because PL got gigantic and kept tag teaming me with Bohemia. Then I played Portugal to do some colonization and stopped playing it once the update made the save file obsolete.

Most recently I’ve been playing a Norway colonization game. I think I’ll post some screenshots of that one this weekend because the reformation in Europe went absolutely insane. A Center popped in Vienna so Austria joined the Protestant league and successfully switched the HRE to Protestant. Even all of Italy is Protestant, except for the papal state which, after growing super strong in the 1600s and grabbing all of Genoa and a lot of the Balkans, is now relegated to Corsica. The only Catholic countries left are Scandinavia (it’s the late 1700s and I just converted from Norway), Teutons, Livonians, France, the British isles, and Iberia. (So of course this means all of the colonies are Catholic)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Econ is good but not for the inflation idea but all the extra income/cheaper military and forts

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChaseSP posted:

Econ is good but not for the inflation idea but all the extra income/cheaper military and forts
I think as a whole it is pretty good but agree that it is not worth taking if you are only interested in Inflation Reduction and there are Admin idea sets that would help you more.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Autonomy Reduction is the one I usually take Economic for. that's 6% more everything generation every decade.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Economic also has hands down the best policies. +5% discipline? Yes please

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Victoria 2 is 8 this year. it's crazy how much better CK2 was at release than V2. Remember when all Paradox games were essentially unplayable until the first few patches and hotfixes?

Now they become less playable every expansion! Really I'd count euiv as the breakpoint. Ckii at launch was weird and janky, it took until at least legacy of Rome to really start finding it's feet. Euiv came out of the gate smooth even if it'd feel really weird playing it today without forts and some of the other weird stuff they've added

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Obliterati posted:

Economic also has hands down the best policies. +5% discipline? Yes please

I really like Economic ideas but it's hard to squeeze them in when you really want both Admin and one of Religious or Humanist.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm playing a mali colonization game and i'm about to unironically take maritime as my fourth idea group. please send help, by which i mean sailors

also i'm not at all bitter about seeing 50% of all trade leave the ivory coast from nothing but downstream pressure

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

I really like Economic ideas but it's hard to squeeze them in when you really want both Admin and one of Religious or Humanist.
Same. In this Ottomans run that I have sorta been posting about I took Humanist first and boy howdy has it been great. Previously with the Ottomans I would take Admin and run 100% Merc Infantry so Admin was just really drat good for that. Now with the Army Drill / Professionalism plus Janissaries, I went Humanist to keep revolts down to both allow me to keep drilling and/or conquering PLUS no lose manpower in rebel fights. It has worked really well...I was only ever in manpower trouble once thus far in the campaign - its about 1625 now I think and I stretch from Goa to Algiers and Venice to Mogadishu. I have five combat width armies that have 50% artillery coverage (about 20 per right now, I think) and 100% Janissary Infantry. Each have a general and drill when not conquering and its pretty smooth sailing. I have been having a lot of fun...I'm glad that I stuck with it after being a little discouraged early.

Prav posted:

i'm playing a mali colonization game and i'm about to unironically take maritime as my fourth idea group. please send help, by which i mean sailors

also i'm not at all bitter about seeing 50% of all trade leave the ivory coast from nothing but downstream pressure
If it makes you feel any better I was actually considering taking it as the Ottomans with my 5th idea group because I need an Indian Ocean navy but I am at my forcelimits with a Dock in every available coastal province already :negative:

I am bitter about 60% of the Crimea node's value leave to Kiev because of ~~caravan power~~ despite the fact that I own 100% of the land in the node with a Trade Station on each trade power province and the Merchant Guild in control of two of said Trade Power provinces AND have 25 light ships patrolling there :mad:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 7, 2018

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

If it makes you feel any better I was actually considering taking it as the Ottomans with my 5th idea group because I need an Indian Ocean navy but I am at my forcelimits with a Dock in every available coastal province already :negative:

I wish they didn’t call it force limit for the Navy. Gives people the wrong idea. It should be called “cheap ships threshold” or something. When you are naval, you almost always want to go well above the force limit. Light ships pay for themselves and then some by protecting trade in peacetime and your naval tradition goes up if you are running ships above the force limit. You can mothball your heavies and transports to keep costs down.

When war comes, you have overwhelmingly larger fleets than the other side which tends to snowball your power projection. You can trap army stacks on islands by sinking or blockading their transports and since the AI is pretty bad at naval transportation in general this feels like stackwiping massive armies for free.

That said, I’ve found Maritime is pretty great for letting me have even more ships and for the self repair away from ports thing.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I hate that all the diplo idea groups are so situational. I'm playing a game where I started as a Copt in Caucasia in a randomized map and just rampage through the middle east and not a single group was useful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

da beeper king BABY posted:

I hate that all the diplo idea groups are so situational. I'm playing a game where I started as a Copt in Caucasia in a randomized map and just rampage through the middle east and not a single group was useful.

Influence is hella good, reduced AE and more dip relations owns. But I like to use vassals a lot so YMMV. Diplomatic is also very broadly useful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Influence is hella good, reduced AE and more dip relations owns. But I like to use vassals a lot so YMMV. Diplomatic is also very broadly useful.
I personally really love Diplomatic and feel that is generally underrated. 1 more diplomat is really useful; Better Relations over time is really useful; one more relation slot is really useful; 20% Province Warscore cost is incredibly useful; 2 Dip Rep is nice; cost of Reducing War Exhaustion can be awesome, but may also be useless to you; 10% Discount on Diplo techs is nice; reduced negative effects of certain diplomatic actions (like No CB'ing someone) is also situationally really useful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah diplo is actually the better idea group I just tend to have at least one huge vassal fairly early in my games and saving on the integration cost is a godsend, plus the inf + admin policy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I personally really love Diplomatic and feel that is generally underrated. 1 more diplomat is really useful; Better Relations over time is really useful; one more relation slot is really useful; 20% Province Warscore cost is incredibly useful; 2 Dip Rep is nice; cost of Reducing War Exhaustion can be awesome, but may also be useless to you; 10% Discount on Diplo techs is nice; reduced negative effects of certain diplomatic actions (like No CB'ing someone) is also situationally really useful.

the reduced negative effects of diplomatic actions is amazing because it means royal marriages are just a thing you do with no real consequences.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah diplo is actually the better idea group I just tend to have at least one huge vassal fairly early in my games and saving on the integration cost is a godsend, plus the inf + admin policy.

I think Influence might be pretty strictly stronger in the long run. If you're not feeding vassals you probably aren't expanding optimally since you can make the vassals pay the high early-game coring costs and annex them when it's cheap. The unjustified demands finisher saves a ton of diplo over the course of the game too unless you have a great CB like the Tribal ones or Deus Vult.

Take both imo if you're gonna blob, just think Influence is the stronger of the two to pick first unless you need to no-CB a bunch

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AnoHito posted:

the reduced negative effects of diplomatic actions is amazing because it means royal marriages are just a thing you do with no real consequences.
Yeah, Diplomatic owns. It even has a pretty good policy with Humanist(Multilingual Diplomats) which gives you +20% Improve Relations and +1 culture slot. Really nice if you're blobbing, and it's a DIP policy too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah, Diplomatic owns. It even has a pretty good policy with Humanist(Multilingual Diplomats) which gives you +20% Improve Relations and +1 culture slot. Really nice if you're blobbing, and it's a DIP policy too.
That policy is part of why I took it as the Ottomans over taking Influence - I needed every bit of that to avoid Europe-wide coalitions every decade. I had a massive coalition form against me for taking just the three provinces in Sicily (admittedly valuable provinces) but like....even little shits in Germany were joining since they already had a bunch of AE because I dickpunched Austria early and often.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Influence is also really good as a monarchy thanks to Cadet Branches, which indirectly translates to more monarch points via disinheriting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eldred posted:

I think Influence might be pretty strictly stronger in the long run. If you're not feeding vassals you probably aren't expanding optimally since you can make the vassals pay the high early-game coring costs and annex them when it's cheap. The unjustified demands finisher saves a ton of diplo over the course of the game too unless you have a great CB like the Tribal ones or Deus Vult.

Take both imo if you're gonna blob, just think Influence is the stronger of the two to pick first unless you need to no-CB a bunch

Depends what's holding you back I guess, AE or OE / monarch points. But the reduced WS province cost is really huge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Influence is also really good as a monarchy thanks to Cadet Branches, which indirectly translates to more monarch points via disinheriting.
Disinheriting is the coolest thing ever, even if as the Ottomans with the Ottoman government form I cant get a ruler with more than 9 total in stats when disinheriting every three to five years for three decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

One of my recent games I didn't have a ruler with a stat total below 15 for like the first 100 years, it was goddamn stupid. It actually completely breaks the game. I wish MP generation was less feast-and-famine.