Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I think Rayman origins' water levels weren't too bad. Dunno about legends tho

Also i'm scared to go after the bsides. Finishing the final climb made my fingers feel like they were going to fall off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I did 1B and 2B before doing 3A and it wasn’t toooo bad. 150 or so deaths on 1B and 285 on 2B. I still haven’t finished all the main stages but should do so today. Anyways you’ll be fine. Just breathe, you can do this.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I failed the final jump on 4A's Golden Strawberry and I had to put the game down last night because I was so defeated.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

SeXReX posted:

Could be worse

Chapter 6 was an entire water level at one point

I don't suppose there's a way we can experience that madness. Yeah I'm actively looking for another way to hurt my fingers what of it. :colbert:

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

I may never reach this point but I’m curious: if you’re going for the golden strawberry and accidentally dash, can you die on the same screen and continue the run or does a dash at any point mean you back out to the menu and start again?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Golden strawberries are turning out easier to get than I thought they would due to not going for other strawberries, and that being the majority of my deaths.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Abisteen posted:

I may never reach this point but I’m curious: if you’re going for the golden strawberry and accidentally dash, can you die on the same screen and continue the run or does a dash at any point mean you back out to the menu and start again?

Afaik you gotta start the level over.

There's a invisible "fewest dashes" counter on your save file for every level and it's gotta be 0 for that strawb

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I did it, I got the golden on 4A! Perseverance paid off!

Now I'm looking at 5A as the next possibility. It's a long stage but I just cleared it a moment ago with 11 deaths, all to the monsters. The actual platforming and stuff doesn't really give me any problems here, just the monsters.

I doubt I'll ever go for 3A. I'm just too bad at dealing with the blobs and final part.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SeXReX posted:

There's a invisible "fewest dashes" counter on your save file for every level and it's gotta be 0 for that strawb

Is that even possible outside of level 1-A? Some of the other levels force you to use a dash at some point, like with the space blocks in 2.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is that even possible outside of level 1-A? Some of the other levels force you to use a dash at some point, like with the space blocks in 2.

The golden winged strawberry for doing that in 1-A brings you to a nice even 200 so I'm assuming that's the only one possible

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeXReX posted:

That should be visible, it would be fun to go for low scores.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okay NOW I'm streaming the rest of the main story. Probably won't get to the B-Sides today but if you come watch you might be able to convince me to subject myself to some DEEP HURTING on stream!

edit:

https://twitter.com/CJacobsSA/status/961329745219768321

I got stuck in the mirror dimension!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 7, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat 7C

That last section is such bullshit

One more... just one more...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8C cleared

Last screen was a lot more fun than 7C

And with that I'm done. Celeste is over. Farewell Madeline, it's been quite the journey.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

DESSELB#

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sorry if it's been explained before, but I've been avoiding spoilers. In 7B, what does the bird mean by "Dash+Jump L-up"? It's pretty clear I can somehow jump extra high without burning a dash, but I can't seem to make it work no matter what I do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stand next to a wall, dash up, and jump in the middle of your dash for extra high jump.

Ok, good move right? Ok now do that on tiny little blocks hanging in mid air surrounded by spikes on three sides.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Inferior Third Season posted:

Sorry if it's been explained before, but I've been avoiding spoilers. In 7B, what does the bird mean by "Dash+Jump L-up"? It's pretty clear I can somehow jump extra high without burning a dash, but I can't seem to make it work no matter what I do.

Dash up right next to the wall. While dashing up, as soon as you reach the wall on your side, press jump for a more powerful wall-jump. It's an advanced movement technique used mainly in speedrunning and some of the later B and C levels. The trickiest part for me is starting my dash from the right place.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Okay, thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow. But that's a really terrible instruction the bird gives. Knowing the solution now, the hint makes even less sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Madeline's mirror dimension is being attacked by cthulus. My mirror dimension is being attacked by sentient data packets.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat it I made it to the last screen on 1a and accidentally hit the dash button. X is too close to A on a joycon!

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Usually I can play platformers with the stick but the need for diagonal dashes in this game is just not working with the switch stick. So my left hand is slowly calcifying into a claw as it's contorted to press this horrendously placed d-pad.

Game is good tho.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I just play with the stick and eat a few missed inputs. I find that I rarely dash in the wrong direction now, though, having used it through the main story levels. I’ve been missing inputs a bit in the b-sides again, I guess I’m mashing directions a bit more frantically now, but still, trying the d pad has always felt worse.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Alright, I'm all done. 8C was definitely much less of a nightmare than 7C, only 215 deaths instead of 730. Had a ton of fun with this game. It's replaced Dustforce as my favorite precision platformer. The high end Dustforce levels, I'd definitely say are harder, but the overall package of Celeste was just amazing, especially the way the narrative and the gameplay wove together.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I've been playing on Switch joycons and have a no death clear on 1-B and am working on the same for 2-B. I've flubbed a few inputs but it always feels like my fault.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How do I get the 4A Heart?

I can see it in the screen, but no way to get there, seemingly. There's a weird white block I can walk through at the bottom, so I assume the solution has something to do with that, but no amount of dashing, jumping or walking seems to help.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Artelier posted:

How do I get the 4A Heart?

I can see it in the screen, but no way to get there, seemingly. There's a weird white block I can walk through at the bottom, so I assume the solution has something to do with that, but no amount of dashing, jumping or walking seems to help.

Let fond memories carry you to the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_saM7I20pY

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So...is that like a warp trick or something?

(I didn't grow up with Mario, own none, and have only played the original and SMW a handful of times)

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Artelier posted:

(I didn't grow up with Mario, own none, and have only played the original and SMW a handful of times)

Well, here's the relevant part of Mario 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr1rWUVsx-A&t=42s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Artelier posted:

Darn it! I thought I was being clever!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Artelier posted:

yeah it's some dumb poo poo that if you haven't played a specific mario game from the early 90s you probably won't get

it's probably my least favourite "puzzle" in the game for this reason

just crouch on the block until you fall through and then you're in the background and can climb up that way

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

yeah it's some dumb poo poo that if you haven't played a specific mario game from the early 90s you probably won't get

it's probably my least favourite "puzzle" in the game for this reason

just crouch on the block until you fall through and then you're in the background and can climb up that way

I dunno if you can really reduce one of the most popular video games ever made and sold to "a specific mario game from the early 90s" to be fair. If you grew up playing video games then not knowing about it probably puts you in the minority even if you haven't played the game yourself I'd say.

edit: That said, a hint somewhere for those that don't know about it wouldn't hurt, then they just wouldn't get the reference.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 8, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I mean, I consider myself a pretty "heavy gamer", for 2 decades now, it just happens that it's always been PC. I know of Mario, and I even played SMW to 100% on a borrowed gameboy, but any knowledge of the others is purely accidental.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also have never played Mario Bros 3, I was a Sega kid, but I still knew what to do just by cultural osmosis. Like yeah in Celeste it's not much of a challenge but it's not all that uncommon knowledge. It's like one of gaming's first major whispered-among-friends-secrety-secret-easter-eggs. :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 8, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I guess I'm the outlier then, since I'm not aware of that warp (the only one I remember clearly is the jump above the stage on 1).

That said, thanks for the vid plus clear instructions! Got the heart and am on my way to getting all the ones on the main levels!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

CJacobs posted:

I dunno if you can really reduce one of the most popular video games ever made

(in north america)

The NES didnt sell amazingly over here so you're actually not that likely to run into someone who's played it. Ain't worldwide perspective a bitch

Also I'm broadly just not a fan of the solution to a puzzle being reliant on you knowing the intricacies of a totally unrelated video game.

Especially because it's just jarring as poo poo and totally out of place.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 8, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's a cute reference, but that's about it. As a puzzle it's not even that great since getting to the heart is trivial after that part.

And it's based on a reference to a thing in the original game where said game doesn't even tell you that's a thing you can even do. You'd only know about the white block thing in Mario 3 if you looked at a guide for that game.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Guide? Excuse me friend but the white block trick is something you learn from your friend at recess and don’t believe until you get home to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The developer should obviously apologize for sticking a reference to his favorite childhood game in his game,