Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Honestly they could probably just keep all the bullshit if they made her squishy instead of, you know, a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Why does Maiev have more HP then characters like Thrall and non Taunt Varian when she already has her passive and a teleport. Like, who looks at that and says “Yup, seems legit”

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the philosophy was "she has no sustain, so we can't make her fragile".

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

No sustain would probably be a lot more impactful in a game without healers and fountains and universal healing globes and no Armor and....

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Heroes balanced by having no sustain:

Hanzo
Genji
Greymane
Maiev

Hm.......

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a good philosophy, it's a typical case of a straight-forward flaw to compensate for pros... that doesn't work in practice.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Does Malthael's Die Alone apply extra damage to the minions if you hit minions + 1 hero with it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maeiv either needs to be made of paper or get a big nerf to the Q reset. With her current stats she might still be solid if the Q reset was flat out removed.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
https://streamable.com/g6eqj

The Q resets here are pretty crazy, but if she just dies like 10 seconds in because she has reasonable health and no armor it wouldn't really be an issue.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Hey, I'm not saying it's a good philosophy, it's a typical case of a straight-forward flaw to compensate for pros... that doesn't work in practice.

Kinda like how low HP doesn’t really compensate an assassin having high range, damage and mobility?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sindai posted:

Maeiv either needs to be made of paper or get a big nerf to the Q reset. With her current stats she might still be solid if the Q reset was flat out removed.

I'd prefer if they left in the resets and lowered something not related to skill. ~more rewarding game play~

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Not to say I have an educated opinion about Maiev, but this seems to happen with every new assassin the game introduces. I remember when Ragnaros was new and he was first ban/first pick material for a while as well.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
They have gone both ways. Tracer, Li-Ming, Rag, Samuro were all pretty OP on release, but Chromie, Lunara, Greymane were all historically bad.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It did not happen with KTZ or Hanzo (Hanzo op, but not like this) and certainly not with Junkrat. Rag was ages ago.

Releasing Maiev like this was very weird. The immediate release balance of the last 8 heroes was very good, each of them debuting at mid-40s, so I don't really understand how their process could go so wrong this time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Release Hanzo was trash and then they buffed him. Release KTZ was actually OP in the hands of the right person, he could 100-0 anyone in one burst and then he got toned down a little.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Maiev's kit is overloaded as poo poo and she's billed as a really bold solution to all of their other design problems lately, so naturally she's broken.

That said, anecdotally, playing games last night whipped the poo poo out of every single one I saw, all of whom misplayed almost every aspect of her combos.

So whoever these people are winning 65% of their matches with her are I certainly haven't met them yet.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I still say they need to take like 2 months off of making new characters and just do a very detailed balance pass on most heroes. Too many outliers and under performing heroes in the game

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Midnightghoul posted:

I still say they need to take like 2 months off of making new characters and just do a very detailed balance pass on most heroes. Too many outliers and under performing heroes in the game

But that won't get people to buy new things.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Midnightghoul posted:

I played Chen the other day on a whim and by the end of the match it felt like I had brought a station wagon to a drag race. That dude gets my vote for most desperately in need of a fuckin' touch-up.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Libertine posted:

I played Chen the other day on a whim and by the end of the match it felt like I had brought a station wagon to a drag race. That dude gets my vote for most desperately in need of a fuckin' touch-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFp_-nprXAk

:getin:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

It kinda makes me wonder if it actually is possible to make a hero that counters hyper mobility without taking a giant poo poo on literally everything else in the game. Like if someone really is strong enough to consistently shut down Genji andTracer (Hanzo to an extent, he’s mostly about retarded range though) doesn’t that usually mean they absotely poo poo on slower melee heroes or immobile casters.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So right now Maiev has a 66% winrate overall.

But for people who pick Naisha's Memento lvl 1, it's 74%.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Libertine posted:

Chen is bad and I never want to see one on my team, but he has also actually won an HGC match this season which is more than you can say for about two dozen other heroes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It kinda makes me wonder if it actually is possible to make a hero that counters hyper mobility without taking a giant poo poo on literally everything else in the game. Like if someone really is strong enough to consistently shut down Genji andTracer (Hanzo to an extent, he’s mostly about retarded range though) doesn’t that usually mean they absotely poo poo on slower melee heroes or immobile casters.

Bloodseeker from DotA has an ult that applies a debuff that deals damage = distance traveled. Make it scale so it's (distance traveled)^3 or something. So a Kael or Jaina would take a little bit of damage as they try to run away but a Genji that dashes just explodes mid dash.

Oh also he is able to gain vision on anyone with low hp and gains a stacking movement speed buff for each enemy with low hp. At 5 stacks he runs around like a racecar and is faster than most projectiles in the game. So basically just make him a Rock n' Roll Racer and call it a day.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 7, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Designing a hero that counters heroes who do too much is a fool's errand and you could just ban them anyways. The right way to do it is to not give highly mobile heroes ranged AAs or mitigation - zeratul is not a problem for this reason because everyone can punish him. Melee heroes with low health pools can and should be mobile, it's when they're ranged that it becomes a much bigger problem.

A longer effective range on an assassin should mean less mobility, and the two most mobile assassins in the game have ranged AAs.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 7, 2018

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

bamhand posted:

Bloodseeker from DotA has an ult that applies a debuff that deals damage = distance traveled. Make it scale so it's (distance traveled)^3 or something. So a Kael or Jaina would take a little bit of damage as they try to run away but a Genji that dashes just explodes mid dash.

Oh also he is able to gain vision on anyone with low hp and gains a stacking movement speed buff for each enemy with low hp. At 5 stacks he runs around like a racecar and is faster than most projectiles in the game. So basically just make him a Rock n' Roll Racer and call it a day.

I actually have thought of Bloodseeker or something like him in HotS, but then I realized Recall would probably cleanse the bleed out and Genji could probably just [PROTECTED] it and so I don’t really see the point.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Chen becomes bad the moment the enemy team has more than one stun, which isn't always the case in QM. He works well as a "You done hosed up and didn't draft enough stuns" last pick in the draft mode. Keep in mind that his primary contribution as a tank is body blocking a slowed enemy while chugging beer, so your value to the team varies on how often you're teamfighting in areas with choke points.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Chen was pretty good but then he got a bunch of nerfs and changes in a row for seemingly no reason because no one was asking for them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Dietrich posted:

Chen becomes bad the moment the enemy team has more than one stun, which isn't always the case in QM. He works well as a "You done hosed up and didn't draft enough stuns" last pick in the draft mode. Keep in mind that his primary contribution as a tank is body blocking a slowed enemy while chugging beer, so your value to the team varies on how often you're teamfighting in areas with choke points.

Chen used to be one of my most played characters in many ranked seasons ago but I haven't enjoyed him in awhile because the number of people who can interrupt him or get around him is usually almost the entire enemy team nowadays.

Elysium posted:

Chen was pretty good but then he got a bunch of nerfs and changes in a row for seemingly no reason because no one was asking for them.

...and this.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Speaking of changes no one asked for, Maltheal feels just terrible to play now.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dietrich posted:

I wanted to play Chen in a QM game last weekend since it had been a long time since I tried him out and I remembered that I quite liked him. The enemy team had a tyrande and a Johanna... it was miserable, I just wanted the game to be over because I felt so useless.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Speaking of changes no one asked for, Maltheal feels just terrible to play now.

From the patch notes:
"We think that by reducing the power of each individual part, it will bring this angel down to Earth."

Did they like, think Malth was op? Why do they hate this character?

In better news, Maeiv is a lot of fun to play. I'm still getting my bearings with her but I've definitely gotten much better. One thing I'm not entirely sure about is how to get out of fights. She seems to be encouraged to dive in and tether as many people as possible, but she doesn't have any escape until her tp comes off cd.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

No Wave posted:

A longer effective range on an assassin should mean less mobility, and the two most mobile assassins in the game have ranged AAs.
I really miss the days when Illidan was the most mobile character in HOTS by a wide margin.

PantsBandit posted:

From what I've heard, Blizzard is terrified of anything with health shredding becoming too powerful because one of the most unique aspects of HOTS is Cho'Gall and having an entire category of characters that can counter him easily worries the team.

Which is a really loving dumb explanation because there are a ton of ways to counter Cho'Gall that don't involve shred but I'm just parroting what I've been told.

Kith fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 7, 2018

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
With how much she was tearing up my teams this morning I'd wonder if she even needs an escape in her current state. Dios mio!

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

I'd imagine you get out the way every bruiser does, by murdering the gently caress out of everyone and leaving when their corpses litter the floor. Alternatively, walking backwards with vault up to soak their initial CC barrage.

I think they did think Malth was OP since he does get picked a fair amount in HGC and his tank shredding was still silly, even if now it's, what, 75% of what it used to be?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Valeera was actually fairly balanced and shat on Genji and Tracer with her long silence effect. Then the nerfed her into oblivion.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

porfiria posted:

Valeera was actually fairly balanced and shat on Genji and Tracer with her long silence effect. Then the nerfed her into oblivion.

Probably because long silence durations really suck to play against as pretty much anyone.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

porfiria posted:

But the problem with that silence duration was that it meant Valeera shat on everyone else just as hard as she did to Overwatch assassins.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

PantsBandit posted:

Malth does % based damage to objectives like the Garden Terror and the immortals on Battlefield of Eternity which is really strong. I think nerfing the amount of damage he does to heroes so that he wasn't the strongest assassin in the game is an ok trade off for being the strongest hero on those maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Though, how would some ability that specifically only removed dashes/blinks work? Kinda like a root without immobilizing you.

Edit: Though, don't other heroes also do huge damage to objectives and still have great damage against other heroes? People like Greymane and Valla...