Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Anyone use a Guava FACS? Looking to buy a cheap cell counter(sorting not needed), but have really only used the Bectons before. Never heard of Guava, and they are going for dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
Hi, thread. I recently got hired at a new lab. While looking through cabinets for soap i found a full spray bottle labeled “10% sulfuric acid” in sharpie. No one knew if it was indeed acid or how long it’d been there.

Turns out it was acid. And was used to spray down a spill of sodium hydroxide a while ago which promptly gassed everyone out of the lab.

At least i’m getting paid more.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phosphene posted:

Hi, thread. I recently got hired at a new lab. While looking through cabinets for soap i found a full spray bottle labeled “10% sulfuric acid” in sharpie. No one knew if it was indeed acid or how long it’d been there.

Turns out it was acid. And was used to spray down a spill of sodium hydroxide a while ago which promptly gassed everyone out of the lab.

At least i’m getting paid more.

How's Russia?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The software I'm using to acquire all of my data just ran out of its "30 day trial license".

:suicide:

The loving software doesn't come included with our brand new half a million dollar machine!?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

The software I'm using to acquire all of my data just ran out of its "30 day trial license".

:suicide:

The loving software doesn't come included with our brand new half a million dollar machine!?

Did they hide the permanent software key on some stupid little sticky note in your IQ/OQ docs somewhere? That's what the manufacturer did with my last major piece of equipment--3,000 pages of manuals, 1" x 2" little bar code with a serial on it for the software stuck to the Systems Verification section of the binder.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

Did they hide the permanent software key on some stupid little sticky note in your IQ/OQ docs somewhere? That's what the manufacturer did with my last major piece of equipment--3,000 pages of manuals, 1" x 2" little bar code with a serial on it for the software stuck to the Systems Verification section of the binder.

That was the first thing I checked for when I spoke with the other two people who use this software. We actually don't have a software key at all; so they can't just "give" us the software with the new slide scanning microscope, but what they're going to do is just continuously renew our "trial period" so we can keep using the software.

I pray for sweet, sweet death.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008

Speaking of frozen hellscapes, our sodium hydroxide shipment arrived! Late. Frozen completely solid.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phosphene posted:

Speaking of frozen hellscapes, our sodium hydroxide shipment arrived! Late. Frozen completely solid.

I ordered two doorstops over a month ago and they are still MIA, haha.

So apparently for this software I need, we are waiting for the lady to contact her software engineers to get us a license... for a module we've told her we don't need for at least a few months. :sigh:

Found out I can at least define my ROIs to process them... whenever we get this software licensed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I heard the NIH labs had to euthanize the majority of their mouse colonies on Friday because there won't be enough extended employees to care for them/deliver drug regimens during the shutdown :( RIP mice. All the tissue culture had to be frozen down as well.

At least PubMed is still online, though not being updated. Last time the database was inaccessible IIRC.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

hope nobody's got a grant deadline coming up :\

I did my postdoc interviews after trump got elected and it actually played a part in my decision to go to a private university instead of a public university. I mean, it was a small part, but two positions had a lot of appeal and I could have been happy at either, I think.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
My boss has ordered me to attend a data integrity seminar being given by Agilent for the HPLC groups, I work in a dedicated NMR group...

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shrieking Muppet posted:

My boss has ordered me to attend a data integrity seminar being given by Agilent for the HPLC groups, I work in a dedicated NMR group...

He is aware that Agilent killed their NMR business (old Varian)?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Cardiac posted:

He is aware that Agilent killed their NMR business (old Varian)?

Yes but more importantly we use Bruker

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Yes but more importantly we use Bruker

Then even more Lol.
Typically bosses should be kept away from NMR spectrometers.

Are you in small molecule NMR?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Then even more Lol.
Typically bosses should be kept away from NMR spectrometers.

Are you in small molecule NMR?

Yup, and boss isnt that far removed from lab work so he knows the deal.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

when u do a 384 well PCR by hand but use the mouse primer instead of the rat primer :suicide:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

crabrock posted:

hope nobody's got a grant deadline coming up :\

I did my postdoc interviews after trump got elected and it actually played a part in my decision to go to a private university instead of a public university. I mean, it was a small part, but two positions had a lot of appeal and I could have been happy at either, I think.

My study section for my R01 meets in 2 weeks...

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

crabrock posted:

when u do a 384 well PCR by hand but use the mouse primer instead of the rat primer :suicide:

hahahah ahahahaha

I have a cluster of robots that does 40 of those a day, and the day someone loads the wrong primer is the day I will use the arms to choke a bitch

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
After providing obvious evidence that a chemist in another department is in fact wrong as gently caress about something, I was just told to my face that I am wrong because "as a scientist without a phd and I don't know any better".

Seriously the best retort you can come up with is degree dickwaving?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

After providing obvious evidence that a chemist in another department is in fact wrong as gently caress about something, I was just told to my face that I am wrong because "as a scientist without a phd and I don't know any better".

jesus loving christ. it could be worse, you could be in a business workplace and people braging about MBAs.

But seriously, that is toxic as gently caress. Avoid them.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Shrieking Muppet posted:

um, seriously don't let them get away with saying that, is that verbatim or paraphrased?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

People with that attitude will eventually say it to someone that can actually do something about it. A former engineer at my company said something similar to that to a shift lead in our pilot plant, and got immediately kicked out. That comment stayed with her for years afterward and made all her plant runs super difficult. Everything she wanted to do was challenged and it took twice as much work for her to convince anyone in the plant to do anything.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beat them over the head with the fattest data dick you can present. Bonus points if their supervisor is there to see it.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Don't leave us hanging, what was the rear end in a top hat wrong about.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Lt_Tofu posted:

Don't leave us hanging, what was the rear end in a top hat wrong about.

Claimed their sample didn't react with methanol when I have a pile of NMR spectra showing that over time the sample rapidly decomposes in methanol.

I stopped at my bosses office after and told him what the chemist down stairs told me and explained "i'm not loving working with this person, find someone else to do it". My boss, much to my surprise went down stairs and chewed her a new rear end in a top hat and I was greeted with a very apologetic email at the end of the day saying " I'm sorry, i didn't mean to say that, I hope we can continue to work together on future projects". I told my boss that I'm still not working with this woman and he can find someone else to deal with her.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I told my boss that I'm still not working with this woman and he can find someone else to deal with her.

:bravo:

Don't need none of that poo poo in your life!

I recently found out I'm on the author list of two papers :toot: Now to be the primary author of a paper...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Claimed their sample didn't react with methanol when I have a pile of NMR spectra showing that over time the sample rapidly decomposes in methanol.

I stopped at my bosses office after and told him what the chemist down stairs told me and explained "i'm not loving working with this person, find someone else to do it". My boss, much to my surprise went down stairs and chewed her a new rear end in a top hat and I was greeted with a very apologetic email at the end of the day saying " I'm sorry, i didn't mean to say that, I hope we can continue to work together on future projects". I told my boss that I'm still not working with this woman and he can find someone else to deal with her.

poo poo yeah!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shrieking Muppet posted:

gently caress yes, nice work!

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Shrieking Muppet posted:

well done sir!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

crabrock posted:

first thing i did today in lab was shatter 15 of the 30 slides i needed for today, and then immediately turned around and my antibody in the wrong container, so :suicide:

Edit: and a paraffin block that I've already sectioned, stained, scanned and planned to quantify today was completely mislabeled, therefore I have the wrong ROI. Today is already shaping up to be loving great.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 23, 2018

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my coworker dropped a whole 24 well plate of my best hippocampal sections and i replaced them and then FISH didn't work anyway :(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

crabrock posted:

my coworker dropped a whole 24 well plate of my best hippocampal sections and i replaced them and then FISH didn't work anyway :(

I winced when I read that they were hippocampal sections :furcry:

The software I'm using for image analysis likes to arbitrarily turn on and off its segmentation settings, please kill me. This at least doubles the analysation time. :sigh:

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
Time for more tales of Food Chemistry:
The SOP clearly states: weigh x grams into crucible
Add y mls of acid to sample + crucible
Place crucible in 500C furnace for a while, cool to room temp, repeat, weigh back.

The problem with this is, that SOP hasn’t been updated in 10 years and the product immediately and RAPIDLY expands and chars as the acid boils leaving a giant burnt marshmallowesque monstrosity that permanently discolors a crucible as is a huge pain in the dick to clean up. Which is what happened to 3 crucibles today. It SHOULD say, no acid on first heat, acid on second heat.

Also our ‘chemical sink’ sprung a leak and has been draining various concentrations and states of digested sulphuric acid onto the floor.

ALSO also, a production employee seized the everloving gently caress out of an FTIR by running an incredibly viscous sample on the highest flow rate and when the sample didn’t test, kept bypassing the clean and purge to pull again. So now production comes to our ftir to test and everyone watches them run samples.

Also also also apparently someone forgot the step of “slowly boil off ether in fume hood” before placing 16 flasks with like 80mls of ether into an oven and ethering the hell out of the lab.

This poo poo loving owns so hard.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Did anyone go to Pittcon this year? I don't see us (a LIMS/ELN vendor) attending Pittcon for too much longer. Honestly the only reason we still do it is because our #1 competitor is there and it would look bad from a marketing perspective. We joked about a gentlemen's agreement to both reduce our presence next year because sending 15 people and spending $50k on a giant booth is stupid. The internet has really destroyed trade shows but doubly so for informatics/software. I also hate Orlando. Next year is Philadelphia which annoys me because I'm local but at least it's a walkable city with non chain restaurant options.

Phosphene posted:

Place crucible in 500C furnace for a while, cool to room temp, repeat, weigh back.

The problem with this is, that SOP hasn’t been updated in 10 years and the product immediately and RAPIDLY expands and chars as the acid boils leaving a giant burnt marshmallowesque monstrosity that permanently discolors a crucible as is a huge pain in the dick to clean up. Which is what happened to 3 crucibles today. It SHOULD say, no acid on first heat, acid on second heat.

Also our ‘chemical sink’ sprung a leak and has been draining various concentrations and states of digested sulphuric acid onto the floor.

ALSO also, a production employee seized the everloving gently caress out of an FTIR by running an incredibly viscous sample on the highest flow rate and when the sample didn’t test, kept bypassing the clean and purge to pull again. So now production comes to our ftir to test and everyone watches them run samples.

Also also also apparently someone forgot the step of “slowly boil off ether in fume hood” before placing 16 flasks with like 80mls of ether into an oven and ethering the hell out of the lab.

Also all of this rules. I love hearing fun lab stories.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phosphene posted:

Ethering the lab sounds metal as gently caress.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I finally got my transfer from NMR to another the QC group, I was chatting with my new coworkers on Friday and they mentioned they had a weird data processing problem they needed to solve. After they explained it to me it actually got me interested enough to go and work on the problem this weekend which led to me making a spreadsheet that mostly automatically processes the data. I might actually be liking science again.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Our half a million dollar slide scanner has broken so badly(because everyone from this company is incompetent) that the techs/sales team people have been at it all week. Right outside my office :sigh:

The greatest part? The tech who's been dismantling it to repair it balances his $200 ASUS on top of the mechanism that controls the automated arm. :psyduck:

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I've got a pilot project for a compact display of information from our LIMS database. The end goal would be sticking little screens on 30 instruments like a store's digital pricetags, showing the most recent result from our database. I'm thinking I might start with a Raspberry Pi running Screenly over wifi as a proof of concept.

Has anyone seen mass micro-signage used in a lab? Any advice?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So apparently my new boss has been able to justify a sample management system, not a full LIMS like what we should be buying but its a step in the right direction. Is the goon who sells LIMS still around and do you sell a sample management system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So apparently my new boss has been able to justify a sample management system, not a full LIMS like what we should be buying but its a step in the right direction. Is the goon who sells LIMS still around and do you sell a sample management system?

I'm here, always, lurking, waiting, hoping to feed on the souls of other forums members. Shoot me a PM and I can help provide you as much information as I can. We tend to be tied with the other top tier vendors for "most expensive" LIMS so we might be the wrong fit but I can probably point you in the right direction.