Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zoran posted:

Guys, I don't think Disney is going to let off the gas after Episode IX.

Lol at anyone that thought Disney wasn't going to try to pump out SW movies like Marvel movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Disney buys Star Wars from Lucas for 4 Billion something.

"Welp, this must be the end for Star Wars!"

Disney releases plans to create Star Wars content until the end of time.

"WTF?!?!?!?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've said it before, but I better Disney's banking on SOLO being successful so they can recast Luke and Leia and do films set during and immediately after the OT

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I've been waiting for the announcement of an animated show set between ANH and ESB (or after ROTJ) centered on Luke, Leia and Han. I think there's a decent chance that'll be Filoni's next project, unless he'd prefer working on original characters.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Hansen85 posted:

I've been waiting for the announcement of an animated show set between ANH and ESB (or after ROTJ) centered on Luke, Leia and Han. I think there's a decent chance that'll be Filoni's next project, unless he'd prefer working on original characters.

Yellow jacket Luke

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Timby posted:

That movie being completely ignored for La La Land's two dogshit songs at the Oscars was criminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWTcmjnEGY
This movie was dogshit too. It has the dumbest plot ever

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I'm glad the Game of Thrones guys took over Star Wars after they ran out of books to lift scenes from and everyone got pissed at the two for how bad their actually original material is. Kathleen Kennedy, you have truly accomplished something great, and that is making Star Wars a bland, unimaginative, and utterly exhausting property within a smattering of a few years under your guidance.

Yeah they better just do the Thrawn books or something because they need source material.

I mean, they probably got the green light from HBO to do anything and went "Modern-day Confederacy"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This image here is the best thing to come out of the entire franchise since the 80s:

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I don't get these new movies' obsession with giving characters jewelry when it's comparatively rare in the first six.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 7, 2018

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hope that’s pazaak

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Hope that’s pazaak

It's sabacc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, Glover confirmed it:

Donald Glover posted:

Yeah, we are playing a game of sabacc. A lot of it, you know?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hansen85 posted:

I don't get these new movies' obsession with giving characters jewelry when it's comparatively rare in the first six.

Space jewelry owns and you can sell it to ppl. Also leia wore a big honkin necklace in ANH.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Hansen85 posted:

jedi and sith dont care about jewelry and most of the other characters are soldier types. id bet lando had rings on in esb, but i dont remember. it makes some sense that a movie about criminals would have some more interesting outfits.

I dig the 2 headed worm guy

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

ptkfvk posted:

I dig the 2 headed worm guy

I like him too. Though most of the aliens in the new movies follow the trend of "wrinkly beige thing with a scrunched face", this one at least has a different head(s) and face (even if he is still wrinkled and beige).

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

This image here is the best thing to come out of the entire franchise since the 80s:

Hook this poo poo into my veins. Anything that looks like it comes from 70s sci-fi art is good

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, why a Solo movie and not a Lando movie? Or does that come later?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SimonCat posted:

"You know why" gif

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SimonCat posted:

Give all your bucks to Disney on opening night and there will be a goddamn Lando sequel to Solo staring Glover.

Mark my words.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

They shoulda got Matthew McGrory.

A couple pages back but McGrory's been dead for 13 years sadly, or maybe that's the joke.

Why does everything in the trailer look so bleak? What's with the muted colors all over the place? Also, could they have picked someone that looks and sounds less like Harrison Ford? With the reports of this dude not even being able to act makes me wonder why the gently caress he was hired in the first place.

I'm going to see this for Donald Glover, he's our only hope.

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!

Davros1 posted:

I've said it before, but I better Disney's banking on SOLO being successful so they can recast Luke and Leia and do films set during and immediately after the OT

My guess is that ~10 years from now they decide to straight-up remake the OT.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The studios discovered that Continuity Congruous Pseudo Remakes (CCPRs) are better than the blunt tool of the old school remake--see Creed, Jurassic World, and The Force Awakens.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

The studios discovered that Continuity Congruous Pseudo Remakes (CCPRs) are better than the blunt tool of the old school remake--see Creed, Jurassic World, and The Force Awakens.

I prefer the Prequel/Sequel/Reboot/Remake approach ala Star Trek 09 and Mortak Kombat 2011.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Detective No. 27 posted:

I prefer the Prequel/Sequel/Reboot/Remake approach ala Star Trek 09 and Mortak Kombat 2011.

Isn't Star Trek 09 canonical with the old stuff because of time travel? Sort of a gray area I suppose.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That Lando parody song someone posted earlier was so good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

edit: the only canonical series in the Kelvin Timeline is Enterprise.

edit 2: quote is not edit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

Isn't Star Trek 09 canonical with the old stuff because of time travel? Sort of a gray area I suppose.

Both of those examples I stated are.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

hiddenriverninja posted:

edit: the only canonical series in the Kelvin Timeline is Enterprise.

edit 2: quote is not edit

But also old Spock is from the Prime Timeline, as is Eric Bana. And the Kelvin Timeline wouldn't exist without those people from the Prime Timeline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another rumour making the rounds (on the basis that she has been in meetings with Kennedy) is that Reed Morano, who is a cinematographer and director probably best known lately for her work on The Handmaid's Tale, could potentially be getting a Star Wars movie (or something) as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
FWIW, she denied that the meeting she took with Kennedy was about directing a Star Wars movie. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

FWIW, she denied that the meeting she took with Kennedy was about directing a Star Wars movie. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Maybe its for the Indiana Jones Cinematic Universe

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

So it's about DPing a Star War

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

AndyElusive posted:

Give all your bucks to Disney on opening night and there will be a goddamn Lando sequel to Solo staring Glover.

Mark my words.

I love paying $15 for a possibly good movie five years from now, and also having to pay $15 then.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

porfiria posted:

As mentioned before, Enterprise is canon in the Kelvin timeline. Everything else diverged when the Narada appeared via red matter fuckery and destroyed the Kelvin.

Bob Orci's script for Reboot Trek 3--the one he wrote with a couple of bobos and was so bad that it got them all fired--was going to revolve around some leftover red matter from the Narada being found, and a group of renegade Vulcans were looking to get their hands on it and detonate it, in the hope of restoring Vulcan and the Prime timeline. Kirk and Co. were ordered to stop them, and Kirk was torn throughout the mission, rationalizing that if he allowed the Prime timeline to be restored, it would mean that he would know his father. The renegade Vulcans set off a test detonation, which then led to William Shatner appearing as PrimeKirk and talking PineKirk through all his bullshit, Days of Future Past-style, saying that the Kelvin universe needed to survive and everyone deserved to live their own lives, leading to PineKirk resolving to stop the Vulcans.

Like I said, it was so terrible that when Paramount read the script, the immediate reaction was to fire Orci (who was going to direct the drat thing, and Paramount was hesitant about that in the first place and only agreed to it because of Abrams' recommendation) and hand the project over to Simon Pegg.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

I love paying $15 for a possibly good movie five years from now, and also having to pay $15 then.

Same

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Timby posted:

As mentioned before, Enterprise is canon in the Kelvin timeline. Everything else diverged when the Narada appeared via red matter fuckery and destroyed the Kelvin.

Bob Orci's script for Reboot Trek 3--the one he wrote with a couple of bobos and was so bad that it got them all fired--was going to revolve around some leftover red matter from the Narada being found, and a group of renegade Vulcans were looking to get their hands on it and detonate it, in the hope of restoring Vulcan and the Prime timeline. Kirk and Co. were ordered to stop them, and Kirk was torn throughout the mission, rationalizing that if he allowed the Prime timeline to be restored, it would mean that he would know his father. The renegade Vulcans set off a test detonation, which then led to William Shatner appearing as PrimeKirk and talking PineKirk through all his bullshit, Days of Future Past-style, saying that the Kelvin universe needed to survive and everyone deserved to live their own lives, leading to PineKirk resolving to stop the Vulcans.

Like I said, it was so terrible that when Paramount read the script, the immediate reaction was to fire Orci (who was going to direct the drat thing, and Paramount was hesitant about that in the first place and only agreed to it because of Abrams' recommendation) and hand the project over to Simon Pegg.

Star Trek Beyond was the best of the reboots so far imo

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

That's pretty much the experience of going to franchise movies in a nutshell.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

That's pretty much the experience of going to franchise movies in a nutshell.

Yeah, don't.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Star Wars: Yeah, don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

Every movie is a possibly good movie