Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Found this document near where my Marines were standing guard.

Still trying to decode it.

Looks about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

No blue ink. Looks legit.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/958749502160195585

Guess they didn't just do the quick flyby but hung out close

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/958749502160195585

Guess they didn't just do the quick flyby but hung out close

Looks like they were communicating. Keeping up foreign relations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm super excited about the prospect of having to deal with the fallout of a bunch of dipshits who don't know how to emergency destruct again.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm super excited about the prospect of having to deal with the fallout of a bunch of dipshits who don't know how to emergency destruct again.

[Zoolander]Oooooh, the files are IN the computer[/Zoolander]

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One time we did an abandon ship drill, but they didn't communicate that what they really wanted to do was have everybody muster at their lifeboat stations.
We went to the radio room and practiced the emergency destruction process.

What made it incredible is that nobody realized that we'd done that, so it started out with some annoyed calls over the 1MC, followed by some phone calls of us explaining we were doing emergency destruction for the drill, followed by frantic calls asking if we were doing real emergency destruction or just a drill.

It was a really neat experience and I'm glad we went through the motions at least once.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vilerat died right after doing emergency destruction so you have a personal story you can beat over people's heads at least.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Vilerat died right after doing emergency destruction so you have a personal story you can beat over people's heads at least.

Yeah, I was out by the time that happened, but I posted a thing on Facebook and a bunch of my friends that I kept in contact with had that sobering "oh" realization that the stuff we practiced really could have been a death sentence depending on the situation. It's such an abstract and invisible form of heroism; it's easy to see how someone charging a bunker in the face of oncoming fire is heroic, sure. But sitting in a smoke filled room while you frantically try to burn sensitive documents instead of fleeing, that's a different kind of mental state.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One time we did an abandon ship drill, but they didn't communicate that what they really wanted to do was have everybody muster at their lifeboat stations.
We went to the radio room and practiced the emergency destruction process.

What made it incredible is that nobody realized that we'd done that, so it started out with some annoyed calls over the 1MC, followed by some phone calls of us explaining we were doing emergency destruction for the drill, followed by frantic calls asking if we were doing real emergency destruction or just a drill.

It was a really neat experience and I'm glad we went through the motions at least once.

Haha yeah when I was stationed overseas the process for emergency destruction always struck me as, if you really have to do this, as in the base is falling, you're 100% gonna wind up on foreign TV/livestreamed getting beaten with a burlap sack over your head or your parents/wife/husband is getting a visit from the chaplain to thank them for you dying. You don't want to be the poor bastard who has to do emergency destruction when poo poo is going to hell.

With a large military facility this hasnt ever happened, but yeah if you were stuck on a FOB or something? Eek.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 1, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

orange juche posted:

With a large military facility this hasnt ever happened, but yeah if you were stuck on a FOB or something? Eek.

Does anything in the Philippines count? Clark was a pretty big base even in 1941. I'm guess we're not going to count the dozens of bases lost in the 18th/19th centuries.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

SeismicTriangle posted:

my classmates 10k bonus for enlisting as reserve ctn begs to differ

Or get a 10k signing bonus at your new job when you get out. Getting out owns by the way. Life is so great right now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Does anything in the Philippines count? Clark was a pretty big base even in 1941. I'm guess we're not going to count the dozens of bases lost in the 18th/19th centuries.

Cryptography goes way back, but the key difference between modern cryptography and cryptography back before the 40s, is that code books burn a hell of a lot easier than it is to smash equipment. Modern crypto equipment is a bitch to destroy if you have to really smash it, and can't sink it in the ocean.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Cryptography goes way back, but the key difference between modern cryptography and cryptography back before the 40s, is that code books burn a hell of a lot easier than it is to smash equipment. Modern crypto equipment is a bitch to destroy if you have to really smash it, and can't sink it in the ocean.

Sure (we had axes!). But the mental/emotional toll of knowing that whether you succeed or fail, the best outcome of this is probably your immediate death is the same whether you have to burn paperwork or chop computers to pieces. And the guys that got steamrolled in the Philippines probably had no idea how bad it could get.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

Sure (we had axes!). But the mental/emotional toll of knowing that whether you succeed or fail, the best outcome of this is probably your immediate death is the same whether you have to burn paperwork or chop computers to pieces. And the guys that got steamrolled in the Philippines probably had no idea how bad it could get.

You kinda make peace with it, it's always in your head, no matter how absolutely unlikely that if poo poo ever went completely pear shaped, you're probably not going to be around to see the end of it, but that's true of all naval combat, because there isn't anywhere to hide in a fight on a ship. If the Devil draws your number, you're done.

It's even more true for engineering rates on a ship, at least the radio shack guys had the comfort of being near the skin of the ship so that if you don't get directly hit, and the ship is sinking, that as long as the destruction is done, you are (hopefully) able to make it to your abandon ship station and get off the ship. I don't think snipes even have abandon ship stations.

Also, for the example of Clark AB in the PI, there was still the hope that maybe you could possibly get missed somehow and be able to escape from the Japs and hide out, no such thing on the ocean.

If I was going to die on/under the ocean, I would probably take under, because if it was a crush event, at least I wouldn't feel poo poo, it would be over before my brain could register it. On surface ships, if you're pinned under some wreckage or stuck behind some battle damage, you're gonna drown, and it's gonna suck because there's not much worse in the world than dying from drowning imo.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 2, 2018

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It sucks at first and is terrible but drat near as soon as you go to inhale all that water you black out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Annual pilgrimage complete. No mahu died to make me this fro.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Pearl Harbor bowling alley or is that a knock off imitation fried rice omelette?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s legit pearl.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Some speculation China got a rail gun on a whatever ship that happens to be.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Would legit believe that China got a railgun working.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They can barely make a ballpoint pen. I’m sure they got a good (stolen) idea about how it works but it may be a few years off.
I’m more worried about their missile tech.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're really good at something that mimics the real deal on the surface, but when you start actually looking inside, it's more like those American classic cars in Cuba that everyone goes gaga for until they open the hood and see it's powered by a lawnmower engine and the frame has been replaced with a literal wooden ladder, and almost everything has been stripped out to save weight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s why I doubt their rail gun is anything more than a Firefly prop.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s why I doubt their rail gun is anything more than a Firefly prop.

The real question is will Chinese Fox cancel it after one season?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I have no doubt they could build a functioning railgun, but building it to not eat the barrel every shot is another challenge entirely.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lou Takki posted:

I have no doubt they could build a functioning railgun, but building it to not eat the barrel every shot is another challenge entirely.

Also this.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
They're also planning on having EMALS on their future carrier and they're probably less concerned with development perfection so I believe it's totally real and they will deploy it before us.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Has anyone ever see a base that has an unsecured high speed Wi-Fi? I just moved to my new place and there's an open Wi-Fi called mycommand_llc except it's nowhere near anywhere where anyone would benefit for work purposes. Any chance they just left it open on accident?

I'm assuming it would be ill advised to use it for torrenting but what about just using it for watching Netflix or something?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Virginia Slams posted:

Has anyone ever see a base that has an unsecured high speed Wi-Fi? I just moved to my new place and there's an open Wi-Fi called mycommand_llc except it's nowhere near anywhere where anyone would benefit for work purposes. Any chance they just left it open on accident?

I'm assuming it would be ill advised to use it for torrenting but what about just using it for watching Netflix or something?

VPNs are your friend, friend.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Virginia Slams posted:

Some bases are getting decent internet. I know that in the Corpsman barracks on NAS Lemoore they were making it fast.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I think he's more questioning the unsecured Wi-Fi point with a range measured in miles.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

VPNs are your friend, friend.

Vpns are your friend however you can still get man in the middle attacked during the handshake with a VPN and have your traffic eavesdropped. It's not always a silver bullet if it's a malicious actor or an evil twin network.

Basically, if your brain tells you it's not a good idea, it's not a good idea.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wow. Finally some traction on my hosed up orders from 2016. Processed for payment!

Oh government shutdown....

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
well boot camp was a thing

howdy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

well boot camp was a thing

howdy

What was your division shipmate?

Anyone try to commit suicide?

Anyone go to mast?

What’s next for you?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
This seems like it would have been an especially lovely winter to spend in boot camp. Y/N?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

What was your division shipmate?

Anyone try to commit suicide?

Anyone go to mast?

What’s next for you?

101, ship 14, the good ol drop zone

no but our division didnt get dropped nearly enough

yes, for doing a racism

san diego for stg a school, flying out tomorrow. gently caress all the snow here

Im eating a burger right now tho so life is good

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This seems like it would have been an especially lovely winter to spend in boot camp. Y/N?

one of our rdcs almost ate poo poo constantly on the ice so it was almost worth it but we were so far away from firefighting amd pearl harbor and poo poo so a one way trip would take 45 minutes

it sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

boy are my arms tired posted:

101, ship 14, the good ol drop zone

no but our division didnt get dropped nearly enough

yes, for doing a racism

san diego for stg a school, flying out tomorrow. gently caress all the snow here

Im eating a burger right now tho so life is good

You iron any underwear? That was probably the only real skill I learned