Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Backers dont want a game, they want to be part of a shared hallucination of the future, to be a bad rear end spaceman bossing the spacelanes in their p2w chariots. They know deep down the reality will fall short, its why they never actually want the game to come out.

Many have real life problems and SC is hardcore escapism, even if its only an idea. They can lord it in the safe knowledge they will never be proven wrong.

Literally NOTHING will make them turn on Roberts; if he turned out to be a serial killer drinking the blood of his victims it would have no effect other than allowing them to rationalise vampires as A Good Thing.

If CIG lose the casethey wont care, they will throw more money at it.

Edit: drat sniped... on mobile. IOU 1 catte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

But even this problem isn't solved usefully. It's not like the miner has selected the "best" or "most appropriate" configuration. The longest chain isn't the one that includes the most transactions or whatever. It's just whoever solved the dumb math first. Hell one pool used too not submit ANY transactions (adding transactions takes time and time is bitcoins). it's like the worst, most wasteful way to solve this problem.

Yes, that's the complex algorithm part, and why it's literally a pyramid scheme where power replaces money (which is a metaphor for money).

XK posted:

No. Blockchain has no uses. None.

I wouldn't be entirely sure; we have a bunch of incubators around UCF that are working on the _chain_ verification for other uses than making the key point to the output of the complex algorithm. blockchain != cryptocurrency. It's just the most immediate use was creating the transactional chain for the complex algo.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

thatguy posted:

This took barely any work. Their faces matched almost perfectly.

And it never will end. Amen.

[Source: A3ATOT channelling AdzAdama]

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

thatguy posted:

Star Citizen was the Nothing all along.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

big nipples big life posted:

5, you meant 5 worlds.

Currently no worlds, just some moons.

that aint no moon that is ben

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

:lol:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Hav posted:

That's blockchain which actually has legitimate uses, but is merely a verification system to indicate the truthiness of a transaction in the chain. Then someone threw a complex algorithm on that produces a block that verifies on the chain, and a whole lotta nerds lose their poo poo.

Problem being that you can attack blockchain; some of the cryptocurrencies are monkeying with their chains, and it doesn't provide for any anonymity given that meta data exists and leaks.

Crytocurrency enthusiasts talk about freeing things up and liberalising currency, but they're usually on the anarchist end of the spectrum and forget that the state has the keys to the kingdom, as evinced by China withdrawing from Crypto (money laundering is a thing, and they've been alarmed by the growth in power use that isn't industrial) and Turkey/Russia embracing the gently caress out of it.

And yeah, it's actually a lovely commidity that is easily lifted with no regulation.

china encourages money laundering by only approved people. should not be an approved person list well then - your organs shall find a new home.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hav posted:

I wouldn't be entirely sure; we have a bunch of incubators around UCF that are working on the _chain_ verification for other uses than making the key point to the output of the complex algorithm. blockchain != cryptocurrency. It's just the most immediate use was creating the transactional chain for the complex algo.

Blockchains have literally no use.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Hav posted:

Yes, that's the complex algorithm part, and why it's literally a pyramid scheme where power replaces money (which is a metaphor for money).

getting out of the fed scheme is a good thing considering the fed is a monopoly that isnt state owned. replacing it with a citizen decentralized system is more conducive to democracy. Just that the citizens are picking up on this and the banks dont like losing power.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I like the bit where Star Citizen compare themselves to the work SpaceX is doing, only that SpaceX didn't need to create a Universe.

I'd say they were being jovial, but I think we all know they're not.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

Ever get to La Jolla? I used to have a house there and there is a restaurant there called Georges on the Cove. The BEST fish tacos in all of California with one of the best views you could ask for.
I was just at torrey pines for a golf lesson (because I am bad. star citizen "I will make this golf ball clip through geometry and prob a human" bad) so I'll hit that place up next time I'm down there

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
If this were a gif it would be called ServileUberSnake

reddit

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 7, 2018

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Jim DiGriz posted:

That's not giving them enough credit. Ground, doors, ships, contracts - they are breaking everything every day.

:golfclap:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kosumo posted:

Is that the kind of language you where using on that fateful night you where flirting with the Costa Concordia?

:sad:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

That fuckin bear :lol:

It's the greatest work

This poo poo makes me laugh hard every single time no matter how many times I've seen it

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Pixelate posted:

reddit

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

I, for one, would have been disappointed if someone hadn't made this!

Honestly can't think of much else to say about the failed dead $180m spaceship videogame project right now.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

trucutru posted:

He hasn't tried for at least a decade by now.

Jim Davis spends more effort in his comic strip.

BRB making Dilbert without Dilbert

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Star Citizen: Making a Game without a Game

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

reddit

That server date & year :grin:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Renegret posted:

I think I'm gonna play some star citizen right now.

*sits behind keyboard and furiously types on message boards*

It’s multiplayer and I’m playing with you now.

The FPS is horrible but I’ve seen worse from other AAA games like

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I mean nothing is going on so I'm not complaining about the bitcoin chat here but anyone interested in understanding how stupid it really is or making fun of it can come to the GBS mock thread to pool our laughter.

This might be more applicable in two days when the thread devolves into legal semantics and Derek screeching about how someone, somewhere told him something before anyone else knew it and you are unable to properly mock bitcoins here.

This sounds like you’re calling it. I’m calling you calling it for you.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

This is just in ladies, gentlemen, and ships: Derek bad, therefore star citizen good.

Keep the faith up!

This post convinced me its time to buy in.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Blockchains have literally no use.

They said the same about lasers, brosef.

https://www.santander.com/csgs/Sate...Multimedia_PT18

Hav fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 8, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

Nah man. You seem to forget once again and rather conveniently I may add, that when Chris decided to beg the internet for money since no publisher would touch him with a ten foot pole he told everyone that he had been working on it for a year prior to that. So which is it? Did it start in 2011 or is Chris a liar? It' cannot be both.

CR is.. a man of his word! He tells it as he believes it 100% of the time!

You can’t just say “this is a lie” or “that is a lie” because really who’s to say what a lie is? Can CR define a lie simply by stating what he’s thinking or feeling? It’s like opinions really, and he has an opinion of his words and those words are the truth as he sees it within that opinion.

It is this mystical power that helps him be honest, and how a developer saying “haha holy poo poo that’s impossible no we can’t do that!” can be immediately countered by CR with a “don’t believe that developer we are doing that very feature just with even more reality than he was referring to which is why he didn’t realize he was causing an internet storm.”

I have invested all of Raskolnikov’s bitcoins on his honesty! Can’t get more honest than that since bitcoin is rooted in honesty and goodness!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Phi230 posted:

If the MTD is denied basically the sky is falling and it will cause backers to rage so loving hard. Monumental amounts of fear and doubt and anger. We will see every comments section, every subreddit, every thread explode in activity. That means for a weekend we will get to chase that schadenfreud high again, for the last time for a while, until trial at least, inshallah

TLDR Friday :getin:

And the bonus is that youtube lawyer will find himself in the middle of an absolute ragestorm of demands to make it go away or else.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

Whatever happens friday there is going to be maximum retardation coming from somewhere and I'm glad of it.

Got you covered, friend.

My retardation has so far only been set at half. But soon it’s going to be set to full burn in honor of the space man riding a Tesla to Mars.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just read the latest thread summary (excellent job as always captain) and now I'm all stoked for the rage of narcissistic damage when the case is not immediately dismissed on Friday

A more realistic group of Shitzens might have picked a more realistic view of the lawsuit but I'm guessing that hill needs to be procedurally generated and the generator has been broken since 2016

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

CR is.. a man of his word! He tells it as he believes it 100% of the time!

You can’t just say “this is a lie” or “that is a lie” because really who’s to say what a lie is? Can CR define a lie simply by stating what he’s thinking or feeling? It’s like opinions really, and he has an opinion of his words and those words are the truth as he sees it within that opinion.

It is this mystical power that helps him be honest, and how a developer saying “haha holy poo poo that’s impossible no we can’t do that!” can be immediately countered by CR with a “don’t believe that developer we are doing that very feature just with even more reality than he was referring to which is why he didn’t realize he was causing an internet storm.”

I have invested all of Raskolnikov’s bitcoins on his honesty! Can’t get more honest than that since bitcoin is rooted in honesty and goodness!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

BRB making Dilbert without Dilbert

Won't work, neither Wally not the boss have a tenth of Jon's charisma.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
You're all missing the point people. VR will be in by at least 2020. Can't wait!

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 8, 2018

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
:five::five::five:

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Preen Dog posted:

Holy poo poo there's more polygon goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HB8WQ9jHh4

I can't get over how bad this is, how are CIG doing this? Screwing up this badly is should not be possible without a conscious herculean effort. I just can't... :psyboom:

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

no_recall posted:

I'm no bitcoin enthusiast, but can somebody explain in layman terms whats so good about it and why's it so hyped to hell right now?

Bitcoin is the process of watching techno-fetishist libertarians slowly and painfully rediscover the reasoning behind the existence of each and every single economic, banking, and financial regulation.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

intardnation posted:

getting out of the fed scheme is a good thing considering the fed is a monopoly that isnt state owned. replacing it with a citizen decentralized system is more conducive to democracy. Just that the citizens are picking up on this and the banks dont like losing power.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

I'm no bitcoin enthusiast, but can somebody explain in layman terms whats so good about it and why's it so hyped to hell right now?

Also Star Citizen is good, buy an Idris!

imagine if you took out a mortgage to buy JPEGs for star citizen, that's bitcoin

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Bitcoin is the process of watching techno-fetishist libertarians slowly and painfully rediscover the reasoning behind the existence of each and every single economic, banking, and financial regulation.

Much like watching CIG, with every move they make, slowly and painfully explain the reasoning behind the existence of game publishers.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Preen Dog posted:

Holy poo poo there's more polygon goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HB8WQ9jHh4

its like Picasso made a space ship game

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Beef Hardcheese posted:

It hasn’t for me. Then again I never bought into crypto currencies. Get rid of all government though imo. On your own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Warhawk109 posted:

It hasn’t for me. Then again I never bought into crypto currencies. Get rid of all government though imo. On your own!

I'm sure at some point when CIG implodes violently under the weight of its own failure, someone will lament that Chris Roberts was held back from getting the money he needed by laws that prevented him from robbing people at gunpoint.