Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Gogo is not Adlai Stevenson.

Fake news. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That is still the best rumor and the most logical explanation for Gogo's existence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

S'True. She's kind of the least interesting member of the cast that isnt a Non Character like Umaro or Mog or Gogo. I appreciate what the writers were trying to do, I guess, but they dont execute on it to well so her plot is "Confused and alone, decides to use her power to help save people, Comatose for the next 5 hours of gameplay, worried about what being half Esper means, falling for the lamest dude in the world who turns her down then deciding she doesnt really understand her emotions and raises a bunch of kids in a hole in the ground to teach her she's justs human as everyone else is." which just isn't done well. The poo poo with Leo especially feels like they were spinning their wheels and not sure what to do with her as a character because it adds nothing to her or her arc between Learning she's Half Monster and Accepting She's Half Human Too. That's more of an issue with Leo tbf, since he just doesn't exist in the story sans 1 small stretch of plot but they hitched a moment that was supposed to be emotional and pivotal for her to him and that's not....good. I mean that's on top of the fact that it's just kind of hyper lame a problem to right in for your first lady protagonist.

What I'm saying is Celes should have stayed the protag from the moment Terra Hulks out the first time.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Who's the lame dude Terra falls for, don't remember that at all.

Her arc is explicitly that she doesn't know what love is until she comes to love those orphan kids or whatever so that doesn't fit at all.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

mandatory lesbian posted:

You know for a game in a series called final fantasy the conversation between tidus and jecht at the end of 10 was incredibly real

Very this.

I like Terra, she has a neat sprite, great equipment options, and great magic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Who's the lame dude Terra falls for, don't remember that at all.

Her arc is explicitly that she doesn't know what love is until she comes to love those orphan kids or whatever so that doesn't fit at all.

She talks with Leo explicitly about it

quote:

Terra: I'm the product of a human and an Esper... Will I ever be able to
love someone?
Leo: Of course!
Terra: But... I haven't felt that way yet...
Leo: You're just young,... but I understand what you mean. I understand
only too well...
Terra: But... I want to know what love is... now!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That doesn't come off to me whatsoever as Terra saying she loved Leo, but eh, I don't know much about love to begin with.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alxprit posted:

That doesn't come off to me whatsoever as Terra saying she loved Leo, but eh, I don't know much about love to begin with.

That's not the whole convo but the context of the thing makes it seem like Leo is trying to be encouraging and also kinda curtail it a little bit because she's a little desperate for an answer/emotional at the time. That combined with the fact that he's the first person she's ever really confided anything that emotional or personal to makes it seem like she's trying to connect with him and he's trying to be a gentleman an side step the whole ordeal with some decent advice.

It comes out of nowhere really either way

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Terra a lot, and her arc, but Celes is the superior of the two.

They're both v good characters though imho.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Terra gets to equip the best weapons and armor, is one of the best magic user, and gets an ability that doubles her power. What's not to like?

Story wise, Celes is better in that she wakes up on an island alone with a man in a giant condom and tries to nurse him back to health.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're talking FF lady leads, I'll take Ashe over Lightning. Ashe's character arc is just a lot more interesting and she isn't insufferable. Hell, I'll take Serah over Lightning because Serah recognizes that her cat is her only true family.

But I always liked Snow so Lightning being awful to him probably soured me on her. On the other hand, the ending of XIII is almost good and sweet because of her final line to Snow and Serah. That was a satisfying resolution, unlike everything else in the ending.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 7, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

NikkolasKing posted:

Serah recognizes that her cat is her only true family.

#relatable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

If we're talking FF lady leads, I'll take Ashe over Lightning. Ashe's character arc is just a lot more interesting and she isn't insufferable. Hell, I'll take Serah over Lightning because Serah recognizes that her cat is her only true family.

But I always liked Snow so Lightning being awful to him probably soured me on her. On the other hand, the ending of XIII is almost good and sweet because of her final line to Snow and Serah. That was a satisfying resolution, unlike everything else in the ending.

Ashe is actually the worst ff protest in that she barely exists in her own story and does nothing of any narrative importance except for fight the final boss. Literally everything she does end up being pointless faffing about since it's a net zero of stuff and then the villains activate their plan so she decides to stop it. At least Lightning was moving forward. Ashe spend 50 hours going "Ancient wizard power is good and I want it to fight the empire for revenge." Then deciding that the power was bad and tossing it but still going to destroy the empire for her own revenge but she's slightly less angry about it.

Even Cecil is more interesting.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ashe has the highest MP and therefore the best black mage where she nukes everything. Ashe owns.

Speaking of 12, I did some RNG manipulation and got the Seitengrat. Took 10 minutes. Longest part was getting through the opening cutscenes and forgetting that I didn't get the diamond armlet. This weapon makes a mockery of the game. On top of its insane damage, it's attack time is super fast. Still, some enemies that become immune to physical are still a pain (Trickster comes to mind).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The FF12 remake is giving me mixed feelings. I haven't played this game since maybe a month or so after its original release in 2006 so my memories of it are vague but re-discovering it is making me find it tedious, and then I stop, take one look at the visuals and hear that music and I'm just swept up in all the majesty of these goofy games again and I'm immediately back to loving it. Its not even nostalgia, its just those moments where things click and you think "...this is loving incredible".

Its like when I played FFX again last year, a game that I hated on release now strikes me as charming and intricate in ways I didn't expect. I went from thinking these games were flawless when I was young, dismissing them as immature and poorly made an adult and then returning to them and finding out that I was wrong on both occasions and loving them more for it. I'm now seriously hoping theres a sale coming up so I can pick up the older stuff on the cheap.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

seiferguy posted:

Ashe has the highest MP and therefore the best black mage where she nukes everything. Ashe owns.

Speaking of 12, I did some RNG manipulation and got the Seitengrat. Took 10 minutes. Longest part was getting through the opening cutscenes and forgetting that I didn't get the diamond armlet. This weapon makes a mockery of the game. On top of its insane damage, it's attack time is super fast. Still, some enemies that become immune to physical are still a pain (Trickster comes to mind).

Yeah the invisible weapons are basically cheating. Its especially crazy because it doesn't even require a license, meaning that you can do the trick five more times and have your whole party rocking them regardless of their jobs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ashe is actually the worst ff protest in that she barely exists in her own story and does nothing of any narrative importance except for fight the final boss. Literally everything she does end up being pointless faffing about since it's a net zero of stuff and then the villains activate their plan so she decides to stop it. At least Lightning was moving forward. Ashe spend 50 hours going "Ancient wizard power is good and I want it to fight the empire for revenge." Then deciding that the power was bad and tossing it but still going to destroy the empire for her own revenge but she's slightly less angry about it.

Even Cecil is more interesting.

FFXII has a good, consistent theme of struggling with our demons and our pasts. Ashe has a huge chip on her shoulder because the Empire took everything away from her and she's understandably angry about that. Yet at the same time, anger bordering on hatred can only be a destructive force and all she really wants is her homeland to be free. These two things could theoretically go together but only with a moral compromise she clearly never really thought out. She wanted the Nethicite to free her people, not to kill other people. When the Occuria make it plain to her that this power she seeks can only lead to destruction, she forsakes it. Nobody had made it clear to her like the gods so helpfully did when they screamed for her to exercise Judgment, to "DESTROY THEM ALL!"

This all also happens after her hanging with people like Larsa and of course Balthier. Larsa and Balthier showed her that the Empire isn't just a bunch of murderous goons, there are good people in it who don't deserve to be annihilated. For all we know, Larsa might be the first Imperial she ever knew who wasn't a total rear end in a top hat.

Ashe is contrasted with someone like Gabranth who also lost everything and wants only destruction because of it. He hates himself so much for his failure that he craves the death the people he's been associating with for years now. His hatred and grudges rule him and Ashe clearly doesn't want to end up like him. The lust for Nethicite and power also destroyed Cid and, again, Ashe saw this and took heed of it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of 12, I did some RNG manipulation and got the Seitengrat.

Honestly I suspect that's a dev tool / testing weapon they forgot to take out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah the invisible weapons are basically cheating. Its especially crazy because it doesn't even require a license, meaning that you can do the trick five more times and have your whole party rocking them regardless of their jobs.

I'm probably going to grab another one and try trial mode to see how far I get. Main issue will be trying to steal all the items in the game, but also setting up poaching. I wonder if I can get to floor 70 at this point.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Avalerion posted:

Honestly I suspect that's a dev tool / testing weapon they forgot to take out.

It is.

They didn't forget to take it out, they figured that the odds of people accidentally finding it were so small that it was more work to take it out than to leave it in.

RPG devs and designers really don't know their target audience in some ways.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

seiferguy posted:

I'm probably going to grab another one and try trial mode to see how far I get. Main issue will be trying to steal all the items in the game, but also setting up poaching. I wonder if I can get to floor 70 at this point.

If you have access to bubble, either the spell or belts you should be good to go.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

seiferguy posted:

One of the reasons that black mage is beyond busted in zodiac age is that they get back MP just by doing damage, of which they do a lot.

Endorph posted:

people compare lightning to cloud but shes a lot more like barret in terms of personality in the japanese version, send tweet.

female barret would be the ultimate waifu

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ROFL Octopus posted:

Excellent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Red XIII wore it better

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

If you have access to bubble, either the spell or belts you should be good to go.

Have the spell and one belt. Hell yeah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's not the whole convo but the context of the thing makes it seem like Leo is trying to be encouraging and also kinda curtail it a little bit because she's a little desperate for an answer/emotional at the time. That combined with the fact that he's the first person she's ever really confided anything that emotional or personal to makes it seem like she's trying to connect with him and he's trying to be a gentleman an side step the whole ordeal with some decent advice.

It comes out of nowhere really either way

She wasn't hitting on him, and it wasn't the first time she brought up her inability to love.

quote:

CELES: So, you were born with the power of magic!? Isn't it a lovely gift...

TERRA: You... can use magic too?

CELES: When I was a baby I was artificially infused with magic
and raised as a Magitek Knight.

TERRA: Have you... loved anyone?

CELES: ??? What's that supposed to mean?

I said it before- Terra was raised from infancy as a weapon with no will of her own; she's emotionally hosed up and stunted, and knows she should be able to feel emotions and closeness to people but doesn't. So she keeps talking to other "weapons" of the Empire about it, asking if they're the same way and if what she's dealing with is "normal".

quote:

TERRA: Hmm... I suppose a normal girl would have found him
dashing. But I'm hardly... normal...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Terra was right about Edgar. She found him to be weird and creepy, and thought societal norms dictate that this is "charming." Just goes to show that the patriarchy must be destroyed.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Save it for Final Fantasy VI-2, bub.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

Save it for Final Fantasy VI-2, bub.

We already got it, its called the After Years :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Roman numerals hard

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So is Edgar

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And so am I

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, there's a lot of stuff in FFXII that's really :effort: The license boards are pretty lame imo, but I think the worst part is the loot. The environments are huge but there is zero reason to explore when all the treasures are infinitely respawnable and contain random loot ranging from 3 Gil to an entire Potion. I spent like half an hour running around exploring now, found a cave and at the end of that cave... A single potion. :geno:

Then again, even if I did find a cool sword or spell or something it's not like I could use it anyway because of how the license system works. And nothing is unique anyway since all jobs pull from the same equipment and abilities. Meh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Computer posted:

Man, there's a lot of stuff in FFXII that's really :effort: The license boards are pretty lame imo, but I think the worst part is the loot. The environments are huge but there is zero reason to explore when all the treasures are infinitely respawnable and contain random loot ranging from 3 Gil to an entire Potion. I spent like half an hour running around exploring now, found a cave and at the end of that cave... A single potion. :geno:

Then again, even if I did find a cool sword or spell or something it's not like I could use it anyway because of how the license system works. And nothing is unique anyway since all jobs pull from the same equipment and abilities. Meh.

Not true there are useful guaranteed items and spells in some chests but there's no way of knowing which ones so you have to use a guide or check them all anyway!
That's still better than the original release where there were no guaranteed drops and you could miss out on good stuff that way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah you wont find the good stuff till later in the game but especially optional areas have tons of hidden goodies

Dont skip treasures cause some of them non respaenable and give guaranteed items which are usually good or important

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And to get the zodiac spear you had to not open certain otherwise unremarkable chests, or it would not spawn from a chest later.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is the best version of ff6 still the gba port

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I say go SNES. The original script's wacky, you see more screen, and most importantly, the soundtrack sounds way better on the processor it was designed for and didn't have to be mangled into the GBA sound chip, and the soundtrack of FFVI is the most important bit.

GBA's okay, though, just as long as you don't play the mobile phone or steam abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The last few pages are making ff12 sound loving terrible