Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Tbf 90% of all video games are probably complete garbage and not worth anyone's time anyway

Okay fridge corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The absolute worst example of too many enemies is the Favela sections of Modern Warfare 2. It was just insanely stupid when you end up mowing down a good thousand Brazilians.

I remember the moment I had a deep-seated realization about the artificiality and slapdash nature of game development, and it was in Modern Warfare when I realized that the game would send never-ending streams of enemies until you crossed some arbitrary line in the stage that would trigger the checkpoint to make them stop

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pablo Gigante posted:

Okay fridge corn.

Steam is proof positive of what they are saying though.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Bust Rodd posted:

Steam is... bad?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember the moment I had a deep-seated realization about the artificiality and slapdash nature of game development, and it was in Modern Warfare when I realized that the game would send never-ending streams of enemies until you crossed some arbitrary line in the stage that would trigger the checkpoint to make them stop

gently caress any game that does this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

Most of those don't count as games

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Let out an audible gleeful yelp when I successfully mounted colossi 5. gently caress I love this game

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

Let out an audible gleeful yelp when I successfully mounted colossi 5. gently caress I love this game

I let out an audible defeated yelp after I fell off for the 10th time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

whats weird is thats really only bad in MW1. they sorta "fix" it in the others, escpialy the new ones. hell i remeber reading various game articles with statements from the dev team talking about they fixed that issue for mw2.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say leave the hints on, as they take a long time to occur, they're a brief bit of text that doesn't actually interrupt gameplay, and it's generally around the point you're getting frustrated trying to figure the next step out.

People can play however they want but the Dormin hints were the one thing that frustrated me on the PS2 game. Half the drat fun on a first playthrough is running around in a panic trying to figure out how to mount the drat thing even if it takes half an hour. Then this rear end in a top hat suddenly butts in after two or three minutes and basically tells you how to do it. I don't get what people would see as fun about that. Nearly every colossus is trivial to kill once you've actually figured out how to mount them. I wished so badly that it had a way to turn them off. The fact that Bluepoint added that option to this release is evidence that a lot of people feel the same way. I mean, people can turn them off then turn them back on if they get frustrated. Each colossus is a puzzle and the hints basically remove the puzzle from the drat puzzle game.

Uncharted talk: One of the funny things about the games throwing tons of enemies at you is that a character in the second game actually calls Drake out for being a mass murderer.

...! fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 7, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Half the time the hints remove all the mystery from the puzzle, half the time they're too obtuse to help anyway.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

...! posted:

People can play however they want but the Dormin hints were the one thing that frustrated me on the PS2 game. Half the drat fun on a first playthrough is running around in a panic trying to figure out how to mount the drat thing even if it takes half an hour. Then this rear end in a top hat suddenly butts in after two or three minutes and basically tells you how to do it. I don't get what people would see as fun about that. Nearly every colossus is trivial to kill once you've actually figured out how to mount them. I wished so badly that it had a way to turn them off. The fact that Bluepoint added that option to this release is evidence that a lot of people feel the same way. I mean, people can turn them off then turn them back on if they get frustrated.

Uncharted talk: One of the funny things about the games throwing tons of enemies at you is that a character in the second game actually calls Drake out for being a mass murderer.

Have you tried it on hard? I've been enjoying it a lot more.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Escobarbarian posted:

That was the exact point all those years ago when I knew the game was going to be one of the best I ever play.

Really loving all these fresh reactions to SotC :)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

jeffLebowski posted:

it controls exactly like the original game... aka really well? it is a horse. not a car.
Cars are easy to control. What's wrong with having it control like a car? It's not a real horse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What exactly is the difference between normal and hard in SOTC? Far as I can tell the grip meter seems much smaller than I remember. And maybe they jiggle around more. It still feels hard to actually die but I fall off a lot more than I remember while playing on hard.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In the original release, the Colossi had more weak points you had to search for.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

A bunch of the colossi have extra sigils to stab, beyond the standard health/damage changes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crows Turn Off posted:

Cars are easy to control. What's wrong with having it control like a car? It's not a real horse.

hahaha right? I’m here climbing on the beards of gigantic monsters I really don’t care about realistic horse riding physics

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Just think, if SOTC remake does gangbusters maybe they'll do a bonus remaster of ICO just for kicks :swoon:

Makes me super happy to see all the glowing SOTC trip reports and all the people experiencing it fresh for the first time.

The flipside however...

Escobarbarian posted:

I hate how this horse handles. I heard this was the best horse in video games but gently caress that it’s not a patch on Epona

....if there's a worse opinion so far in 2018 then I haven't seen it. :getout:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Titanfall 2 is pretty rad so far

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

:yeah:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Knack's one melee attack is shorter range than every single enemy's attack, requiring well-planned and timed attacks and quick reflexes. Truly, Knack is a thinking man's game.

it's such a weird game because it's a mario/sonic/crash bandicoot game with what is very clearly God of War's combat engine

but it's pretty short and enjoyable for free. Rime and Grand Strategy on the other hand are legit Good Games and i'm not sure why the latter is kind of hidden away

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

....if there's a worse opinion so far in 2018 then I haven't seen it. :getout:

I've grown to like its animations and stuff (the way it skids to a halt omg) but it handles sooooo bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't try to micromanage Agro, just steer him in the direction you wanna go and let him do his thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Brilliant game. Really shows how a good SP experience should be done: short and sweet, never time to get boring or for any element to get stale. Loved it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I've grown to like its animations and stuff (the way it skids to a halt omg) but it handles sooooo bad

Disagree. Vehemently.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Disagree. Vehemently.

Horse in mgsv was better. Diamond horse

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought Borderlands was the game with the diamond horse???

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Don't get me started on MGSV, I will o u t l a s t you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Agro is a good horse. You just need to steer him a little and he does his horse thing. He isn't a car.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

precision posted:

it's such a weird game because it's a mario/sonic/crash bandicoot game with what is very clearly God of War's combat engine

but it's pretty short and enjoyable for free. Rime and Grand Strategy on the other hand are legit Good Games and i'm not sure why the latter is kind of hidden away

Grand Kingdom isn't my thing but it seems good for what it is. I was hoping for a Not Fire Emblem but it plays well

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

That's a good horse also

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Haha, yeah. Also, why do I have to hit the jump button when I get to the edge of a platform in Mario? And can't cancel animations in Souls games?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of which, learning to deal with the animations in MonHun is really trying

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of which, learning to deal with the animations in MonHun is really trying

Play hammer and only attack when theres an incline near by or the monster is down for the best mon hun xperience. Just be chilling and emoting on flat land when the monster is up, wish your buds good luck. Then do as much damage as all of them combined in a single slope flip jump or big bang head combo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am playing with Heavy Bowgun which I am digging, but it's definitely a huge difference between grouping (where I can just chill and snipe from a hill and be like GLHF) and going solo (where I have to hope my palico can hold aggro long enough for me to shoot and also get ready to dodge like 5 seconds in advance of an attack)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can get a palico tool that lets them taunt and tank monsters, I haven't messed around with it too much but it might help.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The heavy bowgun is maybe the weapon with the single least ability to defend yourself if you don't put on a shield, because its roll is so unbelievably slow and long. It's not easy to use when you're getting attacked. Give a faster weapon a try like the insect glaive or sword and shield (or just the light bowgun if you are really set on gunning). Those weapons still lock you down for longer than most games, but they're faster than most in monster hunter and they have good standard dodges that let you play a lot more reactively. I find them way easier in general.

What I'm seeing from folks up in the ranks is that the HBG is incredibly powerful when you spec it so that you can just overpower monsters with insane damage and not ever have to dodge because you're just constantly hitting their stagger and knockdown thresholds, but my personal experience is that if you're not doing that, it is pure misery to get tunneled with the HBG drawn

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I guess I should probably play through SOTC finally eh? I had it before. Played like 40% through on a not huge computer monitor. Didn’t totally suck me in and I hated the controls and framerate. Now I’ve got a 55” plasma and a PS4 with the comfiest controller in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played the PS3 remaster on a 100" projector screen and it was one of the best game experiences ever. Can't wait for my PS4 copy to arrive :allears: